Sonic Boom (Wii U) E3 Gameplay

• 98 results
#51 Posted by VERTIGO47 (6240 posts) -

Looks and plays like SHIT.

And that voice acting? Gimme a break.

#52 Posted by DocSanchez (1396 posts) -

That looks awful even by new sonic standards.

To think the 2D platformers used to be among the very best in the genre. Sonic 3 and Knuckles is still one of the greatest of all time. Look at them now though. This one wont even get anyones hopes up to crush them.

#53 Posted by GoldenElementXL (2570 posts) -

This game looks terrible. Way to kill my childhood hero!

#54 Posted by DocSanchez (1396 posts) -

@GoldenElementXL: You mean you didn't find the zany voices and kooky comments hilarious? Wow, sense of humour bypass!

(Just kidding of course. Who is this FOR?)

#55 Posted by Stringerboy (6889 posts) -

What the fuck is this shit?

#56 Edited by Darkmoone1 (2806 posts) -

Oh my god....this looks horrible. :(

EDIT: People are defending this?

#57 Posted by silversix_ (13576 posts) -

watching gameplay of this reminds you of how a last gen system the wiiu is

#58 Posted by Timstuff (26817 posts) -

This game looks terrible. It's like Sega is phoning it in just so they can finish their last Nintendo-exclusive Sonic obligation. The voices are annoying and the characters talk way, WAY too much. The gameplay looks clunky, and the environments have no detail-- and that "3 lane" gameplay for the speeding sections looks about as exciting as a toy train. Visually it somehow manages to look less impressive than Sonic Generations.

With Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations, I thought Sega might finally be ready to break free of the Sonic Cycle, but it looks like they still have a ways to go.

#59 Posted by DocSanchez (1396 posts) -

@silversix_: Careful. You will have around 500 pedantic wii u owners claiming that the gens are exclusively about time frame.

#60 Edited by LordQuorthon (5243 posts) -

I kind of want to see a Sanic Hegehog parody of this, but I honestly don't think it will be as funny. That voice acting is not the kind of thing you can do on purpose. You have to be a naturally ungifted imbecile to pull off something that atrocious.

It's all sorts of amazing how Sega treats its supposedly main mascot. They have the making of bad Sonic games down to a science, which is commendable, considering that Generations, Colors and the GBA games prove that they also know how to do the opposite. Their motivations, however, are anyone's guess.

#61 Edited by KBFloYd (12747 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

you mean like tomb raider guardian of light sequel? sooo next gen.

all systems have some last gen looking games

#62 Posted by silversix_ (13576 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

@silversix_ said:

but this is not last gen looking, this is 06 last gen looking.

#63 Posted by DocSanchez (1396 posts) -

@KBFloYd: But the wii u doesn't have any next gen looking games.

We're not talking about a secondary or indie title here. We're talking about a developer's flagship franchise. They are squeezing what they can out of the wii u. Which must be like getting blood out of a stone.

#64 Posted by ActicEdge (24320 posts) -

Looks awful. Soo so awful

#65 Posted by KBFloYd (12747 posts) -

We're not talking about a secondary or indie title here. We're talking about a developer's flagship franchise. They are squeezing what they can out of the wii u. Which must be like getting blood out of a stone.

mario kart 8 does.... mario 3d world is in between.

nintendo is mostly about artstyle and gameplay this gen....but since the games are 720p they look very pretty anyway.

your playing a bunch of gimped pc ports....and hype up indie games...while trashing the wiiu...whatever its your preference.

#66 Posted by ActicEdge (24320 posts) -

It looks far worse than Lost World which came out last year. This is hardly squeezing shit out of the WiiU, let's be serious here.

#67 Edited by KBFloYd (12747 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

@KBFloYd said:

@silversix_ said:

haha...nah..looks like a ps3 game.

#68 Posted by silversix_ (13576 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

@silversix_ said:

@KBFloYd said:

@silversix_ said:

haha...nah..looks like a ps3 game.

i agree. A ps3 game released in 06.

#69 Posted by DocSanchez (1396 posts) -

@kbfloyd I praised the look of Mario kart but frankly you're dreaming if you think it's next gen. Gran turismo 6 looks better. It's on a par with the sega kart game on a a technical level. Mario 3D doesn't even look good for a PS3/360 game. It's average.

Always interesting that you fail to argue so you get personal. What I may or may not be playing is irrelevant to this discussion.

#70 Edited by KBFloYd (12747 posts) -

@DocSanchez said:

@kbfloyd I praised the look of Mario kart but frankly you're dreaming if you think it's next gen. Gran turismo 6 looks better. It's on a par with the sega kart game on a a technical level. Mario 3D doesn't even look good for a PS3/360 game. It's average.

