Sony's in a "bag of hurt" because of Blu-ray

• 169 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Sony dying because of BluRay, The Cell processor, Vaio, Overpriced TV's, loosing money on PS4......................................damn the list could go on and on.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@locopatho said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Vinyl is still around because it is superior to the formats that followed it. Blu ray is also superior to digital, though that won't still be the case when internet speeds get faster and and storage becomes cheaper. Until that time, though, blu ray remains the superior method of watching a movie, and while digital is better than dvd, it is crap next to blu ray.

How is vinyl superior?

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question487.htm

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#103  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts
Cranler said:

I can't speak for 1080 ppv but netflix super hd streaming is on par with blu ray.

That's simply untrue. I have all the bells and whistles from the Plasma display to the 7.1 surround and Netflix super HD can't touch it.

That statement reads as a justification for submitting to a lesser quality as it is cheaper...it also could be a claim made by Netflix PR. It's wishful thinking by those that don't want to accept the truth (even though Netflix super HD does do a good job) and think they are getting Blu-Ray quality. It's simply not true, and to be honest, I would love that to be true. I conduct tests all the time and I have incredibly speedy internet I pay a lot per month. If this was an Audiovisual forum, you would be risking a ban for trolling....lucky it's just SW, lol. For the high speeds I'm getting on Internet service a month, man I wish this was true, but a simple test and I know it's wrong. Netflix is convenient, that's for sure, but let's not warp the facts.

Some people have shitty displays and/or tiny displays. Some people have poor eyesight. In those cases, I could say they would be right in Netflix visuals looking on par, but that's only because their display or optics are limited.

Besides the visuals not matching Blu-ray pixel for pixel, you also get far inferior sound on netflix streaming (Audiophiles know this), you have to deal with a clumsy fast forward / rewind in comparison to discs (forget freeze frame!), you also don't get Deleted scenes, audio commentary from the actors, producers, writers,and directors, alternate endings.

Streaming is also clumsier than a discs. Freeze frame, fast forward, rewind, still by still, etc. This isn't a make or break for casual audiences, but for me when I want to go back and read a note or clue in a movie, it's annoying to do so on Netflix Streaming or streaming in general (HBO Go, HULU, Amazon, etc). It's also dependent as sometimes the quality adjusts due to a hiccup and you get compression artifacts popping up.

The sound is only 5.1 and certainly isn't up to speed with High Blu-ray Audio standards. That's a huge problem for me right off the bat. When you spend thousands getting a home theatre up, you don't want to watch or listen to inferior products.

It's nice for what it is but I would NEVER watch a movie I loved on Netflix. I will take the time to insert the Avengers Blu-Ray for example and I'm rewarded for my effort every single time. Maybe one day Netflix will get there, but it's not today....and by the time it does, 4K will be my thing.

I find it particularly amusing that Neflix marketing are calling it "SuperHD".

"With an expected total bitrate (audio + video) of 7 Mbps (2D) and 12 Mbps (3D), that's significantly less than the average video bitrates of most commercially available titles (ranging from a low of 14 Mbps, but averaging well over 20 Mbps with some titles chewing up well over 30 Mbps - again, for video only)."

"Super" indeed.

I am still fascinated by the seemingly large portion of the population that places a higher premium on portability than audio/video quality. I understand it though, it's incredibly convenient.

As a huge Film Aficionado, I will always go for the best quality in visuals, sound, and features for my favorite movies. Netflix is for experimental movies or classics I don't care to own and are conveniently there to Stream. I think streaming is nice and wonderful and can be the future...but there are major drawbacks that enthusiasts like myself will continue to point out and correct until they are removed.

Here's a link to a House of Cards Blu-Ray vs. Netflix quality discussion. House of Cards was a Netflix Premiered program, btw.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

@Desmonic: man i agree, i very much agree. this all started from me saying the optical medium is for n00bs (i use n00b as an endearing term because they need help and i love helping) and yes - the optical medium is the easy way to go about installing windows. however, the option exists to go without it, i don't need an optical drive - so i go without it.

and yes, that's very much a personal preference thing and it's cool to see hear why posters like yourself, @SolidTy (very fair write up in post 103 btw) still like the optical medium for movies. these things don't appeal to me of course but this world takes all sorts.

i have to say, i don't see discs dying. especially because 2/3 of the next genners will play blu ray films. i see discs doing very well, and i see streaming picking up speed - not unlike my internet connection.

g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

They could be loosing money and tons of sales in other divisions...
But at least they are taking risks for making better games and 'upping' the industry.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Cranler said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@GarGx1 said:

The people who are saying physical media is the only way and digital is crap, your' kids will laugh at you.

