SONY Q3 - $172 million Operating Income with PS

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by BattlefieldFan3 (341 posts) -

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/13q3_sony.pdf

I'd say this is an improvement from the the $10-20 million operating profits they made per quarter in the last generation.

SONY should thank Microsoft. The majority of people paying for multiplayer on PSN are former Xbox fans. There are now more people playing PS4 multiplayer than 360 or Xbone multiplayer. Things don't look too hot for Microsoft since they lost a ton of people who paid for XBL Gold. With the disappointing sales from the Xbone and far less people paying for XBL, the Xbone could potentially be Microsoft's last console.

I really don't see how they're going to turn it around.

#2 Posted by Netret0120 (1897 posts) -

Good for Sony. Competition is healthy.

#3 Posted by Consternated (481 posts) -

Spot on.

#4 Posted by nyzma23 (887 posts) -

you don't see the big picture gaming maybe improve but the whole company is losing $1.1 billion in 2013

#5 Posted by RedentSC (583 posts) -

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/13q3_sony.pdf

I'd say this is an improvement from the the $10-20 million operating profits they made per quarter in the last generation.

SONY should thank Microsoft. The majority of people paying for multiplayer on PSN are former Xbox fans. There are now more people playing PS4 multiplayer than 360 or Xbone multiplayer. Things don't look too hot for Microsoft since they lost a ton of people who paid for XBL Gold. With the disappointing sales from the Xbone and far less people paying for XBL, the Xbone could potentially be Microsoft's last console.

I really don't see how they're going to turn it around.

they aint "mostly xbox fans" ... the large proportion of lems wont move because they are so far up M$'s ass they can't see any other way, other than the xbone way

People who would call themselves cows and hermits are the main purchasers and players of the PS4..... lems are a dying breed... thanks to thair parents (M$)

#6 Posted by kuu2 (6799 posts) -

@nyzma23 said:

you don't see the big picture gaming maybe improve but the whole company is losing $1.1 billion in 2013

They are drowning as a company and no one can help them.

Good for the gaming division to be in the black but man the company is in serious trouble.

#7 Posted by finalstar2007 (24873 posts) -

Congrats to Sony and the gaming division.. the stronger the division gets the better baby!

keep it up Sony!

#8 Posted by thegamer00 (131 posts) -

Sony has overall loss of 1.1 billion. BILLION. LET THAT SINK IN.

#9 Posted by _Matt_ (8780 posts) -

hehe

#10 Edited by shawn30 (4291 posts) -

cows will still ignore that number and how it swallowed the PS profits completely. But selling the PC business and perhaps TV too, while focusing on their very good cellphones and PS3/4 are smart moves. But they are still in very deep trouble.

#11 Posted by MonsieurX (28672 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

@thegamer00 said:

cows will still ignore that number and how it swallowed the PS profits completely. But selling the PC business and perhaps TV too, while focusing on their very good cellphones and PS3/4 are smart moves. But they are still in very deep trouble.

Sony should focus on what makes money: insurances

#12 Edited by nyzma23 (887 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

@thegamer00 said:

sony,microsoft and nintendo should join up and make ultimate console and stop this stupid war

#13 Posted by MonsieurX (28672 posts) -

@nyzma23 said:

@MonsieurX said:

@shawn30 said:

@thegamer00 said:

sony,microsoft and nintendo should join up and make ultimate console and stop this stupid war

Nope,that would be stupid.

Monopoly is bad for the consumer

#14 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

@thegamer00:

Let this sink in...

Nobody here works for Sony.

Nobody gets a paycheck from them.

Yet, they produced the most aaa, and goty exclusives...all while being in dire straits.

Other companies should hope to create quality under those circumstances.

Stay jelly.

#15 Posted by Tighaman (709 posts) -

Its good that SONY fans kickstarted the ps4 like I said yall needed to do, now with them selling off their pc business and from that great profit they can start Uncharted and stop using the ps3 as damn servers.

#16 Edited by lhughey (4221 posts) -

@nyzma23 said:

@MonsieurX said:

@shawn30 said:

@thegamer00 said:

Yes, lack of competition breed innovation!

#17 Posted by GamingGod999 (2892 posts) -

Some good news? No?

#18 Posted by balfe1990 (6747 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

@thegamer00 said:

Sony make shitty, shitty mobile phones, if it's name isn't Xperia Z.

They make good TVs and good laptops. Their phones are fucking terrible, they should flog that to some buyer who has more money than sense.

#19 Posted by tormentos (16481 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

@thegamer00 said:

They make good TVs and good laptops. Their phones are fucking terrible, they should flog that to some buyer who has more money than sense.

Actually the latest Xperia Z is incredible the the water proof one as well,read the reviews about the phones,and have one of the best camera on Android in fact i think the best,and i am a Galaxy S 4 owner.

#20 Posted by j_assassin (878 posts) -

when is gamespot gonna have a seperate forum board for company sales wars?!

#21 Posted by balfe1990 (6747 posts) -

@balfe1990 said:

@shawn30 said:

@thegamer00 said:

Actually the latest Xperia Z is incredible the the water proof one as well,read the reviews about the phones,and have one of the best camera on Android in fact i think the best,and i am a Galaxy S 4 owner.

Yeah, but of course YOU'D say that.

I mentioned the Xperia Z and it's a fine piece of kit, purely because they focused all their efforts on that handset, and that alone. Pray you never have the misfortune of owning one of their mid-low end phones.

#22 Posted by ni6htmare01 (832 posts) -

@balfe1990 said:

@shawn30 said:

@thegamer00 said:

yeah! I read the review too. looks really good so the new Xperia Zi (or something like that ) will be my next phone!

#23 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27211 posts) -

when is gamespot gonna have a seperate forum board for company sales wars?!

You can ignore topics that don't interest you.

As for the topic, this is why the Japanese government devalued their currency to make Japanese products more competitive (and also to increase inflation but that's another issue :P ).

Really surprised that they've made a profit during launch, thats really impressive.

#24 Edited by Shewgenja (7940 posts) -

@nyzma23 said:

That's all the picture that matters in System Wars. Oh wait, you must be a fan of that TV remote thing for $500 huh? I guess it's too much to ask that you stay concerned about gaming on a gaming website...

#25 Posted by Shewgenja (7940 posts) -

ITT: Lemmings going off-topic about Sonys overall financials despite this being a gaming board and despite the fact that Sonys gaming division is turning a profit despite having just launched new hardware.. Thus solidifying the fact that if push comes to shove, Playstation will spin off as its own separate division in the worst case scenario possibly imaginable in the Lemmings wettest of wet dreams.

It's so true, I expect this post to be ignored because the truth of the matter puts a javelin through the neck of what the Lemmings have been flooding this board and many others for years regarding the correlation of Sony Groups overall health and the Playstation business, which is more solid than the cock of MS up their bums.

#26 Posted by Heil68 (42663 posts) -

SONY is on a roll guys.

#27 Posted by AppleFan1991 (3022 posts) -

Already a thread about Sony's finances.