Always interesting that you fail to argue so you get personal. What I may or may not be playing is irrelevant to this discussion.

nope...i have a 360...mario kart8 looks more eye popping than anything i played on it.

i didnt get personal...im just stated a counter point to you always calling out nintendo.

#71 Posted by DocSanchez (1396 posts) -

@kbfloyd it is frankly very unsurprising that you take this line but on a technical term Mario kart, whether pleasing to your senses or not, does not distinguish itself from the gens which came before.

#72 Posted by KBFloYd (12747 posts) -

@kbfloyd it is frankly very unsurprising that you take this line but on a technical term Mario kart, whether pleasing to your senses or not, does not distinguish itself from the gens which came before.

then niether does forza 5 dead rising 3, knack,watch dogs

killzone and infamous...are a bit shinier (like mario kart) and thats it...same game as last gen.

#73 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24246 posts) -

The Dialogue in this game does not surprise me at all. Considering they are aiming at the Kid Demographic.

It really reminds me of something I would have played on the PS2.

#74 Edited by DocSanchez (1396 posts) -

The trouble is, I'm not advocating a position of every single game released on. X1 and ps4 is pushing the next gen boundaries. Just that none on wii u do. Were at the start of the gen, and not seeing the full potential. But already games like second so.pn show a clear gulf. No game on wii u does, or ever will. Because the tech isn't there.

Look at The Crew. That's next gen. Mario Kart isn't.

#75 Edited by GreySeal9 (23929 posts) -

@DocSanchez said:

It looks far worse than Lost World which came out last year. This is hardly squeezing shit out of the WiiU, let's be serious here.

^Funny how DocSanchez didn't address this post.

I mean, it's fine to take the Wii U to task for being underpowered compared to its competition, DocSanchez, but must you be a total dumb fuck about it?

#76 Edited by ActicEdge (24320 posts) -

@ActicEdge said:

@DocSanchez said:

^Funny how DocSanchez didn't address this post.

I mean, it's fine to take the Wii U to task for being underpowered compared to its competition, DocSanchez, but must you be a total dumb fuck about it?

I don't take anyone with an account under 2 years old seriously.

The WiiU is weak, it's obviously, thank you for enlightening everyone about the apparent visual gulf. My eyes totally couldn't tell . . .

Game is ugly and looks awful. Its not scratching the core of the WiiU's hardware though. There are launch games on the system more visually impressive :/ . Frankly though, stuff like Pikmin and 3DWorld while still in the PS3/360 level of visuals are effective at producing very clean IQ which the most graphically intensive games of last gen did not.

#77 Posted by Supabul (3855 posts) -

Why don't you post this in the Wii U forum or General games discussion all you'll get here is hate, so why do people bother with system wars, its a place that sucks the life and enjoyment out of videogames

#78 Posted by Speak_Low (746 posts) -

Nintendo can't pull off the CryEngine well (and that other game that will never be made - Shadow of the Eternals - use the CryEngine 3 as well).

Using the newest CryEngine 4 (Ryse, Evolve) would've made this game much more vibrant and gorgeous - but Wii U would go sonic boom trying to run it. There's only so much cheap hardware can do

#79 Edited by LordQuorthon (5243 posts) -
@Supabul said:

Why don't you post this in the Wii U forum or General games discussion all you'll get here is hate, so why do people bother with system wars, its a place that sucks the life and enjoyment out of videogames

This game, or at least what that video showed, deserves all the hate from all the Internets. It's just horrible.

All the "trolololo dis is de best de wii u can do teh weaksauce lololol" is an entirely different matter, but it's still expected from System Wars.

#80 Posted by schu (9217 posts) -

Wow this is freaking awful.......how depressing.....the voice acting is god awful and also forced..I don't need cheesy comments throughout the freaking gameplay....The "combat" is ridiculous..They've completely missed what makes sonic games great.....holy crap this is bad....I'm just gonna pretend this never existed.

#81 Posted by superbuuman (2522 posts) -

Looks awful. Soo so awful

the voices are worse imo...can't believe its this bad. :P

#82 Edited by Pffrbt (6367 posts) -

Nintendo can't pull off the CryEngine well

Nintendo's not developing this game you moron.

#83 Edited by Speak_Low (746 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@speak_low said:

Nintendo can't pull off the CryEngine well

Nintendo's not developing this game you moron.

No crap. Nintendo consoles. Which is why I mentioned Shadow of the Eternals as the other ugly ass attempt.

Man stop trying to look smarts

#84 Posted by Pffrbt (6367 posts) -

No crap. Nintendo consoles.

Of which there is only one where it's being used, making it "console" and not "consoles". Considering some of the stupid shit you've said before I'm not convinced that you didn't actually think Nintendo was developing this game.

#85 Posted by asexualrobot (21 posts) -

Barbra Streisand should stick to rehashing her 1970s hits. Her endless video game critiques reek of bias and contempt. They're almost as annoying as a "The Way We Were" marathon. Maybe Speak_Low is handing out anti-Nintendo leaflets outside the Plaza Hotel? BTW, that was a reference to her movie.

