Sony closing 20 stores in US: Restructuring

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Edited by ghostwarrior786 (5075 posts) -

needed to do this long time ago. i think kaz is making good moves, he needs to trim the fat from the company and focus on stuff that makes them money. and to lems that think playstation is in trouble i will say this, playstation is probably the only branch that make them money. they will kill everything else before they let go of playstation, best believe that

#52 Posted by lazerface216 (7519 posts) -

retail electronic stores are going the way of the dinosaur, so this is not surprising. sad to see people lose their jobs though.

#53 Posted by Scipio8 (660 posts) -

So Microsoft are opening stores while Sony are closing them, its only inevitable.

#54 Posted by XenogearsMaster (3104 posts) -

I've been to a few Sony stores and they are usually located in a big mall and seriously, it's like a ghost town in there. No one is there, and the people who are in there are just browsing. The Apple store, however, is always packed which is kind of ridiculous. Sorry to say but Sony should just eliminate all of them.

#55 Edited by Szminsky (1433 posts) -

I feel really bad for the people losing their jobs. Not good at all.

#56 Edited by dobzilian (2490 posts) -

How many pies do Sony now have pies in? Movies, music, Games....

Is their gaming department really successful or is it figment of Cows imagination? Curious rather than being Fanboyish.

#57 Posted by tubbyc (3773 posts) -
@XenogearsMaster said:

I've been to a few Sony stores and they are usually located in a big mall and seriously, it's like a ghost town in there. No one is there, and the people who are in there are just browsing. The Apple store, however, is always packed which is kind of ridiculous. Sorry to say but Sony should just eliminate all of them.

I went into an empty Sony store once to get a pair of their 3D glasses. They were way more expensive than I could get off ebay, brand new. I mentioned it to the staff once I found out the price at the counter, and walked out. Felt a bit bad, but oh well, it would have been silly to pay a lot more when I didn't need to.

Sony are doing what they feel they need to. At least the PS4 looks like it will be very profitable.

#58 Posted by Animal-Mother (26962 posts) -

@dobzilian said:

Is their gaming department really successful or is it figment of Cows imagination? Curious rather than being Fanboyish.

Well it's been stated the gaming division has made a profit primarily due to the PS4. Only time will tell if it keeps going./

#59 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (9486 posts) -

I've personally only seen 1 Sony store and 1 Microsoft store. I really really don't see why a company like Sony even needs it's own store. You don't see companies like LG or Samsung sprouting store.

#60 Posted by lhughey (4243 posts) -

@Animal-Mother said:

@dobzilian said:

Well it's been stated the gaming division has made a profit primarily due to the PS4. Only time will tell if it keeps going./

I doubt the PS4 has made any money. R&D costs are huge for a new console. If their gaming division has made money, its because of the PS3.

#61 Posted by Animal-Mother (26962 posts) -

@lhughey said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@dobzilian said:

I doubt the PS4 has made any money. R&D costs are huge for a new console. If their gaming division has made money, its because of the PS3.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/210159/PS4_launch_helps_Sonys_PlayStation_business_swing_to_profits.php

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/06/strong-ps4-sales-boost-sony-game-division-profit .....

#62 Edited by Riverwolf007 (23865 posts) -

wait.

that was a sony store i was in?

i thought it was a cobwebs and dust factory outlet.

#63 Posted by Bishop1310 (1109 posts) -

What resolution are the stores closing at? most important.

#64 Edited by sailor232 (4835 posts) -

I love the Sony store that is close to me, the people working there are so good. I bought a pair of 3d glasses half price because they didn't have the cheaper ones in store. Always some impressive tech in that store as well.

#65 Posted by resevl4rlz (3279 posts) -

Sony stores are way over priced, and run by arabic people

#66 Posted by Suppaman100 (3947 posts) -

LOL, look at all of these lemmings coming out of the woodwork.

These are necessary steps to make the company healthy again.

#67 Edited by sts106mat (19857 posts) -

Meanwhile over in Conneticut

http://majornelson.com/2014/02/25/join-me-in-connecticut-to-open-the-new-microsoft-store/

#68 Edited by airshocker (29932 posts) -

Good news.

#69 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (7430 posts) -

Next up. Sony to close headquarters.

