Sony's Yoshida: "We need Nintendo to be very successful."

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by MLBknights58 (5015 posts) -

Checked first 2 pages, saw nothing about this, Lock if old/irrelevant as usual.

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/11/13/sony-we-need-nintendo-to-be-very-successful/

An interesting viewpoint to be sure, couldn't help but feel he complimented and also took a shot at Nintendo as well, how can two major console manufacturers not be direct competitors? Hopefully Nintendo turns its console into as major a success as its handheld brands, but that to me is very unlikely, changes need to be made in Ninty's top offices as far as I'm concerned.

[President of Sony Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida has told IGN that his company needs Nintendo to thrive for the sake of the video game industry. In order to preserve traditional gaming – via dedicated controllers with actual buttons and analog sticks – the executive suggests that Nintendo and Sony must coexist in a world where touch-based gaming by way of smartphones and tablets continues to gain popularity. Yoshida, who owns two Wii U consoles, classifies both firms as being in the same category and not as direct competitors.

#2 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6627 posts) -

>Nintendo

>Dedicated controllers with buttons

What

#3 Posted by Shewgenja (10700 posts) -

Nintendo rocks! My opinion is that they have gone a little bit wayward of the core gamer, but that's nothing they can't fix. They have quality franchises and when they are banging on all 12 cylinders, they are hard to beat.

#4 Edited by SinjinSmythe (789 posts) -

Don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth. Yoshi is a troll and a PR whore.

#5 Posted by MajesticShea (730 posts) -

Sony is so caring :)

#6 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6854 posts) -

He's right. The last thing I want to see is touchscreens wholly replacing buttons. Somebody needs to fight for the cause. Glad to see his priorities are in order.

Nintendo needs to hire this guy.

#7 Edited by Gue1 (11184 posts) -

@Capitan_Kid said:

>Nintendo

What

mobile gaming vs console games. Console games have dedicated controllers while mobile games on your iPad or phone have integrated touch based controls and stuff.

#8 Posted by Crossel777 (5715 posts) -

Well Nintendo are kind of failing at the whole successful thing right now.

#9 Posted by AK_the_Twilight (285 posts) -
@Crossel777 said:

Yeah, the 3DS is being murdered by the Vita, and Nintendo are near bankrupt because of that. Oh wait...

Back on topic: kudos for Yoshida. I really hate how touch screens are beginning to eclipse buttons, but I don't blame Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft for that: it's really Apple's fault. The fact that they use stupid touch-screens with button overlays (aka fake buttons that don't work) or gyroscopic controls to promote crappy 99 cent "games" is criminal to the gaming world.

I like this idea of gaming coexistence that Yoshida pitches. All three main console developers have made strides toward making gaming better, all missteps aside. They're encouraging each other to improve and consumers are reaping the benefits because of it.

#10 Posted by charizard1605 (60835 posts) -

@Capitan_Kid said:

>Nintendo

What

Please tell me this is sarcasm. Nintendo has consistently strived to take dedicated controllers to push boundaries.

@Crossel777 said:

*looks at 3DS*

Uh huh

#11 Posted by Heil68 (46722 posts) -

Cool of him to say that.

#12 Posted by superbuuman (3187 posts) -

He doesn't like touch screen gaming..that's already a win in my book. :)

#13 Posted by Bruin1986 (1338 posts) -

Yes, I agree with him that Nintendo isn't directly competing with either Sony or Microsoft on the home console front.

An average customer could walk into a Best Buy, or check out some reviews on the internet, and be reasonably convinced to buy either a MS or Sony console over the other one even if initially that customer wanted the other console.

That same customer that walked in wanting a Wii U, isn't going to be really persuaded to get one of the other consoles, because they are sufficiently different to be considered almost a different category. This works vice versa as well.

#14 Edited by blaznwiipspman1 (6090 posts) -

well I have to agree, even though im getting older, the only console im sticking with is the Wii U and my ultimate gaming PC. Last week I spent $100 on 3 nintendo 3ds games, and in a month im going to grab the wii U and a game or two.

#15 Edited by Crossel777 (5715 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Capitan_Kid said:

>Nintendo

What

Please tell me this is sarcasm. Nintendo has consistently strived to take dedicated controllers to push boundaries.

@Crossel777 said:

*looks at 3DS*

Uh huh

Quite obviously I'm talking about the Wii U, which is what Sony is probably referring to. 3DS competition is meaningless to Sony. PS Vita is already getting trashed beyond repair.

#16 Posted by Crossel777 (5715 posts) -

@Crossel777 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Capitan_Kid said:

>Nintendo

What

@Crossel777 said:

*looks at 3DS*

Uh huh

Quite obviously I'm talking about the Wii U, which is what Sony is probably referring to and the Wii U is not successful by any means. It's laughable to think it holds any kind of competition against the PS4. 3DS competition is meaningless to Sony, PS Vita is already getting trashed beyond repair.

#17 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (5136 posts) -

I don't buy it that they aren't in competition. Developers aren't doing a lot with the Wii Us touch screen and it's more of less getting the same games as the X360/PS3, just with 3rd party difficulties.