Someone offers you a billion dollars to stop playing games forever. Take it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#351 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
To you it's insignificant, but to me it's a beautiful artform and I love it.gamecubepad
You just described how I feel about gaming. That said, there aren't many things in this world I wouldn't give up for that amount of money. In terms of hobbies, the only one I would consider, even seriously, not giving up, would be the ability to play music. And even then, I still would probably give it up for that much money. I don't think you guys grasp just how much one BILLION dollars is. Most companies in business today aren't even worth that much.
#352 Posted by Jonwh18 (9350 posts) -

Yes, I would take it.

Then I would have the person killed off and then build an new identity for myself and play games anyway.

#353 Posted by AcidSoldner (7051 posts) -
Hell yeah I would. A billion dollars is an insane amount of money. I could spend the rest of my days traveling, staying in luxury ass hotels, partying, and doing all kinds of other sh!t that would occupy my time. I spend most of my free time playing video games but Goddamn would I give it all up for a 1 billion f*cking dollars.
#354 Posted by Jonwh18 (9350 posts) -

YEah a lot of the people int this thread don't realise how much a billion dollars is.

Answer these few questions.

When given the choice to go out with friends or game which do you do?

When given the choice to go on vaction or game what do you do?

Would you rather play games and explore virtual worlds or would you rather spend your time constantly visiting real amazing places?

F*** games do stuff everyday.

For me gaming is something to do when I have nothign better to do with the excetpion of a very small number of games.

#355 Posted by BrunoBRS (73260 posts) -
[QUOTE="gamecubepad"]To you it's insignificant, but to me it's a beautiful artform and I love it.Zeviander
You just described how I feel about gaming. That said, there aren't many things in this world I wouldn't give up for that amount of money. In terms of hobbies, the only one I would consider, even seriously, not giving up, would be the ability to play music. And even then, I still would probably give it up for that much money. I don't think you guys grasp just how much one BILLION dollars is. Most companies in business today aren't even worth that much.

no, we do grasp. question is, why the f*ck would i need so much?
#356 Posted by BrunoBRS (73260 posts) -

YEah a lot of the people int this thread don't realise how much a billion dollars is.

Answer these few questions.

When given the choice to go out with friends or game which do you do?

When given the choice to go on vaction or game what do you do?

Would you rather play games and explore virtual worlds or would you rather spend your time constantly visiting real amazing places?

F*** games do stuff everyday.

For me gaming is something to do when I have nothign better to do with the excetpion of a very small number of games.

Jonwh18
usually when i hang out with friends, we do it to play games, or talk about games for most part. it depends on how long the vacation is, but i already can do both often enough to be satisfied, why would i throw away one of the options? i already do both.
#357 Posted by AcidSoldner (7051 posts) -
[QUOTE="Zeviander"][QUOTE="gamecubepad"]To you it's insignificant, but to me it's a beautiful artform and I love it.BrunoBRS

You're right, you don't need that much but given a week to live in the lifestyle that 1 billion dollars would offer, I'm certain you would drop video games for the rest of your life without a second thought.
#358 Posted by GamingVengeance (1842 posts) -
nope, id turn it down. cant put a price on my favorite hobby
#359 Posted by Jonwh18 (9350 posts) -

That or I would take the moeny and "test" games and review them for my job whihc I would no longer need as a billionare

#360 Posted by CanYouDiglt (7306 posts) -
Just think of all the new hobbies you can have such as counting your insane crapload of money while laughing like a crazy person or laughing at all the poor people which would be 99.9% of the world compared to you since not many have over a billion.
#361 Posted by 1080pOnly (1986 posts) -

Sure I'd take the money.

I'd then buy 350km2 of land, employ a bunch of hobos to dress as zombies and play real-life DayZ instead.

#362 Posted by svenus97 (2289 posts) -

What the hell would I do with a billion dollars?

#363 Posted by Nintatterdemon (69 posts) -
In a second.
#364 Posted by svenus97 (2289 posts) -
[QUOTE="gamecubepad"]You probably wouldn't understand.Zeviander
What a cop out. No, I wouldn't understand how someone in their right mind could refuse such a life-changing deal, that for anyone, would make our hobby relatively insignificant.

What exactly would you do with a billion dollars? Buy a 50 room house just so you could say you have a 50 room house, have 7 cars just for the hell of it?
#365 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
question is, why the f*ck would i need so much?BrunoBRS
Why not? Take $100 million for yourself and set up $100 trust funds for the next 9 generations of your family. You don't gane to use all the money yourself. It's why I've been saying several times already, "think about how many lives you could change". If I won/was given that kind of cash, I can guarantee you most of my close family and friends would benefit, as would my community.
#366 Posted by 1080pOnly (1986 posts) -

What the hell would I do with a billion dollars?

svenus97

You could buy that PC you're so sorely wanting.

