Sony, Nintendo, Valve, and Microsoft are working together

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

To present The Game Awards, a new video game awards show and platform that they are propping up as a replacement to the VGA and VGX, and one that they hope will be an industry wide standard. They are working alongside the biggest third party publishers, including EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Warner Bros., and more.

The three major console makers, Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo, and the largest publishers that produce games for the systems, have paired up to back “The Game Awards,” with the first event set to take place Dec. 5, from the Axis Theater in Las Vegas.

The show, which will be streamed live across all gaming systems and devices, is a direct challenge to Spike’s “VGX,” formerly “The Video Game Awards,” which was essentially a television promotional platform for upcoming releases during the peak holiday shopping season.

On December 5, videogame creators, press, and fans around the world will come together to celebrate all things videogames with The Game Awards 2014. Built to honor every aspect of the world’s most dynamic form of entertainment, The Game Awards 2014 will highlight the cultural significance of the $100B a year gaming industry with awards, world premieres, musical performances, and appearances by game developers, eSports players and online content creators. The Game Awards 2014 is a new show created specifically to acknowledge the place of videogames at the center of modern entertainment and culture.

“The Game Awards 2014 will celebrate our collective love of games and the passion we all hold in our hearts for this incredible entertainment medium,” said Geoff Keighley, Producer, The Game Awards 2014. “Gaming has never been stronger, and this year we will recognize the fastest-selling launch year in history for new game consoles, the rise of eSports and mobile gaming around the globe, and preview the games that will make 2015 the biggest year yet.”

Airing live from the state-of-the-art AXIS Theater in front the industry and the public, The Game Awards 2014 will be viewable around the world across a record number of gaming devices, platforms, media partners and services. More details on ways to watch the show will be released in the coming weeks at www.thegameawards.com Public tickets for the awards will be available for sale via TicketMaster on Tuesday, November 11.

The Game Awards 2014 is produced by Geoff Keighley, with the guidance of an advisory board that includes Reggie Fils-Aime (President and COO, Nintendo of America), Yves Guillemot (Co-Founder and CEO, Ubisoft), Hideo Kojima (Executive Contents Director, Kojima Productions), Shawn Layden (CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment America), Peter Moore (COO, Electronic Arts), Rockstar Games, Phil Spencer (Head of Xbox, Microsoft), Martin Tremblay (President, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment) and Valve.

“The Game Awards is a special event to honor the achievements in gaming, our talented developers and devoted fans. We look forward to celebrating the power of games this December,” said Yves Guillemot, Co-founder and CEO, Ubisoft.

“PlayStation looks forward to seeing our fans and celebrating with them both at The Game Awards and The PlayStation Experience in Las Vegas this December,” said Shawn Layden, CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment America. “For those who can’t join us in person, we will be livestreaming the weekend on PlayStation Network.”

“Electronic Arts has long championed the way gaming brings together players with the talented teams behind the world’s greatest video games, and this event will be an exciting new opportunity to do just that,” said Peter Moore, COO, Electronic Arts. “We look forward to supporting The Game Awards alongside our friends in the industry.”

“We have long been believers in the potential for videogames to inspire, challenge and entertain, and we look forward to standing with the industry to celebrate the medium at The Game Awards this year," said Jennifer Kolbe, VP of Publishing, Rockstar Games.

“Xbox is proud to be a part of The Game Awards and to celebrate the creative and innovative work that happens across the gaming industry all year long,” said Phil Spencer, Head of Xbox, Microsoft. “I am pleased Xbox One and Xbox 360 owners around the world will be able to watch the entire program through Xbox Live.”

“It’s been an amazing year in games and we’re excited to celebrate the industry’s achievements at The Game Awards alongside friends, colleagues and fans around the world,” said Martin Tremblay, President, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment.

“Valve is excited to share The Game Awards with over 100 million users on Steam around the world,” said Gabe Newell, Co-Founder and Managing Director, Valve. Alongside the free livestream, Steam will offer a special limited time Steam Sale as part of The Game Awards 2014 broadcast. More details will be announced closer to the event.

That's pretty big- it sounds like they are trying to have an actual, legitimate and meaningful games awards unlike the VGA and VGX, which were largely a joke. And it seems like they will also be trying to have all the fun reveals and announcements that VGA and VGX were known for.

This could be big. The awards are going to be streamed to all Xbox, PlayStation, and Nintendo devices on Friday, December 5, 2014 at 9 PM ET / 6 PM PT. Stay tuned.

SOURCE

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

So they just want to create a huge Advertisement without having to pay Spike TV?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@lostrib said:

So they just want to create a huge Advertisement without having to pay Spike TV?

Not necessarily. People like Valve are involved in this too, for instance. This could be legitimate.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

Nice Kotaku headline.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#5 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

Perhaps we can get to see some legitimate awards.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

I'll get the doritos and mountain dew ready.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@lostrib said:

The viewer ratings for the VGA's has died off in recent years, why bother paying Spike TV to do a piss poor job when you can do it all in house for a fraction of the cost. Hell, Sony makes nearly all the broadcast gear anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Loading Video...

I really hope they take it seriously.

Basically, do things this video suggests.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#9 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

I think I just heard Geoff Keighly drowning his sorrows with Mountain Dew.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Lionheart08: He's the producer of these lol.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

I think it's a great idea.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

@Lionheart08 said:

"The Game Awards 2014 is produced by Geoff Keighley"

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#13 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

@papatrop said:

@Lionheart08 said:

"The Game Awards 2014 is produced by Geoff Keighley"

Well shit, there goes my joke <_<

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

“Valve is excited to share The Game Awards with over 100 million users on Steam around the world,” said Gabe Newell, Co-Founder and Managing Director, Valve. Alongside the free livestream, Steam will offer a special limited time Steam Sale as part of The Game Awards 2014 broadcast. More details will be announced closer to the event.

