Sony resorting to "Student Labor".

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (6169 posts) -
#2 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26283 posts) -

Isn't this the same controversy Nintendo got crap for during the Wii U's development?

#3 Edited by WilliamRLBaker (28360 posts) -
#4 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (6169 posts) -

@WilliamRLBaker:

N4G just reported it from another source. That source is the second link.

#5 Posted by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -

There is absolutely no way I'm getting a PS4 at launch now.

#6 Posted by TheRealBigRich (726 posts) -

I was wondering when some one would post this cause if it was MS it would have been posted immediately .

#7 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7219 posts) -

This shouldn't surprise anyone. And if this deters you from buying a Playstation 4, you might as well throw out anything you have from Dell, Acer, Apple, Cisco, HP, Microsoft, Nintendo, Vizio, and Toshiba, because their products are all made by Foxconn.

#8 Posted by TruthBToldShow (328 posts) -
#9 Posted by AD216 (1719 posts) -

wow. How could anyone justify this?

#10 Edited by Armoured_Mage (766 posts) -

@AD216 said:

wow. How could anyone justify this?

i get cheaper products and the students get work experience. win-win.

#11 Posted by supa_badman (16626 posts) -

I wouldn't call it slave labour

maybe more like blackmail, which quite frankly, already kinda describes post-secondary

#12 Edited by LordOfPoms (1086 posts) -

This is how a lot of consumer electronics are made. It doesn't make it right, but labor laws in Asia are very lax and thus lots of companies, including Apple, have used questionable work forces.

#13 Edited by EPaul (9906 posts) -

Foxconn makes products for like half of the tech companies out there

#14 Edited by Shewgenja (8489 posts) -

I'm fairly sure that Foxconn is also producing XBox One. Thread am fail.

#15 Posted by LordOfPoms (1086 posts) -
#16 Edited by Netherscourge (16328 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Which is just a fancy term for "Slave Labor". Quality could also be a issue. Enjoy!

http://n4g.com/news/1370952/report-foxconn-using-forced-student-labor-to-build-sonys-ps4

http://www.gamesinasia.com/report-foxconn-using-forced-student-labor-to-build-sonys-ps4/

Yea, I'm sure FoxConn AND Pegatron are doing the EXACT SAME THING for Xbox One production...

BTW- Sony isn't forcing anyone to do anything, FOXCONN is. FOXCONN takes these insane contracts and then tries to exploit students in China into working 12 hours days for free.

They do this for Apple products, Microsoft Products, Acer, Nvidia, AMD-ATI, Intel.... EVERY COMPANY.

#17 Edited by lamprey263 (23210 posts) -

So that's how Sony got their costs down, made in Japan my ass, cheap Chinese shit with internal power brick is bound to burn my house down, no thanks.

#18 Posted by Shewgenja (8489 posts) -
#19 Posted by lostrib (34696 posts) -

it's Foxconn, what did you expect?

#20 Posted by jer_1 (7451 posts) -

All of the big 3 use foxconn's products, douchebags. Not cancelling my reserve on it though, not at all.

#21 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

Whatever helps keep cost down.

#22 Posted by stereointegrity (10701 posts) -

lol this has nothing to do with sony....foxxcon is the issue here and have been doing this for ever

apple

MS

Asus

Sony

Acer

are all used by them and its foxcon that are doing this shit...nice try tho alpha

#23 Edited by Netherscourge (16328 posts) -

Foxconn is the sleaziest company on the planet.

I like how they admit to violating their own "CODE", and yet do nothing about it since they have no 3rd party oversight in China.

The sad reality of this is that just about ALL electronics companies contract Foxconn to make stuff for them BECAUSE they are so cheap and they use what amounts to SLAVE LABOR to make their products.

Apple, Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, AMD-ATI, Nvidia, Intel, Gigabyte, MSI, ASUS, Kingston, Acer, EVGA, Corsair, Sharp, Panasonic, Dell, LG, Nokia.. hell, even Samsung does contracts with them.

Foxconn are the reason electronics jobs are lost in many other countries - because they use slave labor to make all those consoles, PC parts, smartphones, tablets, laptops, etc...

We're all hypocrites for buying this stuff too. So don't act like anyone here is innocent or some moral authority. You're all guilty of this crap, myself included.

#24 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (6169 posts) -

So anyways I think this is sick. Just cancelled my PS4 preorder and I gave the guy working the counter at Amazon a earful. Never buying anything Sony again. Just sick that they would stoop to this level.

