Sony on selling 3M PS4s by years end: Goal already cleared

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Shewgenja (9625 posts) -

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2013/11/tretton_were_very_confident_were_in_great_shape_with_ps4

There it is. Tretton has just confirmed what we've all been thinking. They've already sold 3 million PS4s in preorders across the 2013 launch markets.

#2 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (7420 posts) -

That is the first Sony success story in the company's history. Bravo Sony! Way to pull it off!

#3 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10600 posts) -

I totally agree with this guy (#1 comment from source provided above)

get2sammyb said:

I really believe that they're lowballing the estimates a bit. Personal opinion, but I think it'll do more than five million by March — assuming that the launch goes well and there aren't any major issues. We'll see.

EDIT: I should stress that it's not going to be much more than that, but I could see them hitting six million if hype stays high and inFAMOUS is really good.

#4 Posted by Heil68 (45161 posts) -

Well when you are trendsetters and have Innovation-->Technology-->Value as your hallmarks all the while living by gamers for gamers mantra, people take notice. Well played Sony.

“That hurdle has been cleared. We’re very, very confident that we’re in great shape.”

#5 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (7420 posts) -

Congratulations once again to all that support Sony. This is a special occasion and I want all of you to be proud.

#6 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (5127 posts) -

It is going to pass Wiiu lifetime sales by the end of the month LMAO.

#7 Edited by kitty (114798 posts) -

I don't doubt that they will sell that much, probably more. But pre-orders don't equal sold products. If I went and put $10 down on Knack, KZ and a few other games, does that mean since I pre-ordered it, it's sold? Even though I didn't pay off the pre-order yet?

According to some people on this forum, it does.

#8 Posted by xxyetixx (1296 posts) -

Preorders do not equal sales, especially when those systems will be sold twice. With any launch systems there are always the people the will buy them just to up sell them for the holidays on Ebay/Craigslist wherever. I'm sure as long as Sony puts 5 million consoles out there by March there will be 5 Million sold though, people think it's the next coming of something great? It's a graphic bump, and pay to play online system, with features 360 already has(excluding a few). I know it's been a long current gen but all they hype around both systems is gonna be a let down for those really hyped. The graphic bump isn't as stellar, as we've seen before, the PS4 launch games aren't that exciting, I'm expecting a lot of people to be let down!

#9 Posted by silversix_ (14791 posts) -

Would be really funny if it outsold WiiEww in one day rofl

#10 Posted by kingoflife9 (1987 posts) -

3M people will realize they just bought a ps3 with better graphics and no games.

#11 Posted by danabo (2474 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

Would be really funny if it outsold WiiEww in one day rofl

#12 Posted by kitty (114798 posts) -

@kingoflife9 said:

3M people will realize they just bought a ps3 with better graphics and no games.

It will get games as always. I'm waiting until that happens to buy one.

#13 Posted by PS360Wii4eva (297 posts) -

I hope they'll have enough stock left for all of us.

#14 Edited by KHAndAnime (13877 posts) -

Holy shit. And think of all the non-peorder systems that will be flying out of stock Day 1...

PS4 is going to hit it's 5m goal day 1 it looks like.

#15 Posted by KHAndAnime (13877 posts) -
@2ndwonder said:

I don't doubt that they will sell that much, probably more. But pre-orders don't equal sold products. If I went and put $10 down on Knack, KZ and a few other games, does that mean since I pre-ordered it, it's sold? Even though I didn't pay off the pre-order yet?

According to some people on this forum, it does.

We're talking about a product that has been nationally out of stock ever since E3. The preorders will be sales.

#16 Edited by kingoflife9 (1987 posts) -

@2ndwonder said:

@kingoflife9 said:

3M people will realize they just bought a ps3 with better graphics and no games.

It will get games as always. I'm waiting until that happens to buy one.

Meanwhile I'll get an xbox one and enjoy great games while you wait.

#17 Posted by lx_theo (6211 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

That is the first Sony success story in the company's history. Bravo Sony! Way to pull it off!

Dat rage

#18 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (7420 posts) -

@lx_theo said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

That is the first Sony success story in the company's history. Bravo Sony! Way to pull it off!

Dat rage

Da fuq do you get rage from? Cheer up though. The PS4 isn't gonna suck too bad.

#19 Posted by Shewgenja (9625 posts) -

"preorders don't mean sales"? Tell that to the retailers that are buying these things. They've probably never sold consoles before and need your help.

