Sony is DEFINITELY going to be back in the black!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Netherscourge (16328 posts) -

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-11-21/gamestop-says-2-3-million-customers-waiting-for-ps4.html

1 million PS4s already sold.

2.3 Million waiting for new shipments (from Gamestop alone!)

YOWZERS!

#2 Posted by Nengo_Flow (10097 posts) -

shut up...

#3 Edited by Netherscourge (16328 posts) -

@Nengo_Flow said:

shut up...

You forget to Pre-Order one?

If so, there's a LONG waiting list.

#4 Posted by hoosier7 (3907 posts) -

Makes sense, they're apparently selling the console at a profit, the games division was still making money despite the overhead of the R&D on the PS4 iirc (pretty unusual for a game company i think?) and they've got PS+ now. Biggest question mark is if they can match demand with production (fingers crossed since i've still not got a dispatch date on my preorder).

#5 Edited by shawn30 (4367 posts) -

@Netherscourge said:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-11-21/gamestop-says-2-3-million-customers-waiting-for-ps4.html

YOWZERS!

The gaming division, yeah. Looks good.

#6 Edited by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

Very healthy position to be in.

#7 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (8326 posts) -

Kinda like the Titanic............The had East bound tickets sold already when the ship set sail to New York.

Then.................well you know what happened next.

#8 Edited by waltefmoney (18030 posts) -

One successful product isn't gonna turn Sony around. Especially games consoles where even if you are making some profit it's gonna be laughably small.

#9 Edited by Netherscourge (16328 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Kinda like the Titanic............The had East bound tickets sold already when the ship set sail to New York.

Yea, James Cameron made a movie about it and made over $1 billion worldwide!

;)

#10 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (8326 posts) -

@Netherscourge said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Yea, James Cameron made a movie about it and made over $1 billion worldwide!

;)

Yeah that's one way to spin it. It could work out like that.

#11 Edited by Clock-w0rk (3238 posts) -

Holy fuck...

Banderas.gif

#12 Edited by blackace (21236 posts) -

@Netherscourge said:

YOWZERS!

They are already in the RED about $5 billion from the PS3. They have a long ways to go to get back into the black.

I wonder how many are waiting for XB1 at Gamestop. Guess we'll find out after then launch tonight.

The market is healthy right now. Both consoles would easily sell over 3 million by the end of the year if they are able to supply the consoles.

#13 Posted by AppleFan1991 (3201 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Well at least their probable CEO doesn't want to sell off the whole gaming division because it's hemorrhaging money

#14 Posted by Redick_is_Magic (1778 posts) -

n****s be hatin cause i got the playstation

i said the xbox sucks d***

but that was still their pick

#15 Posted by ocidax (768 posts) -

I think that the XBOX division is going to be in trouble. In the coming years. Yes. Save this post.

#16 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (8326 posts) -

@WadeFan said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Well at least their probable CEO doesn't want to sell off the whole gaming division because it's hemorrhaging money

Current events while tedious to keep up on...........do serve a purpose.

http://www.destructoid.com/bloomberg-sony-is-looking-to-sell-entertainment-division-254885.phtml

#17 Edited by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

All the idiots on here not knowing Sony themselves and their investors say they need more than just Playstation.

#18 Edited by Gue1 (10713 posts) -

@waltefmoney said:

One successful product isn't gonna turn Sony around. Especially games consoles where even if you are making some profit it's gonna be laughably small.

Kaz divided Sony into 3 pillars and PlayStation/Vita are one by itself. The other 2 are: digital content and electronics like PC, TV and cellphones in a single division. Sony are betting big on the PS4, so expect lots of exclusives games and updates.

#19 Posted by Heil68 (46164 posts) -

Good sales, but lets see how it and Xbone sell 6 months from now.

#20 Edited by blackace (21236 posts) -

@ocidax said:

I think that the XBOX division is going to be in trouble. In the coming years. Yes. Save this post.

Hhhmm.. the difference is M$ has money. They can buy their wait out of trouble. They don't need to be successful everywhere to make a profit. If they take North America, UK and Australia they will be fine. They aren't even thinking about Japan, I'm sure. If they need more games, they can buy exclusives or acquire better studios, just like Sony did.

#21 Posted by Netret0120 (2255 posts) -

That means it could possibly sell over 6 million units by March 2014 when it launches in Japan:-\

Wow the demand is crazy but well done Sony.

#22 Edited by RossRichard (2409 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

http://www.destructoid.com/bloomberg-sony-is-looking-to-sell-entertainment-division-254885.phtml

"This move would allow Sony to hunker down and focus on their electronics business....With the PlayStation 4 around the corner, it's probably a good time to be focusing on the electronics side of things. "

Way to not read the source you quoted. The Entertainment division is movies and music FYI. And they aren't looking at selling the entire division, just 20% of it.

And since you brought this topic up: http://www.gamefront.com/if-promoted-to-ceo-stephen-elop-might-sell-microsoft-xbox-division/

#23 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (5811 posts) -

@blackace: thats a big if. no way will m$ take uk, na or aus. sony got it on lock and they can forget about europe and japan

#24 Edited by clr84651 (5527 posts) -

PS4 will be the most sold console this gen and Sony will make a lot more from PSN. It's nice to get a lot of games for being a PSN subscriber.

