Sony: Native 1080p allows you to “be a better gamer”

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by danabo (2474 posts) -

Speaking with Sony president Shuhei Yoshida at a PS4 review event in New York, he said that there’s a practical reason developers aim for 1080p: “I don't think any team is just fixated on 1080p, it's just one of the options...but [1080p] games allow you to be more precise and a better gamer. That's clearly the benefit.”

Yoshida offered an example focusing on Killzone: Shadow Fall. “You immediately notice the difference compared to playing most games on PS3, like [the original] Killzone which was rendered at 720p. You can clearly see the enemy in the fog, and with the accuracy of the DualShock 4 dual analog sticks, you can aim and shoot at enemies with pixel-perfect accuracy.”

Posing the same question to Mark Cerny, lead architect of the PS4 and director of Knack, he said, “Resolution does make a difference. One point of confusion is that people say, ‘Oh, you won’t notice the difference because you can’t resolve individual pixels unless you’re very close to the TV set.But even if you take a 1080p image and scale it down to 720p, it looks better. That’s called supersampling. It’s a very specific quality graphics technique.”

But for some games, higher resolution can come at a cost. For the PlayStation 4 review of CoD: Ghosts, Giant Bomb editor Jeff Gerstmann wrote that he experienced “a handful of noticeable dips in its frame rate.”

To explain, Cerny said, “Every developer is doing a trade-off between framerate and resolution, and they do that based on the game experience they are trying to create. Specifically looking at the launch titles for PlayStation 4, most of them are at 1080p. There are a variety of framerates.”

FULL ARTICLE HERE

#2 Posted by Mr-Kutaragi (1808 posts) -

Does xbone supersample now? Someone should tell DR3, because looks like sht.

#3 Posted by SinjinSmythe (789 posts) -

Sony is so full of DAmaGE ConTroL that I cant even keep track anymore.

#4 Posted by Consternated (478 posts) -

@danabo said:
you can aim and shoot at enemies with pixel-perfect accuracy.”

With a ludicrous amount of aim assist, of course.

#5 Posted by kuu2 (6769 posts) -

This is why Sony has stayed silent for so long. When their execs open their pie holes they sound like magnanimous douche nozzles. I can't imagine having these guys as the sole video game console providers.

#6 Posted by SinjinSmythe (789 posts) -

I had to come back in here and LOL some more.

#7 Edited by RedentSC (570 posts) -

@Consternated: True consolites turn off Aim Assist... trust me makes you feel even more of a god in Battlefield

#8 Posted by Sushiglutton (5164 posts) -

They are correct, it does make a difference when it come to spotting all kinds of details in the enviroment, including enemies, which does make a gameplay difference. Ofc it's rare that it's a decisive factor, but it happens.

#9 Edited by Krelian-co (9774 posts) -

@Mr-Kutaragi said:

Does xbone supersample now? Someone should tell DR3, because looks like sht.

dat 720p and 20 fps

#10 Posted by danabo (2474 posts) -

They are correct, it does make a difference when it come to spotting all kinds of details in the enviroment, including enemies, which does make a gameplay difference. Ofc it's rare that it's a decisive factor, but it happens.

They're correct?

Oh, you won’t notice the difference because you can’t resolve individual pixels unless you’re very close to the TV set.But even if you take a 1080p image and scale it down to 720p, it looks better.

Great stuff. 720p>1080p confirmed.

#11 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3201 posts) -

Games are only playable at 1080p anyway.

#12 Posted by -Unreal- (24474 posts) -

I wonder if they'll fall back to 720p and/or 30fps later on when developers want to put more demanding scenes in their games.

#13 Edited by Sushiglutton (5164 posts) -

@danabo said:

@Sushiglutton said:

They're correct?

Oh, you won’t notice the difference because you can’t resolve individual pixels unless you’re very close to the TV set.

But even if you take a 1080p image and scale it down to 720p, it looks better.

1080p downsampled to 720p looks better than native 720p. In terms of fruit: If you randomly get 3 apples and can pick the best 2, that's a better scenario than if you only got 2 to begin with that you must stick with. Not expecting you to get it, but one can always try.

#14 Edited by Vatusus (4186 posts) -

@danabo said:
you can aim and shoot at enemies with pixel-perfect accuracy.”

With a ludicrous amount of aim assist, of course.

I can be mistaken here but I think no Killzone game ever had aim assist. At least I'm sure Killzone 2 didnt, dont know about 3. Thats porbably why most noobs complained about Killzone 2 controls

#15 Posted by Mr-Kutaragi (1808 posts) -

@danabo said:

@Sushiglutton said:

They're correct?

Oh, you won’t notice the difference because you can’t resolve individual pixels unless you’re very close to the TV set.

lmao you not understanding your own quote. Lemming are so sad.

#16 Posted by Evo_nine (1559 posts) -

Heard the latest news?

COD on ps4 is also 720p, so much for that!

ps4 cant maintain 60fps at 720p? dear o dear.

#17 Posted by kuu2 (6769 posts) -

@Evo_nine said:

Heard the latest news?

COD on ps4 is also 720p, so much for that!

ps4 cant maintain 60fps at 720p? dear o dear.

Where are you getting this from?

I said before that IW is a lazy dev so it would not surprise me in the least.

#18 Edited by danabo (2474 posts) -

@Sushiglutton said:

@danabo said:

@Sushiglutton said:

They're correct?

