Sony lost 5 billion on PS3, losing more money than ANY console in history

• 169 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

[QUOTE="Pikachu69er"]

[QUOTE="groverslanding"]The newer 360 models no longer fail

Sony's fail will never stop until they're out of business

There's the difference

groverslanding

yes they do, search up rrod on the xbox slims, and sony out of the business?? why?? they own europe and the rest of the world. why would they give that up

xbox cant sell outside america and uk

They own Europe and the rest of the world yet they lost 8 billion dollars in 2011? :lol:

Nothing to do with there gaming divison , mostly TV's a strong yen and natural disasters. Its always great to hear gamers try to be financial anaylist .

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#52 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

And who cares.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#53 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

[QUOTE="Pikachu69er"]

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]LOL i can't wait to see the PS4. Will probably be made out of cardboard with a drawing of a CPU that has "Cell" scribbled on it. Whats more depressing is that cows would lap it up anyway and defend it to the death. groverslanding

yet that cardboard box will have a lower failure rate then you're casualbox next gen

The newer 360 models no longer fail

Sony's fail will never stop until they're out of business

There's the difference

So we meet again phonemug follower.At least you can't create threads.:lol:

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

[QUOTE="groverslanding"]

[QUOTE="Pikachu69er"]

yes they do, search up rrod on the xbox slims, and sony out of the business?? why?? they own europe and the rest of the world. why would they give that up

AM-Gamer

They own Europe and the rest of the world yet they lost 8 billion dollars in 2011? :lol:

Nothing to do with there gaming divison , mostly TV's a strong yen and natural disasters. Its always great to hear gamers try to be financial anaylist .

especially the dumb ones
groverslanding

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 groverslanding
Member since 2012 • 952 Posts

[QUOTE="groverslanding"]

[QUOTE="Pikachu69er"]

AM-Gamer

PS3 has lost 5 billion and you're going to brag about its gaming division?

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts

[QUOTE="AM-Gamer"]

[QUOTE="groverslanding"]They own Europe and the rest of the world yet they lost 8 billion dollars in 2011? :lol:

groverslanding

I know. I mean, why would anyone talk about gaming on a gaming-related forum? That's just silly.
AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

[QUOTE="AM-Gamer"]

[QUOTE="groverslanding"]They own Europe and the rest of the world yet they lost 8 billion dollars in 2011? :lol:

groverslanding

You honeslty think as of 2012 it has lost 5 billion dolalrs? It made that money back in 2010 http://www.destructoid.com/playstation-3-is-finally-profitable-177777.phtml

Its been making money on game sales for years and now every console sold is sold for a profit. It took awhile but overall the PS3 has been profitable for Sony.

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts
Well at least Sony beat Microsoft in something this gen.
KiZZo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59 KiZZo1
Member since 2007 • 3989 Posts

They are in financial trouble, came out a year later and still managed to slap the KrapBox in high scoring exclusives.

Xbots mad - confirmed ...

groverslanding

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 groverslanding

They are in financial trouble, came out a year later and still managed to slap the KrapBox in high scoring exclusives.

Xbots mad - confirmed ...

KiZZo1

That's a pretty insignificant thing to boast about in the grand scheme of things. Scores on a website for a select portion of games for a slect portion years. Especially considering 360 has the higher rated library overall at that site.

groverslanding

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 groverslanding

[QUOTE="groverslanding"]

[QUOTE="AM-Gamer"]

AM-Gamer

You honeslty think as of 2012 it has lost 5 billion dolalrs? It made that money back in 2010 http://www.destructoid.com/playstation-3-is-finally-profitable-177777.phtml

Its been making money on game sales for years and now every console sold is sold for a profit. It took awhile but overall the PS3 has been profitable for Sony.

It made back a few hundred million after losing over 5 billion. Now it's overall loss for the generation sits at around 5 billion even.

Oh and their gaming division started losing again recently because of economic troubles and the Vita. So it might be 6 or 7 billion by the time we see a PS4 if we ever do.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#62 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
Finally Sony is in first place for something this gen
Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Rikusaki
Member since 2006 • 16634 Posts

If Sony dies, that leaves only two consoles with totally different target audiences. This next gen is going to be huge for digital services such as Steam, Origin, GFace and OnLive. I just know it.

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts

It made back a few hundred million after losing over 5 billion. Now it's overall loss for the generation sits at around 5 billion even.

Oh and their gaming division started losing again recently because of economic troubles and the Vita. So it might be 6 or 7 billion by the time we see a PS4 if we ever do.groverslanding

Rest assured, we will see a PS4. And like always, you'll keep frantically praying for Sony to go under.