#367 Posted by JohnF111 (14051 posts) -
Yes I would. Then I'd pay a good team of lawyers to find a flaw in the agreement and grant me my right to play games again.
#368 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
What exactly would you do with a billion dollars? Buy a 50 room house just so you could say you have a 50 room house, have 7 cars just for the hell of it? svenus97
I've already said in this thread, but I'll reiterate because I love the fantasy. I would build my dream job. Build a business from the ground up. Then, when I get bored, I sell control and use that equity to build another. My dream job right now is a train engineer (dream making it won't ever happen, not if I want a family and a social life). Do you know how much a brand new GEVO locomotive costs? About $2 million... EACH... with the right options. A single train usually has 2-3 rolling stock per trip. If I'm running a short line railway on a daily basis, I'd probably need a fleet of at least 8-10 locomotives. That's $20 million right there... not including other staff (conductors, shunters, yard staff), fuel and especially maintenance. Plus, I'd either have to buy existing track, or build my own. I wouldn't be surprised to see a kilometer of fresh track costing $500,000-1 million to build. When all is said and done, I could probably spend $100-200 million without even thinking about it in the first day. Then, what about my free time? I love cars. I would probably have a warehouse full of them. At least 100 or more. And at anywhere from $100,000 to $2,000,000 a unit, I could spend another hundred million easily. House? Please... It would of modest size (probably 2500 sq. ft.), but it would be packed with all the best materials and workmanship, and be on an enormous tract of land. And with all those cars, I'd have to build a race track to use them properly. Those run upwards of $50 million to start. I could spend a billion dollars quite easily. But I would invest most of it, so that I wouldn't lose any of it, rather, it would only appreciate in value over time (especially the cars). The railway? It would generate a HUGE revenue stream that I could invest in further business ventures.
#369 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

I definitely understand why someone would say yes, but I think many people dismiss the question too quickly. I mean my life, bonding with my brother, and the fun I have now and will continue to have is worth a lot to me. What's the point in living if you are not doing the things you want?

#370 Posted by ryangcnx-2 (1208 posts) -

It would be tough, the sensible thing to do would be to give it up. The problem is, it's one of the things I really really enjoy, thinking about not experiencing FFX or Mass Effect, Golden Sun, Zelda, Dragon Age and Kotor and so forth makes me sad. It would gaurentee me free time and pretty much all the money I need, but the thing I would want to use that free time with would be forbidden.

Sure there are other things to do, and I would probobly take the offer, but I can't say I wouldn't pause before answering.

Now had you worded it with if I had to stop listening to good music like Classic Rock, 60's and 70's Heavy Metal and such and forever just listen to rap, then I 100% without a doubt would turn down the money in a heartbeat. I would consider that a life of torture

#371 Posted by themagicbum9720 (6505 posts) -

I'd take it and then start playing games again, when you're rich you don't have to live by the rules.

NoirLamia777
same thing i would do.
#372 Posted by BrunoBRS (73260 posts) -
[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="Zeviander"] You just described how I feel about gaming. That said, there aren't many things in this world I wouldn't give up for that amount of money. In terms of hobbies, the only one I would consider, even seriously, not giving up, would be the ability to play music. And even then, I still would probably give it up for that much money. I don't think you guys grasp just how much one BILLION dollars is. Most companies in business today aren't even worth that much.

You're right, you don't need that much but given a week to live in the lifestyle that 1 billion dollars would offer, I'm certain you would drop video games for the rest of your life without a second thought.

considering how my lifestyIe wouldn't change, i don't see why. i'd still finish my college degree, i'd still go for a masters degree, i'd still work, i'd still play games and hang out with friends on my free time, and i'd still travel when i'm on vacations. i really don't need more than that.
#373 Posted by MetroidPrimePwn (12399 posts) -

Yeah.

I could make Firefly season 2 happen.

And some more Space: Above and Beyond.

#374 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -

You know, the things I enjoy most in games are things that would be impossible or at least highly illegal outside of them. Even with $1 billion I couldn't explore Termina or Vvardenfell, or snipe Russian ultranationalists in Pripyat, or bend the laws of physics to solve puzzles, so at some point the only fantasies I could live out are ones that involve (realistic) fast cars, sex, and capitalism, which aren't very interesting to me in game form anyway.

#375 Posted by getyeryayasout (7165 posts) -
Even though this is a gaming site I'm surprised at all the ¯No's¯. If you spread 100k in 100 dollar bills in front of me right now, I'd smash my 360 and PS3 together like cymbals and never look back. Throw in another 10k and I'll punch my mama in the mouth. I got rent to pay.
#376 Posted by illmatic87 (15156 posts) -
Even If I was a millionaire, I wont be playing games. I'd be travelling, doing expensive leisure activities regularly, blowing 4-5 digits on night outs and making a darn good progress on my bucket list. i'll probably miss it, sure, but the world just has alot more stories to tell, adventures to experience, things to watch, thrills on offer and several of my lifelong dreams to fullfill (which unfortunately has a pretty hefty $ to it). A billion? It will buy me alot of time to accomplish so much, both personal and to friends and family around me; instead of whittling exhausting hours away at work for the money for that stingy holiday leave I'll potentially be getting, or the weekends that never feel like they're long enough.
#377 Posted by gamecubepad (6095 posts) -

[QUOTE="gamecubepad"]To you it's insignificant, but to me it's a beautiful artform and I love it.Zeviander

I totally understand where you're coming from. Given the possibilities that money like that would open up, a great deal of people would go for it.

It's hard to describe without a wall 'o text, but I just feel content with how things are. I know I'll have the money to go on cool family vacations. I'm sure the opportunity to volunteer my skillsets to help others will never go away.

Games are just something amazing to me. Different types of gameplay, level design, A.I. variation. It's like looking into a mirror and seeing my uniqueness manifest in digital form. I then apply that to my life and realize it's all about how you play the game. My style may not be as profitable, or efficient, but it's high-minded and pretty damn badass imo.