You really need to get used to things changing.

In my life time alone I've seen TV's go from predominately black and white to the advent of 4k and tagging hard on it's heals will be 8k. I've seen music go from 8 track to cassettes to CD to DVD. I've seen the advent of video tape and the battle of Betamax and VHS (VHS won in Europe btw ;) ) then on to CD's, then DVD's and then Bluray (nearly another round of Betamax/VHS against HD) and now we have digital, be it streaming or downloading. It's here, it'll stay and big media companies will embrace it or die off. Most will embrace it because they make far more money per copy from digital.

About the only media format that has, so far, survived is vinyl records (even if it's mostly in a niche market now). General music, video and gaming will be 100% digital in the not so distant future. Look at PC for instance, we accepted digital as a medium a long time ago and out of the hundreds of games released on the platform ever year, it's the smallest section in every high street games retailer (actually this where the 'PC is dying' nonsense comes from). My prediction for the gen 9 consoles (if there is one in the same way as this generation) would be for digital only and you'll need to get all the material through Xbox Live or PSN.

MS nearly done it with Xbox One this gen but they completely misjudged the console audience. Over the next 5 - 8 years watch both Xbox One and PS4 move more and more towards digital as MS and Sony groom you all for a digital only future. Probably the only possible way for them to destroy the second hand games market as well.

Vinyl is still around because it is superior to the formats that followed it. Blu ray is also superior to digital, though that won't still be the case when internet speeds get faster and and storage becomes cheaper. Until that time, though, blu ray remains the superior method of watching a movie, and while digital is better than dvd, it is crap next to blu ray.

I can't speak for 1080 ppv but netflix super hd streaming is on par with blu ray.

The audio is not as good, and the video is slightly worse. It's not bad by any means, but I would never use Netflix to stream a movie that I had handy on blu ray.

Most people don't have a fancy sound system and I don't think most people would happen to have the blu ray version of a movie handy.

Rentals are where most of the money is and most people prefer the convenience of streaming and ppv. 2 trips in the car vs no trips is a no brainer. Thats why blockbuster is dying and redbox is now on a downward spiral.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts
Loading Video...

For Sony.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@locopatho said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

How is vinyl superior?

So you think you can hear the difference between the "smooth analogue groove" of vinyl and the 65,000+ sampling points per second on a CD? You hear a CD song and think "Man if only it had 67,000 sampling points per second, it'd be so much better!". I call BS.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@locopatho said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@locopatho said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

How is vinyl superior?

So you think you can hear the difference between the "smooth analogue groove" of vinyl and the 65,000+ sampling points per second on a CD? You hear a CD song and think "Man if only it had 67,000 sampling points per second, it'd be so much better!". I call BS.

I don't have any vinyl, but by definition, it is superior to anything else, and obviously enough people can hear the difference for it to still be sold.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By locopatho

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@locopatho said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@locopatho said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

How is vinyl superior?

I don't have any vinyl, but by definition, it is superior to anything else, and obviously enough people can hear the difference for it to still be sold.

Nope. For vinyl to be superior a human would have to be able to hear a difference of 1/65,000th of a second AND argue that the imperfections in the vinyl manufacturing process were worth it (that "hiss" you can hear on records). I gotta call bullshit, sorry.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

1) Blu-ray movie prices don't seem to go down in price as fast as they should.

2) Blu-ray combo pack prices are obscenely high with items people generally don't want (DVD and digital copy)

3) Streaming has taken off in a big way with tons of options to choose from whereas the physical renting options are more limited. It can even go so far as people wishing to only stream because the movies they are streaming are kind of a one and done experience. With so many movies coming out, especially fewer that people seem to want to own and watch multiple times vs. mediocre films you watch once.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

@RossRichard said:

Just wait until the ISPs start taking advantage of the death of net neutrality, and start charging more for bandwidth. Bluray will gain a resurgence.

Yup.