#20 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@xxyetixx said:

Preorders do not equal sales, especially when those systems will be sold twice. With any launch systems there are always the people the will buy them just to up sell them for the holidays on Ebay/Craigslist wherever. I'm sure as long as Sony puts 5 million consoles out there by March there will be 5 Million sold though, people think it's the next coming of something great? It's a graphic bump, and pay to play online system, with features 360 already has(excluding a few). I know it's been a long current gen but all they hype around both systems is gonna be a let down for those really hyped. The graphic bump isn't as stellar, as we've seen before, the PS4 launch games aren't that exciting, I'm expecting a lot of people to be let down!

Those double sells only work if Sony can't keep up with demand. If they can, then people will just pay normal price at the store instead of the jacked up prices on Ebay and sites like it.

#21 Edited by SonofK (1066 posts) -

How much money did Sony lose on these sales, since the PS4 is being sold at a loss.

#22 Posted by lx_theo (6211 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@lx_theo said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

That is the first Sony success story in the company's history. Bravo Sony! Way to pull it off!

Dat rage

Da fuq do you get rage from? Cheer up though. The PS4 isn't gonna suck too bad.

Thanks for proving my point.

So easy to incite a raging lem into full-on defense mode

#23 Edited by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

Dat PS4 domination is about to start. Can you smell it in the air lems and sheep?

#24 Edited by NathanDrakeSwag (5127 posts) -

@SonofK said:

How much money did Sony lose on these sales, since the PS4 is being sold at a loss.

Not as much as MS will lose on all those Xbones that go unsold.

#25 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@SonofK said:

How much money did Sony lose on these sales, since the PS4 is being sold at a loss.

Any link to back up this claim?

#26 Posted by emgesp (2154 posts) -

"I'll pay anyone $1000 if they can find a single PS4 sitting on the shelf."

- Jack Tretton

#27 Posted by kingtito (5022 posts) -

@Shewgenja:

Sony has yet to launch more than 1 million PSs ever. What makes you think they'll all of a sudden have enough for 3 million on the 15th? No console launch has ever reached 3 million on release.

#28 Posted by emgesp (2154 posts) -

PS2 level domination is back guys.

#29 Posted by SonofK (1066 posts) -

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

@SonofK said:

How much money did Sony lose on these sales, since the PS4 is being sold at a loss.

Not as much as MS will lose on all those Xbones that go unsold.

Good thing they won't have to worry about that since the XB1 is sold out everywhere

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@SonofK said:

How much money did Sony lose on these sales, since the PS4 is being sold at a loss.

Any link to back up this claim?

http://www.justpushstart.com/2013/09/sony-reveals-will-sell-ps4-loss/

#30 Posted by xxyetixx (1296 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa: And you really think Sony or MS are gonna put out enough systems so that doesn't happen, and if either did put enough out there so that doesn't happen I wouldn't touch that rushed first released system with for anything!!

#31 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (7420 posts) -

@lx_theo said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@lx_theo said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

That is the first Sony success story in the company's history. Bravo Sony! Way to pull it off!

Dat rage

Da fuq do you get rage from? Cheer up though. The PS4 isn't gonna suck too bad.

Thanks for proving my point.

So easy to incite a raging lem into full-on defense mode

Sure, for you. You got me. I am so angry right now I might go bite my pillow and have a good cry. You have exposed my weakness and It hurts. I don't know how you can be so mean to someone. lol.

#32 Posted by lx_theo (6211 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@lx_theo said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@lx_theo said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

That is the first Sony success story in the company's history. Bravo Sony! Way to pull it off!

Dat rage

Da fuq do you get rage from? Cheer up though. The PS4 isn't gonna suck too bad.

Thanks for proving my point.

So easy to incite a raging lem into full-on defense mode

Sure, for you. You got me. I am so angry right now I might go bite my pillow and have a good cry. You have exposed my weakness and It hurts. I don't know how you can be so mean to someone. lol.

Speak of a try hard.

Guess lems feel the need to overcompensate.

#33 Edited by Gue1 (10198 posts) -

@emgesp said:

"I'll pay anyone $1000 if they can find a single PS4 sitting on the shelf."

- Jack Tretton

the domination is too stronk.

#34 Posted by nervmeister (15270 posts) -

@emgesp: that remains to be seen.

#35 Edited by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

@emgesp said:

PS2 level domination is back guys.

AWWWWW YEEEEEAH!

#36 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@xxyetixx said:

@AmazonTreeBoa: And you really think Sony or MS are gonna put out enough systems so that doesn't happen, and if either did put enough out there so that doesn't happen I wouldn't touch that rushed first released system with for anything!!

Always a chance. I have no clue what kind of manufacturing factory numbers they have going on. If they can pump out 2 million a month, then I see no reason why they can't keep up with demand. It's not really all that hard to keep up if you are prepared for it and plan out your launch.

#37 Posted by PSdual_wielder (10646 posts) -

@emgesp said:

"I'll pay anyone $1000 if they can find a single PS4 sitting on the shelf."

