Sonic Lost World Flops Hard at IGN & GS. 5.8/5.0

• 176 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by wiifan001 (18420 posts) -

IGN Calls out for Poor Level Design, Awkward Controls, andLacks Speed. The Score is 5.8

Meanwhile GS scores a 5.0 for it.

Wii U keeps hitting one sour note after another for the holiday season.

Rayman Legends went from exclusive to multiplat. Splinter Cell Blacklist Wii U and Batman Arkham Origins are lacking features found on other platforms. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze and Watch Dogs are delayed to 2014, and now this Sonic game is off to a BAD start on ratings.

#2 Edited by VendettaRed07 (14012 posts) -

.......Ugh....

Sega,,, facepalm.jpg

#3 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26862 posts) -

How can something flop on this site if there wasn't a hype thread to begin with?

#4 Posted by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

How can something flop on this site if there wasn't a hype thread to begin with?

Can't wait for the Ryze flop threads

#5 Posted by wiifan001 (18420 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

There doesn't always need to be a hype thread for a game.

And there were a chunk of gamers who were more excited for this game than Super Mario 3d World.

A Sonic game over a Mario game, when was the last time that happened? They'll see these reviews and that will leave Mario 3d World in the clear for this holiday on the Wii U

#6 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26862 posts) -

@wiifan001 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

There doesn't always need to be a hype thread for a game.

And there were a chunk of gamers who were more excited for this game than Super Mario 3d World.

A Sonic game over a Mario game, when was the last time that happened? They'll see these reviews and that will leave Mario 3d World in the clear for this holiday on the Wii U

Did you forget how System Wars works?

#7 Edited by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -

Uh oh, he criticized the difficulty.

"YOU BIG PANSY, YOUR NOT MAN ENOUGH TO REVIEW A SONIC THE HEDGEHOG GAME"

#8 Edited by Trail_Mix (2021 posts) -

Yeah, I had a feeling it wouldn't score well.

#9 Posted by Smashbrossive50 (2884 posts) -

Mario...to me he became selfish,and all his matter is to win more than Sonic does each year,just because he is 10 years older than Sonic,doesn't mean he succeeded more,I rarely appreciate him after SMG 2

#10 Posted by Samurai_Xavier (4364 posts) -

So much for the "Looks like Mario Galaxy!" and all the positive comments when it was announced.

Sonic Cycle is back, ladies and gentlemen.

#11 Edited by longtonguecat (2498 posts) -

Still better than BioShock Infinite? :P

#12 Posted by Netret0120 (2196 posts) -

TSHBO!!!!!

But seriously, i don't think many people were hyping this.

#13 Posted by Meinhard1 (6775 posts) -

If Sega wants to maintain the integrity of their mascot they can't have games that flop this hard.

Releases like Sonic the Hedgehog (Self titled reboot), this one, and Shadow the Hedgehog make it less likely that people will try games like Sonic Colors or Generations.

#14 Edited by AtariKidX (6282 posts) -

Many sheep they have say this is the gane that it will save the WiiU..........lol

One more flop for the WiiU....5.0.....lol enjoy.

#15 Posted by freedomfreak (40879 posts) -

Wasn't getting this. Waiting for 3D World.

#16 Posted by Rayrota (1456 posts) -

A bad 3D Sonic game, gee that's new...

#17 Posted by Lucianu (9443 posts) -

It's flopping hard everywere, actually. Pff .. fuck me. They should have built upon Generations instead of trying to create a new thing. Oh well.

#18 Posted by TheShadowLord07 (22139 posts) -

@Lucianu said:

It's flopping hard everywere, actually. Pff .. fuck me. They should have built upon Generations instead of trying to create a new thing. Oh well.

thats kinda bad really. Not because I dont disagree with you anything. is that they you might be right and they would be stuck with 2d sonic for a very long time. and that there isn't enough 3d platformers these days(or maybe at all).

#19 Posted by Lucianu (9443 posts) -

@TheShadowLord07 said:

@Lucianu said:

thats kinda bad really. Not because I dont disagree with you anything. is that they you might be right and they would be stuck with 2d sonic for a very long time. and that there isn't enough 3d platformers these days(or maybe at all).

They had a base to work with. Sonic Generations was a great game, they were going in the right direction. They chould have looked at the game, fixed the issues, made new and more content, more secrets. Sonic Generations 2 would have been awesome, keep all the good parts of the first one, make it better.

Shit, they tried something new at least, i can respect that.

#20 Posted by DocSanchez (1633 posts) -

This game has been hyped for ages too. Every list of games "proving" the wii u beat the competition.

It's hilarious. There was no hype thread, but there was certainly hype. Lots of it.

#21 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (25513 posts) -

I guess I shouldn't have expected much from this game. :/

#22 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

Meh, still want it.

#23 Posted by chocolate1325 (32539 posts) -

60% average the last Sonic Exclusive was near an 80% average.

#24 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (25513 posts) -

@Lucianu said:

@TheShadowLord07 said:

@Lucianu said:

They had a base to work with. Sonic Generations was a great game, they were going in the right direction. They chould have looked at the game, fixed the issues, made new and more content, more secrets. Sonic Generations 2 would have been awesome, keep all the good parts of the first one, make it better.

Shit, they tried something new at least, i can respect that.

Well this New Concept was actually a Concept for a Game that was supposed to be released on the Saturn.

#26 Edited by Nuck81 (5861 posts) -

It's a Sonic game, what did anyone expect.

Even Generations, which was lauded as the best Sonic game since the 16 bit era is Mediocre at best.

If it weren't for the Sonic and All-Stars Racing games (Which are amazing, since they aren't developed by Sega), the next thing that needs to be put into Sonic is a bullet.