#70 Posted by millerlight89 (18571 posts) -

We get it Foxbat, you're a fanboy. You love MS, hate Sony. You don't have to keep making lame jokes to prove it.

#71 Posted by heretrix (37440 posts) -

@Puggy301 said:

I absolutely do not like seeing people lose their jobs, but is it really necessary for a company like Sony to even have a brick and mortar presence anywhere to sell their products?

It's always good to have a physical presence to showcase your products. even though I didn't buy my Bravia from the Sony store it was pretty cool going there to see what it actually looked like in a living room.

#72 Posted by Rage010101 (5470 posts) -

This honestly does sound like a company that is slowly going out of business.

#73 Posted by Rage010101 (5470 posts) -

Closing stores, closing studios, selling off branches/departments, cancelling games, laying off over 6000 people including Santa Monica devs, selling real estate. Sounds like a sinking ship man.

#75 Edited by Stringerboy (7093 posts) -

#SDC

#76 Posted by hoyalawya (342 posts) -

I live in Northern Virginia and have been to the Tysons Mall hundreds of times. I stepped into the Sony store there less than 5 times and never bought anything. The prices in the store were too high. The same things could be bought at Best Buy for a lot cheaper. The store was only as an exhibition to tell the Sony story.

#77 Posted by edwardecl (2239 posts) -

I never understood the point of a Sony shop, people usually want to compare stuff, how can you do that when only one brand is sold.

#78 Posted by kuu2 (7375 posts) -

@l34052 said:

@kuu2 said:

I actually like the classes that MSoft offers at their stores and they will help trouble shoot PCs and tablets even if you didn't buy them there. Plus if you do buy a large electronic device from there they have some of the most affordable warranties around. It is a direct ripoff from Apple but I like having one in my city.

You seem to have a MS dick shoved so far up your ass im surprised u can even still speak. Ive never once heard anything but pro MS/anti Sony bullshit spit from your lips its very tiring putting up with the blind dogmatic shit from fools like yourself.

My advice would be to actually go outside for once and interact with the real world and discover there's more to the world than games consoles.

Sigh.......the anger towards someone telling others what they like about something..............

Brighten up young sir life is to short ;p

#79 Posted by Rage010101 (5470 posts) -

@l34052 said:

@kuu2 said:

I actually like the classes that MSoft offers at their stores and they will help trouble shoot PCs and tablets even if you didn't buy them there. Plus if you do buy a large electronic device from there they have some of the most affordable warranties around. It is a direct ripoff from Apple but I like having one in my city.

You seem to have a MS dick shoved so far up your ass im surprised u can even still speak. Ive never once heard anything but pro MS/anti Sony bullshit spit from your lips its very tiring putting up with the blind dogmatic shit from fools like yourself.

My advice would be to actually go outside for once and interact with the real world and discover there's more to the world than games consoles.

I think you really need to calm dafuk down son. Your butthurt has peaked today.

#80 Posted by musicalmac (23036 posts) -

The only time I saw a Sony store was at a Chicagoland mall, and it was placed next to a Bose company store. I also recall the Sony store closing.

#81 Posted by lhughey (4243 posts) -

I hate the fact that people are losing their jobs, but I always felt that the stores where there to showcase their products rather than actually sell them. The prices were outrageous. Ironically, the extremely high price of gear in the store stopped people from even coming into the store. So the failure was twofold: The store wasn't a company showcase and they customer didn't purchase anything.

#82 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27891 posts) -

@Rage010101 said:

The brick and mortar stores are pointless. Other than displaying really fancy and elaborate set ups whats the point? Seems like a good move IMO

#83 Posted by EZs (1362 posts) -

Oh noooo... Sony is doomed!

#84 Posted by dommeus (9379 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@kuu2 said:

There should be a sticky for Sony's bad financial news that will be going all month long up until their fiscal report comes out in April. I don't think we have gone a week without there being some sort of bad financial news for this company.

I just wonder what will happen to the PauperStation brand? They need to stay around so MSoft is kept honest but I really can't think of a company that would want the brand really.

And we don't have a day go by without more terrible news about Xbox.