#25 Edited by Shewgenja (8489 posts) -

So anyways I think this is sick. Just cancelled my PS4 preorder and I gave the guy working the counter at Amazon a earful. Never buying anything Sony again. Just sick that they would stoop to this level.

Who do you think you're fooling Foxbat?

#26 Posted by Daious (1130 posts) -

It isn't Sony. It is Foxconn. Please get the facts straight.

#27 Edited by X_CAPCOM_X (6067 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Ugh. You never pre-ordered a PS4. We all know this.

Additionally, this is NOT Sony; it's Foxconn.

Anyway student labor is very common in the sciences due to lack of funding. That's pretty much what most undergraduate directed research programs consist of: free labor for PIs and sometimes graduate students. EDIT: and sometimes graduate students are used as free labor as well.

#28 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (6169 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Ugh. You never pre-ordered a PS4. We all know this.

Additionally, this is NOT Sony; it's Foxconn.

Anyway student labor is very common in the sciences due to lack of funding. That's pretty much what most undergraduate directed research programs consist of: free labor for PIs and sometimes graduate students. EDIT: and sometimes graduate students are used as free labor as well.

Ha you guys got me! I was just going along with the negative media madness that is surrounding this next gen. I figured if everyone is doing it.............why not me. Wasn't Foxconn a boss in MGS? lol.

#29 Posted by Farsendor1 (415 posts) -

"In a statement issued to Quartz, the Chinese manufacturer acknowledged that engineering students from Xi'an Institute of Technology were assigned to night shifts and overtime in violation of the company's policies.

"Immediate actions have been taken to bring that campus into full compliance with our code and policies," it said, including "reinforcing the policies of no overtime and no night shifts for student interns, even though such work is voluntary, and reminding all interns of their rights to terminate their participation in the program at any time.""

Doesn't seem like Sony had anything to do with it.

#30 Posted by stereointegrity (10701 posts) -

then u better cancel ur xbone preorder because MS has been using foxconn for years

#31 Posted by RimacBugatti (1192 posts) -

It's unfortunate that Sony decided to use a company with these beliefs but Sony can't tell other companies how to run their business so I definitely don't blame Sony. Although I'm not sure if the PS4 is assembled in China as I would think that the motherboards are shipped to Japan to complete production. I really doubt that PS4's are manufactured in China because if it's gotten to that point than China has really taken over almost all of the market as far as electronics.

#32 Edited by clyde46 (45132 posts) -

If you have bought anything from Apple, Hp, Dell, HTC, Motorolla, etc, more likely then not it will have been made in China by a 15 year old.

#33 Posted by blackace (20291 posts) -

This shouldn't surprise anyone. And if this deters you from buying a Playstation 4, you might as well throw out anything you have from Dell, Acer, Apple, Cisco, HP, Microsoft, Nintendo, Vizio, and Toshiba, because their products are all made by Foxconn.

Same could be said about the NSA as well, yet comes seem to focus on only Microsoft when that subject comes up. In any case, it still doesn't make it right in Sony's case.

"If reports in the Chinese press are to be believed, Sony’s next-gen games console may be being assembled using some very outdated labor practices. According to Hong Kong’s Oriental Daily, thousands of students from an IT engineering program at the Xi’an Institute of Technology are being forced to work at Foxconn’s Yantai plant assembling the Sony Playstation 4. Students have been told if they refuse to participate, they lose six course credits, which effectively means they will not be able to graduate."

This isn't against the law in China? Sony is fine with these actions?

#34 Edited by blackace (20291 posts) -

Where's your proof? The fact Sony doesn't care that this is happening is the real problem. Thread doesn't fail in that case at all.

#35 Edited by clyde46 (45132 posts) -

@blackace said:

@Shewgenja said:

Where's your proof? The fact Sony doesn't care that this is happening is the real problem. Thread doesn't fail in that case at all.

Foxconn has made both the XBox and the XBox 360 dude. Foxconn made nearly all consumer electronics. As I already said, if you have bought an Apple iPhone or HTC One, it will most likely of been made by Foxconn.

#36 Posted by blackace (20291 posts) -

@daious said:

Sony is paying Foxconn to manufacture their PS4. So.....

Sony could easy go to a different manufacturer that doesn't do this.

I thought Xbox 360 and XBox One were being manufactured in Japan and Mexico, not in China.

#37 Posted by X_CAPCOM_X (6067 posts) -
#38 Edited by Wasdie (49633 posts) -

It's Foxconn, not Sony.

Pretty much every major electronics device in the world has had parts made by Foxconn. Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Apple, Samsung... the list is pretty long.