- Jack Tretton

The trick is to find someone with a preorder, get him to cancel it a day after launch day, take a photograph of the console when it's put on shelf, receive $1000 from jacky t, and you both get a ps4 for free. 8)

#38 Edited by HaloinventedFPS (4731 posts) -

Pre orders don't mean sales

#39 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@SonofK said:

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

@SonofK said:

How much money did Sony lose on these sales, since the PS4 is being sold at a loss.

Not as much as MS will lose on all those Xbones that go unsold.

Good thing they won't have to worry about that since the XB1 is sold out everywhere

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@SonofK said:

How much money did Sony lose on these sales, since the PS4 is being sold at a loss.

Any link to back up this claim?

http://www.justpushstart.com/2013/09/sony-reveals-will-sell-ps4-loss/

Thanks for the link. Good thing for them they are now charging for online service. So the loss will be even less for them. They seem to be set up to do a whole lot better than they did with the PS3.

#40 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@emgesp said:

PS2 level domination is back guys.

I don't want to jump the gun before the gen even gets started, so I will just say I wouldn't be surprised if you were correct.

#41 Posted by SonofK (1066 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@SonofK said:

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

@SonofK said:

How much money did Sony lose on these sales, since the PS4 is being sold at a loss.

Not as much as MS will lose on all those Xbones that go unsold.

Good thing they won't have to worry about that since the XB1 is sold out everywhere

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@SonofK said:

How much money did Sony lose on these sales, since the PS4 is being sold at a loss.

Any link to back up this claim?

http://www.justpushstart.com/2013/09/sony-reveals-will-sell-ps4-loss/

Thanks for the link. Good thing for them they are now charging for online service. So the loss will be even less for them. They seem to be set up to do a whole lot better than they did with the PS3.

It's a 60 dollar loss on each unit sold, which means with PSN+ alone it'll take Sony a year to make their loss back on each PS4 sold.

#42 Edited by danabo (2474 posts) -

@SonofK said:


@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@SonofK said:

How much money did Sony lose on these sales, since the PS4 is being sold at a loss.

Any link to back up this claim?

http://www.justpushstart.com/2013/09/sony-reveals-will-sell-ps4-loss/

If they're selling at a loss of $60*5000000 = -$300000000... how many copies of Knack and KZ do they need to sell to make up the losses?

#43 Edited by NathanDrakeSwag (5127 posts) -

@HaloinventedFPS said:

Pre orders don't mean sales

For a console launch with as much hype and demand as the PS4 it does. It will be sold out for months.

#44 Edited by lx_theo (6211 posts) -

@SonofK said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@SonofK said:

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

@SonofK said:

How much money did Sony lose on these sales, since the PS4 is being sold at a loss.

Not as much as MS will lose on all those Xbones that go unsold.

Good thing they won't have to worry about that since the XB1 is sold out everywhere

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@SonofK said:

How much money did Sony lose on these sales, since the PS4 is being sold at a loss.

Any link to back up this claim?

http://www.justpushstart.com/2013/09/sony-reveals-will-sell-ps4-loss/

Thanks for the link. Good thing for them they are now charging for online service. So the loss will be even less for them. They seem to be set up to do a whole lot better than they did with the PS3.

It's a 60 dollar loss on each unit sold, which means with PSN+ alone it'll take Sony a year to make their loss back on each PS4 sold.

They make the money back really quickly through game sales.

#45 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@SonofK said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@SonofK said:

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

@SonofK said:

How much money did Sony lose on these sales, since the PS4 is being sold at a loss.

Not as much as MS will lose on all those Xbones that go unsold.

Good thing they won't have to worry about that since the XB1 is sold out everywhere

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@SonofK said:

How much money did Sony lose on these sales, since the PS4 is being sold at a loss.

Any link to back up this claim?

http://www.justpushstart.com/2013/09/sony-reveals-will-sell-ps4-loss/

Thanks for the link. Good thing for them they are now charging for online service. So the loss will be even less for them. They seem to be set up to do a whole lot better than they did with the PS3.

It's a 60 dollar loss on each unit sold, which means with PSN+ alone it'll take Sony a year to make their loss back on each PS4 sold.

No, the instant the person buys a year (which most will), that is $50 from each person that buys a year (more each year if they don't buy the whole year at once). Sony doesn't have to wait a year for that money. Sure some will not buy a whole year, but that is still instant money the first money. Then there is the fact that as time goes on, the cost to make each console will go down. And naturally they will work as fast as possible to get those cost down so they don't have that $60 loss with each console. Not sure what you are really trying to get at here, but I do know this. Sony is in good shape with the PS4 and to think otherwise is just letting your fanboy show. And if that is the case, then our conversation is over because I really don't feel like going back and forth with a blind raging fanboy.