When the next gen games start clocking in at 50 GB+. People will quit all that jibber jabber about how DD is so "convenient".

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 locopatho

@Pray_to_me said:

@RossRichard said:

Just wait until the ISPs start taking advantage of the death of net neutrality, and start charging more for bandwidth. Bluray will gain a resurgence.

Yup.

When the next gen games start clocking in at 50 GB+. People will quit all that jibber jabber about how DD is so "convenient".

If only tech kept improving at an exponential rate instead of dooming us all to 56k modems 5ever (like 4ever, but longer)!

jsolidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 jsolidus
Member since 2011 • 171 Posts

I prefer the physical copy in games. I'm not willing to download a 50gb game.not only will it be a long download, it will take up hard drive space. the physical copy is worth it when it comes to the biger gb games. I can understand digital copies for indie games, music, maybe movies, since its a small download. however I want to own what I buy and be able to do whatever I want with it. I never liked itunes because i could only use itunes music(mp4s) on apple products. plus companies are able to take away what you buy? Ill stick with the physical copy. Im also not into digital books, if i buy digital book I expect to pay half of the price of a physical copy. I've only see a few dollars off which is not enough for to pay extra for a kindle or whatever. plus i buy books for less than a dollar, mostly old books but i have found new ones for cheap too.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@Desmonic said:

@kuu2 said:

@Desmonic said:

@Maddie_Larkin said:

You mean that when so many of us questioned Blu-Ray when it came out because steaming services was starting off were right? :o

pride in making the correct guess aside, this is pretty bad news, abeit predictable. Certain Things are nice to have on physical, and I absolutely hate to see any of the major players in the gaming industr hurt so badly -.-

I've serious doubts that you guessed any of this in 2005.

Actually many of us did.

Sure you did. In 2005. A time in which Youtube at best was merely some months old. I'm sure in 2005 "many of you" guessed streaming would kill Bluray and therefore Sony (and these 17 other companies) were absolutely wrong in their bet.

• Dolby Laboratories Inc.
  • DTS Inc.
  • Hitachi, Ltd.
  • Intel Corporation
  • LG Electronics
  • Mitsubishi Electric
  • Oracle Corporation
  • Panasonic Corporation
  • Pioneer Corporation
  • Royal Philips Electronics
  • Samsung Electronics
  • Sharp Corporation
  • TDK Corporation
  • Technicolor SA
  • 20th Century Fox
  • Walt Disney Motion Pictures Group
  • Warner Bros. Entertainment

Yeah. I'm super suuuuure it was a popular guess at the time.

Dude, hes right to a degree, a lot of people on this very board where saying that Blu-Ray wouldn't last and it was a silly idea because Digital downloads where the way of the future.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#118  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Did anyone think there would be another physical media format after Blu Ray? Another 6-7 years and everything will be all digital moving forward.

Physical game collectors will have their work cut out for them collecting what they can before it's all gone from the market for good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#119 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

blu-ray > netflix

netflix is convenient, though. when it comes to games, i like to collect physical copies. i like the idea of digging up that dusty old console from the attic in the future and firing up some old classics when the current online services are long dead.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

Blu ray is still the only true way to watch a movie to it's fullest, streaming services don't provide the quality as of yet, i mean most streaming companies show movies at 720p and the sound is still bad. i'd never trust streaming services for quality, physical for me is the only way to go, plus it means i actually own that film, and not pay just to borrow the thing.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#121  Edited By kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12054 Posts

@Desmonic said:

@delta3074 said:

@Desmonic said:

Sure you did. In 2005. A time in which Youtube at best was merely some months old. I'm sure in 2005 "many of you" guessed streaming would kill Bluray and therefore Sony (and these 17 other companies) were absolutely wrong in their bet.

• Dolby Laboratories Inc.
  • DTS Inc.
  • Hitachi, Ltd.
  • Intel Corporation
  • LG Electronics
  • Mitsubishi Electric
  • Oracle Corporation
  • Panasonic Corporation
  • Pioneer Corporation
  • Royal Philips Electronics
  • Samsung Electronics
  • Sharp Corporation
  • TDK Corporation
  • Technicolor SA
  • 20th Century Fox
  • Walt Disney Motion Pictures Group
  • Warner Bros. Entertainment

Yeah. I'm super suuuuure it was a popular guess at the time.

