Sony - "Remote play may save the Vita in the west"

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#51 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@TheEroica: i want unique games for it, not some damn streaming stuff on it

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#52 EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

What's happening with the Vita is just a sign of what's going to happen to the PS4.

No games, filled with indies and ports, only works for playing games already available on other platforms (Streaming Vita/Remastered games PS4).

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22670 Posts

@The_Last_Ride: haha I want both!

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#54  Edited By santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

First, congrats to @TheEroica on the new system!

Obviously Remote Play has been the feature that has excited Western audiences the most recently, so I'm sure it's helping sales, but that's not going to do much for the Vita as its own system. Only games can do that.

Personally I think the PSTV is a better bet for giving the Vita a much needed assist. It's cheap which always helps, and it connects to your favorite screen, which is a boon for the sizable number of western gamers that do not like to game on smaller screens. If PSTV sell even modestly well it could quickly raise the number of Vita compatible systems in Western homes. Larger install bases attract more AAA development, more games saves the Vita, and everyone but the trolls goes home happy.

While I'm here I may as well knock a few of these others out...

@bbkkristian said:

The Vita is so freaking uncomfortable when I use it for remote play.....

Have you ever tried a snap-on grip? I got this one for a few bucks and it really does make the system more comfortable during RP.

@silversix_ said:

When/if Vita drops to $100 i'll buy. Spending over $100 for a system with zero games is dumb in my book

Calling the Vita a system with zero games is dumb in my book.

@Kashiwaba said:

As long as they are not going to stop localizing Japanese games it's all good for me after all that's what matters when it comes to handheld devices.

Yup. And as long as Sony can point to fantastic attach rates from western Vitas that shouldn't be a problem.

@Bread_or_Decide said:

There's a reason Vita's are not in stock anywhere. Sony is silently killing the platform. They are not restocking because they have reduced production. The irony is that a system called VITA is dead dead dead.

Makes you really grateful the PSP had a much better fate.

OK so we're just flat out lying now. On one hand we have Sony's repeated statements that the Vita is going nowhere and ww data showing increased sales, on the other hand your FUD. Good luck fighting reality.

@TheEroica: Regarding RP setup. I too primarily use Remote Play from a floor above the PS4's position and have excellent results, but it did take some physical adjustments to my router's position and antennae to get it working well. Early results sounded much like yours. Direct Play is great if you're near the PS4, otherwise you're probably going to get best results though your network, preferrably with your PS4 hard-wired into the router.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#55 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@santoron said:

Obviously Remote Play has been the feature that has excited Western audiences the most recently, so I'm sure it's helping sales, but that's not going to do much for the Vita as its own system. Only games can do that.

Personally I think the PSTV is a better bet for giving the Vita a much needed assist. It's cheap which always helps, and it connects to your favorite screen, which is a boon for the sizable number of western gamers that do not like to game on smaller screens. If PSTV sell even modestly well it could quickly raise the number of Vita compatible systems in Western homes. Larger install bases attract more AAA development, more games saves the Vita, and everyone but the trolls goes home happy.

While I'm here I may as well knock a few of these others out...

@bbkkristian said:

The Vita is so freaking uncomfortable when I use it for remote play.....

Have you ever tried a snap-on grip? I got this one for a few bucks and it really does make the system more comfortable during RP.

@silversix_ said:

When/if Vita drops to $100 i'll buy. Spending over $100 for a system with zero games is dumb in my book

Calling the Vita a system with zero games is dumb in my book.

@Kashiwaba said:

As long as they are not going to stop localizing Japanese games it's all good for me after all that's what matters when it comes to handheld devices.

Yup. And as long as Sony can point to fantastic attach rates from western Vitas that shouldn't be a problem.

@Bread_or_Decide said:

There's a reason Vita's are not in stock anywhere. Sony is silently killing the platform. They are not restocking because they have reduced production. The irony is that a system called VITA is dead dead dead.

OK so we're just flat out lying now. On one hand we have Sony's repeated statements that the Vita is going nowhere and ww data showing increased sales, on the other hand your FUD. Good luck fighting reality.

@TheEroica: Regarding RP setup. I too primarily use Remote Play from a floor above the PS4's position and have excellent results, but it did take some physical adjustments to my router's position and antennae to get it working well. Early results sounded much like yours. Direct Play is great if you're near the PS4, otherwise you're probably going to get best results though your network, preferrably with your PS4 hard-wired into the router.

Are you that naive to think that the majority of Western buyers would want a Vita for Remote Play? Where's your source on that? Secondly, their sure are games for the platform, but the majority is nothing more than ports of old PS3 games and indie titles. Not to mentioned Sony's B-Team games. When you look at why the 3DS is selling more than the Vita, it shows what Sony doesn't get it on why the Vita isn't taking off the shelves.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#56 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:

Are you that naive to think that the majority of Western buyers would want a Vita for Remote Play? Where's your source on that? Secondly, their sure are games for the platform, but the majority is nothing more than ports of old PS3 games and indie titles. Not to mentioned Sony's B-Team games. When you look at why the 3DS is selling more than the Vita, it shows what Sony doesn't get it on why the Vita isn't taking off the shelves.

First, I didn't say the majority did. I said it's been the pitch that has resonated with western consumers best. My source? Sony, derp, hence their focus on that message. Where's yours?

And BTW, let's get this one out of the way: This forum is set up to air and argue about our opinions. Demanding sources for any opinion espoused is the laziest form of debate. Feel free to agree or disagree, and if you have better info or reasoning backing your claim you're likely going to win the day. Crying "SOURCE?!?" without doing your own work is simply poor form.

