Sony closing 20 stores in US: Restructuring

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

http://www.twice.com/articletype/news/sony-us-restructures-will-close-20-stores/110107

San Diego — Sony Electronics is restructuring “to maintain its competitiveness in an evolving consumer electronics market” in the U.S., and as part of the effort it will shut 20 of its stores.

Sony Electronics confirmed in a statement a total staff reduction of one-third by the end of the calendar year, affecting approximately 1,000 employees across all sites. “In addition, in an effort to further streamline costs and continue focus on existing partner relations, Sony announced the closure of 20 U.S. Sony Stores,” the company said.

Sony said the restructuring is “in line with Sony Corporation’s Feb. 6 earnings announcement outlining an estimated headcount reduction of roughly 5,000 employees globally.”

“While these moves were extremely tough, they were absolutely necessary to position us in the best possible place for future growth,” said Mike Fasulo, president and COO of Sony Electronics, in a statement. “I am entirely confident in our ability to turn the business around, in achieving our preferred future, and continue building on our flawless commitment to customer loyalty through the complete entertainment experience only Sony can offer.”

Sony said in its statement it “continues to drive its industry leadership in premium products across all of CE, including all-things 4K, and further plans to reinforce its market leadership through strengthening its 4K product lineup and bolstering 2K models in 2014, with a continued commitment to the future success of its U.S. television business.”

Sony said it “will place an increased focus on its premium products — including its digital imaging line, high-resolution audio and full suite of professional solutions — while leveraging its strengths in hardware, content and gaming.”

Twenty stores in the U.S. are closing: Tysons, Va.; University Village, Wash.; Galleria Dallas, Texas; Forum Shops, Nev.; Pentagon, Va.; Boca Raton, Fla.; Menlo Park, N.J.; Las Americas, Calif.; Camarillo, Calif.; Aurora, Ill.; Gilroy, Calif.; Central Valley, N.Y.; Wrentham, Mass.; Pleasant Prairie, Wis.; San Marcos, Texas; Cherry Creek, Colo.; Dolphin, Fla.; Century City, Calif.; Valley Fair, Calif.; and Comcast, Pa.

Eleven stores remain open, including its New York City flagship store and its SPE store at the Culver City, Calif., studios.

Sony operated 44 retail stores at the chain’s peak in 2008, excluding outlets, and was the 20th largest CE retailer in 2012, according to TWICE’s Top 100 rankings. Sales totaled $829 million, down 7 percent from the prior year, as the company began closing locations.

Sony did not provide further details on other organizational changes regarding this announcement.

People losing their jobs suck, but to keep the company going tough decisions have to be made. Still sad though. Sony is in deep trouble, but they are making moves to get out of it.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

Never heard of a Sony store. The only reason I look at Sony stuff is to confirm how much better Samsung stuff is.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Lots of companies are doing this.

noodlevixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 noodlevixen
Member since 2010 • 480 Posts

There are Sony stores? Wtf

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 shawn30

@clyde46 said:

Yeah, its the sign of the times, but not everyone is in as bad a shape as Sony is. Still a sad thing and never mind my thoughts on the PS4, I hope they can turn things around before more people lose their jobs. There's no fanboyism in 5000 jobs lost. That's terrible.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

Sony had stores in US? Wow! They must not be where I live because where I live not many people are tech savy and only care about beer and cardinals baseball. In fact, in the city where I live, we got our first Microsoft store in the area this year lol.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50545 Posts

Smart move, but sucks for those working, obviously.

Brick and mortar can suck it!

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Tough times for everybody. Thanks Obama.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

Sony stores I've been to aren't anything special. They seem to exist to create more exposure than to actually make money by themselves, and they don't constantly give away shit like the MS stores do.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12060 Posts

There should be a sticky for Sony's bad financial news that will be going all month long up until their fiscal report comes out in April. I don't think we have gone a week without there being some sort of bad financial news for this company.

I just wonder what will happen to the PauperStation brand? They need to stay around so MSoft is kept honest but I really can't think of a company that would want the brand really.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5859 Posts

isn't Microsoft opening more stores.

Just saying

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@shawn30 said:

@clyde46 said:

Yeah, its the sign of the times, but not everyone is in as bad a shape as Sony is. Still a sad thing and never mind my thoughts on the PS4, I hope they can turn things around before more people lose their jobs. There's no fanboyism in 5000 jobs lost. That's terrible.