So the Sonic Boom is bad. Yet the console gets the blame. The logic is so ludicrous, it's like a parody of a troll.

On a more serious note, Sega really should stop milking the Sonic franchise and start putting actual effort into its product. Sonic games often have good design, only to be let down by questionable controls and bugs.

#86 Edited by Speak_Low (746 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@speak_low said:

No crap. Nintendo consoles.

Of which there is only one where it's being used, making it "console" and not "consoles". Considering some of the stupid shit you've said before I'm not convinced that you didn't actually think Nintendo was developing this game.

How in the world would Nintendo, making SM3DW, MK8 and SSBU be making Sega's Sonic Boom?

There's already an old thread about this Sonic Boom game and you'll find my old post (unedited) in there where I even mentioned it's being made by Big Red Button.

This coming from a guy who thinks every multiplat is trash but plays them all anyways. Games and stares at a monitor more than me. How many AAA trailers did you watch today? (please don't answer because you'll lie again)

#87 Posted by asexualrobot (21 posts) -

^See, if you were reasonably objective (as opposed to a loudmouth troll wasting away his life with dumbass posts), you would have placed the blame on the people who made the game.

With your logic, EVERY single console, every single handheld, every iOS and Android device, and every PC maker would have to be condemned. Every platform has had, and will inevitably have its share of lousy games.

Yet with you, it keeps on going back to Nintendo. Not entirely logical, but you regularly dish it out like some cuckoo clock striking 12.

#88 Posted by Pffrbt (6367 posts) -

@speak_low: "How in the world would Nintendo, making SM3DW, MK8 and SSBU be making Sega's Sonic Boom?"
Don't ask me. You're the one that made the comment.

"There's already an old thread about this Sonic Boom game and you'll find my old post (unedited) in there where I even mentioned it's being made by Big Red Button."
I'm not going to go find it because I don't actually care that much.

"This coming from a guy who thinks every multiplat is trash"
I don't though, and that's irrelevant.

"but plays them all anyways."

"Games and stares at a monitor more than me."
That's completely baseless and irrelevant.

"How many AAA trailers did you watch today?"
I don't know, not many. It doesn't matter though.

#89 Posted by gamefan67 (9831 posts) -

This is worse than puppy murder....

#90 Edited by Speak_Low (746 posts) -
@asexualrobot said:

^See, if you were reasonably objective (as opposed to a loudmouth troll wasting away his life with dumbass posts), you would have placed the blame on the people who made the game.

With your logic, EVERY single console, every single handheld, every iOS and Android device, and every PC maker would have to be condemned. Every platform has had, and will inevitably have its share of lousy games.

Yet with you, it keeps on going back to Nintendo. Not entirely logical, but you regularly dish it out like some cuckoo clock striking 12.

If you had more than 13 posts and been around longer you would've known that I blame devs and Nintendo in varying degrees based on the project (but you're obviously an Alt - let's drop the charade).

For this game, the blame would be on Big Red Button, but also on Nintendo because they created a console with so many limitations. Do not tell me the Wii U's 1GB RAM and a last-gen 3 core CPU cuts it these days. Even with the scalability of the CryEngine 3, 1GB of available RAM is terrible - that muddy, low-res look is exactly what you get with such little headroom.

Criterion couldn't get Need for Speed U running at above 720p, and that was with extra attention and work. Nintendo themselves can't get a 1080p going on their games either (even Mario Kart 8). Only 1080p game they made is a Gamecube remake.

Crytek and Turtle Rock Studios wouldn't get anything close to the results they achieved with PS4/X1/PC if they were forced to make Ryse and Evolve on Wii U. I don't even want to imagine the results.

So you can see - sometimes even talented devs are too restricted with the hardware given to them. Before you easily go blaming all devs for sub-par work and being "lazy", then that would mean Nintendo is the biggest lazy ass developer of them all for not getting any game above 720p on a console they designed.

#91 Posted by Speak_Low (746 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@speak_low: "How in the world would Nintendo, making SM3DW, MK8 and SSBU be making Sega's Sonic Boom?"

Don't ask me. You're the one that made the comment.

"There's already an old thread about this Sonic Boom game and you'll find my old post (unedited) in there where I even mentioned it's being made by Big Red Button."

I'm not going to go find it because I don't actually care that much.

"This coming from a guy who thinks every multiplat is trash"

"but plays them all anyways."

"Games and stares at a monitor more than me."

That's completely baseless and irrelevant.

"How many AAA trailers did you watch today?"

I don't know, not many. It doesn't matter though.

The hell is this? A RollingStone interview?

I'll just go back to skipping over your posts. I don't waste time with unprofitable reading - AKA everything you type. Hilarious that you seem to be reading my posts, though.

