Sony Blamed for Nintendo’s Inability To Secure Third Party Games

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Edited 7 months, 28 days ago

Poll: Sony Blamed for Nintendo’s Inability To Secure Third Party Games (86 votes)

Sony stole Nintendo games. Nintendo Haven't Done Anything Wrong. (Sony fault) 9%
Nintendo failed with the Wii U and it's their own fault. (Nintendo fault) 90%

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/01/22/sony-blamed-for-nintendos-inability-to-secure-third-party-games/

The Japanese investment and market analysis firm ACE Securities released a report on Nintendo’s recent substantial reduction of the earning forecasts for the current fiscal year, andthe document includes some information on what the company expects from the Corporate Management Policy Briefing that will be held by Satoru Iwata on January 30th.

In the Corporate Management Policy Briefing on January 30th the company is going to describe the future business policy:

1: Dealing with content development risks due to the consecutive failure to launch with high performance the 3DS and the Wii U.

2: Response to the problem of the inability to secure third party titles caused by SCE (Sony Computer Entertainment) investing heavily in the marketing cost of multiplatform software.

3: Due to the soaring development costs of home consoles making difficult to ensure profitability, we hope to hear an answer on the building of a new business model.

It may seem a bit surprising to see Sony blamed for Nintendo’s struggle in securing third party titles for its consoles. I’m assuming the analyst who wrote the report is thinking about the Wii U and not about the 3DS here, because otherwise he’s overlooking one big name: Monster Hunter.

That said, we can definitely say that many keen eyes will be watching the briefing on the 30th. We’ll have to wait for that date to know whether Nintendo will steer its business policies around radically, or will keep marching straight on the same path.

In short: Nintendo blames Sony for stealing Third Party games.

First Nintendo said that it´s against their culture to make online gaming and more powerful console. Also they said 3rd party does not matter because 1 exclusive game can make Wii U sell crazy like Wii.

Now when Nintendo is losing money and flopped, now Nintendo blames Sony for stealing their games.

Whose fault is that? Sony is too smart, or Nintendo too stupid?

#1 Posted by Netret0120 (2032 posts) -

Nintendo were stupid all the way from the N64 days.

Sony wanted to build a CD-add on for it and Nintendo said no and the Playstation was born.

Nintendo have themselves to blame. They made one of the biggest mistakes in gaming history

#2 Edited by shawn30 (4364 posts) -

The Wii-U is a hardware mistake, period. It simply isn't powerful enough to keep up with the PS4 and Xbox One and doesn't even eclipse the visuals, but more importantly the online multiplayer infrastructure of the 7 year old PS3 and 360. It is a failure and the only course is to create a new system that is future proof and affordable as possible, invest in their online multiplayer infrastructure, and secure third party support or simply become third party themselves. Stay in the handheld market though, but if they were third party I'd buy a new Mario, Zelda, and Metroid for the One in a heartbeat.

#3 Edited by RossRichard (2337 posts) -

Nintendo always had draconian ways of dealing with third parties, but they put up with it for so long because Nintendo was basically the only game in town. Once good alternatives came out, they happily jumped ship. The problems Nintendo are facing are 100% their fault, and a LONG time coming.

#4 Edited by Ghost120x (3738 posts) -

I don't think Sony stole anything. If anything third party is fickle and will jump anywhere where they can find a dollar. If mobile continues to grow they will all jump ship.

All Sony did was make their console with a great ecosystem for third party games to be successful and profitable.

#5 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26272 posts) -

@Netret0120 said:

Sony wanted to build a CD-add on for it and Nintendo said no and the Playstation was born.

Nintendo have themselves to blame. They made one of the biggest mistakes in gaming history.

Do you even know why Hiroshi Yamauchi blew Sony off like that? Sony tried to manufacture and sell CD's, even from Nintendo's own IP's WITHOUT their permission. Sony was no "good guy" in that situation either.

Since that, if Nintendo and Sony won't work together then, they won't do it now or any time in the future. They are no safer with Microsoft (especially since they'd take Donkey Kong Country due to one developer they own).

It was for the better Nintendo and Sony split like they did.

