Someone offers you a billion dollars to stop playing games forever. Take it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#301 Posted by the_bi99man (11054 posts) -

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

Ok first off do you know what Emo actually is?

Secodnly, how is Dark Souls 2 "another emo game"? please explain

JameMcCabe

Don't engage him. He's clearly a troll alt, who will hopefully disappear soon enough.

I left this thread awhile ago, you can get off my dick now. I know it's very appealing to you but you need to know when to stop and relax.

Haha. fantastic. I'm perfectly calm. You're the one getting worked up here. Maybe you need to learn when to stop and relax.

#302 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

Hmm...I don't know I love games as it's my favorite past time and it kept me out of trouble as a kid. But with a billion dollars I could do a lot of good with it, I would invest some of it into businesses to keep my capital going, and then I would build my own hospital that would treat people for free that even if they don't have health insurance.

#303 Posted by Jankarcop (9873 posts) -

Yes i would get the best hookers and buy them for a life time each.

#304 Posted by the_bi99man (11054 posts) -

Yes i would get the best hookers and buy them for a life time each.

Jankarcop

You should probably just stick to renting. You wouldn't want the best hookers for their whole lives. That investment would lose all value after a few years, tops.

#305 Posted by gamecubepad (6144 posts) -

[QUOTE="gamecubepad"]Life is defined by enduring and overcoming hardship.Zeviander
What bullsh!t is this?

This is the spiritual fru fru crap we tell ourselves to help us cope with our jealousy of what others have that we cannot have.

As if a powerful belief in one's self and spirituality can be wittled down to a need to cope with jealousy.

I wouldn't take the money because my impact on the world and the enjoyment I experience in life isn't tied to cash, and it's certainly not tied to the need to take a free pass and ditch something I love. I feel sorry that you have such a cynical and shallow outlook on life.

I don't speak from a point of want, or weakness like that. I'm proven in good and bad situations and wouldn't need to sell out if I had the desire to possess $1 billion. I'd just get it on my own terms.

To each their own, though. Games are inspiring and fun to me. I'll game 'til the day I die.

I would take the billion and hopefully have you as a friendspiderluck

Shucks. Thanks man.:P

#306 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
[QUOTE="gamecubepad"]As if a powerful belief in one's self and spirituality can be wittled down to a need to cope with jealousy. I wouldn't take the money because my impact on the world and the enjoyment I experience in life isn't tied to cash, and it's certainly not tied to the need to take a free pass and ditch something I love. I feel sorry that you have such a cynical and shallow outlook on life. I don't speak from a point of want, or weakness like that. I'm proven in good and bad situations and wouldn't need to sell out if I had the desire to possess $1 billion. I'd just get it on my own terms. To each their own, though. Games are inspiring and fun to me. I'll game 'til the day I die.

If you were such a self-made, satisfied individual, with a mind for helping others, you would take the money, abide by the agreement, and just give it all away. You must be in such an extreme state of self-denial to think you couldn't even give up a mere hobby to help possibly millions of people.
#307 Posted by gamecubepad (6144 posts) -

If you were such a self-made, satisfied individual, with a mind for helping others, you would take the money, abide by the agreement, and just give it all away. You must be in such an extreme state of self-denial to think you couldn't even give up a mere hobby to help possibly millions of people. Zeviander

Money doesn't define my impact on the world, and I don't live my life out of some obligation to the greater good. Anything meaniful I do is driven by passionate beliefs. I also have a passion for video games, so it's more than a hobby for me. It's my thing.

You probably wouldn't understand.

#308 Posted by beganoo (1638 posts) -

I'll take the money and play games secrecy duh...

#309 Posted by KungfuKitten (21204 posts) -

I would take it and start making games.

#310 Posted by majestix1988 (726 posts) -

become assassin...create a hidden area to play games on your house

#311 Posted by lamprey263 (24443 posts) -
a billion, I'd take that guess I'll be forced by boredom to take up human hunting though
#312 Posted by david_lck (3198 posts) -
Nah, money isn't everything.
#313 Posted by dramaybaz (6020 posts) -

A billion dollars? Tax free?

Hell yes I would stop playing games to live a life of absolute leisure until the day I die.

DarkLink77
Hell even with tax.
#314 Posted by Lucianu (9489 posts) -

Who tha hell wouldn't quit any hobby, or work, for 1 billion $? That's so much money enough for 10 full blown lifetimes.

Hell, 5 million $ is enough for me. But one thousand milliondollars? F*ck me..

#315 Posted by dommeus (9394 posts) -

A billion dollars? Tax free?

Hell yes I would stop playing games to live a life of absolute leisure until the day I die.

