Sony's "Steam-esque" sales are just the tip of the iceberg

• 47 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

First we have PS+, which gives free games and great discounts. And then we get price drops and great deals on games (even bigger discount with PS+). Sony has come along way from being clueless like they were at the beginning of 7th gen to just steam rolling everyone in the 8th! Also, this benefits the Vita greatly. I can pick up games like Lumines today for $6.49. Nintendo games never go down in price!

#2 Edited by MonsieurX (29738 posts) -

Also,"free" games

EDIT: ...that has to go

- mac

#3 Posted by kalipekona (2297 posts) -

You pay for PS+ so how can the games be free? You don't even own them anyway. You are leasing them as long as you pay the subscription fee. The Sony sales still pale in comparison to Steam sales.

#6 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

You pay for PS+ so how can the games be free? You don't even own them anyway. You are leasing them as long as you pay the subscription fee. The Sony sales still pale in comparison to Steam sales.

PS+ also gets you greater discounts on game for actual ownership. Like for instance they may have a temporary price cut for all but an even greater discount for PS+ users. But yes, you do have to have it for the ones they give out each month (unless stated otherwise. Like one time I got a game completely for free). But anyway, you get a ton of games from PS+ and if you are patient, you can get a one year PS+ membership for $30/$40 bucks, which is not bad at all.

#7 Edited by SolidTy (42560 posts) -

I'm assuming you are talking these recently announced PSN deals, TC?

I think I'm going to pick up Super Motherload finally after waiting this long. I had fun with the Demo last summer before the PS4 launched. $3 and some change PS4 version comes with PS3 version. Even when I like them, I don't pay full price for DD games, but I was waiting for $5 price-point, and this is it.

Actually, I don't see Lumines in the list, so that must be a different deal on PSN.

#8 Posted by bobbetybob (19213 posts) -

You can pick up 10 year old games for $6.50?!

ALL PRAISE SONY!

I can pick up Thief for £20 brand new on PC, shove that up your PS+.

#10 Edited by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

ALL PRAISE SONY!

You still overpaid...

#11 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16176 posts) -

ALL PRAISE SONY!

I don't get your post. The majority of games part of the big sale are very recent. The discount on the majority of titles is quite good as well.

#12 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

The big difference is that when Steam has a sale, thousands of games go on sale.

Well, that, and PC gamers don't have to spend $50 a year to enjoy the sales.

#13 Edited by Kaze_no_Mirai (11159 posts) -

Yeah... I wouldn't call those sales "Steam-esque"

#14 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (7122 posts) -

ALL PRAISE SONY!

I got Dirt 3 and Mortal Kombat for $5 on xbox live. LOL@cows

#15 Posted by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

ALL PRAISE SONY!

that's games are priced on steam and gog,

so what are you getting at>?

#16 Edited by vincent380 (2243 posts) -

Ni No Kuni for 7 bucks!? that is beyond a steal.

I may pick up Rayman Legends.

#17 Edited by mrintro (1354 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

I'm assuming you are talking these recently announced PSN deals, TC?

I think I'm going to pick up Super Motherload finally after waiting this long. I had fun with the Demo last summer before the PS4 launched. $3 and some change PS4 version comes with PS3 version. Even when I like them, I don't pay full price for DD games, but I was waiting for $5 price-point, and this is it.

Actually, I don't see Lumines in the list, so that must be a different deal on PSN.

Lumines is not on sale, $6.49 is regular price now

#18 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

ALL PRAISE SONY!

Lumines Electronic Symphony is not that old lol. If you want an even better example, they had Killzone Mercenary for like $7 bucks during the holidays (the game out in November!)

#19 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4523 posts) -

@bobbetybob said:

ALL PRAISE SONY!

yes the digital deals on consoles are getting better. i got dark souls 1 pretty cheap a short while back.

although from the amount of quoting going on, it seems quite a few people missed bobbety bob's points. one of which is basically that the cheapest price i can get thief on pc today, is much cheaper than the cheapest price i can get thief on consoles today (digital or retail).

plus the pc version plays extremely well- kalikopa's thread and totalbiscuit's wtf is.

#20 Posted by bobbetybob (19213 posts) -
@bobbetybob said:

ALL PRAISE SONY!

You still overpaid...

Didn't buy it, just saying I could. And almost every new game is available for £30 and under on PC if you shop around, compared to £50 on PS4/Xbone. It's those over inflated prices that have made PC a lot more attractive to me right now.

@bobbetybob said:

ALL PRAISE SONY!

I don't get your post. The majority of games part of the big sale are very recent. The discount on the majority of titles is quite good as well.