Well then. My wallet is ready.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

@charizard1605 said:

@Lionheart08: He's the producer of these lol.

Well there goes my hope.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

Hah! Great thread title!

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

why would sony an microsoft work together tehy are directly competing with each other

ppl don't buy both xbox one and ps4 they pick one for all the multiplats

this is a bad idea for them to team they should hate each other and nintendo is the only one who should team up with the other to try to appear relevant

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 clyde46

@ProtossX said:

why would sony an microsoft work together tehy are directly competing with each other

ppl don't buy both xbox one and ps4 they pick one for all the multiplats

this is a bad idea for them to team they should hate each other and nintendo is the only one who should team up with the other to try to appear relevant

You need to bang those two brain cells of yours together a bit more mate.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Boo, I say, BOO!

They are trying to kill System Wars!!!!!

Wait, what am I booing for...

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 45894 Posts

The VGAs or VGX (can't remember which one, the one from spike) were the biggest joke I've ever seen in this industry. Like 0 integrity and they want their awards to have any meaning ? laughing out loud !

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11512 Posts

I just think award ceremonies for media related works are a joke in general. They are a waste of time and mean essentially nothing.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

old news most gamers know the heads of MS and SONY are buddies.

Numerous documents on how they share drinks with each other or tweets.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

If it gets me out of seeing Jeff Kieghly speak, I'm in.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

@Pikminmaniac: except for the fact that shows like the oscars have a demonstratable impact on film studios and their work, sure. Media awards are pointless.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

More importantly, Kojima's gonna announce new stuff about The Phantom Pain at this thing, so I'd say release date confirmation is imminent.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27  Edited By bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Huh. It'll be interesting. I'm wondering who is behind the awards? Can they be bought? Can we send Zoe Quinn to their hotel room to discuss the 'finer' points of bribery? What about all the tradition of buying judges and of the infamous swag bags? Are those still a deal? I'll have to wait to see how corrupt it is before I take it as a legit deal. All I know for sure is that as long as the corrupt mainstream gaming media isn't involved... it has a chance.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#28 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I hope this will be better than last year's Awards. That was awful.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Seems okay... But I'm not going to drop my panties just yet... We'l see how it plays it 1st.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11512 Posts

@darkspineslayer said:

@Pikminmaniac: except for the fact that shows like the oscars have a demonstratable impact on film studios and their work, sure. Media awards are pointless.

That's a fair enough point. I just don't see the point in watching them as a spectator. Why should I care what a random faction of people think is the best at any given category? What does that even mean?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@Pikminmaniac

That doesn't bother me... The one thing that does bother is the GOTY Category.... This specific award is broken.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

They are all working together to help Sony win this gen. Nintendo you go first and make a weak console with a lame controller. Then you MS announce you're going to have used game fees, DRM, & mandatory Kinect. Then we'll go and do everything squeaky clean (Sony). Looks like it's working out really well, as planned. LoL!

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Lulu_Lulu

@clr84651

Thatt was the Idea....

The current realitity is slightly different.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

I'll watch it through Nintendo TV. They give out awards and gifts on there

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18249 Posts

Nice, this sounds much more interesting than the awful VGA joke that Spike TV produces every year.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#36 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Was excited until I read "Geoff Keighly" .

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

Seeing as Spikes VGA were mediocre at best maybe they can all work together to make this like the Award Show version of E3. Would be nice to have E3 during the summer and then a nice wrap-up/award show at the end of the year.

Avatar image for meatwad_is_king
Meatwad_is_king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Meatwad_is_king
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Cool, so if Bayonetta 2 wins GOTY then I get to see Sony and MS shake Nintendo's hand on live tv?

Sounds ight.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 clyde46

@clr84651 said:

They are all working together to help Sony win this gen. Nintendo you go first and make a weak console with a lame controller. Then you MS announce you're going to have used game fees, DRM, & mandatory Kinect. Then we'll go and do everything squeaky clean (Sony). Looks like it's working out really well, as planned. LoL!

Sony? Squeaky clean? You tripping brah.

Avatar image for OniLordAsmodeus
OniLordAsmodeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By OniLordAsmodeus
Member since 2010 • 381 Posts

I'm not going to hold my breath on the quality, but honestly...ANYTHING...would be better than the VGA's.

Lol. I watched the first VGA's way back when and almost threw up in my mouth. Then I gave year 2 a try, cursed them all to hell, and moved on with my life. I'm glad I haven't wasted my time with any of them since then, but I do have a glimmer of hope that this new one will be something.

That being said, I probably won't watch. I'm not so hopeful that I will give them my time.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
@lostrib said:

I'd take a huge advert over the god awful cheese fest of the VGX awards.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By clyde46

@OniLordAsmodeus said:

I'm not going to hold my breath on the quality, but honestly...ANYTHING...would be better than the VGA's.

Lol. I watched the first VGA's way back when and almost threw up in my mouth. Then I gave year 2 a try, cursed them all to hell, and moved on with my life. I'm glad I haven't wasted my time with any of them since then, but I do have a glimmer of hope that this new one will be something.

That being said, I probably won't watch. I'm not so hopeful that I will give them my time.

You missed the abomination that was last years one.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Videogames are bigger than Hollywood. There really should be an Academy Awards type of venue for awarding merit. Hopefully, it can be ethically run and help promote quality games. Just imagine a world where Psychonauts got the recognition it really deserved.