#39 Edited by clyde46 (45132 posts) -

@blackace said:

@daious said:

I thought Xbox 360 and XBox One were being manufactured in Japan and Mexico, not in China.

Do some research before you post next time, it will stop you looking like an idiot. I like the fact that you think its a Sony problem. I bet normally all the devices you own are made or have parts made by Foxconn.

#40 Edited by Szminsky (1433 posts) -

LOL. welcome to the real world, people. You like that brand new TV, don´t ya?... Some chinese slave sh*t seal of approval right there.

#41 Edited by YearoftheSnake5 (7219 posts) -

@blackace said:

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

Same could be said about the NSA as well, yet comes seem to focus on only Microsoft when that subject comes up. In any case, it still doesn't make it right in Sony's case.

"If reports in the Chinese press are to be believed, Sony’s next-gen games console may be being assembled using some very outdated labor practices. According to Hong Kong’s Oriental Daily, thousands of students from an IT engineering program at the Xi’an Institute of Technology are being forced to work at Foxconn’s Yantai plant assembling the Sony Playstation 4. Students have been told if they refuse to participate, they lose six course credits, which effectively means they will not be able to graduate."

This isn't against the law in China? Sony is fine with these actions?

It's not right, it shouldn't happen, but it does. Bear in mind that this doesn't look good for anyone dealing with Foxconn. They're contracting with a company that is fine with abusive work practices. The business world, unfortunately, revolves around money; not happiness or ethics.

#42 Posted by kuu2 (6971 posts) -

Slavestation baby!

#43 Posted by kyacat (4044 posts) -

I like how they admit to violating their own "CODE", and yet do nothing about it since they have no 3rd party oversight in China.

The sad reality of this is that just about ALL electronics companies contract Foxconn to make stuff for them BECAUSE they are so cheap and they use what amounts to SLAVE LABOR to make their products.

Apple, Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, AMD-ATI, Nvidia, Intel, Gigabyte, MSI, ASUS, Kingston, Acer, EVGA, Corsair, Sharp, Panasonic, Dell, LG, Nokia.. hell, even Samsung does contracts with them.

Foxconn are the reason electronics jobs are lost in many other countries - because they use slave labor to make all those consoles, PC parts, smartphones, tablets, laptops, etc...

We're all hypocrites for buying this stuff too. So don't act like anyone here is innocent or some moral authority. You're all guilty of this crap, myself included.

Well said and what about the clothes we buy who do you thnk makes them?

#44 Edited by lx_theo (6211 posts) -

funky

#45 Edited by Daious (1130 posts) -

@blackace: You are wrong. Foxconn is doing parts of the xbox one too. A lot of Apple products, Microsoft products, and Sony products are made at Foxconn.

#46 Posted by lundy86_4 (43021 posts) -

Foxconn have been outed for the iPhone/WiiU/PS4. The company is terrible, but all this was fairly recent. I know Nintendo is/was investigating.

#47 Edited by clyde46 (45132 posts) -

@kyacat said:

@Netherscourge said:

Well said and what about the clothes we buy who do you thnk makes them?

Asian kids in the Far East for a dollar a day!

#48 Edited by blackace (20291 posts) -

@blackace said:

@daious said:

Well think again:

http://www.geek.com/games/foxconn-is-already-assembling-the-new-xbox-for-microsoft-1555877/

The link was already posted in here, but here ya go bub.

Well we know that news is false as it's from May 2013. Microsoft didn't start manufacturing the XBox One until the beginning of Sept. Seems geek.com got that story wrong. The XBox One wasn't even finalized in May. lol!!

#49 Posted by blackace (20291 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@blackace said:

@daious said:

Do some research before you post next time, it will stop you looking like an idiot. I like the fact that you think its a Sony problem. I bet normally all the devices you own are made or have parts made by Foxconn.

Who's paying Foxconn to manufacture the system dummy? Foxconn isn't doing it for FREE. So yes, it is Sony's fault, especially if they are aware of these conditions. You'd have to be an idiot not to understand that.

#50 Edited by clyde46 (45132 posts) -

@blackace said:

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

@blackace said:

@daious said:

Well think again:

http://www.geek.com/games/foxconn-is-already-assembling-the-new-xbox-for-microsoft-1555877/

The link was already posted in here, but here ya go bub.

Well we know that news is false as it's from May 2013. Microsoft didn't start manufacturing the XBox One until the beginning of Sept. Seems geek.com got that story wrong. The XBox One wasn't even finalized in May. lol!!

Jesus Christ.