#46 Posted by danabo (2474 posts) -

@danabo said:

@SonofK said:


@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@SonofK said:

How much money did Sony lose on these sales, since the PS4 is being sold at a loss.

Any link to back up this claim?

http://www.justpushstart.com/2013/09/sony-reveals-will-sell-ps4-loss/

If they're selling at a loss of $60*5000000 = -$300000000... how many copies of Knack and KZ do they need to sell to make up the losses?

@lx_theo said:

They make the money back really quickly through game sales.

Isn't the most pre-ordered game, KZ, only at 300,000 pre-orders?

#47 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@danabo said:

@SonofK said:


@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@SonofK said:

How much money did Sony lose on these sales, since the PS4 is being sold at a loss.

Any link to back up this claim?

http://www.justpushstart.com/2013/09/sony-reveals-will-sell-ps4-loss/

If they're selling at a loss of $60*5000000 = -$300000000... how many copies of Knack and KZ do they need to sell to make up the losses?

Not many considering they also charge for online now, which is something some of you seem to keep forgetting. Sure that sucks for anybody buying a PS4, me included, but it is good for Sony.

#48 Posted by SonofK (1066 posts) -

@lx_theo said:

@SonofK said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@SonofK said:

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

@SonofK said:

How much money did Sony lose on these sales, since the PS4 is being sold at a loss.

Not as much as MS will lose on all those Xbones that go unsold.

Good thing they won't have to worry about that since the XB1 is sold out everywhere

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@SonofK said:

How much money did Sony lose on these sales, since the PS4 is being sold at a loss.

Any link to back up this claim?

http://www.justpushstart.com/2013/09/sony-reveals-will-sell-ps4-loss/

Thanks for the link. Good thing for them they are now charging for online service. So the loss will be even less for them. They seem to be set up to do a whole lot better than they did with the PS3.

It's a 60 dollar loss on each unit sold, which means with PSN+ alone it'll take Sony a year to make their loss back on each PS4 sold.

They make the money back really quickly through game sales.

Sure, but I was only addressing PSN+ because the guy was implying that Sony could make their losses back on PSN+ alone, and they could, only it would take a year.

#49 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

@HaloinventedFPS said:

Pre orders don't mean sales

For a console launch with as much hype and demand as the PS4 it does. It will be sold out for months.

Correct. Even if the pre-order gets canceled, there will be somebody there that didn't pre-order to snatch it up.

#50 Posted by SonofK (1066 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@SonofK said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@SonofK said:

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

@SonofK said:

How much money did Sony lose on these sales, since the PS4 is being sold at a loss.

Not as much as MS will lose on all those Xbones that go unsold.

Good thing they won't have to worry about that since the XB1 is sold out everywhere

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@SonofK said:

How much money did Sony lose on these sales, since the PS4 is being sold at a loss.

Any link to back up this claim?

http://www.justpushstart.com/2013/09/sony-reveals-will-sell-ps4-loss/

Thanks for the link. Good thing for them they are now charging for online service. So the loss will be even less for them. They seem to be set up to do a whole lot better than they did with the PS3.

It's a 60 dollar loss on each unit sold, which means with PSN+ alone it'll take Sony a year to make their loss back on each PS4 sold.

NO, the instant the person buys a year (which most will), that is $50 for each person that buys a year (more each year if they don't buy the whole year at once.). Sony doesn't have to wait a year for that money. Sure some will not buy a whole year, but that is still instant money the first money. Then there is the fact that as time goes on, the cost to make each console will go down. And naturally they will work as fast as possible to get those cost down so they don't have that $60 loss with each console. Not sure what you are really trying to get at here, but I do know this. Sony is in good shape with the PS4 and to think otherwise is just letting your fanboy show. And if that is the case, then our conversation is over because I really don't feel like going back and forth with a blind raging fanboy.

If people buy the PSN+ for 50 dollars Sony STILL isn't going to make their money back in a year, they'll still be 10 dollars short of what they lost on each PS4 sold. So yes, going strictly off PSN+ Sony won't be able to make their money back.

Then there's the fact that the cost to make each console will go down? Really? Can I borrow your crystal ball? Because I sure would like to know what the next powerball numbers are. What a stupid argument, I can just as easily argue that the PS4 will go through several price drops which will negate saving money on lower production cost.

Sony lost money with the PS3, they're going to lose money with the PS4, you're argument of PSN+ making their money back has failed. I'm sorry that you aren't intelligent enough to understand a simple accounting principles and even 3rd grade mathematics but I'm not responsible for education you,. Have a nice day.