Dude, hes right to a degree, a lot of people on this very board where saying that Blu-Ray wouldn't last and it was a silly idea because Digital downloads where the way of the future.

Once again, in 2005 I have very serious doubts that the cause or motive used to say Bluray was a mistake was an all digital future. That only started showing a semblence of reality in 2010 with various digital services starting to become mainstream and the infrastructure finally being able to suport such things.

The important aspect I'm question is not that digital was the way to go, rather that in 2005 most people had the insight to know digital (in particular streaming as mentioned above) was going to dominate. Considering what was available then and in 2006/07 I find it very unlikely that it was a "popular opinion" as suggested.

Let us not forget that these were giant companies investing into what could be a "flop" by popular demand, if this proposition were true. I find it unlikely that these companies would have move forward with this if i were such an easy and common conclusion to assume. Youtube, probably the biggest and best advocate for an all digital future for quite some time (until content apps live Hulo, Netflix, etc started to become a thing), started only in 2005 for example.

You are the only one saying it was popular. Those are your words. Originally I said that Blu-Ray would be outclassed by DD and you said sure I did. Then I showed you proof from almost six years ago. They you decided to change the argument to it being popular. Many =/= popular.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I don't do digital I CAN'T DO DIGITAL MANG! INTERNET IN AUSTRALIA SUCKS BALLS! Please don't make me give up on gaming, I hope physical copies don't die off.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@shawn30 said:

@kuu2 said:

Lol, Blu-Ray. Everyone knew this but Sony.

Everything is going digital, and sooner rather than later. Online-Only and Cloud will rule within 2 years IMHO.

I disagree. In the process of companies trying to get their, there will undoubtedly be issues that arise in regards to ownership--even the lay person will be aware. In simplest terms, companies will not be able to hide behind small print and the gist of a digital purchase will be in bold so that consumer knows what they are getting into. When that word gets around, I think physical medium will begin to make a comeback. There's simply no quality control with digital, either. There's no returns. I remember back when Gladiator landed on bluray. The quality of the digital transfer was taken into question. For one, it was on the studios "diamond" label--a word for "of the highest quality" I believe. When the product got around to customers they didn't see this. In fact, they saw the complete opposite, made a claim, got returns on a product...etc etc. Digital doesn't allow this in its current form, and eventually if things ever do go all digital, you can bet that "ownership" will cease to exist and films will be more akin to "pay per view".

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By tymeservesfate
Member since 2003 • 2230 Posts

@stuff238 said:

Thank god I grew up in a world before the internet and am not addicted to any of this digital crap or smartphones. LOL at 2000's kids who get anxiety attacks when they lose their cell phone for a whole 30 seconds. hahaha.

If video games/movies/music go 100% digital, then I will simply quit buying them. I am not going all digital. Physical is the best. I like the fact I can own something and sell it later. Can't sell digital crap.

The only way they might get people like me on the digital train is if they offered a way to sell back the digital content so I can get back some money like 30%-50% like I do now for my physical games. But that will never happen. :(

u should keep up with the news...its already on the thinking board at Microsoft supposedly.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-considering-allowing-users-to-resell-digital-games/1100-6413770/

"Tipster suggests survey could hint at possible new game marketplace; if true, users may be able to buy and sell digital games.

Microsoft may be considering the introduction of a virtual marketplace that could allow users to buy and resell Xbox One digital purchases"

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#126  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Sony? I thought Sony no longer owned Blu-ray... what gives?

Anyway, Sony should ditch every business other then entertainment. Gaming, movies and music are the only ones giving them money, so fvck hardware manufacturing (besides consoles). Its just hurting them.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@gago-gago: Inevitable. Same thing happened with music. Digital (as in "no physical media") is everything now; regardless of the fact that most audio formats suck compared to CDs.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60679 Posts

@tymeservesfate said:

@stuff238 said:

Thank god I grew up in a world before the internet and am not addicted to any of this digital crap or smartphones. LOL at 2000's kids who get anxiety attacks when they lose their cell phone for a whole 30 seconds. hahaha.

If video games/movies/music go 100% digital, then I will simply quit buying them. I am not going all digital. Physical is the best. I like the fact I can own something and sell it later. Can't sell digital crap.