DarkLink77
Tax free or not, that money is mine. Take my games. Child's play...
#316 Posted by UnrealLegend (5888 posts) -

Probably... it would be sad to give up my favourite hobby, but it would be selfish to refuse a billion dollars.

Also, I could probably find new hobbies.

#317 Posted by NirdBerd (2116 posts) -

No, I would rather play games.

#318 Posted by Twin-Blade (6795 posts) -

Yes. I'd give up gaming to set up my family for generations to come.. And I'd also buy a football club.

#319 Posted by Senor_Kami (8437 posts) -

Yes. In an instant. I already go for month long stretches of not playing games so I could totally do this.

#320 Posted by JasonDarksavior (9323 posts) -
Yep, I can do a lot and occupy myself with that money ... Maybe take up golf or something. Buy myself a decent car.
#321 Posted by parkurtommo (27371 posts) -

Hell no.

#322 Posted by SectorSix6 (204 posts) -

I probably wouldn't take the money. My freedom to game is way more valuable than a billion bucks!

Boostinsane
Dont lie, if someone were to offer you a BILLION dollars you know damn well you would take it. As would anyone else saying "no". as for me - F*ck yea i would take it.
#323 Posted by SuperFlakeman (7342 posts) -

Thinking selfishly no, it's my passion. I'm perfectly content living a normal life.

But I would seriously contemplate it, because with that money I can invest / donate for greater good. Not talking about kids in Africa, more like science/tech research and to prevent global warming.

Obviously I would have to sacrifice gaming...

#324 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
You probably wouldn't understand.gamecubepad
What a cop out. No, I wouldn't understand how someone in their right mind could refuse such a life-changing deal, that for anyone, would make our hobby relatively insignificant.
#325 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38217 posts) -

[QUOTE="gamecubepad"]You probably wouldn't understand.Zeviander
What a cop out. No, I wouldn't understand how someone in their right mind could refuse such a life-changing deal, that for anyone, would make our hobby relatively insignificant.

Because a lot of people here only have one hobby and that's gaming. I have several hobbies I would like to do and a tonne of money like that could enable me to do. I said before that I love gaming and it's my favourite past time now, but for that amount of money I could give it up and pursue other things in life. Sure, I would miss gaming and likely regret my decision once or twice, but I would loathe myself for turning down such a disgusting amount of money.

That amount of money would not only set me up for life, but my wife and kids too

#326 Posted by Mystery_Writer (7957 posts) -
:( but.. i wanna be rich so my life would be all play & no work.
#327 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18414 posts) -
I wouldn't take it.. what would I spend the money on?
#328 Posted by gamecubepad (6144 posts) -

[QUOTE="Zeviander"][QUOTE="gamecubepad"]You probably wouldn't understand.seanmcloughlin

Because a lot of people here only have one hobby and that's gaming. I have several hobbies I would like to do and a tonne of money like that could enable me to do. I said before that I love gaming and it's my favourite past time now, but for that amount of money I could give it up and pursue other things in life. Sure, I would miss gaming and likely regret my decision once or twice, but I would loathe myself for turning down such a disgusting amount of money.

That amount of money would not only set me up for life, but my wife and kids too

What you guys don't understand is my love for the game. To you it's insignificant, but to me it's a beautiful artform and I love it. I fight for things I love, and won't sell them out for something as petty as cash.

We're different in that my dreams and aspirations are no longer tied to money or possessions. I have a beautiful wife, great kids, good job. All that's left to advance my own artistry.

#329 Posted by BrunoBRS (73263 posts) -

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="Zeviander"] What a cop out. No, I wouldn't understand how someone in their right mind could refuse such a life-changing deal, that for anyone, would make our hobby relatively insignificant.gamecubepad

What you guys don't understand is my love for the game. To you it's insignificant, but to me it's a beautiful artform and I love it. I fight for things I love, and won't sell them out for something as petty as cash.

We're different in that my dreams and aspirations are no longer tied to money or possessions. I have a beautiful wife, great kids, good job. All that's left to advance my own artistry.

nah, i think sean gets it (we had a looooooooong talk about it yesterday lol). it's a matter of priorities. sean thinks he could easily live his life without games, because even though he'd miss games, he has plenty of other hobbies he could take on (especially when you don't have to worry about costs) and enjoy just as much. you, like me, like games too much to exchange for a random sum of money, no matter how high. from a personal standpoint, that money would be redundant, since you can't spend it on what you enjoy the most.
#330 Posted by Sushiglutton (5356 posts) -
I would take the money in a heartbeat. Then I would play real life games poker, golf etc for my gaming needs.
#331 Posted by silversix_ (14990 posts) -
wow with that money i could afford to go outside my cave.
#332 Posted by LLYNCES (381 posts) -

Nah brah, that 1 billion dollars can get fvcked, I aint ever giving up video games.

