Sony is making The Last of Us movie

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by IgGy621985 (4855 posts) -

Sam Raimi is rumored as a director.

Naughty Dog bosses Evan Wells and Christophe Balestra are teaming up with Evil Dead director Sam Raimi for the film, and The Last of Us directors Neil Druckmann and Bruce Staley will be involved as well. No word on a plot just yet, other than the logline from Deadline:

Hardened survivor Joel teams with young and capable companion Ellie to journey through a radically transformed world some 20 years after an infectious pandemic ravages humanity. The game has won numerous awards and has been a big seller since its release last summer.

More here. (link currently dead)

Thoughts?

#2 Posted by CrownKingArthur (5085 posts) -

again?

#3 Posted by Chutebox (37864 posts) -

This could be awesome....probably not though.

#4 Posted by freedomfreak (41888 posts) -
@CrownKingArthur said:

again?

:dayna2:

#5 Posted by Shewgenja (9967 posts) -

Well, if any game has a chance of actually translating into a movie, this would be the one. It sure would be nice if Hollywood would take these franchises seriously.

#6 Posted by Ballroompirate (23450 posts) -

So it's going to be like The Road which might ether be a good thing or a bad thing.

#7 Posted by wolverine4262 (19957 posts) -

It only says Sam Raimi is producing.

#8 Edited by heretrix (37479 posts) -

@IgGy621985 said:

Bad news: Sam Raimi is the director. His last movie was Evil Dead remake.

Thoughts?

Sam Raimi didn't do the Evil Dead remake, He created the originals, which were fucking awesome.

#9 Posted by sts106mat (20160 posts) -

what happened to the Peter Jackson Halo movie?, the bioshock movie? the mass effect movie ? the uncharted movie is still coming though right?

#10 Posted by ni6htmare01 (1054 posts) -

whats the point? the freaking game is like a movie

#11 Edited by IgGy621985 (4855 posts) -

@heretrix said:

@IgGy621985 said:

Bad news: Sam Raimi is the director. His last movie was Evil Dead remake.

Thoughts?

Sam Raimi didn't do the Evil Dead remake, He created the originals. Which were fucking awesome.

True, correcting the op.

#12 Edited by IgGy621985 (4855 posts) -

@sts106mat said:

what happened to the Peter Jackson Halo movie?, the bioshock movie? the mass effect movie ? the uncharted movie is still coming though right?

There won't be a Halo movie, but Halo TV series. Spielberg will be producing it.

#13 Posted by mems_1224 (47818 posts) -

@IgGy621985 said:

Sam Raimi

Stopped caring right there

#14 Edited by Heil68 (46127 posts) -

I guess it's time to win some Oscars.

#15 Edited by Flubbbs (3397 posts) -

video game adaptions are always sketchy.. atleast Neil Druckmann is doing the script and Josh Brolin as Joel would be pretty awesome..

#16 Posted by SolidTy (45106 posts) -

@IgGy621985 said:

Sam Raimi is rumored as a director.

Naughty Dog bosses Evan Wells and Christophe Balestra are teaming up with Evil Dead director Sam Raimi for the film, and The Last of Us directors Neil Druckmann and Bruce Staley will be involved as well. No word on a plot just yet, other than the logline from Deadline:

Hardened survivor Joel teams with young and capable companion Ellie to journey through a radically transformed world some 20 years after an infectious pandemic ravages humanity. The game has won numerous awards and has been a big seller since its release last summer.

More here. (link currently dead)

Thoughts?

WOW, if Raimi does it.

Usually movies like this get young, first time directors. What a coup if they get Raimi to actually direct...and no, I won't count it if Raimi merely produces it.

#17 Posted by ActicEdge (24492 posts) -

Could work if it was not about joel and ellie. Absolutely no point in it doing the game's plot though, TLOU resonates because you control they characters and personally play out the encounters and engage in conversation. Couldn't work as a movie.

#18 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17651 posts) -

Will be interested if Raimi directs it. Tis a good director.

#19 Posted by Karnage108 (2419 posts) -
@CrownKingArthur said:

again?

I know, I already saw I Am Legend...

#20 Edited by Stringerboy (7203 posts) -

Another zombie apocolapse film, oh boy.

@Heil68 said:

I guess it's time to win some Oscars.

Indeed, just look at how the silent hill films turned out eh?

#21 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17286 posts) -

It doesn't need a movie. The game works because the relation between Joel and Ellie is shown over a long period of time. If they are going to shorten that time to fit a one and half or two hour movie, it could hurt the story

@sts106mat said:

Could be. There is also a Sly Cooper movie and Ratchet and Clank movie coming.

Sony is making movies of a lot of their franchises it seems.

The best part is: Uwe Boll isn't directing any of them !!!

#22 Posted by lostrib (40000 posts) -

So they're just going to convert the game shot for shot into live action?

#23 Posted by gago-gago (9678 posts) -

With all these layoffs and assets being sold, Sony making movies instead of big budget games like MS, just shows Sony can't afford taking the risk of making big budget games right now. They're more comfortable with their entertainment movie side of their business.

#24 Posted by BattleSpectre (6535 posts) -

If I got one dollar for every time I hear of a developer wanting to make a video game movie I'd be rich. Problem is how come I never see these movies around, are they not released in cinemas everywhere around the world or something? I've lost count on how many times videogame movies are announced, but where are they?

#25 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38218 posts) -

To be expected wasn't it?

Also...

@CrownKingArthur said:

again?

lol'd

#26 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (14737 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:
@CrownKingArthur said:

again?

Oh gawd damnit all.

#27 Posted by getyeryayasout (7938 posts) -

They gonna cast Ellen Page?

#28 Posted by chocolate1325 (32595 posts) -

Leave the game as a game there is no need for a movie remember the RE movies.

#29 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (15192 posts) -

@ R4gn4r0k

I played the game twice. Theres a whole lot of Nothing in between Encounters and Cutscenes, half of the game is nothing but walking and scavenging. You know whats worse than padding a game lengthen it ? Stretching it without the padding. Atleast Padding gives you something. Also the story's primary narrative was cutscenes so its not hard to picture what the movie would be like.

#30 Edited by CrashNBurn281 (426 posts) -

@CrownKingArthur said:

again?

Ok, that got me.