KiZZo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 KiZZo1
Member since 2007 • 3989 Posts

If Sony dies, that leaves only two consoles with totally different target audiences. This next gen is going to be huge for digital services such as Steam, Origin, GFace and OnLive. I just know it.

Rikusaki

Or you just had to plug your employers, didn't you?

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#66 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

After PSone and PS2 huge success , PS3 came to take out any Psone and PS2 profits made all these years .... thats ridiculous. Dunno who to blame for this but definitly consoles wont be the same if Sony leave console industry. I really think if PS4 will fail , will be Sonys last console ... im 99% sure about it.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

loosingends new account or something, what did i miss?

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

Just embarrassing.

BlackAceII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 BlackAceII
Member since 2012 • 49 Posts

Sony. It only does everything. :lol:

Sony will go into the casuals now since hardcore cows dont buy games.

Selkc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Selkc
Member since 2011 • 203 Posts

sony is a disaster in general. they completely lost it. the last thing they didnt screw up was winning the hd disc war.

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#71 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

No way in hell they lost that much, I highly doubt it. Gaming is not the area they are having trouble in. The "source" is bs just like this thread.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts
They could loose a trillion dollars and go bankrupt and I don't care. PS4 is a go, locked and loaded. Day 1 purchase. Strap one one, gonna be a wild muther fuking ride. Instant day 1 purchase.
ispeakfact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 ispeakfact
Member since 2011 • 5317 Posts
If this is what it takes to continue having the greatest line up of games, then by all means Sony, continue doing what you are doing. Nobody on system wars is effected by sales of any console co. Well...they are effected as far as jelly goes, however. :cool:
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

Good to see that he cites nothing.

Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#75 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts

Worrying statistics.

CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 CajunShooter
Member since 2006 • 5276 Posts

Cows are getting pretty freaking desperate to deny the credibility of Neogaf adminphonemug

So if an admin on here posted some random stats they would be credible?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

[QUOTE="phonemug"]

Cows are getting pretty freaking desperate to deny the credibility of Neogaf adminCajunShooter

So if an admin on here posted some random stats they would be credible?

Yep. I find it far more prudent to know how he came to this conclusion and what information was cited. I guess i'm just being picky though, we should just take stuff at face value :P

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#78 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

Sony all about the consumer not about the greed like other companies. :cool:

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#79 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Hahaha one guy on a forum is now credible source... :lol: Try harder TC.
Vraeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Vraeth
Member since 2005 • 1208 Posts

It's no surprise to me that Sony is losing money, they're taking one for the team.

In an age where casual games dominate and children / soccer moms are the dominant consumers in sheer numbers, Sony looks in the other direction.

If I had a genie and could make a wish on how I wanted a major game company to perform, Sony would be the result. I'm an adult gamer that likes traditional "core" games, and that's Sony's focus, and that's where they excel.

It literally almost seems like Sony doesn't care about money, because all they want to do is please me. I'm in the minority, I'm an adult gamer that prefers traditional "core" games. I am far outnumbered by soccer moms and children, and they prefer casual games, and motion controlled casual games are what sell, because the target audience is the largest.

Sony is like a dream come true for me, because for whatever reason, they don't care about making money and just choose to please me as a gamer and continue making the games I want and the types of games that I like to play. I swear, I never had a genie and never made a wish for this to happen, but it is what it is, and Sony is the way that they are, and I love it!

arkephonic

The only reason Sony hasn't whored out to the casuals is because the Move was a complete failure.

Don't pretend like they didn't try.

Pelon208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Pelon208
Member since 2005 • 3375 Posts

[QUOTE="campzor"][QUOTE="follis12"] So people can search for your mom?follis12
funny...oh wait no, you are a moron.

Well, you're mama loooves her some moron!

Are you 8 years old? Get a brain

I don't know why gamespot allows this a**holes to be in the site, its really annoying

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts
As far as games go, Sony will *continue* offering gaming experiences through its PlayStation *hardware* as well as the PlayStation Network, but plans to expand its catalog of downloadable game titles and subscription services. Sony hopes for one trillion yen and an operating income margin of 8 percent by FY14. PS4 is a go, locked and loaded. Strap yourself in, gonna be a wild muther fuking ride. Instant day 1 buy..oh yeahhh
Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts

-Renegade

Don't tell me you actually believe this.

peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 peterw007
Member since 2005 • 3653 Posts

[QUOTE="arkephonic"]

It's no surprise to me that Sony is losing money, they're taking one for the team.