#333 Posted by Microsoft1234 (7674 posts) -
yep.
#334 Posted by gamecubepad (6144 posts) -

you, like me, like games too much to exchange for a random sum of money, no matter how high. from a personal standpoint, that money would be redundant, since you can't spend it on what you enjoy the most.BrunoBRS

Definitely.

I just asked myself, "Can I be happy without $1 billion?" Yes. "Can I be happy without video games?" No.

It's that simple for me.

#335 Posted by asl2006 (188 posts) -

I probably wouldn't take the money. My freedom to game is way more valuable than a billion bucks!

Boostinsane

By the time your balls drop, I'm sure you will have changed your mind. . .

#336 Posted by CanYouDiglt (7519 posts) -
All the people saying no are crazy. I LOVE gaming but I would be to busy with this  or this  To even remember what games are.
#337 Posted by spike6958 (4881 posts) -

I'd take the money, then pay to have that person killed, and go back to playing games.

#338 Posted by Ballroompirate (23279 posts) -

If I took the money, could I pay people to play/beat games while I watch lol?

#339 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38217 posts) -

[QUOTE="gamecubepad"]

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

BrunoBRS

nah, i think sean gets it (we had a looooooooong talk about it yesterday lol). it's a matter of priorities. sean thinks he could easily live his life without games, because even though he'd miss games, he has plenty of other hobbies he could take on (especially when you don't have to worry about costs) and enjoy just as much. you, like me, like games too much to exchange for a random sum of money, no matter how high. from a personal standpoint, that money would be redundant, since you can't spend it on what you enjoy the most.

Pretty much.

Trying to tar everyone with the same brush is also pointless. we're all different from each other and it's fine for some people to turn it down, I myself, would not. I can think of far too many things I could do with the money and if giving up ONE of my favourite hobbies is the way to get it, then so be it.

Also cash isn't petty, it's one of the most fundamental things a human needs in their existance. How much cash is a different story. There are plenty of things I wouldn't trade for money though.

#340 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38217 posts) -

Ballroompirate

there would be nothing stopping you from talking about games or watching them or researching them. Just not allowed play them yourself

#341 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38217 posts) -

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]you, like me, like games too much to exchange for a random sum of money, no matter how high. from a personal standpoint, that money would be redundant, since you can't spend it on what you enjoy the most.gamecubepad

Definitely.

I just asked myself, "Can I be happy without $1 billion?" Yes. "Can I be happy without video games?" No.

It's that simple for me.

But when it comes to money,especially an amount so huge, it's never as clear cut as that.

#342 Posted by BrunoBRS (73263 posts) -

[QUOTE="gamecubepad"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]you, like me, like games too much to exchange for a random sum of money, no matter how high. from a personal standpoint, that money would be redundant, since you can't spend it on what you enjoy the most.seanmcloughlin

Definitely.

It's that simple for me.

But when it comes to money,especially an amount so huge, it's never as clear cut as that.

i don't know why it wouldn't be. you can be happy without a billion dollars. hell, you ARE happy without 1 billion dollars.
#343 Posted by gamecubepad (6144 posts) -

seanmcloughlin

Here's the thing...it's not about the money for me. The question is not "How much am I willing to give up for $1 billion?" It's "Do I give a f*ck about having $1 billion?"

Looking at the things I enjoy doing, I don't see how that much money would change my life over having even 1/10,000th of that.

#344 Posted by amaneuvering (4016 posts) -

I'd take it.

#345 Posted by Ballroompirate (23279 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ballroompirate"]

seanmcloughlin

there would be nothing stopping you from talking about games or watching them or researching them. Just not allowed play them yourself

Then where's my billion dollars? lol

#346 Posted by DISSESHOWEDO (1775 posts) -

Will never accept ! Taking something away from me is like taking part of my freedom, and no amount of money can justify that in my mind !

#347 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

yes. only because i would build REAL games in the the real world....

other then that. nope

#348 Posted by BrunoBRS (73263 posts) -

yes. only because i would build REAL games in the the real world....

other then that. nope

k2theswiss
it's really hard to make a game without actually playing it. a good one would likely be impossible.
#349 Posted by BlbecekBobecek (2695 posts) -

I wouldnt take it. I never wanted anything for free. I can make my money for a living. Its a pain sometimes, but its my money and my life. Wouldnt take anything from anybody and especially wouldnt let anybody tell me what I can or can not do.

#350 Posted by HaloPimp978 (7315 posts) -

That would be tough to give up video games but dammit I would take it.