Sony killing the online for several titles in 2014

• 93 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by MrYaotubo (2635 posts) -
#2 Edited by Ghost120x (3738 posts) -

Lame, but I doubt many people are playing these games anyway. It will suck especially for those who like games like mag which have no offline portion. This is why I don't like titan fall.

#3 Edited by Nanomage (2403 posts) -

Wait,they´re shutting down GT5 in may? WTF sony...game has tons of people playing still. This is shady as fuck,and yeah clearly to drive up the sales of GT6.

#4 Edited by WG_McFartypants (218 posts) -

I'm sure it's Microsoft's fault.

#5 Posted by jsmoke03 (12748 posts) -

sucks that they are shutting down gt but im surprised ps2 games still had online components.

#6 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

Microsoft forced Sony to do this.

#7 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9497 posts) -

PlayStation 2

WRC 4 - The Official Game of the FIA World Rally Championship

WRC: Rally Evolved

Formula One 05

SOCOM: U.S. NAVY SEALs

Amplitude

Destruction Derby Arenas

Everybody's Golf

EyeToy Chat

F1 '04

Hardware: Online Arena

Jak X

Killzone

Lemmings PS2

My Street

Ratchet & Clank 3

Ratchet: Gladiator

SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Combined Assault

SOCOM II: U.S. Navy SEALs

SOCOM 3: US Navy SEALs

Syphon Filter Omega Strain

This is Football 2004

This is Football 2005

Twisted Metal: Black Online

WTF? PS2 was still going after all these years?

But anyways out of the games on PS3, are games that are old or games that were financial Flops and/or the studios dont even exist anymore (Zipper = Socom Games, MAG).

Insomniac want be doing exclusives with SONY no more and the are do with Resistance, so seeing R1 and R2 go is fine, but R3? alittle soon but they never supported that game in the fist place, it could of been good if they updated it and had DLC for it. But it was decent at best anyways, fun for like 2-3 days, and it would get old fast. Wasnt really that populated either, the R2 fans didnt like it. I only like the small death match 2vs2, and the fact that they didnt put Co-op made people upset coming from R2's awsome 8player co-op. R3's single player is what shined the most.

#8 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70646 posts) -

i am surprised they are shutting down GT 5 and R3. The others are fine though

#9 Posted by gago-gago (9352 posts) -

You get what you pay for.

#10 Edited by hoosier7 (3780 posts) -

+1

I did love R1's multiplayer though but admittedly haven't played it in a good two years or so after a "friend" borrowed it and never returned it.

Doesn't really affect me since i might sell my PS3 in the next few weeks but i have seen retailers selling MAG which is pretty poor ethically as it's been known it's servers were closing for a long while iirc.

#11 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3474 posts) -

I blame Kaz.

#12 Edited by The_Last_Ride (70646 posts) -

@hoosier7 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

+1

I did love R1's multiplayer though but admittedly haven't played it in a good two years or so after a "friend" borrowed it and never returned it.

Doesn't really affect me since i might sell my PS3 in the next few weeks but i have seen retailers selling MAG which is pretty poor ethically as it's been known it's servers were closing for a long while iirc.

i was actually considering getting Resistance trilogy, i might not now though

#13 Edited by TheFadeForever (1700 posts) -

GT5 hmmm sounds like a way to sell more GT6 copies

#14 Edited by ghostwarrior786 (3867 posts) -

Well gt5 is a few years old and resistance is sh^t, sony is actually doing everyone a favour. Thank you sony

#15 Edited by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -

not the first company nor will it be the last.

maintaining servers for hardly anyone playing~ theres only one thing to do. KILL IT

#16 Posted by clyde46 (44900 posts) -

Welcome to business folks.

#17 Edited by Beefkebob (75 posts) -

You can STILL play GT5 single player so get out of here with this doom and gloom non sense

File this thread under who gives a flying rats ass

By the way, to be exact, the link says Sony is shutting down servers to only two PS3 games...two notable PS3 games only...

Saying "several" in the OP is disingenuous. Reeks of Microsoft shill FUD

And not only that, it is a common practice to shut down game servers,

So anyone getting mad at Sony for this should start getting mad at everyone else who does it or has done it too,

Other wise you expose yourself

Bottom line, these are TWO OLD PS3 GAMES, who really cares...and again, this stuff happens all the time....

In fact, where are the hate threads when Microsoft or EA do it

Where were the threads when Microsoft shut down Halo 3 servers right before the next Halo game came out

After reading the OP and the neogaf thread, one thing has become obvious, xbots are just using this as an "oppurtunity" to start up a hate bandwagon....any one who blindly follows sute is irrational...

Going back to what I said, considering there is an exact thread like this on neogaf, btw fuck Neogaf, there is NO DOUBT in my mind now that this is a "story" Microsoft shills are using and trying to expliot to suite their agenda of drumming up fake Sony hate

Not going to work. Ever. Fuck off Microsoft shills

#18 Edited by SolidTy (42444 posts) -

A lot of PS2 games are going offline in 2014.