#25 Posted by clr84651 (5527 posts) -

PS4 sold 1 million in NA alone first day. Now you have millions of more waiting to buy one ASAP. Looks like PS4 is taking off to a fast early lead and should never have to worry of 2nd place even being close.

#26 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (28223 posts) -

As Sony are probably losing money on each unit shipped I hardly think this is going to make a short term difference. And to get Sony into the black as a whole they'd need to be selling monstrous numbers of consoles and games. Unfortunately even if Sony regain market dominance this will just be a drop in the ocean of fixing their problems.

#27 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (28223 posts) -

@RossRichard said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

"This move would allow Sony to hunker down and focus on their electronics business....With the PlayStation 4 around the corner, it's probably a good time to be focusing on the electronics side of things. "

Way to not read the source you quoted. The Entertainment division is movies and music FYI. And they aren't looking at selling the entire division, just 20% of it.

And since you brought this topic up: http://www.gamefront.com/if-promoted-to-ceo-stephen-elop-might-sell-microsoft-xbox-division/

Really old news and comes from the investor in Sony who wanted to basically break it up and sell chunks in order to make ALOT of money short term. As far as I'm aware he's gone back into his hole.

#28 Posted by clr84651 (5527 posts) -

@blue_hazy_basic said:

As Sony are probably losing money on each unit shipped I hardly think this is going to make a short term difference. And to get Sony into the black as a whole they'd need to be selling monstrous numbers of consoles and games. Unfortunately even if Sony regain market dominance this will just be a drop in the ocean of fixing their problems.

It's a step in the right direction for the gaming division.

#29 Posted by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

More SDC. Looks like the PS4 is a monumental success thanks to MS' blunders and Nintendo failing hard with the wiiu. Good job Sony.

#30 Edited by good_sk8er7 (4322 posts) -

@RossRichard said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Nice :P

#31 Posted by Pikminmaniac (9204 posts) -

Could you imagine the sales if they actually had something worth getting in the first 3 months of launch? Crazy!

#32 Posted by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -

@clr84651 said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

It's a step in the right direction for the gaming division.

This early in the game it really doesnt mean much, what investors are looking for and whats good for the company is if they can significantly oversell their sales projections. Which is 3 million end of year 5 million end of march, march being the more important number as that number likely is projected based on demand and not supply constraints.

#33 Posted by xxgunslingerxx (4079 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@WadeFan said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

you must have a hard time reading.... i know life must have been tough for you in all your remedial classes :(

#34 Posted by PinkiePirate (2087 posts) -

It really looks like Sony is going to surpass their 5 million goal by the end of March. If this is just the US, imagine what the Europe launch is going to be like next week.

#35 Edited by AppleFan1991 (3201 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@WadeFan said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Instead of taking a picture of the misleading title. How about you read. This has nothing to do with the Playstation division. So my point still stands. Sony is and wants to keep Playstation. Microsoft doesn't want their XBOX division, or at least they are split on it because it's again, hemorrhaging money.

Entertainment division is not the Playstation/Gaming division. Reading is fundamental!

"Bloomberg reports that, according to people familiar with the matter, Sony is currently looking to break off at least some of its entertainment division and sell it. They're reportedly working with Morgan Stanley and Citigroup on a public offering in a move that could help them raise cash and boost their stock price. Third Point LLC CEO Daniel Loeb is pushing for Sony to sell up to 20 percent of the entertainment division.

This move would allow Sony to hunker down and focus on their electronics business. The Japanese company has been down, with Samsung winning in the TV space, and Apple dominating in the mobile/tablet market.

With the PlayStation 4 around the corner, it's probably a good time to be focusing on the electronics side of things. "

#36 Posted by lundy86_4 (43891 posts) -

From gen-to-gen it'll take a while. Though, it seems they are starting with a loss of $60 per console this gen, which is downright fantastic.

#37 Edited by chocolate1325 (32595 posts) -

I heard reports in an article thaat as many as 10 Million could be sold by the end of the year.

#38 Posted by AppleFan1991 (3201 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:

From gen-to-gen it'll take a while. Though, it seems they are starting with a loss of $60 per console this gen, which is downright fantastic.

NOT attacking you. Just curious, where have you heard $60? I've been reading anywhere from -20 to $20 per console. Again, I'm not attacking you or anything, I'm just curious because I am interested in what the numbers really are haha

#39 Posted by lundy86_4 (43891 posts) -

@chocolate1325 said:

I heard reports in an article thaat as many as 10 Million could be sold by the end of the year.

2013? I doubt it. 2014? Possibly.

#40 Posted by lundy86_4 (43891 posts) -

@WadeFan said:

@lundy86_4 said:

NOT attacking you. Just curious, where have you heard $60? I've been reading anywhere from -20 to $20 per console. Again, I'm not attacking you or anything, I'm just curious because I am interested in what the numbers really are haha

It's rumoured from Eurogamer sources. It was shot down, but that's natural. Linky.

Made up in PS+ subscriptions and the purchase of games.

-----

Yours could be accurate, for all we know.