#6 Posted by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

Nintendo's problems are Nintendo's doing.

#7 Posted by Desmonic (13417 posts) -

lolwut? Dafuq Sony has to do with the blunder that is the WiiU? Ninty only have themselves to blame there...

...unless the PS4's apparent success is to blame for the WiiUs apparent failure... lol

#8 Edited by DerekLoffin (8755 posts) -

@Netret0120 said:

Nintendo have themselves to blame. They made one of the biggest mistakes in gaming history.

Do you even know why Hiroshi Yamauchi blew Sony off like that? Sony tried to manufacture and sell CD's, even from Nintendo's own IP's WITHOUT their permission. Sony was no "good guy" in that situation.

So instead they went to philips... and let them use Nintendo's IPs and sell them... yeah, it was still stupid mistake.

#9 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26272 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Netret0120 said:

Do you even know why Hiroshi Yamauchi blew Sony off like that? Sony tried to manufacture and sell CD's, even from Nintendo's own IP's WITHOUT their permission. Sony was no "good guy" in that situation.

So instead they went to philips... and let them use Nintendo's IPs and sell them... yeah, it was still stupid mistake.

At least Phillips, as horrible as their Mario and Zelda games were, had permission. Sony tried to more or less take Nintendo's money from a potential Mario/Zelda/Metroid (can't say Pokemon because that didn't come until a few years later and dethrone Metroid's spot on the Triforce) game they developed.

#10 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (2728 posts) -

Good old Nintendo better step their game up cause excuses are like bung holes everybody got one.

#11 Edited by freedomfreak (39164 posts) -

Yeah, okay, Nintendo.

#12 Posted by Shewgenja (8465 posts) -

Sony is ponying up cash to get games on their platform. Nintendo will have to start using its cash reserves to be competitive. Lord knows, they've played it coy while swimming in dough with the DS and the Wii. Now it's time to actually fight for the gamers dollar.

#13 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

Nintendo...

#14 Posted by bbkkristian (14944 posts) -

Sony's the boogeyman to everybody in the industry. What's new?

#15 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

So the fact that sony encourages original games, they offer help and support to third party developers, they practically give dev kits away to indie developers, they preach the mantra of games, they have a better online system than Nintendo and cater to game developers a lot more that its their fault Nintendo act like a bunch of ass clowns when it comes to getting people to put games on their systems?

Maybe if Nintendo pulled their heads out of their asses it wouldn't be an issue.

Nintendo is all around a shit company that can not make good decisions. All they do is jerkoff the franchise dick anytime the cocaine bucket runs dry, they haven't an original or even good idea.

Fuck Nintendo. Ive given up on them really.

#16 Edited by superbuuman (2683 posts) -

wow..lame Nintendo! no one to blame but yourself.

#17 Edited by Animal-Mother (26554 posts) -

The Wii-U is a great console. Shame nintendo is so bullheaded about it's practices though. I mean they could just rock the shit out of everyone. But they don\'t

#18 Edited by ni6htmare01 (917 posts) -

@Gargus said:

So the fact that sony encourages original games, they offer help and support to third party developers, they practically give dev kits away to indie developers, they preach the mantra of games, they have a better online system than Nintendo and cater to game developers a lot more that its their fault Nintendo act like a bunch of ass clowns when it comes to getting people to put games on their systems?

Maybe if Nintendo pulled their heads out of their asses it wouldn't be an issue.

Nintendo is all around a shit company that can not make good decisions. All they do is jerkoff the franchise dick anytime the cocaine bucket runs dry, they haven't an original or even good idea.

Fuck Nintendo. Ive given up on them really.

I agreed! I also give up Nintendo long ago. Making me sick to see Mario again and again after 30 plus years!

#19 Posted by DocSanchez (1564 posts) -

This is bad news for Nintendo fans.

They have and will continue to blame every single person except the one party who is to blame and has power to change things - themselves. Instead of taking responsibility and trying to improve they attack, like some of their most vocal fans.

#20 Posted by Desmonic (13417 posts) -

Sony's the boogeyman to everybody in the industry. What's new?