The only way they might get people like me on the digital train is if they offered a way to sell back the digital content so I can get back some money like 30%-50% like I do now for my physical games. But that will never happen. :(

u should keep up with the news...its already on the thinking board at Microsoft supposedly.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-considering-allowing-users-to-resell-digital-games/1100-6413770/

"Tipster suggests survey could hint at possible new game marketplace; if true, users may be able to buy and sell digital games.

Microsoft may be considering the introduction of a virtual marketplace that could allow users to buy and resell Xbox One digital purchases"

August 28, 2013

That was before MS decided to shit can their whole vision of the Xbone, after being humiliated and knocked the **** out at E3.

oh and from your credible source:

Microsoft may be considering the introduction of a virtual marketplace that could allow users to buy and resell Xbox One digital purchases, according to a reportedly leaked survey by a user on the NeoGAFforums.(lol)

I thought Lems hated CBOAT?

LOL

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#131  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

I've purchased far fewer movies/tv shows on blu-ray than I did on DVD. I've got maybe 15 blu-ray titles whereas I have well over 300 on DVD. And yes, streaming is a big reason why I've stopped buying physical media.

I don't watch movies that often anymore...don't want to commit 90-120 minutes to one sitting. Hollywood doesn't seem to have an original idea left, and superhero/comic book stuff is lame (IMO). I watch mostly TV shows, and I regularly rewatch (over and over and over) my favorite shows.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Heil68

@Desmonic said:

@Heil68: Now, now Heil. No need to crush their dreams :P

all in a days work. :P

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12054 Posts

@Heil68 said:

@tymeservesfate said:

@stuff238 said:

August 28, 2013

That was before MS decided to shit can their whole vision of the Xbone, after being humiliated and knocked the **** out at E3.

Microsoft may be considering the introduction of a virtual marketplace that could allow users to buy and resell Xbox One digital purchases, according to a reportedly leaked survey by a user on the NeoGAFforums.(lol)

LOL

Using SonyGaf to own Lems on GSpot is ultra fail.

Lems =/= SonyGaf Turds

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

It's crazy that people are so willing to sacrifice quality for convenience. I own hundreds of blu ray movies. I tried to watch some movies and TV shows streaming from netflix and the audio quality is garbage. Not to mention all of the video compression. I don't understand how 4K is going to be pushed in a digital future. The bandwidth doesn't exist and internet providers are falling in love with data caps. I will keep my physical disks thanks.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Heil68

@kuu2 said:

@Heil68 said:

@tymeservesfate said:

@stuff238 said:

August 28, 2013

LOL

Using SonyGaf to own Lems on GSpot is ultra fail.

Lems =/= SonyGaf Turds

I'm not the one who posted the article ;)

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By tymeservesfate

@Heil68 said:

@tymeservesfate said:

@stuff238 said:

August 28, 2013

LOL

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/microsoft-may-allow-users-to-loan-and-gift-digital-xbox-one-games-in-the-future/

Posted on March 26, 2014 AT 03:57am

"Spencer told GameSpot at GDC that Microsoft still “totally believe in that future” and we may see these features return. We believe in a digital future on our box,” he said. ”On the digital space, and the things that we’ve talked about, what that opens up…like we understand what games you own and who you are and how you move around and who you might want to loan rights to your games or gift your games to.

“We totally believe in that future. And any other marketplace you play in, these kind of mechanisms are out there.

“We are now fully heads down on thinking about and building out the future of our digital marketplace to enable what people would expect, and hopefully some things that will delight them beyond their expectations,” he added."

SSHHHHHHHHHHHH, smh lol.

@Desmonic: oh Desmoronic...stop it, lol.

SonySoldier-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By SonySoldier-_-
Member since 2012 • 1186 Posts

The Cows won the last physical war versus the lemmings when Blu-ray DESTROYED HD-DVD. The Cows are physically superior to the lemmings. That's why Blu-Ray was able to last much longer. TLHBO.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#139 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

Winning this battle required heavy investment from Sony, an investment that it expected to recoup with years of strong sales. Instead of the market moving from DVD to Blu-ray, consumers began to embrace downloads from Apple's iTunes service and streaming from sites like Netflix and Hulu. Although Blu-ray is integrated with some Windows laptops, it was never offered by Apple — Steve Jobs famously called the format a "bag of hurt." With the rise of movie streaming and downloads, Sony is now accepting that its disc business is not worth as much as it hoped.