I was just referring to him picking Lumines as the game to demonstrate how great the sales are, thought it was a silly choice considering stuff like Ni No Kuni is only $6.99.

#21 Posted by hoosier7 (3780 posts) -

They need to start the game prices for DD at a more competitive level at the game's launch. They do that and they've got most of my game purchases. Atm though you can still find games very easily for £10-15 less than they're price on the online store.

The sales are good and PS+ is awesome, got a huge backlog of PS3 games because of it and i'm sure within a year or two the quality of the lineup will be restored on the PS4 too. I've played lots of games i wouldn't have because of that subscription and found new franchises.

#22 Posted by bobbetybob (19213 posts) -
@mrintro said:

@bobbetybob said:

ALL PRAISE SONY!

Lumines Electronic Symphony is not that old lol. If you want an even better example, they had Killzone Mercenary for like $7 bucks during the holidays (the game out in November!)

Oh yeah I forgot they made a new one (lol Vita). Like CKA said the sales on consoles are definitely getting good, a little patience definitely pays off on every platform, if you're not sure about a game might as well just wait and it'll probably be available for less then half price within a year.

#23 Edited by Jankarcop (9146 posts) -

Now just if its game didn't look like shit and run like shit and have a terrible gaming library.

oh and no competative scene what so ever.

#24 Edited by AzatiS (7348 posts) -

@bobbetybob said:

ALL PRAISE SONY!

You gave 500$ for that Xbone and you laughing to cows ?! I wouldnt do that if i was you !

#25 Posted by clr84651 (5392 posts) -

I've gotten 8 games since the PS4 launch without paying extra. 5/8 which I've enjoyed a lot and finished. They're not free, they're included with PS+ $50\yr.

#26 Posted by clr84651 (5392 posts) -

@treedoor said:

The big difference is that when Steam has a sale, thousands of games go on sale.

Translation- I like PC gaming & no matter what anyone else says about other platforms I don't care about it.

#27 Posted by lostrib (35080 posts) -

Their PSN sale prices are only even close to being good if you have PS+

#28 Edited by speedfreak48t5p (7122 posts) -

@AzatiS said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@bobbetybob said:

ALL PRAISE SONY!

You gave 500$ for that Xbone and you laughing to cows ?! I wouldnt do that if i was you !

I never bought a xbone, what the hell are you talking about?

#29 Edited by AzatiS (7348 posts) -

@AzatiS said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@bobbetybob said:

ALL PRAISE SONY!

We know you will !!

#30 Edited by Opus_Rea-333 (963 posts) -

@AzatiS said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@AzatiS said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@bobbetybob said:

ALL PRAISE SONY!

We know you will !!

why are the cows like this? not every people who show you the many fault PS4 has is a lem.

#31 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11159 posts) -

@clr84651 said:

@treedoor said:

Translation- I like PC gaming & no matter what anyone else says about other platforms I don't care about it.

He made a good point. No type of paid subscription is needed for Steam like it is to get those "Steam-esque" sales TC is going on about. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the PSN sales, but he brought up a valid point.

#32 Edited by kipsta77 (958 posts) -

You still have to pay for the PS Plus subscription...

I've seen many PS+ sales and deals, they're good, but cute compared to Steam's sales.

#33 Edited by Randolph (10479 posts) -

ALL PRAISE SONY!

Ni No Kuni is not 10 years old.

#34 Posted by mems_1224 (46724 posts) -

The PSN sale this week is pretty shitty. Nothing good. MS had a pretty good sale last week though. Got Payday 2 for $12

#35 Posted by mems_1224 (46724 posts) -

@Randolph said:

@bobbetybob said:

ALL PRAISE SONY!

Ni No Kuni is not 10 years old.

no but it is a crappy game

#36 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

@clr84651 said:

@treedoor said:

I'm sure the last time you ever quoted me you called me a lem.

It's not about liking PC gaming. It's that someone compared PS+ sales to Steam sales as if they're at all comparable.

Call me when Sony actually does something good that makes me think I shouldn't spend all my gaming time on PC.

#37 Edited by no-scope-AK47 (2759 posts) -

Don't take steam's name in vain TC. Sony has the best sales on console but they can't even carry steam's jockstrap.

#38 Posted by HavocV3 (7934 posts) -

Paying for "Steam-esque" deals.

L

#39 Posted by AzatiS (7348 posts) -

@AzatiS said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@AzatiS said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@bobbetybob said:

ALL PRAISE SONY!

We know you will !!

why are the cows like this? not every people who show you the many fault PS4 has is a lem.

Hahaha , wanna hear the funny part ?

He is a subscriber on Xbox live , therefore he is a lem.

