Sony and MS dominate social media; Nintendo trails behind

#1 Edited by Speak_Low (978 posts) -

From a NeoGaf thread:

Facebook comparisons (followers and the year FB started)

• PlayStation: 38M [2009]
  • Xbox: 24M [2010]
  • Nintendo: 3M [2011]

Website visits:

Xbox.com

• Global Rank: 1,161
  • Rank in United States: 569

PlayStation.com

• Global Rank: 1,300
  • Rank in United States: 1,176

Nintendo.com

• Global Rank: 4,725
  • Rank in United States: 2,363

You would expect better from Nintendo given their Wii popularity. But also not surprising because we all know where that crowd went.

To be honest, I also think people are tired of seeing Mario, Toad, Princess, Luigi and Toad on every damn Nintendo page, manual, box, poster.....everything. I know Mario is their mascot and "Mickey Mouse" of the company, but take a break and use some other IPs and images once in a while. Even Disney uses characters outside of the original gang of Mickey, Donald, Goofy and Pluto!

According to the public right now:

Sony and Xbox = cool, refreshing iced tea

Nintendo = room temperature tap water

#2 Posted by clyde46 (45438 posts) -

We social media now?

#3 Posted by blackace (20382 posts) -

Not all to surprised by this. With the majority of Nintendo's fanbase being teens and younger, they are probably spending more time on Myspace or Facebook then on any Nintendo websites. I just started using Twitter more at the beginning of the year. I've had an account for almost 2 years, but really never used it.

#4 Edited by super600 (30395 posts) -

@blackace said:

Not all to surprised by this. With the majority of Nintendo's fanbase being teens and younger, they are probably spending more time on Myspace or Facebook then on any Nintendo websites. I just started using Twitter more at the beginning of the year. I've had an account for almost 2 years, but really never used it.

Do you have data to prove this?You may be right about the 3ds's audience, but I think the demographic the WiiU appeals to is different.

#5 Edited by Micropixel (868 posts) -
@speak_low said:

From a NeoGaf thread:

Facebook comparisons (followers and the year FB started)

• PlayStation: 38M [2009]
  • Xbox: 24M [2010]
  • Nintendo: 3M [2011]

Website visits:

Xbox.com

• Global Rank: 1,161
  • Rank in United States: 569

PlayStation.com

• Global Rank: 1,300
  • Rank in United States: 1,176

Nintendo.com

• Global Rank: 4,725
  • Rank in United States: 2,363

You would expect better from Nintendo given their Wii popularity. But also not surprising because we all know where that crowd went.

To be honest, I also think people are tired of seeing Mario, Toad, Princess, Luigi and Toad on every damn Nintendo page, manual, box, poster.....everything. I know Mario is their mascot and "Mickey Mouse" of the company, but take a break and use some other IPs and images once in a while. Even Disney uses characters outside of the original gang of Mickey, Donald, Goofy and Pluto!

According to the public right now:

Sony and Xbox = cool, refreshing iced tea

Nintendo = room temperature tap water

Right, but you're also not accounting for Miiverse. Most of this traffic for Nintendo has migrated to Miiverse and is both shared and viewed from there. Same applies to their youtube content which is shared/viewed from YouTube, Miiverse and Mario Kart TV.

So you're not really showing the entire picture for everyone, Speak.

#6 Posted by chikenfriedrice (9999 posts) -

I follow MS and Sony on Twitter....but not Nintendo ( they bore me )

#7 Posted by blackace (20382 posts) -

@super600 said:

@blackace said:

Do you have data to prove this?You may be right about the 3ds's audience, but I think the demographic the WiiU appeals to is different.

The social media numbers are proof enough. It's pretty obvious the more gamers 18yrs and older play more XBox & PS then they do Wii /Wii U. The demographics for the Wii U is a younger crowd and probably more female gamers. These younger gamers are less likely to have Twitter and Facebook accounts.