Yet another thing Apple was right about.

Speaking of which -- did you know Apple has more credit cards on file than Amazon? About twice as many, in fact... Expect that to be important in the near future.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 musicalmac  Moderator

@Desmonic said:

@musicalmac: Apple bank? Apple bank.

:P

Don't think it's so crazy, my friend. Apple's been patenting all sorts of stuff that would indeed disrupt the modern day banking industry -- and I say more power to them.

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 tymeservesfate

@Desmonic said:

@tymeservesfate: Aww, still butthurt? :)

lol @ posting a vague article which in no way relates to your previous one. You should join kuu2 and start a logical thinking class! :D

butthurt about what...about playing you, and a room full of cows, like a fiddle? yea that's really is tearing me up...if only it didnt work so well :[ LOL.

plus what i posted a more recent article, for the sad actor, quoting Phil Spencer speaking about the subject. saying exactly what i stated before...that they're brainstorming the whole virtual marketplace thing. either pull ur head out the sand or dig it in there, and keep it there friend lol.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 musicalmac  Moderator

@Desmonic said:

Yeah well, no one touches mah munnies :P

That would be quite the twist though! :O

They've [APPLE] already patented a way for people to loan each other money via ones account (the same one you use for iTunes, the App Store, and anything else you buy from Apple). These sorts of truly disruptive rumors usually get people flustered, because there aren't many companies out there (read: there's only one company out there) with the financial resources and cultural influence to affect major changes like this.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#146  Edited By 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

To hell with digital. Physical all the way. With all the crap companies pull on digital content I don't trust them at all.

No reason to choose one or the other.

Although I have no interest in "owning" digital copies, I do like the Netflix model. I'm constantly checking out movies and old TV shows on there - it's so cheap, why not?. However Netflix is severely lacking in content if I'm looking for something specific. Whether it's a classic movie, or a new release, very rarely if I search Netflix looking to watch a specific movie will they actually have it. For that reason, I'm buying lots and lots of blu-rays and have been since about 2008 or so. I don't see that stopping for me any time in the future either, not so long as the digital services are so segregated, and their film libraries are so thin (and in many cases they are using inferior sources)

Certainly I'm not going to pay $10 or $20 to "own" a digital copy, but I might pay that to own the blu-ray (and many blu-rays come with both the physical and the digital/UV copy anyway - which makes it even dumber to pay absurd amounts for digital copy only).

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By tymeservesfate

@Desmonic said:

@tymeservesfate: Man you're a special kind of delusional lol

only took 4 days ;]

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By musicalmac  Moderator

@Desmonic said:

@musicalmac: Interesting. Though I'm not sure they want to enter that specific market, but I suppose we won't know until it actually happens.

Btw, do you know if the trash bin style Pro new Mac Pro is worth it for programming/graphics development? The specs look great and I'd be more than willing to take the hit on the price if I know it's something that'll last me some years but alas, I'm not very knowledgeable with Apple hardware in that regard.

lol, it does look like a fancy trash can. It's a monster, there's no doubt. Don't invest in it if you plan to play games with it, though. The Fire cards are great for productivity apps, but not so much for gaming.

In this day and age, you'd be better served with an iMac like the one I've got and not expect to edit 4K video in real-time with filters and effects.

However, the new Mac Pro isn't too hard to upgrade, so there's that, too.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#150  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@bezza2011 said:

Blu ray is still the only true way to watch a movie to it's fullest, streaming services don't provide the quality as of yet, i mean most streaming companies show movies at 720p and the sound is still bad. i'd never trust streaming services for quality, physical for me is the only way to go, plus it means i actually own that film, and not pay just to borrow the thing.

Yes Blu-Ray is the way to go if you have the system and money to by all those movies. I now only buy big budget special effect movies on Blu-Ray as I have the sound system for it. For other movies like The Hangover, Shawshank Redemption, The Godfather, Signs, Bridesmaids, etc.. you can watch on Netflix streaming. Really no need to watch those on Blu-Ray. Movies like Jurassic Park, The Matrix, Aliens, Avengers, etc.. you want to watch on Blu-Ray. Netflix is awesome and it does have a HD streaming option as well (and you can get Blu-Ray movies shipped to you.)