I dont own neither a PS3 nor PS4 let alone im a PSN+ subscriber !! Now what !?! How the hell im a cow ?! haha! Its the opposite bro , not every people that show you the truth in your face has to be a fanboy. I was like that on PS3 release , people was calling me a sheep/lem back then. Truth hurts thats all.

Ps4 fault is that giving low price games thru PSN+ or costing 100$ less while is the better hardware overall ? Lems you are funny !! Keep it up!

#40 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

@HavocV3 said:

L

actually there are discounts in general, just bigger discounts if you are a PS+ member (rightfully so). also, PS+ more than pays for itself if you're an actual gamer and like to play games..

#41 Edited by MBirdy88 (7858 posts) -

@mrintro: You need to have good games to go with the good sales first. maybe in a year or 2.

#42 Edited by speedfreak48t5p (7122 posts) -

@AzatiS said:

@Opus_Rea-333 said:

@AzatiS said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@AzatiS said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@bobbetybob said:

ALL PRAISE SONY!

We know you will !!

I dont own neither a PS3 nor PS4 let alone im a PSN+ subscriber !! Now what !?! How the hell im a cow ?! haha! Its the opposite bro , not every people that show you the truth in your face has to be a fanboy. I was like that on PS3 release , people was calling me a sheep/lem back then. Truth hurts thats all.

Ps4 fault is that giving low price games thru PSN+ or costing 100$ less while is the better hardware overall ? Lems you are funny !! Keep it up!

I only have a free silver account though. You're so funny.

#43 Edited by lostrib (35080 posts) -

@mrintro said:

@HavocV3 said:

L

actually there are discounts in general, just bigger discounts if you are a PS+ member (rightfully so). also, PS+ more than pays for itself if you're an actual gamer and like to play games..

except the normal discounts are pretty shitty. And I would imagine if you were an "actual gamer" and like to play games then you would probably already purchased the games that release on PS+ since they tend to be older, you also have no choice of what games come via PS+ and you don't get to keep those games unless you continue to subscribe. Although it is a better service than XBL Gold, playstation fanboys need to stop holding it up as the greatest thing since sliced bread

#44 Edited by AzatiS (7348 posts) -

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@AzatiS said:

@Opus_Rea-333 said:

@AzatiS said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@AzatiS said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@bobbetybob said:

ALL PRAISE SONY!

We know you will !!

You go buy an Xbone i didnt answer to you and learn to read please ! I said youre subscriber and guess what .. you are!

#45 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (7122 posts) -

@AzatiS said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@AzatiS said:

@Opus_Rea-333 said:

@AzatiS said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@AzatiS said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@bobbetybob said:

ALL PRAISE SONY!

We know you will !!

You go buy Xbone i didnt answer to you !

I'll go buy a PS4 instead for the lulz

#46 Posted by AzatiS (7348 posts) -
@lostrib said:

@mrintro said:

@HavocV3 said:

L

except the normal discounts are pretty shitty. And I would imagine if you were an "actual gamer" and like to play games then you would probably already purchased the games that release on PS+ since they tend to be older, you also have no choice of what games come via PS+ and you don't get to keep those games unless you continue to subscribe. Although it is a better service than XBL Gold, playstation fanboys need to stop holding it up as the greatest thing since sliced bread

Both services are shity , internet play should have been free . If PC games can make it happen why not consoles?. Thats the bottom line.

#47 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28367 posts) -

Steam esque? lol the sony sales and the microsoft sales don't even touch on the steam sales in sheer quantity and deep discounts.

#48 Posted by AzatiS (7348 posts) -

@AzatiS said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@AzatiS said:

@Opus_Rea-333 said:

@AzatiS said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@AzatiS said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@bobbetybob said:

ALL PRAISE SONY!

We know you will !!

You go buy Xbone i didnt answer to you !

I'll go buy a PS4 instead for the lulz

Whatever you buy , youll always subscribe !

#49 Posted by clr84651 (5392 posts) -

@clr84651 said:

@treedoor said:

He made a good point. No type of paid subscription is needed for Steam like it is to get those "Steam-esque" sales TC is going on about. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the PSN sales, but he brought up a valid point.

True, but my translation is still correct. He's a PC gamer & doesn't care what's on Playstation.

#50 Posted by clr84651 (5392 posts) -

@treedoor said:

@clr84651 said:

@treedoor said:

I'm sure the last time you ever quoted me you called me a lem.

It's not about liking PC gaming. It's that someone compared PS+ sales to Steam sales as if they're at all comparable.

Call me when Sony actually does something good that makes me think I shouldn't spend all my gaming time on PC.

You probably acting like a Lem. Lol