1080p downsampled to 720p looks better than native 720p. In terms of fruit: If you randomly get 3 apples and can pick the best 2, that's a better scenario than if you only got 2 to begin with that you must stick with. Not expecting you to get it, but one can always try.

Sigh. Sony plays up 1080p. Sony then says 1080p looks better in 720p. I'm not the one with mixed messaging.

Did I really have to explain that?

EDIT: Let me just laugh at this bit again...

"with the accuracy of the DualShock 4 dual analog sticks, you can aim and shoot at enemies with pixel-perfect accuracy."

lol.

Okay, I'm good.

#19 Posted by Scipio8 (608 posts) -

1080p is good and all and given all things being equal I'll pick 1080p over 720p but this is a load of bull ***** LOL

" [1080p] games allow you to be more precise and a better gamer. That's clearly the benefit.”

#20 Edited by danabo (2474 posts) -

@Scipio8 said:

1080p is good and all and given all things being equal I'll pick 1080p over 720p but this is a load of bull ***** LOL

" [1080p] games allow you to be more precise and a better gamer. That's clearly the benefit.”

This article was nice a surprise. I didn't expect damage control from Sony over a few framerate issues.

"There are a variety of framerates."

Titter.

#21 Edited by lhughey (4221 posts) -

WTF? It doesn't make me a better gamer any more than having a washed car makes me a better driver. Those silly Sony execs..

But will it instill discipline? That is the question?

#22 Posted by killzowned24 (7281 posts) -

The OP and this lem are absolutely clueless lol.

Of course 1080 allows for better as can see more detail.And supersampling is what herms do to make their screenshots look much better,cap at 4k and downscale to 1080p= almost perfect AA.

#23 Posted by Scipio8 (608 posts) -

@danabo said:

@Scipio8 said:

This article was nice a surprise. I didn't expect damage control from Sony over a few framerate issues.

Titter.

LOL that is Gold, nice damage control for KillZone in "a variey of framerates"

#24 Posted by danabo (2474 posts) -

@SinjinSmythe said:

Of course 1080 allows for better as can see more detail.And supersampling is what herms do to make their screenshots look much better,cap at 4k and downscale to 1080p= almost perfect AA.

Do you have any idea what this "Oh, you won’t notice the difference because you can’t resolve individual pixels unless you’re very close to the TV set.But even if you take a 1080p image and scale it down to 720p, it looks better" means to a 'normal' person?

It's the same as saying 720p native upscaled to 1080p. They haven't got a clue, and it's mixed messaging. Say 1080p is better and stay there. This is terrible PR.

Titter.

#25 Edited by WilliamRLBaker (28301 posts) -

....BAHHHHHHHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

That's going in the Sony exec stupid quote pile.

#26 Posted by gago-gago (9078 posts) -

Terrible PR. Terrible launch. Sony doing a 180 the wrong way.

#27 Edited by lostrib (30937 posts) -

uh, they have aim assist and large hit boxes, i don't think the resolution will help that much. Maybe for something like sniping in BF4

#28 Posted by Doom_HellKnight (12182 posts) -

A clearer image allows you to make out finer details more easily, and therefore perform better. People that are used to 720p or less probably won't understand that until they see higher resolutions for themselves.

#29 Posted by nexus303 (204 posts) -

@SinjinSmythe said:

And with the Xbox:

#30 Posted by shawn30 (4250 posts) -

@danabo said:

Speaking with Sony president Shuhei Yoshida at a PS4 review event in New York, he said that there’s a practical reason developers aim for 1080p: “I don't think any team is just fixated on 1080p, it's just one of the options...but [1080p] games allow you to be more precise and a better gamer. That's clearly the benefit.”

Yoshida offered an example focusing on Killzone: Shadow Fall. “You immediately notice the difference compared to playing most games on PS3, like [the original] Killzone which was rendered at 720p. You can clearly see the enemy in the fog, and with the accuracy of the DualShock 4 dual analog sticks, you can aim and shoot at enemies with pixel-perfect accuracy.”

Posing the same question to Mark Cerny, lead architect of the PS4 and director of

Knack

, he said, “Resolution does make a difference. One point of confusion is that people say, ‘

That’s called supersampling. It’s a very specific quality graphics technique.”

But for some games, higher resolution can come at a cost. For the PlayStation 4 review of CoD: Ghosts, Giant Bomb editor Jeff Gerstmann wrote that he experienced

“a handful of noticeable dips in its frame rate.”

To explain, Cerny said, “Every developer is doing a trade-off between framerate and resolution, and they do that based on the game experience they are trying to create. Specifically looking at the launch titles for PlayStation 4, most of them are at 1080p. There are a variety of framerates.”

FULL ARTICLE HERE

Be a better gamer because the game is native 1080p? What the fuck is he smoking? Beyond stupid comment. Thankfully, PS4 PR men haven't made many of them.

#31 Posted by Cyberdot (3510 posts) -

Better gamer...

Wat?

#32 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38113 posts) -

So hermits are incredible gamers then?

#33 Edited by edidili (3446 posts) -

Did Sony called hermits better gamers for this entire gen?

#34 Posted by lundy86_4 (42541 posts) -

PC gamers superior, all this time?

#35 Posted by BilkeLegenda (1929 posts) -

So much for teh 1080p at 60fps.