Be afraid... be very afraid! :O

#21 Posted by Gue1 (9500 posts) -

this is karma for the backstabbing of the PlayStation add-on.

#22 Edited by super600 (30303 posts) -

I do not think nintendo blamed somy for their third party problem.Lol!An analyst blamed sony for nintendo's third party problem.

#23 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26272 posts) -
#24 Posted by V3rciS (2213 posts) -

Yes I'll blame others for my incompetence...

#25 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13422 posts) -

@V3rciS said:

Yes I'll blame others for my incompetence...

Please Understand.

#26 Posted by StormyJoe (4901 posts) -

Many people, including myself, said that the Wii was a hit because it was the tech version of "Tickle Me Elmo". The fad is over, and Nintendo now has to compete for sales with the consumer pool that MS and Sony compete in.

If people attack the Xbox One for having slightly weaker specs than the PS4 (and yes, the difference isn't that much, cows), what does Nintendo think people will say about the Wii U when it's barely more powerful than last gen hardware?

What did they think was going to happen?

#27 Posted by StormyJoe (4901 posts) -

Also, the interest is dead. Look how fast the comments on that article, which is about Nintendo, quickly turn to Xbox One vs. PS4?

#28 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (13422 posts) -

Many people, including myself, said that the Wii was a hit because it was the tech version of "Tickle Me Elmo". The fad is over, and Nintendo now has to compete for sales with the consumer pool that MS and Sony compete in.

If people attack the Xbox One for having slightly weaker specs than the PS4 (and yes, the difference isn't that much, cows), what does Nintendo think people will say about the Wii U when it's barely more powerful than last gen hardware?

It seems more than slightly weaker when titanfall is struggling with just 720p.

#29 Posted by StormyJoe (4901 posts) -

@StormyJoe said:

First off, that's a rumor. Secondly, even if it were true, MS released new drivers a few weeks ago, so that would make the article moot. Thirdly, we don't exactly know how the PS4 would run TitanFall, since it isn't being developed for that platform.

#30 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13422 posts) -

@StormyJoe said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@StormyJoe said:

First off, that's a rumor. Secondly, even if it were true, MS released new drivers a few weeks ago, so that would make the article moot. Thirdly, we don't exactly know how the PS4 would run TitanFall, since it isn't being developed for that platform.

It may be a rumor, but let's count all the rumors up until this point that have turned out to be true for the xbone, especially when it comes to inferior multiplats.

They've got a history of being true, I wouldn't put to much faith in titan fall on a technical level.

#31 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

How is SONy blamed bu not.... Is this for japanese third-party? because then this would make more sense.

@DerekLoffin said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Netret0120 said:

At least Phillips, as horrible as their Mario and Zelda games were, had permission. Sony tried to more or less take Nintendo's money from a potential Mario/Zelda/Metroid (can't say Pokemon because that didn't come until a few years later and dethrone Metroid's spot on the Triforce) game they developed.

To say hotel mario is horrible is saying that you never played it and probably get all your gaming opinions from guys like AVGN. Regardless, philips best selling games were not even those titles when they were praised back when they were new. Oddly enough it was because it was aimed at the wrong audience. People wanted Chaos Control and Burn:Cycle not mario and zelda.

Nintendo always had draconian ways of dealing with third parties, but they put up with it for so long because Nintendo was basically the only game in town.

This is only true if they were japanese third-party support.

Nintendo were stupid all the way from the N64 days.\

They were stupid way before that. But they are making similar mistakes of 2 other companies before, all you need is dumb management that somehow gets lucky and then becomes dumber more and more./

#32 Posted by Puggy301 (160 posts) -

Bad decisions have bad consequences. Any problems Nintendo have are strictly of their own making.

