Sony's marketing budget for PS4 largest in its history

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by charizard1605 (55955 posts) -

Alongside revealing their Since ’95 video, a nostalgic look at PlayStation’s history and heritage, Sony have teased that their PS4 advertising campaign will be massive, saying that it’s “the biggest in our history” to TSA.

So, expect big things from their PS4 advertising campaign, which they’ll be gearing up over the next month or so, until the US launch of November 15th and then continuing past that to the European launch on the 29th, with plenty of post-release advertising to follow.

They’re also teasing plans to get this Since ’95 video out to the masses over the next few weeks, so they’re clearly aiming at a wider audience than you and I; more than just the people reading articles and watching videos on gaming sites, anyway.

Sony is doing everything right here. The hype around the PS4 is insane. Their marketing seems to be incredible, especially after how bad it was for the PSP, PS3, and PS Vita. We are talking about PS2, Wii levels of hype and hysteria here.

Just for reference, here are the four PS4 ads we have so far:

The last one especially is one of my favorite game related ads of all time.

They are doing a stellar job.

The console war is on, and so far Sony has such a massive lead, it's ridiculous.

#2 Posted by KellyKelly (377 posts) -

I have to be honest, I have yet to see a X1 commercial on my tv, but I've seen a ton of great PS4 commercials

#3 Posted by Sweenix (5397 posts) -

inb4 a cow circle jerk, and butt hurt lems

#4 Posted by charizard1605 (55955 posts) -

I have to be honest, I have yet to see a X1 commercial on my tv, but I've seen a ton of great PS4 commercials

You have not seen any Xbox One commercials because there are none; Microsoft is doing f*ck all here.

I mean, for crying out loud, the Xbox One is the official console of the NFL, yet the commercial breaks are flooded with PS4 ads, with the Xbox One nowhere in sight.

#5 Edited by treedoor (7634 posts) -

Would prefer to see less money spent on ads, and more on games.

#6 Edited by KellyKelly (377 posts) -

@kellykelly said:

You have not seen any Xbox One commercials because there are none; Microsoft is doing f*ck all here.

I mean, for crying out loud, the Xbox One is the official console of the NFL, yet the commercial breaks are flooded with PS4 ads, with the Xbox One nowhere in sight.

Well I guess that explains it lol

You're right, IMO this gen is all about Sony and Nintendo

#7 Posted by BillyMays (1166 posts) -

Microsoft should hire kevin butler, I see him doing Wendy commercials now

#8 Posted by voljin1987 (693 posts) -

I must say.. that last ad was awesome.. brought back some good memories.

#9 Edited by xCocoTheMonkeyx (356 posts) -

That last trailer was pretty good.

#10 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

wii u - needed a massive marketing budget but didn't get it

ps4 - doesn't even need marketing

#11 Edited by waltefmoney (18030 posts) -

Think of how many games they would have made if that money went to development instead of marketing. Sony really has lost its focus.

#12 Posted by Netret0120 (2026 posts) -

PS4 shall dominate this gen.

#13 Posted by Syn_Valence (1348 posts) -

Think of how many games they would have made if that money went to development instead of marketing. Sony really has lost its focus.

Seriously, why do you even try anymore......just stop

#14 Posted by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

I feel PS2 levels of market domination coming in with the PS4. Sony just seems to be on a roll lately, hitting every mark since the February reveal. The amount of hype is insane and the marketing is there to backup the hype.

^__^ That last ad is one of the best videogame related ads I've ever seen. It literally gave me goosebumps from all the nostalgia.

MS just isn't doing shit with their marketing in comparison. This is the only ad I've seen for Xbone and I saw it only once. Look at the disproportionately high number of dislikes it has and compare it to the Sony ads lol.....

#15 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -

Return of the King baby.

Sony leading the industry is the way it should be.

#16 Posted by waltefmoney (18030 posts) -

@waltefmoney said:

Seriously, why do you even try anymore......just stop

Cuz its fun.

#17 Posted by Syn_Valence (1348 posts) -

Bout freakin time, how many gens did it take for it to sink in...........SPEND MORE MONEY ON MARKETING.....Sony is on point this gen for sure but, wheres my Suikoden 2 though F**kers

#18 Edited by Floppy_Jim (25584 posts) -

Their marketing is the best it's been for years. Crying hipster octopus babies begone.

#20 Posted by always_explicit (2702 posts) -

Are people surprised that a new product is getting a marketing push??...Whilst they are doing a substantial deal better than MS with regards to marketing im certainly not seeing anything approaching hysteria for the PS4.

#21 Posted by TheGuardian03 (21518 posts) -

#22 Edited by finalstar2007 (24926 posts) -

Cannot freaking wait to get my hands on the console! seriously excited!

#23 Edited by lhughey (4222 posts) -

I'm glad that Sony has got good marketing this time around. No artistic crying babies and ish like that.

#24 Posted by YD_11 (1624 posts) -

Always a good investment to spend money on marketing. It's smart by them to get out in front in this regard, imo, because once the consoles are set up in kiosks next to each other for consumers to compare real time, the pull to X1 could be strong

#25 Posted by Shewgenja (8437 posts) -

RETURN OF THE KING!

#26 Edited by jhonMalcovich (4495 posts) -

Comercials won´t replace games. Lol.

#27 Posted by KellyKelly (377 posts) -

Their marketing is the best it's been for years. Crying hipster octopus babies begone.

LOL, these never get old

#28 Posted by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -

would hope so... Prices have gone up

#29 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8203 posts) -

I dont see the massive lead that some people say. Its kind of funny, if I based

Are people surprised that a new product is getting a marketing push??...Whilst they are doing a substantial deal better than MS with regards to marketing im certainly not seeing anything approaching hysteria for the PS4.

Thats what I am wonderin. Where is the hysteria? Other than some online forums I am not see it in real life.

#30 Posted by FinalFighters (1385 posts) -

i must say bravo to Sony for dishing out the great marketing for the PS4. i got teary eyed at the "PlaystationMemories" ad..it brought back alot of good memories from when i was a kid till now.

#31 Posted by always_explicit (2702 posts) -

I dont see the massive lead that some people say. Its kind of funny, if I based

@always_explicit said:

Thats what I am wonderin. Where is the hysteria? Other than some online forums I am not see it in real life.

Its self generated hysteria. People trying to justify their purchases.A prime example of a very vocal minority claiming that their thoughts and opinions = everyone in the world. Amusing.

#32 Edited by Heil68 (43397 posts) -

When you are living by the By gamers For gamers mantra, it's not really surprising. Sony is living PROOF of the Live, Learn and Love philosophy. We are humbled by your greatness Sony. Thank you for caring about us gamers.

#33 Edited by lamprey263 (23088 posts) -

They must be paying for faux social internet marketing, pretending to be fanboys who are excited about Knack and shit.

#34 Posted by Quaker-w00ts (1584 posts) -

I do like the Perfect Day trailer, it's so catchy.

#35 Posted by Douevenlift_bro (5032 posts) -

This ^

#36 Posted by Chozofication (2755 posts) -

The return of that all encompassing Ps2 market share, I wouldn't doubt it.

#37 Posted by Chozofication (2755 posts) -

wii u - needed a massive marketing budget but didn't get it

ps4 - doesn't even need marketing

Lol so true.

#38 Posted by Desmonic (13378 posts) -

At this point I won't be really commenting on any sides failures or success. I'll just wait for the launch of each respective console and let their own numbers speak for themselves. I have a hunch NA will still be Xbox land (by what margin I don't really know) but Europe will be completely PS land by comparison. We'll see.