#92 Edited by asexualrobot (21 posts) -

^You're a troll, and you can't even do that properly. A charade? As if you'd have ANY credibility.

If the WiiU's hardware were responsible for this crappy game, how would you explain decent, technically proficient games? Sonic Lost World may have had mediocre reviews, but its visuals weren't an issue. You should at least find a well-made Wii U game, THEN criticize its technical limitations. But, even with the WiiU's modest specs, the well-made games look good and work. Thus you return to the Sonic Boom Turd.

I really hope someone isn't paying you to write this stuff. You're just constantly shoveling lousy arguments without regard to their logic.

#93 Posted by Pffrbt (6367 posts) -

The hell is this? A RollingStone interview?

I'll just go back to skipping over your posts. I don't waste time with unprofitable reading - AKA everything you type. Hilarious that you seem to be reading my posts, though.

I'll go back to skipping over your posts as well since they're all literal diarrhea.

#94 Posted by lunar1122 (654 posts) -

MY EYESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

#95 Posted by OhSnapitz (17934 posts) -

They're still making games for the Wii? Color me surprised!!!

#96 Edited by Speak_Low (746 posts) -

@lunar1122 said:

Yes, the exchange with that user above was ugly. He doesn't know how to argue well and used the diarrhea line twice already, thinking he landed a devastating insult on me. What a joke

@asexualrobot said:

^You're a troll, and you can't even do that properly. A charade? As if you'd have ANY credibility.

If the WiiU's hardware were responsible for this crappy game, how would you explain decent, technically proficient games? Sonic Lost World may have had mediocre reviews, but its visuals weren't an issue. You should at least find a well-made Wii U game, THEN criticize its technical limitations. But, even with the WiiU's modest specs, the well-made games look good and work. Thus you return to the Sonic Boom Turd.

I really hope someone isn't paying you to write this stuff. You're just constantly shoveling lousy arguments without regard to their logic.

You're angry because I used Sonic Boom and blamed Nintendo for it. I do blame the devs but there has to be some sympathy for them considering their position - this is their first ever game. How many games has Nintendo, Platinum or Capcom made? Also, Big Red Button doesn't have a huge army of employees like Ubisoft, and this could be their very first time using the CryEngine 3.

If we take this Sonic Boom turd out of it, I'm still not impressed with how the Wii U stacks up to current-gen at all. You are fine with the hardware because you compare it to the Wii, and the Wii U upgrade is enough for you (hence your usage of "modest specs"). To me, those specs don't cut it at all when placed against what I saw today at E3 from upcoming PS4/X1/PC games. Not even close. And that's one of the reasons why devs are ignoring the Wii U - doesn't this bother you at all?

MK8, SSBU, SM3DW may look good enough to you, but those games remain within that light-hearted province of visuals - a certain style that's a bit easier to accomplish and make look good (I mean, look at their round cherubic faces and smooth bodies - not exactly Ryse or Infamous:SS level we're talking here). Now let's see how well the Wii U fares trying to do really heavy, taxing next-gen lifting like Arkham Knight, The Order, Ryse, Rainbow Six Siege, The Division.

If the Wii U was 4GB and had a better CPU/GPU pairing, the graphical tide would immediately rise for all Wii U games across the board. Many games would look so much better; smaller, inexperienced devs like Big Red Button could probably pull off something much better-looking than the current Sonic Boom without overstraining their current development team to death.

Better specs help immensely, and we see exponentially better results. Nintendo is responsible for creating those specs. They are the ones who set the prescribed path for devs, and one of their priorities is to foster a better working environment for these developers. I hold Nintendo accountable if I see more than enough devs suffer too much with hardware restrictions.

Do you got it by now or do I have to keep typing all night

#97 Posted by HighPitcairn (19 posts) -

Sega, What Have You DONE!

#98 Edited by scottpsfan14 (2382 posts) -

Sonic what have they done to you? Sonic franchise is fucked. Generations let it get it's head above water for a few seconds but it's well and truly sunk now :( First 3 is where it's at.

#99 Edited by asexualrobot (21 posts) -

@lunar1122 said:

Yes, the exchange with that user above was ugly. He doesn't know how to argue well and used the diarrhea line twice already, thinking he landed a devastating insult on me. What a joke

@asexualrobot said:

1. You don't have a point

2. You don't acknowledge anyone else's point

3. You're too stupid to be convincing

#100 Posted by Speak_Low (746 posts) -

@speak_low said:

@lunar1122 said:

@asexualrobot said:

1. You don't have a point

2. You don't acknowledge anyone else's point

3. You're too stupid to be convincing

If you don't like my posts, my opinions and POV, then don't read my posts.

Gamespot, please give me an Ignore Feature, so I don't keep getting notifications from posters like these. Waste of time