#33 Edited by SolidTy (42446 posts) -

The Wii U is my N64, Gamecube, or Wii depending on what generation you come from. My Wii U is strictly for exclusives just like my Gamecube, N64, and Wii were. This issue of 3rd party doesn't effect me because I wouldn't buy 3rd party multiplatform software on a machine constructed like the Wii U. I'm a huge Nintendo fan, but I'm not stupid. I have other machines that offer more features for that very same multiplatform software. Nintendo is in the stone ages when it comes to issues like power or online approach. I'm not going to apologize for them or buy inferior software when Nintendo chose to design a gaming machine that pushes away multiplatform support. I learned my lesson in the N64 era, I'm surprised every generation people are confused by what is clearly Nintendo's doing. Always looking for a scapegoat on Nintendo's failings. I'm okay with who they have become, I've come to terms with the reality of this 3rd party situation, LONG BEFORE THE Wii or Wii U ever released. The younger generation of kiddies just can't ever come to grips with what has been happening with Nintendo for two decades. Jeez. I'm going to be explaining and writing the same sh*t when the next machine comes out, it's so tiring and boring.

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Gue1 said:

In which, again, Sony wasn't even right on either.

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Netret0120 said:

Do you even know why Hiroshi Yamauchi blew Sony off like that? Sony tried to manufacture and sell CD's, even from Nintendo's own IP's WITHOUT their permission. Sony was no "good guy" in that situation either.

Since that, if Nintendo and Sony won't work together then, they won't do it now or any time in the future. They are no safer with Microsoft (especially since they'd take Donkey Kong Country due to one developer they own).

That's a revisionist perspective, especially when you take Japanese culture with concepts like honor and how the Japanese conduct business into consideration. There is a lot to consider before even posting on the subject. The old story has been distorted and warped by your posts nintendoboy, and perhaps by your young, western views on a Japanese matter.

There is books on this subject, far better illuminating the subject rather than that link (Henk Rogers posting), but that links tiny few sentences on the subject are more accurate than what you have been typing. I lived through the era and read books and articles on the subject. While I lived through this era and read books on the subject, your own Henk Rogers link that you rely on said it better and more accurately than you have in this thread:

"Sony was going to make a CD drive for the Super Famicom. They had a contract, but something went wrong. Nintendo stopped talking to Sony, and Sony’s engineers were in limbo without Nintendo’s cooperation on the interface. Sony guys asked me to find out what was going on. The issue was that according to the contract, Sony could make and sell CD-ROM games without buying them from Nintendo. Nintendo wanted a monopoly on manufacturing games for its hardware."

That was it. Nintendo and Sony signed a contract, Nintendo backed out of the contract after reconsidering the ramifications of the contract. That's right, Nintendo signed a contract. Can you believe it? Why did they sign that. Rest assured it doesn't end there, but there is a 'good guy and a bad guy' (your words) here. I realize being an apologist in SW gets people off, but I happen to be here right now and it's time to set the record straight. That link has such little information on the situation, but even it is more accurate than what I'm seeing posted by you in these forums right now. Nintendo then allowed Sony to embarrass themselves by announcing the Nintendo Playstation only to have Nintendo the next day at the show announce they were working with Philips. Remember too, videogames were a tiny thing for Sony back then, and the head of Sony wasn't interested. It was the fact a tiny games company like Nintendo, bear in mind back then how big gaming was, could embarrass Sony that motivated the head of Sony to enter the gaming world in a big way.

Your individual take on the matter is warped, nintendoboy. I'm not sure you were old enough to read the news on the matters back then, which is unfortunate, but there are very intriguing books which you may want to look into if you really want to know the ins and outs of what happened. As of now, you are correcting people with your revisionist take on the affair, and the link you, nintendoboy, are using doesn't even back up that "pro-nintendo" perspective. This revisionist view is common amount select minority of younger posters in a variety of forums.

One of many books I'd recommend is The First Quarter by Steven Kent or The Ultimate History of Videogames.

I don't blame Nintendo for what they did (In competing with Sega CD, Nintendo shouldn't have signed a contract with Sony), but rest assured Nintendo did break the contract and did motivate the head of Sony to move into gaming in a big, big way. We are still dealing with the ramifications of Nintendo's decisions today. I grew up on Nintendo, but back then there were on top of the world suing rental stores for renting NES games, etc. The NES was amazing, the Super NES fantastic....Nintendo was my all time favorite gaming company, followed by Capcom, Konami, Atari, Sega, etc. Nintendo dropped the ball back then. Nintendo screwed up. It happens.