The PS2 released in 2000, my goodness.

#19 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

This is the main reason why i hate multiplayer, you never hear about single player games getting shut down later on in it's lifespan.

#20 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (3013 posts) -

GT5 already getting shut down? I guess no one bought GT6.

#21 Posted by dotWithShoes (4834 posts) -

By the way, to be exact, the link says Sony is ONLY shutting down servers to two games...TWO GAMES ONLY...

You don't read very well do you? It lists a good many more than two games.

#22 Edited by Beefkebob (75 posts) -

Reading the neogaf thread about this is insane

So many idiots, nintendo fans, and xbots on that site.

Look at all the anti-consumer things Microsoft has done

Yet xbots stood quite then ...and even attempted to defend Microsoft's many truly anti-consumer schemes/ policies

But YET Sony shuts down servers to two OLD PS3 games, a common practice by most...and those same xbots/neogaf trolls who defended xbone's DRM are now giving Sony shit for this....and want to act like this is whats anti-consumer

What a joke. soo transparent.

Xbots are just waiting to jump on any little story they can find and spin into a negative about the Playstation, and then blow it way out of proportion.....why this same thread was posted on neogaf and now here....

Microsoft shills try to spread so much FUD about Sony, I dont KNOW HOW Microsoft hasnt been taken to court by Sony yet

If anyone from Sony is reading this....YOU have to start fighting back...you HAVE TO START counter-acting the Microsoft shills and xbots attempting to spread hate and FUD

#23 Posted by Opus_Rea-333 (951 posts) -

they need the monay for the new Naughty Dog graphics engine.

suks to be a GT5 owner !! but thats sony style LOL.

#24 Edited by ninjapirate2000 (3013 posts) -

^ Trolololol Brofist so epic.

#25 Edited by hoosier7 (3780 posts) -

@hoosier7 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

+1

i was actually considering getting Resistance trilogy, i might not now though

I'm considering the same, i'm looking at the MGS collection and Resistance 2 and 3 which i never got round to playing despite loving the first. But with the next gen games costing near to £50 plus being way over due on buying a new guitar selling the PS4 whilst it's holding some value seems sensible.

#26 Posted by bbkkristian (14942 posts) -

So MAG and Socom Confrontation are becoming useless discs. How ridiculous. So people are just going to throw them away? I know they weren't that big, but it really bugs me. Those two games will not become retro, only memories... It's sad, and it's all because they didn't include a single player.

#27 Edited by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

So MAG and Socom Confrontation are becoming useless discs. How ridiculous. So people are just going to throw them away? I know they weren't that big, but it really bugs me. Those two games will not become retro, only memories... It's sad, and it's all because they didn't include a single player.

I hate it too, i still play old Super Nintendo games 20+ years later, and if a multiplayer game lives more than 1 year its considered a success. Single Player will always be king to me.

#28 Posted by blackace (20272 posts) -

http://uk.playstation.com/ps3/support/games/detail/item97821/Support-for-online-game-features/

PS4 just released and already sony is starting to shut down the online component of some games,most notably Gran Turismo 5...sounds like a really shitty way to make people buy GT6...

I can understand M.A.G. and the terrible SOCOM games, but I just started playing White Knight Chronicles 1 & 2 and I wanted to play Motostorm online some more. I guess I better get back to playing these games.

#29 Edited by Dreams-Visions (26569 posts) -

^ Man if you didn't get enough of Motorstorm in the last 7 years, it's probably just too late. Speaking of old games, I was pleasantly suprised to see Warhawk still has quite a few players playing it. I played it last week for about 5 minutes. That was about how much time it took me to realize I had no idea how to play the game anymore.

Why would they shut down GT5? Is the online player base that low?

#30 Edited by Nengo_Flow (9497 posts) -

Same thing will happen to TitanFall 7-8 years from now.

#31 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

Lol! Thread backfire. The majority of those games have been around for almost a decade. SDC.

#32 Edited by Nengo_Flow (9497 posts) -

@blackace said:

@MrYaotubo said:

http://uk.playstation.com/ps3/support/games/detail/item97821/Support-for-online-game-features/

PS4 just released and already sony is starting to shut down the online component of some games,most notably Gran Turismo 5...sounds like a really shitty way to make people buy GT6...

I can understand M.A.G. and the terrible SOCOM games, but I just started playing White Knight Chronicles 1 & 2 and I wanted to play Motostorm online some more. I guess I better get back to playing these games.

No one ever played MotorStorm online bro.... those servers were empty even on launch week of the release of the games.

#33 Posted by Nanomage (2403 posts) -

Lol! Thread backfire. The majority of those games have been around for almost a decade. SDC.

Yeah,like MAG,Resistance,Socom Confrontation and especially the best selling PS3 exclusive and only three years old,GT5.