In an age where casual games dominate and children / soccer moms are the dominant consumers in sheer numbers, Sony looks in the other direction.

If I had a genie and could make a wish on how I wanted a major game company to perform, Sony would be the result. I'm an adult gamer that likes traditional "core" games, and that's Sony's focus, and that's where they excel.

It literally almost seems like Sony doesn't care about money, because all they want to do is please me. I'm in the minority, I'm an adult gamer that prefers traditional "core" games. I am far outnumbered by soccer moms and children, and they prefer casual games, and motion controlled casual games are what sell, because the target audience is the largest.

Sony is like a dream come true for me, because for whatever reason, they don't care about making money and just choose to please me as a gamer and continue making the games I want and the types of games that I like to play. I swear, I never had a genie and never made a wish for this to happen, but it is what it is, and Sony is the way that they are, and I love it!

Vraeth

The only reason Sony hasn't whored out to the casuals is because the Move was a complete failure.

Don't pretend like they didn't try.

The Move was a failure because it didn't do anything new...it was basically an exact retread of the Wii without interesting franchises and slightly better technology.

Nobody wants to buy the same gimmick twice.

ThisIsTwoFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 ThisIsTwoFace
Member since 2011 • 1132 Posts

[QUOTE="Assassin_87"]

[QUOTE="follis12"] yo mama is going to teach me good grammerfollis12

My "mama" is dead.:|

Try to stay on topic from now on, please. This is supposed to be a thread about the PS3 and the massive losses that Sony incurred because of it.

Yo mama ain't dead - she's hiding out at my crib

:lol: THIS GUY IS HILARIOUS.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

-Renegade
yep you keep sayng that when Sony completely restructures fires off every one exept the core of their game company they have no more phone, tv or anything else and start chariging for online...ect just to make up the debt they will still have...or even worse when they have to close down...you can say ahh I remember the good old sony they cared about the consumers not money...
Avatar image for deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0
deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0
Member since 2008 • 2051 Posts
Isn't there any source for us that want to read?
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I'll believe it when you have a credible source.

jakeocooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 jakeocooney
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

You know who didn't lose? Me. I bought a PS3 shortly after launch and have never been disappointed. If I think the next Xbox will be better, I will get it. Why anyone would care about a huge corporation's profits is besides me but please...continue.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

-Renegade
I'm sure all the people who just lost their jobs at Sony are very happy about this comment.
MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

Rikusaki

Don't get your hopes up Rikusaki OnLive is going to die very soon, I mean who want to play games that look like a moving oil painting with input lag?

groverslanding

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 groverslanding

Isn't there any source for us that want to read?Robbazking
Here is the source of the quote for those who want to read. Neogaf staff are as credible as you'll get in this industry.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=469872&page=9

fadersdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 fadersdream
Member since 2006 • 3154 Posts

[QUOTE="groverslanding"]It made back a few hundred million after losing over 5 billion. Now it's overall loss for the generation sits at around 5 billion even.

Oh and their gaming division started losing again recently because of economic troubles and the Vita. So it might be 6 or 7 billion by the time we see a PS4 if we ever do.nervmeister

Rest assured, we will see a PS4. And like always, you'll keep frantically praying for Sony to go under.

Personally I don't root for sony to go under, but I do wish they had a better sense of what people wanted earlier on. Between getting caught up in the HD battles at the beginning of the System launch and not releasing exclusives and top performing multiplats something really got lost. The multiplats didn't look as good but there was constant praise of the systems capabilities and disc space... but it never amounted to anything. They have had a couple good years now but they need solid performance and successful implementation for several straight years or they really are doomed.
Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#95 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Vari3ty

This is true but is like 4 years old, TC is just grasping at straws. The neogafer says that the PS3 has lost more money than any other console and it's true. The PS3 has costed Sony 4.7 billion in loses (remember that Sony sold PS3 at a loss because of the blu-ray to win the format war) but MS was in a similar situation with the first Xbox with 4.2 billion loses and unlike Sony with the PS3 they never made a profit out of it. The first Xbox only sold like 20 millions and to be honest, it is a miracle the Xbox 360 even exist but you gotta give it to MS. Their pockets are really deep, and not to mention the RRoD fiasco and the many millions of dollars they had to put up to extend the warranties to not get sued.

MS is lucky that Apple still hasn't break through their Windows monopoly while Sony is having a hard time selling TVs, laptops and stuff because of Apple and Samsung (and the recession) and that's why they are now going to shift focus only to gaming, cameras and smartphones, because there's less competition there. Some analysts even say that Sony will become a software company. :lol:

Links below:

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/30/ps3-has-lost-sony-4-7-billion-may-be-profitable-next-year/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/bibb-says-sony-making-tectonic-shift-to-software/2012/03/27/gIQAEo5AfS_video.html

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

sony?

profit?

just wait!