#8 Edited by super600 (30395 posts) -

@blackace said:

@super600 said:

@blackace said:

The social media numbers are proof enough. It's pretty obvious the more gamers 18yrs and older play more XBox & PS then they do Wii /Wii U. The demographics for the Wii U is a younger crowd and probably more female gamers. These younger gamers are less likely to have Twitter and Facebook accounts.

Like I said you are right about the 3ds's audience, but everything I heard is completely different for the WiiU.The audience on the WiiU skews older.

#9 Edited by inb4uall (5398 posts) -

Dat grasp at straws.

Also I banned xbox from my twitter feed. lol

#10 Posted by PonchoTaco (1991 posts) -

Prepare for novels to be written by TC to anyone who attempts to argue.

#11 Posted by Speak_Low (978 posts) -

Right, but you're also not accounting for Miiverse. Most of this traffic for Nintendo has migrated to Miiverse and is both shared and viewed from there. Same applies to their youtube content which is shared/viewed from YouTube, Miiverse and Mario Kart TV.

Are there Miiverse population numbers? I'm not making a joke - I don't fully understand how Miiverse works here. But if Miiverse shares the same followers as FB/Twitter, then wouldn't the numbers be higher for Nintendo's FB/Twitter pages, considering the Wii U/3DS have a large combined install base?

I guess what I'm saying is, if you can view FB/Twitter from inside of Miiverse (is that what you're saying?), then wouldn't every little activity like "sharing" and "liking" something inside Miiverse be reflected on Nintendo's official FB/Twitter page?

I've typed "Miiverse" way more than I wanted to for one post. That will be all for today

#12 Posted by PsychoLemons (2053 posts) -

We get it.

You hate Nintendo with a passion.

#13 Posted by GhoX (4814 posts) -

I'm glad that Nintendo is at least more focused on making games than pooping out useless and misleading marketing hypes.

#14 Posted by Heirren (16656 posts) -

@blackace said:

Not sure if it was accurate or not but someone just posted statistics that show the large majority of wiiu owners are 25 to 35 years old, if I remember correctly.

#15 Posted by drummerdave9099 (656 posts) -
#16 Posted by hiphops_savior (7863 posts) -

Using social media for ownage? Check. Making disingenuous leaps to bash Nintendo? Check.

Another troll topic designed by the trolls of SW.

Btw, for all the incompetence TC thinks Nintendo has on FB, Nintendo are masters of Twitter. Case in point.

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/cranky-kong-was-the-only-vgx-announcement-trending-on-twitter

#17 Edited by Micropixel (868 posts) -

@speak_low said:
@Micropixel said:

Are there Miiverse population numbers? I'm not making a joke - I don't fully understand how Miiverse works here. But if Miiverse shares the same followers as FB/Twitter, then wouldn't the numbers be higher for Nintendo's FB/Twitter pages, considering the Wii U/3DS have a large combined install base?

I guess what I'm saying is, if you can view FB/Twitter from inside of Miiverse (is that what you're saying?), then wouldn't every little activity like "sharing" and "liking" something inside Miiverse be reflected on Nintendo's official FB/Twitter page?

I've typed "Miiverse" way more than I wanted to for one post. That will be all for today

Actually, I don't really know how to determine Miiverse traffic. But from there you can share your posts, screens and videos without ever signing into Facebook, Twitter or YouTube. You don't even have to leave the game you're currently playing. Same with Nintendo TVii (a lot of people forget the Wii U even has that feature).

You can't view Facebook or anything from Miiverse, but it does operate like Facebook with it's own "Like" system, activity feeds, profiles etc.

I'm not claiming that this is superior in any way, just that it's possible that this is where some of that missing traffic could be. :)

#18 Posted by -Damien- (5304 posts) -

nintendo platform is reserved for the anti-socials, the nerdiest of nerds

#19 Posted by KungfuKitten (20905 posts) -

@blackace said:

@super600 said:

@blackace said:

Or do you mean the older gamers... My little sis has Facebook, I don't. I'm of the generation who had MSN messenger and were done with social media before Facebook exploded.

#20 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26336 posts) -

Oh no! Nintendo's follower base on Facebook is low. Whatever shall we do? /sarcasm

You're better than this, Speak.