LOL.

#34 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9497 posts) -

@Nanomage said:

@xboxdone74 said:

Yeah,like MAG,Resistance,Socom Confrontation and especially the best selling PS3 exclusive and only three years old,GT5.

LOL.

Again.... MAG and Socom is understandable, they werent financial success (MAG servers were very demanding too), and the dev studio had closed down like 2 years ago. Resistance R1 and 2 are old, while R3 came out in 2011, alot of people did not like the online compared to R2 and it was not even supported very well by Insomniac. Insomniac has moved on and is on EAs pay roll now.

Yeah its weird about GT5 but I dont give a fuck, I hate racing sims, I wish SONY would stop making those fucking games. Waste of time.

#35 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -
#36 Posted by lostrib (34402 posts) -

Yet xbots stood quite then ...and even attempted to defend Microsoft's many truly anti-consumer schemes/ policies

But YET Sony shuts down servers to two OLD PS3 games, a common practice by most...and those same xbots/neogaf trolls who defended xbone's DRM are now giving Sony shit for this....and want to act like this is whats anti-consumer

Xbots are just waiting to jump on any little story they can find and spin into a negative about the Playstation, and then blow it way out of proportion.....why this same thread was posted on neogaf and now here....

Microsoft shills try to spread so much FUD about Sony, I dont KNOW HOW Microsoft hasnt been taken to court by Sony yet

If anyone from Sony is reading this....YOU have to start fighting back...you HAVE TO START counter-acting the Microsoft shills and xbots attempting to spread hate and FUD

how did you get that they are only shutting down servers to two games?

Are you really trying to say that sony wouldn't do something anti-consumer?

#37 Edited by remiks00 (1705 posts) -

I know that most of these games are old, but this is one of the main problems with using dedicated servers vs P2P. God forbid if your game was "online-only", it officially becomes a drink coaster. You have no control over when they decide to shutdown servers... Sad times for GT5 players.

#38 Edited by Gaming-Planet (13995 posts) -

Wow... talk about consumer focused.

#39 Posted by Arthas045 (5100 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

Welcome to business folks.

Said the best right here...

#40 Edited by hoplayletsplay (978 posts) -

I enjoyed my time spent with MAG. Although I stopped playing it but this really sucks. This will make me think twice before I consider buying another online focused game. ;(

#41 Posted by 2Chalupas (5014 posts) -

Didn't even realize Pacific Rift was dead already. I always mean to go back and finish that game up. Oh well.

#42 Edited by Rage010101 (5470 posts) -

and yet pc games from 15 years ago are still going strong online. LMFAO PC FTW!!!

#43 Posted by Heil68 (43450 posts) -

Amazing that PS2 games are still running...

#44 Posted by nini200 (9594 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Amazing that PS2 games are still running...

I'm sorry but that squirrel is epic heil lol

#45 Posted by charizard1605 (56002 posts) -

Doesn't GT5 still have a very active online community? If so, this is a very (almost uncharacteristically) shitty move by Sony.

#46 Posted by MrYaotubo (2635 posts) -

@blackace said:

@MrYaotubo said:

No one ever played MotorStorm online bro.... those servers were empty even on launch week of the release of the games.

GT5 does have a very active online comnunity,turning it off early next year is a massive shit move from sony,that´s MS level.

#47 Posted by W1NGMAN- (9958 posts) -

Damn Socom Confrontation will finally bite the dust, easily my most played game of last gen.

#48 Posted by RoslindaleOne (7565 posts) -

Is Brofists for real? I mean, is this dude a fakeboy or a legit lunatic?

#49 Edited by SolidTy (42444 posts) -

@bbkkristian said:

That's what is going to eventually happen to the upcoming and heavily hyped MP only Titan Fall and every MP only game on consoles. Especially after TF2 comes out as TF1 is MP only. In theory, TF2 is going to kill TF1'd online community, then at some point it will just be offline. The safest bet for that game would be PC if you worry about this process as it will have the longest life on PC. TF2 will hopefully have SP.

I've been through this a few times over the years with MP only console games. It ends with a coaster disc. :(

It sux going in and knowing that the day you buy it, but that's what I hate about depending on online gaming. It's very disposable and you are at the mercy of whatever company. Just like many of my fave Xbox online games for the OGXbox 1. Fun memories... :(

I do think Sony should reconsider GT5 if that community is large, I'm not into racers so I have no idea, but I hope if that game is popular they change their tune if there is enough feedback. Thankfully GT5 has an SP campaign.

This is also why I hate online required achievements/trophies. At some point, you can't ever get those if the game goes offline.

#50 Posted by W1NGMAN- (9958 posts) -

My issue is seeing copies of MAG still being sold in stores just mere months of it's servers going down. They better authorize a complete stop of distribution because I'd be a pretty pissed off customer if I bought MAG a month prior to it not functioning anymore.