Making stickies for both of these topics would be for the benefit of the forum, so obviously is isn't going to happen

#85 Posted by kuu2 (7375 posts) -

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@Rage010101 said:

The brick and mortar stores are pointless. Other than displaying really fancy and elaborate set ups whats the point? Seems like a good move IMO

The ones that provide superior service will never go away. I will pay more if you give me a reason to. Nordstrom, and Apple are perfect examples of this.

The people in the Sony store rarely knew anything about the products that were there. They typically didn't own any of them i.e. Sony phones, Sony audio equip, or TVs. The one thing they did own was the Playstation which is a commodity purchase which everyone knew about. The stores were really a relic of when Sony was actually innovative.

#86 Edited by Rage010101 (5470 posts) -

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@Rage010101 said:

Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with what they're doing. In fact, I think it's a necessary step to try and recover. I'm just saying these are the phases you see a company go through before they go out of business. Add in all the other bad things that have been happening to Sony recently, it's hard not to think that the company has a doomed fate.

#87 Edited by ominous_titan (733 posts) -

So restructuring us cowspeak for failing,gotcha

#88 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (8774 posts) -

Sony stores are located in Outlet malls. You can buy all Sony products, new and refurbished. It isn't anything special unless you really like Sony products as a whole.

#89 Posted by EducatingU_PCMR (739 posts) -

Sony's going bankrupt in a couple of years.

Same as Xbox division. Leaving only Nintendo (lol Nintendo) in the videogame market. We know how that will work.

Everyone will be gaming on PC by then.

#90 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151511 posts) -

Sony Store? Obviously not a major part of the company since none exist anywhere I've ever been. Business today....the economy sucks.

#91 Posted by AM-Gamer (4046 posts) -

@DaBrainz: Sorry but Samsung sucks, Sony tv's repeatedly beat them year after year in picture quality in led vs led. Samsung is great if you want stupid gimmicks and a cheap price.

#92 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@AM-Gamer said:

@DaBrainz: Sorry but Samsung sucks, Sony tv's repeatedly beat them year after year in picture quality in led vs led. Samsung is great if you want stupid gimmicks and a cheap price.

I hope you don't really believe the shit you are spewing and are just attempting to troll.

#93 Posted by Karnage108 (2414 posts) -

@Chutebox said:

Smart move, but sucks for those working, obviously.

Brick and mortar can suck it!

This, it isn't necessarily a bad move at all. The online market is a more efficient source of income as opposed to the stores they closed where they have overhead to worry about and inventory sitting around. A lot of businesses are doing this...

#95 Edited by gago-gago (9542 posts) -

I've seen Sony stores at outlets while Microsoft and Apple stores are in shopping malls. Microsoft and Apple stores are more consumer friendly while Sony stores seems to be just an Sony branded electronic store. Maybe since they sold the Vaio brand, Sony stores closing is one outcome, a domino effect.

#96 Posted by TwistedShade (3165 posts) -

Wonder why they're reducing their stores, I could have sworn last year they were planning to expand them.

#97 Posted by TheEroica (13726 posts) -

Ahhhhhh damn! I live an hour from the Wrentham store. :( it's a great store. Their refurbbed headphones are so cheap. I'm sad to see this go. :( I mean I get Iguess... It makes no sense to have the store, but now iit's a "one less store I get to go to while the Ole balls and chain is spending my money shopping" situation.

#98 Edited by AM-Gamer (4046 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@AM-Gamer said:

I hope you don't really believe the shit you are spewing and are just attempting to troll.

Try pulling your head out of your ass and doing a little research. Sony has beat Samsung in LED Picture quality for years . And Panasonic has beat Samsung in Plasmas for years. In other words Samsung has never been the best when it comes to TV's in any category. They sell the most because they are able to dominate on the low to mid ranged tv's which is about what 90% of the public buy. But to sit there and stay there shit is better is just plain laughable.

#99 Posted by AM-Gamer (4046 posts) -

@sts106mat said:

Meanwhile over in Conneticut

http://majornelson.com/2014/02/25/join-me-in-connecticut-to-open-the-new-microsoft-store/

To bad they got a new CEO that wants to sell that division.

#100 Posted by l34052 (3216 posts) -

@AM-Gamer said:

But then if you were serious about picture quality you'd buy a plasma anyways and sony doesnt make any.