Back to your post...

Sure, there are ports, and there are indie games. There are also original entries to console franchises, and completely new and exclusive IPs. The library (without the indies) is actually rather similar to the PSP both in types of games and the large output from Japan. The biggest difference thus far is a lack of heavy hitting franchises like Final Fantasy or Monster Hunter that would drive sales. The difference between the libraries of the PSP which sold over 80 million units and the Vita which is a sales afterthought isn't as great as some pretend.

The two machines are simply facing very different circumstances, and that's a point I argued since the Vita was announced. The handheld market is shrinking rapidly as sales for the Vita and the 3DS both attest, and we don't know yet where the bottom will be. Sony didn't really do any worse with the games the put onto the Vita compared to the PSP, casuals just don't see as much need for a dedicated system anymore. Whether Sony (or eventually, Nintendo) can justify the long term existence of expensive dedicated handhelds is an open one, but I do commend Sony for trying to find features and incentives to get gamers excited.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#57 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@TheEroica said:

@The_Last_Ride: haha I want both!

I don't really use it tbh

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@santoron said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

There's no reason the VITA, a system no one wants, should be sold out. The only reason it's sold out is because Sony isn't replenishing supplies.

And the PS VITA TV is set to take its place. Mark my words. The one fighting reality is you my friend.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#59 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

One of the main reasons I bought my Vita was because of it's ability to remote play PS4 games. Now that I've tried it, I have to say it's pretty underwhelming. The tiny screen on the Vita just doesn't do PS4 games justice. It's almost like it needs one of those screen magnifier things the old Gameboys had. Maybe Sony should come out with an XL version? Not that I see that happening since the Vita is all but dead.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 TheEroica  Moderator

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@santoron said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

There's no reason the VITA, a system no one wants, should be sold out. The only reason it's sold out is because Sony isn't replenishing supplies.

And the PS VITA TV is set to take its place. Mark my words. The one fighting reality is you my friend.

http://www.loadthegame.com/2014/07/15/sony-confirms-project-morpheus-will-feature-ps-vita-support/

While I can see how you could arrive at that assumption (I've often thought it myself) it appears as of yesterday that Sony is intending on incorporating the vita into project Morpheus (link above) which tells me they're not actually clear cutting the device off the map... I think if anything, SOny is trying to best figure out what this device best serves... After a day of playing with it, I certainly see its value and it's drawbacks, but only support can save something from failing... balls in sonys court.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#61 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

I like it a lot... think it's a top notch device, but I use it rarely. It's great on vacations or when my wife wants to use the TV, though.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 TheEroica  Moderator

@donalbane: kind of my primary reason for owning it... my kids are embracing the hobby more as they get older and the wife likes to watch TV at night... granted I have consoles hooked up to every tv in the house, including my retro atari2600 in the bedroom, but the vita will be all the multimedia I need on vacation and times I have to compromise the tv.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#63  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

remote play is better on wiiU

bigger screen more comfortable and has all the buttons....

that being said i dont use remote play often... maybe once a month....or just to check miiverse messages or buy an eshop game. and when you want to play a game with great graphics..you dont want to play it on a small screen. and ps4 is all about 1080p 60fps right? defeats the purpose.

it is not a system selling feature. its a nice bonus and thats it.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#64 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@alcapello said:

That sound fine, the focus, luckily for the Playstation Family is mainly on the PS4.

Microsoft should take note.

They have. That's why they showed a bazillion games at the E3, while Sony showed TV, Marvel Powers show, statistics, loses, etc.. I think Microsoft took good notes.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@EducatingU_PCMR said:

What's happening with the Vita is just a sign of what's going to happen to the PS4.

No games, filled with indies and ports, only works for playing games already available on other platforms (Streaming Vita/Remastered games PS4).

Sony: We've built the most powerful game console ever. Spent millions and millions on marketing the system and hyping it to be a huge success. Sold HQ buildings, sold stocks, got rid of our laptop/PC division so we could make it to E3 and show off the few exclusive games we could. Now we are broke and can't support the PSVita and barely have enough funds to attend Gamescom and TGS. This is why we are starting our new Kickstarter program. It's called, "Please Save Sony & Your PS4". Your $100 donations will help us to continue maklng more PS4 titles and allow us to release the Morpheus, PSNow and Playstation TV this fall. Won't you support us? We can only milk and remaster older games for so long.

gregbmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#66  Edited By gregbmil
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

I love my Vita, I really do, but remote play sucks!! I will literally sit 4 feet from my router which is about 1 foot from my modem and about 2 feet form my PS4, it never works right. The main menu seems fine, but as soon as I start a game, forget it. It starts getting really blocky then gives me an error message and disconnects. I did get it to work a few times but these are consoles games not meant to be played on a handheld. I realize that in about 3 minutes, then I get the error, lol.

Maybe I need to open a port or something in my router because I know it ain't my internet speed. I got 50mbs, the fastest available in my area

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

If they're serious about RP then give them a reasonable priced VITA refresh later on that has all the missing buttons, superior wireless chipset and a better display. AFAIK NVShield and Wii U gamepad does 60 fps.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#68 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@charizard1605: It's hard to argue for a remake of a GOAT game.

(gamerankings, of course. Metacritic leaves me wanting).

Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

I got my Vita from a store clearing out it's Vita stock, thats how alive it is....

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

Will it?

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#71 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

I don't think Sony has ever understood that you don't need a powerful platform when it comes to handhelds, people don't really care about that.

But Sony slapped it's fans with the poor support. If I had bought this console at full price at launch, I would be pissed with this half ass attempt. I think it cost more than the PS3 at one point.