Sony Q1 FY14: PS3+PS4 = 3.5M: Company & Game Div profitable

#1 Edited by -Damien- (5355 posts) -

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/14q1_sony.pdf

Estimate is 3M PS4 sold in Q1 FY14

PSV+PSP = 0.75M

Company Operating Income = 690M USD

Sales were 1,809.9 billion yen (17,920 million U.S. dollars), an increase of 5.8% compared to the same quarter of the previous fiscal year (“year-on-year”). This increase was primarily due to a significant increase in G&NS segment sales, reflecting the contribution of the PlayStation 4 (“PS4”) which was launched in November 2013, a significant increase in Pictures segment sales primarily due to higher theatrical revenues in Motion Pictures, as well as the favorable impact of foreign exchange rates. This increase was partially offset by a significant decrease in sales in All Other, primarily related to Sony’s exit from the PC business. On a constant currency basis, sales increased 3% year-on-year. For further details about sales on a constant currency basis, see Note on page 9.

Operating income increased 34.3 billion yen year-on-year to 69.8 billion yen (691 million U.S. dollars). Thisincrease was primarily due to a significant improvement in the operating results of the G&NS segment partially offset by a significant deterioration in the operating results of the MC segment.

#2 Edited by ghostwarrior786 (5811 posts) -

'3.5m PS3+4 shipped vs 1.1m 360/XB1 in the same quarter' - wow as a future xbox owner this is great news. i hope ms keep getting their ass kicked, they coasted towards the end of last gen but with sony pounding them this time around they are really gona have to pull out all the stops

#3 Edited by -Damien- (5355 posts) -

so Q1 FY14.....

PS4 > (XBONE + 360 + WIIU + 3DS)

Playstation Nation Domination

#4 Edited by Floppy_Jim (25834 posts) -

Why do they combine sales even when they're doing well? Dicks http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131120001458/elderscrolls/images/f/f0/Facepalm.gif

Outselling Microsoft by more than 3 to 1 http://i.imgur.com/gUGZdVy.png

#5 Edited by I_can_haz (6511 posts) -

Damn TLHBO

3.5 million PS3 + PS4 shipped vs 1.1 million Xbones + 360 shipped LOL!!

A more than 3:1 difference.

#6 Posted by -Damien- (5355 posts) -

@I_can_haz said:

Damn TLHBO

LOL...OMG that gif.

saved for future ownage moment

#7 Posted by Sollet (7578 posts) -

Ouch, I wonder how the Lemmings will spin this in MS' favor! Haha.

#8 Posted by -Damien- (5355 posts) -

PSV+PSP = 0.75M, almost beat nintendo handheld number, 0.82M

#9 Posted by Zaibach (13463 posts) -

I bet they sold some buildings to get them numbers up.

I smell shennanigans

#10 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (9027 posts) -

$17 million dollar profit?????? ROFL. You are going to need a lot of these quarters to get back that last $1.2 billion dollar loss.

Godsoft just made $17 million during lunch.

#11 Edited by -Damien- (5355 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

$17 million dollar profit?????? ROFL. You are going to need a lot of these quarters to get back that last $1.2 billion dollar loss.

huh? did u read the billion yen column or million dollar column? or.... you can't read financial statement?!?

here's a simplifed version

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101881790

#13 Posted by sts106mat (20425 posts) -

@-Damien- said:

@I_can_haz said:

Damn TLHBO

LOL...OMG that gif.

PS4 punching like a girl

#16 Edited by SolidGame_basic (19310 posts) -

Sony tearin' it up. This is looking to be a repeat of 6th gen with these types of sales numbers.

#17 Edited by bublover1 (133 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

'3.5m PS3+4 shipped vs 1.1m 360/XB1 in the same quarter' - wow as a future xbox owner this is great news. i hope ms keep getting their ass kicked, they coasted towards the end of last gen but with sony pounding them this time around they are really gona have to pull out all the stops

LOL... MS is a quitter. They ain't gonna fight if the odds aren't in their favor. They're gonna abandon the Xbone and release the Xbox TWO in 2-3 years.

#18 Edited by sts106mat (20425 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@sts106mat said:

@-Damien- said:

@I_can_haz said:

Damn TLHBO

LOL...OMG that gif.

PS4 punching like a girl

That girl is beating the shit out of his crotch. That's a WIN right there.

he looks like he is enjoying it though...wonder what website that shit came from? hahaha

#19 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (9027 posts) -

@-Damien- said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

huh? did u read the billion yen column or million dollar column? or.... you can't read financial statement?!?

LOL, you actually think Sony is doing good as a company. Great quarter, bad last 5 years.

#20 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28515 posts) -

So basically because of layoffs, restructuring, sale of retail properties, and the closure/sell off of the vaio property they are profitable for a short bit.

#21 Posted by _Matt_ (9443 posts) -

@WilliamRLBaker said:

So basically because of layoffs, restructuring, sale of retail properties, and the closure/sell off of the vaio property they are profitable for a short bit.

Oh look, WilliamRLBaker is still here.

How's it going chief?

#22 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (6256 posts) -

Justin spinning so hard he's going to start throwing up.

#23 Edited by DEadliNE-Zero0 (5083 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:

Good work PS4, and Sony.. But where's the gamez?

If you mean the indies and F2P games, they're on PC. Coming soon.

Sorry, i had too.

#24 Edited by Shewgenja (11040 posts) -

What I want to know is..

Is Sony doomed yet?

#25 Edited by edwardecl (2239 posts) -

Sony should have never shut down their robot dog business...

#26 Posted by Zaibach (13463 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

@WilliamRLBaker said:

Oh look, WilliamRLBaker is still here.