#34 Edited by Merex760 (4284 posts) -

I'm pretty sure making consoles with gimmicks and weak hardware compared to the competition, thus making Nintendo consoles the "special case" to develop for is the problem. Not SCE.

#35 Posted by farrell2k (5808 posts) -

Who in their right mind buys Nintendo systems for the multiplats? It has been known for more than a decade that Nintendo systems are for Nintendo games. I don't get the pretend outrage.

#36 Posted by Heil68 (43462 posts) -

Well Sony is credited for saving this gen too.

#37 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

That's a revisionist perspective,

Most Nintendo fans have this problem.

#38 Posted by Couth_ (10013 posts) -

Nintendo becomes more of a joke every day

#39 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (2728 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

That's a revisionist perspective,

Most Nintendo fans have this problem.

I for one am happy Sony is here they made video games mainstream. If Nintendo still ran things video games would still be for kids. I remember buying Mortal Kombat and there was no blood on the snes. They have always done things they felt like doing instead of what the gamers wanted. They are some old farts in Japan who still think Japan is on top. In stark contrast to Sony who embrace the WORLD of video games.

#40 Posted by AznbkdX (3120 posts) -

Sony is being blamed? Sounds like bs to me.

#41 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26272 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Gue1 said:

In which, again, Sony wasn't even right on either.

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Netret0120 said:

That's a revisionist perspective, especially when you take Japanese culture with concepts like honor and how the Japanese conduct business into consideration. There is a lot to consider before even posting on the subject. The old story has been distorted and warped by your posts nintendoboy, and perhaps by your young, western views on a Japanese matter.

There is books on this subject, far better illuminating the subject rather than that link (Henk Rogers posting), but that links tiny few sentences on the subject are more accurate than what you have been typing. I lived through the era and read books and articles on the subject. While I lived through this era and read books on the subject, your own Henk Rogers link that you rely on said it better and more accurately than you have in this thread:

"Sony was going to make a CD drive for the Super Famicom. They had a contract, but something went wrong. Nintendo stopped talking to Sony, and Sony’s engineers were in limbo without Nintendo’s cooperation on the interface. Sony guys asked me to find out what was going on. The issue was that according to the contract, Sony could make and sell CD-ROM games without buying them from Nintendo. Nintendo wanted a monopoly on manufacturing games for its hardware."

That was it. Nintendo and Sony signed a contract, Nintendo backed out of the contract after reconsidering the ramifications of the contract. That's right, Nintendo signed a contract. Can you believe it? Why did they sign that. Rest assured it doesn't end there, but there is a 'good guy and a bad guy' (your words) here. I realize being an apologist in SW gets people off, but I happen to be here right now and it's time to set the record straight. That link has such little information on the situation, but even it is more accurate than what I'm seeing posted by you in these forums right now. Nintendo then allowed Sony to embarrass themselves by announcing the Nintendo Playstation only to have Nintendo the next day at the show announce they were working with Philips. Remember too, videogames were a tiny thing for Sony back then, and the head of Sony wasn't interested. It was the fact a tiny games company like Nintendo, bear in mind back then how big gaming was, could embarrass Sony that motivated the head of Sony to enter the gaming world in a big way.

Your individual take on the matter is warped, nintendoboy. I'm not sure you were old enough to read the news on the matters back then, which is unfortunate, but there are very intriguing books which you may want to look into if you really want to know the ins and outs of what happened. As of now, you are correcting people with your revisionist take on the affair, and the link you, nintendoboy, are using doesn't even back up that "pro-nintendo" perspective. This revisionist view is common amount select minority of younger posters in a variety of forums.

One of many books I'd recommend is The First Quarter by Steven Kent or The Ultimate History of Videogames.

I don't blame Nintendo for what they did (In competing with Sega CD, Nintendo shouldn't have signed a contract with Sony), but rest assured Nintendo did break the contract and did motivate the head of Sony to move into gaming in a big, big way. We are still dealing with the ramifications of Nintendo's decisions today. I grew up on Nintendo, but back then there were on top of the world suing rental stores for renting NES games, etc. The NES was amazing, the Super NES fantastic....Nintendo was my all time favorite gaming company, followed by Capcom, Konami, Atari, Sega, etc. Nintendo dropped the ball back then. Nintendo screwed up. It happens.