Sony are finally adjusting to the times. Its hurting but that is what a big company has to do to stay competitive.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@kuu2 said:

There should be a sticky for Sony's bad financial news that will be going all month long up until their fiscal report comes out in April. I don't think we have gone a week without there being some sort of bad financial news for this company.

I just wonder what will happen to the PauperStation brand? They need to stay around so MSoft is kept honest but I really can't think of a company that would want the brand really.

And we don't have a day go by without more terrible news about Xbox.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

They closed one last year in the Outlet Mall by me. So that number is higher than the 20 that are planned for closure.

Sony doing a good job of hiding the facts of doom from investors will soon catch up to them.

Loosing games to cancelations and delays, first party studios laying off people, selling buildings, closing retail locations all point to the writing on the wall. "Going out of business".

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FoxbatAlpha

@kuu2 said:

I wonder how this will impact FogFamous: Son of no Shadows? Or what about Gears of Order: 1886-2006?

I just had to.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kuu2

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@kuu2 said:

Yep lots of rumors about MSoft no doubt, but actual facts about Sony...........

Elop rumor of being CEO

Gears rumor of coming to the PauperStation4

Amazon rumor of purchasing the Xbox brand

Lots of rumors.......

Meanwhile in Sony Land, the ship is sinking, the deck chairs are being rearranged, people are being fired, employees are leaving in droves, and games are getting canned.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@kuu2 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@kuu2 said:

Elop rumor of being CEO

Lots of rumors.......

Meanwhile in Sony Land, the ship is sinking, the deck chairs are being rearranged, people are being fired, employees are leaving in droves, and games are getting canned.

I think that might just be selective reading on your part.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#18 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@shawn30 said:

@clyde46 said:

I agree. These are tough times for this company. And its sad to see people lose their income. I buy PS consoles and will do my part based on what I like to experience in gaming.

billing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 billing
Member since 2004 • 642 Posts

@clyde46 said:

There's a lot of companies doing bad.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

obama is the president of japan?

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ReadingRainbow4

@KBFloYd said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

It's called a domino effect. Sony's also a worldwide company, they aren't just based in japan.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FoxbatAlpha

Here is some more Red Light sales going on at Sony. Just released.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/feb/26/Sony-layoffs-Vaio-Sony-Style-Stores/

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FoxbatAlpha

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@KBFloYd said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

It's called a domino effect. Sony's also a worldwide company, they aren't just based in japan.

You be nice when you own Princess Peach!!!

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By kuu2

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@kuu2 said:

I wonder how this will impact FogFamous: Son of no Shadows? Or what about Gears of Order: 1886-2006?

I just had to.

Awesome!!!!

The funny thing is most Cows have no sense of humor about anything PauperStation negative so it will be lost on them. They will probably get angry.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Here is some more Red Light sales going on at Sony. Just released.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/feb/26/Sony-layoffs-Vaio-Sony-Style-Stores/

Removal of the Vaio brand is not new at all. It's kind of common sense it would result in job losses.

cantloginnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By cantloginnow
Member since 2013 • 381 Posts

Goodbye Sony.The PS4 is screwed too when the hype dies down,people realize there's no games and 1080p is a fancy way for Sony to hype High res turds.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

.....but...sheens you said Sony never fires anyone, never cancels games, never sells ip's, and never closers studios and or stores...

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kuu2
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@kuu2 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@kuu2 said:

Elop rumor of being CEO

Lots of rumors.......

I think that might just be selective reading on your part.

Or, we just differ on what would be terrible news.........