How's it going chief?

he's kind of stuck, so he's just spinning his wheels, What a chap

#27 Posted by Zaibach (13463 posts) -

@SecretPolice said:

@Zaibach said:

I bet they sold some buildings to get them numbers up.

I smell shennanigans

Shennanigans or is that usual stink around.... SW barnyard loaded with cow pie? :P

Anyhooey, Yay, they made a buck or two I guess.

I'm sure that all means something

#28 Posted by slimdogmilionar (737 posts) -
@-Damien- said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Think you should have read that yourself before posting it. The 690 million is their operating income which is better but still weak compared to their competitors who makes billions in profit per quarter. I'm guessing gaming is now the core of Sony's business.

#29 Posted by Alcapello (1309 posts) -

Thank goodness Praise the Lord!!!

#30 Posted by SecretPolice (23593 posts) -

@Zaibach:

Nope, not really. :P

#31 Edited by Effec_Tor (432 posts) -

#32 Edited by tormentos (20242 posts) -

@-Damien- said:

so Q1 FY14.....

PS4 > (XBONE + 360 + WIIU + 3DS)

Playstation Nation Domination

But .. but.. but... Is losing to the wii u in Japan..hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

#33 Posted by tormentos (20242 posts) -
@FoxbatAlpha said:

They won $680 millions...hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

But but but Sony is going bankrupt..

So basically another quarter like this and they already made the 1.2 billion dollars loss you held on to..lol

The best part is how the PS4 beat the xbox one shipments like 5 to 1.?

#35 Edited by chikenfriedrice (11057 posts) -

#36 Posted by B4X (5660 posts) -

Step in the right direction.

Quarter 2-4 will be interesting. When their overhead cuts don't play into the numbers. If they pull a profit then. Sony may be in good shape.

These numbers right now do not represent true future numbers. Now actual profits will have to carry Sony. Unless more cut-backs are made.

Good news.

#37 Edited by shawn30 (4367 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

What I want to know is..

Is Sony doomed yet?

Its still mostly doomed, but not the Playstation division. Posting losses for over half a decade doesn't go away with one mildly positive quarter. But its a start. :)

#38 Edited by tormentos (20242 posts) -

@WilliamRLBaker said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

If you mean the indies and F2P games, they're on PC. Coming soon.

Sorry, i had too.

Last time i check.

Infamous,MLB,Drive Club and LBP3 where not on PC..lol

See every time you hide behind PC lemming..hahahahaa

@slimdogmilionar said:
@-Damien- said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Think you should have read that yourself before posting it. The 690 million is their operating income which is better but still weak compared to their competitors who makes billions in profit per quarter. I'm guessing gaming is now the core of Sony's business.

Sony said operating profit in the first quarter of its fiscal year surged to 69.8 billion yen ($680 million) from 35.5 billion yen a year earlier, easily beating the 16.6 billion yen expected according to the average of six analysts' estimates according to Thomson Reuters Starmine. A one-off gain from the sale of a technology facility in Japan also contributed nearly 15 billion yen to the quarterly operating profit, Sony said.

Clearly say PROFITS ...

Billions which are not related to the xbox one,as MS has been accuse of hiding loss on the xbox and surface brand under money made from Android patent money.

Fact is the PS4 out shipped the xbox one like 5 to 1 or more is killing it.

@farrell2k said:

Sony's game division will not be "profitable" until it pays back its tens of billions in previous losses.

The thread keep delivering..hahahaha

#39 Posted by B4X (5660 posts) -

@tormentos: "Shill can also be used pejoratively to describe a critic who appears either all-too-eager to heap glowing praise upon mediocre offerings, or who acts as an apologist for glaring flaws."

#40 Posted by lostrib (42872 posts) -

@b4x said:

@tormentos: "Shill can also be used pejoratively to describe a critic who appears either all-too-eager to heap glowing praise upon mediocre offerings, or who acts as an apologist for glaring flaws."

stop being a shill

#41 Posted by Heil68 (47265 posts) -

Just go to shows you what by gamers FOR gamers mantra does. Real talk here guys,

#42 Posted by MonsieurX (31710 posts) -

And yet,people complained that M$ put their numbers together in the thread last week

#43 Posted by kuu2 (7971 posts) -

@MonsieurX: Sony were the masters at it.

We will see how the rest of the year goes.

#44 Posted by tormentos (20242 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

And yet,people complained that M$ put their numbers together in the thread last week

I wasn't complaining you sad troll,i was making fun of it because sony use to do that with PS2+ Ps3 and lemming flame sony for it,so i had a blast calling out those who flamed sony and claimed that MS didn't have to do that..lol

Sony did it before MS did it dude your loss.

#45 Posted by MonsieurX (31710 posts) -

@tormentos said:

@MonsieurX said:

I wasn't complaining you sad troll,i was making fun of it because sony use to do that with PS2+ Ps3 and lemming flame sony for it,so i had a blast calling out those who flamed sony and claimed that MS didn't have to do that..lol

Sony did it before MS did it dude your loss.

Where in my post did I point that to you?

#46 Posted by hoosier7 (3981 posts) -

@slimdogmilionar said:
@-Damien- said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

"Sony said operating profit in the first quarter of its fiscal year surged to 69.8 billion yen ($680 million) from 35.5 billion yen a year earlier"

?

#47 Posted by GamingGod999 (3134 posts) -

Congrats, Sony.

#48 Posted by StormyJoe (6571 posts) -

@-Damien-: Oh look, @tormentos, Sony combined PS3 & PS4 sales! Oh, the humanity!!!!

#49 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (28567 posts) -

Great news! Bloody tough to make a profit so early in a console cycle (I presume that PS+ money helps).

Now lets see some games!

#50 Edited by MonsieurX (31710 posts) -

Cows,the hypocrites proven once again

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/ms-join-xbox-one-xbox-360-sales-numbers-31452026/#245