#28 Posted by Lucianu (9443 posts) -
@Nuck81 said:

Even Generations, which was lauded as the best Sonic game since the 16 bit era is Mediocre at best.

I highly disagree, Colours is good and Generations is a great game.

#29 Posted by Stringerboy (7074 posts) -

Destructoid gave it a good score.

Destructoid.

What.

#30 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151377 posts) -

It's Sonic....I'll still get it.

#31 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151377 posts) -

@Nuck81 said:

That doesn't scream opinion or anything.......

#32 Posted by yokofox33 (29863 posts) -

Not surprised. The previews never looked good to me. Still, I didn't want the game to flop hard like that.

#33 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8453 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

Sheep are quick to pretend this game wasn't on their 'Wii-U has a great Q4 line-up' list since E3.

#34 Posted by MonsieurX (30411 posts) -

itt: people miss using the word flop

#35 Posted by AcidTango (609 posts) -

Man that really sucks. To be honest it actually looked very fun in the previews but so far so many people are saying that it isn't that good. Funny how the series started to do good from Colors and Generations but now it looks like it's back to being the next Sonic 06 and Unleashed once again.

#36 Edited by Chrome- (1663 posts) -

Just when sonic was picking up some momentum again after generations sega just had to fuck it up again.

#38 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4490 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

Don't know about flop in that sense, but I heard a few Nintendo fans talking it up.

-

Watching the reviews, wow that game looks annoying to play. The problem with 3D Sonic games is that they're just unsuitable for the character. I've never liked them, apart from Generations maybe.

What Sonic games are supposed to be imo is half speed, half pinball. And it doesn't really work in 3D, there's no space to build up speed and momentum because there is so much sh*t in your way everywhere.

The closest they got to making speed work was in Sonic Heroes. But that had an annoying tag thing with all Sonics other a*se hole friends and it was a bit too much on rails, but it's the only way Sonic can be presented properly in 3D.

This Lost World whatever was dumb from conception. The only I think Sonic would work in 3D is if they reduced his speed by a third and compensated the feeling of speed by using on screen effects and having everything around him move in slower motion. This way, he can maintain his character and the player can maintain control while navigating him through the environments.

Right now the speed and pinball elements seem too forced in his 3D games and you don't get a whole lot of control.

#39 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

itt: people miss using the word flop

People should learn what words mean before using them.

#40 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26862 posts) -

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

Sheep are quick to pretend this game wasn't on their 'Wii-U has a great Q4 line-up' list since E3.

Does that mean there was a hype thread?

#41 Posted by anab0lic (273 posts) -

Nobody was ever really expecting this game to be anything more than average...so kind of stupid to call it a flop.

#42 Edited by silversix_ (14781 posts) -

its on wiiu, of course it failed

#43 Edited by silversix_ (14781 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

no, that means you've got your 10y old money grab Zelda and mario spam as "awesome wiiu games in 2013" while the others get bf4, infinite, metro ll, tomb raider, tlou, gta5 and such. What a pathetic console just lolz

#44 Edited by HalcyonScarlet (4490 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

Man I hate that rule, it's stupid imo. Every faction talks up certain games, and then they use the hype thread score as a safety net or lack of a thread as a defence.

The cows do this often, because every exclusive of theirs is the best thing since slice bread, but when it comes to it, 'we only hyped it A or AA'.

#45 Posted by DocSanchez (1633 posts) -

@anab0lic: that isn't true.

#46 Edited by MFDOOM1983 (8453 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

The sheep that post here lack the cojones to hype their marquee games AAA because they fear that it'll flop, which makes the hype thread meta-game boring.

http://www.gamespot.com/profile/nintendoboy16/blog/games-im-looking-forward-to-most-from-e3-2013/26030692/

Bottomline: Sheep were excited about this title and used it as one of the reasons why wii-u is worth having this fall/winter. Game bombed, I poke a little fun at wii-u and the sheep faction. This is how SW works.

#47 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11909 posts) -

That is really disappointing.

#48 Posted by DocSanchez (1633 posts) -

@MFDOOM1983: exactly. Essentially they talk about a game for months but don't open a hype thread so as soon as it doesn't meet the expectations they had laid down, they back out. This is why hype threads are largely meaningless. You get a load of people purposely under scoring their expectations so they can save face later or act like a decent game surprised them but in the hard light of day, when a game is all you're talking about for months you're hyping it.

This game was on everyone's lists who we're hyping the wii and it's failed.

#49 Edited by anab0lic (273 posts) -

@DocSanchez said:

@MFDOOM1983: exactly. Essentially they talk about a game for months but don't open a hype thread so as soon as it doesn't meet the expectations they had laid down, they back out. This is why hype threads are largely meaningless. You get a load of people purposely under scoring their expectations so they can save face later or act like a decent game surprised them but in the hard light of day, when a game is all you're talking about for months you're hyping it.

This game was on everyone's lists who we're hyping the wii and it's failed.

Erm nope, the games that made me buy a Wii U last week were Zelda WW HD, Pikmin 3, NSMB U, the upcomming Mario 3d World... then Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros + potential of other things next year. I saw some initial videos of this game a few months back and it looked 'ok'... then i saw gameplay videos leading up to release and it was obvious this game wasnt going to score highly.

Nintendo Games that DO actually look like they will be great DO get hype threads on here? Mario 3D world has had plenty... when it gets closer to releases like MK 8 and Smash you will see the same... if there was a lot of people genuinely excited for this game there would have been lots of threads or a few with LOTs of discussion/hype inside and there hasnt been for a good reason.

#50 Posted by Heil68 (45115 posts) -

Damn, didn't expect that.