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@kuu2 said:

Of course you cows think "bad" news for the XOne is something like a price drop. So yeah keep that XOne "bad" news coming.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Both the Sony and Microsoft stores just seem like a waste of space

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ReadingRainbow4

@lostrib said:

Yeah I feel the same way, I never visit any of them, even apple although I'm sure the apple stores do well based on Trend setting alone.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kuu2

@lostrib said:

I actually like the classes that MSoft offers at their stores and they will help trouble shoot PCs and tablets even if you didn't buy them there. Plus if you do buy a large electronic device from there they have some of the most affordable warranties around. It is a direct ripoff from Apple but I like having one in my city.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34  Edited By Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@shawn30 said:

@clyde46 said:

Everyone has been saying sony is in terrible shape since 08.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/06/strong-ps4-sales-boost-sony-game-division-profit

http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/articles/641919-successful-ps4-launch-sees-sonys-gaming-profits-rise-by-64

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/02/06/first-take-on-sony-earnings-not-all-bad/

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 kuu2

@Desmonic said:

Well, they only sell phones/tablets and consoles now, right? They've let go of PC's, TV and whatnot. Hardly seems worth the cost to maintain dedicated stores. Heck, didn't even seem worth the cost before to be honest.

Hopefully those guys and gals losing their jobs will find something soon enough. That is always a bad thing, no matter who it is.

Very good point. If half of your products are no longer there especially high dollar/margin ones no need for a retail location. Plus the trend of going into a store to purchase electronics in small form factor is pretty much over.

Puggy301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36  Edited By Puggy301
Member since 2003 • 202 Posts

I absolutely do not like seeing people lose their jobs, but is it really necessary for a company like Sony to even have a brick and mortar presence anywhere to sell their products?

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Sad, I liked the Century city location too :(

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts

They (were) not as bad as Microsoft stores though, and were easier to find. Now it's the other way around.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@KBFloYd said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

You be nice when you own Princess Peach!!!

ha

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 shawn30

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@kuu2 said:

I just had to.

Infamous just seems like a forgotten game, sadly. Even Cows don't talk about it unless a new screenshot is revealed. The ORDER OF Gears: War in 1886 is an interesting title though:)

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@shawn30: OUCH!!! Sony is seriously downsizing this year. Let's see what has happened so far this year.

1. Sony sells their PC/Laptop division to JIP and lays off 5000 workers. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-selling-pc-business-reforming-tv-unit-and-laying-off-5-000-people/1100-6417558/

2. Sony restructuring HDTV Division. Spins it off into a seperate business. http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/06/us-sony-results-idUSBREA150AK20140206

3. Sony lays off developers at Santa Monica Studios - http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-02-25-layoffs-at-sony-santa-monica

4. Now Sony is closing 20 Sony Stores and laying off another 1000 employees. - http://www.twice.com/articletype/news/sony-us-restructures-will-close-20-stores/110107

This doesn't even include last years selling of 2 HQ buildings and selling $300+ in company stocks. Sony must be seriously hurting for money if they are making all these large cuts and layoffs. Can Kaz save them before the year is over?

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

Closing stores,closing studios,selling buildings...interesting times for sony.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@noodlevixen said:

There are Sony stores? Wtf

LMAO!! There are APPLE and MICROSOFT stores as well. You didn't know this?

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Well, hey, when you can't talk about gaming I guess a thread bagging retail stores will do. Good job!

mario-galaxys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mario-galaxys
Member since 2011 • 574 Posts

What does this has to do with System Wars?

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

I never knew Sony had any stores. Never seen one, so nothing changes for me.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

Sony stores I've been to aren't anything special. They seem to exist to create more exposure than to actually make money by themselves, and they don't constantly give away shit like the MS stores do.

They had some cool setups in the one I went to except for the plum guy working there who insisted that wireless speakers were impossible.

TBH dedicated stores seem a bit pointless.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

The good news just keeps rolling in for SONY. Kaz is a man on a mission...the by gamers for gamers mission since GAMEs are a PILLAR of SONY.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Ouch, looks like Sony is trying to put out the fire with gas. IDK if they can recover from this.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 shawn30
@Animal-Mother said:

@shawn30 said:

@clyde46 said:

Everyone has been saying sony is in terrible shape since 08.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/06/strong-ps4-sales-boost-sony-game-division-profit

http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/articles/641919-successful-ps4-launch-sees-sonys-gaming-profits-rise-by-64

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/02/06/first-take-on-sony-earnings-not-all-bad/

Only goes to show how long they've been bleeding before they finally stepped in to do drastic measures. There's a reason a number of financial analysts think Sony could possibly go bankrupt in 2 years. Its not lemmings making this shit up, lol. They are in very bad shape. We'll know in a year if they can turn it around. Sad though for over 5000 people losing their jobs.