:P

groverslanding

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 groverslanding

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

Gue1

This is true but is like 4 years old, TC is just grasping at straws. The neogafer says that the PS3 has lost more money than any other console and it's true. The PS3 has costed Sony 4.7 billion in loses (remember that Sony sold PS3 at a loss because of the blu-ray to win the format war) but MS was in a similar situation with the first Xbox with 4.2 billion loses and unlike Sony with the PS3 they never made a profit out of it. The first Xbox only sold like 20 millions and to be honest, it is a miracle the Xbox 360 even exist but you gotta give it to MS. Their pockets are really deep, and not to mention the RRoD fiasco and the many millions of dollars they had to put up to extend the warranties to not get sued.

MS is lucky that Apple still hasn't break through their Windows monopoly while Sony is having a hard time selling TVs, laptops and stuff because of Apple and Samsung (and the recession) and that's why they are now going to shift focus only to gaming, cameras and smartphones, because there's less competition there. Some analysts even say that Sony will become a software company. :lol:

Links below:

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/30/ps3-has-lost-sony-4-7-billion-may-be-profitable-next-year/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/bibb-says-sony-making-tectonic-shift-to-software/2012/03/27/gIQAEo5AfS_video.html

You seem to fail to grasp the concept that just because Sony made a couple hundred million between 2009-2010, that in no way accounts for 5 billion losses in suffered between 2007-2009. Now their gaming division is losing money again.

In total it looks like they'll be out 7 to 8 billion in their gaming division since 2007 with the way the Vita is performing.

peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 peterw007
Member since 2005 • 3653 Posts

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

groverslanding

Links below:

You seem to fail to grasp the concept that just because Sony made a couple hundred million between 2009-2010, that in no way accounts for 5 billion losses in suffered between 2007-2009. Now their gaming division is losing money again.

In total it looks like they'll be out 7 to 8 billion in their gaming division since 2007 with the way the Vita is performing.

In the recent company-wide corporate strategy meeting, the CEO stated that the gaming division brings them "substantial profit."

"In game business we will target steady profits in the core game business and we also worked to spend in and expend the network services business, the two majors that we've sided already will be implemented steadily. The PlayStation business is a platform model based upon strong and competitive hardware. PlayStation 3 is in its sixth year and is now generating steady profit. We expect PlayStation 3, the newly introduced PlayStation Vita which we reported to the market last year and PSP which still continue to enjoy momentum in developing countries; they together we believe deliver substantial profit."

I don't see how that equates to "their gaming division is losing money again."

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts
[QUOTE="-Renegade"]

WilliamRLBaker
yep you keep sayng that when Sony completely restructures fires off every one exept the core of their game company they have no more phone, tv or anything else and start chariging for online...ect just to make up the debt they will still have...or even worse when they have to close down...you can say ahh I remember the good old sony they cared about the consumers not money...

I have been hearing that one since 2002 when online launched free on PS2 and for $50 on xbox live. When 360 fans will get it,MS charge for online play because that is how they planned everything from the start,live could be free tomorrow and the online money MS would loose would be the fee attach to it,because selling games,and all the stuff for which MS charge developer for more than cover the expenses MS has with xbox live. People like you are on denial xbox live is a rip off and it will always be,and if sony charge for PSN one day it would also be a rip off,there no double standard there.
groverslanding

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 groverslanding

[QUOTE="groverslanding"]

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

Links below:

peterw007

In the recent comapny-wide meeting, the CEO stated that the gaming division will bring them "incredible profit."

"In game business we will target steady profits in the core game business and we also worked to spend in and expend the network services business, the two majors that we've sided already will be implemented steadily. The PlayStation business is a platform model based upon strong and competitive hardware. PlayStation 3 is in its sixth year and is now generating steady profit. We expect PlayStation 3, the newly introduced PlayStation Vita which we reported to the market last year and PSP which still continue to enjoy momentum in developing countries; they together we believe deliver substantial profit."

I don't see how that equates to "their gaming division is losing money again."

So because the Sony CEO is being optimistic about the future Sony's gaming division is not losing money right now? They lost money in the last quarter, in the real world.

PSP is on the way out, Vita is a complete failure, and PS3 has about 6 months until next gen starts and they dont have the money to compete in the next console race.

These are Sonys last moments. Enjoy.