Sony cuts 5000 jobs. Will sell off Vaio division.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by nyzma23 (887 posts) -

The company says it's no longer designing and developing PC products, while manufacturing and sales will wrap up after the company's final VAIO range goes on sale globally. It has decided to focus on those post-PC products (yep, smartphones and tablets), meaning that it had to make some big decisions with less successful parts of the business. During Q3 2013, Sony saw year-on-year sales increases from its mobile arm, but still forecasts an annual loss of around $1.1 billion (110 billion yen) for the full year: it had previously projected a 30 billion yen profit. The blame is leveled at the businesses its now looking to change. Other highlights include the PS4, which sold 4.2 million units and 9.7 million games in its first six weeks. The games arm also saw a "dramatic increase" in PlayStation Plus subscriptions -- something that's mandatory for multiplayer on the company's new console.

link

woop that's major news so sony decides to sell it's pc and make tv business a standalone company after losing $1.1 billion annually ,so where is that SDC thing now ?

#2 Posted by gago-gago (9111 posts) -

This is pretty nuts and just shows Sony can and will sell off any branch off their company if it's bleeding money. When I think of a Sony computer I think of VAIO. I don't even know if they make other brands. When I think of Sony gaming, I think of Playstation. If the Playstation brand doesn't do as good too, will it be next? I mean the Vita is pretty much dead. PS3 really put them behind but the PS4 kinda gave them a second chance but we'll see. It's just a scary thought they could drop a well known Sony brand like VAIO like that. I hope the Playstation brand succeeds.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/6/5385212/sony-sells-off-vaio-pc-division

#3 Posted by lostrib (31476 posts) -

...and what does this have to do with system wars?

#4 Posted by Consternated (481 posts) -

This is pretty nuts and just shows Sony can and will sell off any branch off their company if it's bleeding money. When I think of a Sony computer I think of VAIO. I don't even know if they make other brands. When I think of Sony gaming, I think of Playstation. If the Playstation brand doesn't do as good too, will it be next? I mean the Vita is pretty much dead. PS3 really put them behind but the PS4 kinda gave them a second chance but we'll see. It's just a scary thought they could drop a well known Sony brand like VAIO like that. I hope the Playstation brand succeeds.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/6/5385212/sony-sells-off-vaio-pc-division

Sony will keep ahold of PlayStation as the PS4 seems to be doing fantastic right now.

However, I must admit... I wouldn't the PlayStation division being sold to someone like Google. Imagine - PSN with real servers!

#5 Posted by megaspiderweb09 (3665 posts) -

@lostrib: That is actually a legititmate question, TC should explain to us how this has to do with system wars

#6 Posted by Couth_ (9916 posts) -

Good move... Vaio hasn't been relevant in eons

#7 Edited by nyzma23 (887 posts) -

@lostrib said:

...and what does this have to do with system wars?

well it's sony sdc thing like cows always tell if sony can sell their root bussiness easily how long do you think for sony to cut down playstation budget if it doesn't payoff

#8 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8403 posts) -

This is good news that Sony going to get rid of divisions that are money drains and completely irrelevant to systems wars. Not good that people are losing their jobs...

#9 Posted by lostrib (31476 posts) -

@nyzma23 said:

@lostrib said:

...and what does this have to do with system wars?

well it's sony sdc thing like cows always tell if sony can sell their root bussiness easily how long do you think for sony to cut down playstation budget if it doesn't payoff

sooo nothing. got it

#10 Edited by gago-gago (9111 posts) -

Maybe now they can use the money gained to get back in making bigger budget Sony games instead of investing at Indy games and streaming games. The Vita lives to see another day though.

#11 Edited by Alcapello (507 posts) -

It sounds to me like the playstation name could potentially be moving into the PC side of things potentially or indirectly?

#12 Edited by Alcapello (507 posts) -

@lostrib said:

...and what does this have to do with system wars?

Sony is 50% of SW, while microsoft and nintendo take 25% each respectively so I would so it is about 75% more important than most of the other topic about xboners new kinext games.

#13 Posted by finalstar2007 (24853 posts) -

Sony is a multi million dollar company that does a loot of stuff far bigger than gaming and while the gaming division is an extremely small part at Sony its profitable division so Sony will never even think about selling it ( even though the article speaks only about the PC division and no mention of gaming TC had to include gaming in it lmfao ).

PC and TV division are both one of the big reasons for Sony's losses so selling them would be a good idea i mean if you have an item that keeps giving you loses wouldn't you wanna sell it? that's what Sony is probably considering to do but at the same time its a very bad thing for those who are working in these divisions a lot of people will lose their jobs which is truly sad.

#14 Posted by zeeshanhaider (2207 posts) -

It begins..........Gaming is soon to be rid of the cancer called consoles.

#15 Posted by getyeryayasout (6876 posts) -

5,000 jobs?! What games were they developing?

#16 Posted by finalstar2007 (24853 posts) -

5,000 jobs?! What games were they developing?

PC division does not develop any video games, this has nothing to do with gaming at all.

#17 Edited by getyeryayasout (6876 posts) -

@getyeryayasout said:

5,000 jobs?! What games were they developing?

PC division does not develop any video games, this has nothing to do with gaming at all.

Exactly.

#18 Posted by remiks00 (1533 posts) -

Viaos are terrible laptops that were overpriced anyway. Good riddance. Now they should focus on their strengths more.

#19 Edited by ronvalencia (15109 posts) -

@nyzma23 said:

The company says it's no longer designing and developing PC products, while manufacturing and sales will wrap up after the company's final VAIO range goes on sale globally. It has decided to focus on those post-PC products (yep, smartphones and tablets), meaning that it had to make some big decisions with less successful parts of the business. During Q3 2013, Sony saw year-on-year sales increases from its mobile arm, but still forecasts an annual loss of around $1.1 billion (110 billion yen) for the full year: it had previously projected a 30 billion yen profit. The blame is leveled at the businesses its now looking to change. Other highlights include the PS4, which sold 4.2 million units and 9.7 million games in its first six weeks. The games arm also saw a "dramatic increase" in PlayStation Plus subscriptions -- something that's mandatory for multiplayer on the company's new console.

link

woop that's major news so sony dicide to sell it's pc and make tv bussiness a standalone company after losing $1.1 billion annualy ,so where is that SDC thing now ?

For 1:1 replacement with my slim gaming laptop i.e. Sony Vaio VGN-FW45 laptop, I have replace it with Samsung's ATIV Book 8.

The problem with Sony is the Samsung factor which is dominant in the Android smart phone and HDTV markets.

#20 Posted by TheShensolidus (224 posts) -

This is legitimately fantastic news for Sony - both of these groups were albatrosses around Sony's economic neck. Kaz cut them exactly when he needed to, and the transition to a media delivery company is going quite smoothly.

#21 Posted by DefconRave (547 posts) -

Can't compete with the cheaper chinese/Taiwanese brands. Lenovo and Asus are the go to brands for laptops/Tablets in my country. Got a Asus Nexus 7 myself.

#22 Edited by Scipio8 (608 posts) -

I think we are witnessing the beginning of the end of Sony. Soon its mobile and PlayStation businesses will also be spun out. I can't see the PlayStation brand surviving if this happens. Sorry cows, greatness awaits indeed LOL

#23 Edited by R3FURBISHED (10021 posts) -

They're trimming fat, just what they need to do.

#24 Posted by AppleFan1991 (3022 posts) -

Already a thread on this.