You really think I didn't know that Nintendo signed a contract? I read the article I've linked (among other sources). I didn't say that in a "warped pro-Nintendo" perspective, I said it in a "Sony wasn't any better" perspective (in fact, I said that in my first quote), as in, they don't get a pass either. I mean, for a time, I thought Sony was in the right, but reading that had me leaning back to my previous perspective in that neither side was correct. Last I understand, that contract tried to have Sony manufacture discs, even Nintendo's own IPs behind their back. And why shouldn't Nintendo know, especially when Sony would have profited off of Nintendo's own IP's? I know Nintendo wanted a monopoly, but is it any less shady for your partner company to be allowed via contract to make money off of your IPs once they got distributed on disc without the owners of those IP's permission?

Make no mistake, I know Nintendo messed up a lot of things back then. Yamauchi and Co. should have fully read the contract before hand (and therefore, should never have signed it) and CES '91 was a bad time to make an announcement like that especially in that fashion they did (and for the sake of their IP's they shouldn't have partnered with Phillips and sticking with carts on the N64 really didn't help), but regardless, that tidbit in the contract just made me feel that Sony can't get my sympathy either.

With that said, it did end up being for the better that they split.

#42 Edited by Speak_Low (943 posts) -

Sheep yesterday: "Nintendo has lots of money and can have 50 years of failure and still be in the business. They are not going anywhere"

Sheep today: "Waaah! Not fair, Sony and MS buy everybody and Nintendo cannot keep up with this greed! Not their fault for being integretous is that a word?"

I'm still looking for a Sheep who never contradicts himself. This search will take a long time.

#43 Edited by Jag85 (4374 posts) -

2: Response to the problem of the inability to secure third party titles caused by SCE (Sony Computer Entertainment) investing heavily in the marketing cost of multiplatform software.

Makes sense. If Sony is more willing to invest and market third-party products, then naturally third-party developers would be more inclined towards Sony rather than Nintendo. I think Nintendo could learn a lesson or two from Sony on how to treat third-party developers.

#44 Posted by Devil-Itachi (4370 posts) -

They're is probably some truth to it but nothing to dwell on.

#45 Posted by cainetao11 (16882 posts) -

Its nobody's fault that the majority want the next gen of consoles to have stronger graphical capabilities. They don't have to be world beating, just an obvious upgrade to the strongest of the previous gen. Nintendo bought their own crap, when the Wii didn't require this in order to be a success. But 3rd party devs want to work on newer advancements, and know the majority will buy in these markets. Ninty need to get real with this industries ebb and flow.

#46 Edited by PSP107 (11833 posts) -

Nintendo have themselves to blame. They made one of the biggest mistakes in gaming history

What about the Virtual Boy?

#47 Edited by AzatiS (7263 posts) -

Nintendo showing finally its true face. Nuff said.

What can you expect from a company that sold 100M++ consoles in 3-4 years ( Wii ) more or less then let the system die while they let all those people with almost no support and games for almost 2 years till Wii U release... Or blockbuster titles like Mario Galaxy that costed full price for almost 2-3 years ?!!! Insane... What do you expect really for such a company when they letdown their fanbase literally ?

Yeah Sonys fault they didnt accept playstation as a Nintendo CD product back in the days to begin with. Or Sony should start blaming Nintendo for Vitas sales ? What the heck Nintendo thinking ... Is damage control that much or what the heck.

#48 Posted by AugustEvans (104 posts) -

Nintendo is so pathetic. The reason why they can't secure 3rd party is because they're consoles suck and don't give developers a good reason to make games on their garbage

#49 Edited by Shielder7 (5151 posts) -

Actually Nintendo said yes and than knifed them in the back and went with philips, but didn't bother to tell them and let them show up to E3 anyway.

#50 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26272 posts) -

@Netret0120 said:

Actually Nintendo said yes and than knifed them in the back and went with philips, but didn't bother to tell them and let them show up to E3 anyway.

Not E3. CES '91. Just a quick correction there.