Someone offers you a billion dollars to stop playing games forever. Take it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

[QUOTE="PhazonBlazer"]

Sure, then I'd build my own Animus so I can go relive my Asassin ancestors' memories.

Snugenz

Would be funny if you spent the whole billion on the Animus and it turned out your ancestors' were chimney sweeps :P

You act as if that would be a bad thing.
OgreB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#102 OgreB
Member since 2004 • 2523 Posts
I'd give up gaming for way less then that.
Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

[QUOTE="Snugenz"]

[QUOTE="PhazonBlazer"]

Sure, then I'd build my own Animus so I can go relive my Asassin ancestors' memories.

freedomfreak

Would be funny if you spent the whole billion on the Animus and it turned out your ancestors' were chimney sweeps :P

You act as if that would be a bad thing.

Choreographed dancing gets old, yes even when everyone is a sweep with cool brushes on roofs.

Sali217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#104 Sali217
Member since 2012 • 1301 Posts
Thinking about it, I don't think I could give up music for any amount of money. Which I guess might be odd. Movies I've already given up, don't care for the medium at all.
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 freedomfreak  Online
Choreographed dancing gets old, yes even when everyone is a sweep with cool brushes on roofs.Snugenz
Guh. Still beats the Desmond missions.
streetridaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#106 streetridaz
Member since 2003 • 3276 Posts

A billion dollars? Tax free?

Hell yes I would stop playing games to live a life of absolute leisure until the day I die.

DarkLink77
LOL why would it matter if it was taxed. You wouldn't stop gaming for like 500-600 million after all taxes were taken from that money. I would quit gaming for sure
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#107 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

Choreographed dancing gets old, yes even when everyone is a sweep with cool brushes on roofs.

Snugenz

You have a billion dollars.

You HAVE no limits.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#108 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

[QUOTE="Snugenz"]Choreographed dancing gets old, yes even when everyone is a sweep with cool brushes on roofs.freedomfreak
Guh. Still beats the Desmond missions.

What if my ancestor was a chimney sweep Assassin!

I'd be all "Sweep your chimneys sir?" and when they least expect it I'd stab them with my hidden blade that's inside of my sweeping stick thingy.

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#109 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

Because money can't bring happiness? Gaming isn't the only thing that brings me joy in life.freedomfreak

Selling out for money never brings long-lasting happiness. Look at all the celebs who OD and commit suicide when their pockets are lined with cash.

Games have provided me with more happiness than anything else in my life. Growing up getting a NES and playing with the family. My dad getting us a Amiga 1000 and having my interest in games drive my desire to learn about technology. Playing Goldeneye tournaments with friends. LAN parties for CS and Q3. Playing COD and Halo, drinking beers all night with my buds. Playing Wii Sports with my family.

Now watching how much my kids love gaming, even the old-school 2D stuff like SMB and Sonic, and getting to be a god in their eyes when I crush Elites on Legendary.

I wouldn't give up the 1000s of hours of happiness games have given me for anything. Same goes for music, film, and basketball. I'd die before I let someone take away my right to blaze up, put on some beats, and shoot hoops in the driveway.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#110 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

I probably wouldn't take the money. My freedom to game is way more valuable than a billion bucks!

Boostinsane
I'd stop playing. Open my own night club and strip club. lol!! That would keep my mind off of games for long time.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

A billion dollars? Tax free?

Hell yes I would stop playing games to live a life of absolute leisure until the day I die.

streetridaz
LOL why would it matter if it was taxed. You wouldn't stop gaming for like 500-600 million after all taxes were taken from that money. I would quit gaming for sure

Because there's a significant difference between 500 million and a billion? I mean, I'd say yes either way, but still.
Sali217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Sali217
Member since 2012 • 1301 Posts
Look at all the celebs who OD and commit suicide when their pockets are lined with cash.gamecubepad
They don't have a BILLION dollars, I don't think people really understand how much that actually is.
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 freedomfreak  Online

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Because money can't bring happiness? Gaming isn't the only thing that brings me joy in life.gamecubepad

Selling out for money never brings long-lasting happiness. Look at all the celebs who OD and commit suicide when their pockets are lined with cash.

Games have provided me with more happiness than anything else in my life. Growing up getting a NES and playing with the family. My dad getting us a Amiga 1000 and having my interest in games drive my desire to learn about technology. Playing Goldeneye tournaments with friends. LAN parties for CS and Q3. Playing COD and Halo, drinking beers all night with my buds. Playing Wii Sports with my family.

Now watching how much my kids love gaming, even the old-school 2D stuff like SMB and Sonic, and getting to be a god in their eyes when I crush Elites on Legendary.

I wouldn't give up the 1000s of hours of happiness games have given me for anything. Same goes for music, film, and basketball. I'd die before I let someone take away my right to blaze up, put on some beats, and shoot hoops in the driveway.

Because I'm probably gonna OD when I have a billion dollars? I'm sorry. I'm not the kind of guy that believes money can't bring happiness
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Goyoshi12

[QUOTE="gamecubepad"]Look at all the celebs who OD and commit suicide when their pockets are lined with cash.Sali217
They don't have a BILLION dollars, I don't think people really understand how much that actually is.

Could say the same for a lot of people here. Either way, they still have a ton of money.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 DarkLink77

I don't buy this "money can't buy happiness" crap. The only people who say that are people who don't have money.

If you have a billion dollars, and you can't figure out how to use it to do or buy something that makes you happy, then you have serious issues.

Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Goyoshi12

[QUOTE="gamecubepad"]

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Because money can't bring happiness? Gaming isn't the only thing that brings me joy in life.freedomfreak

Because I'm probably gonna OD when I have a billion dollars? I'm sorry. I'm not the kind of guy that believes money can't bring happiness

In technical terms....it kind of doesn't. Admittedly, what got me happieness via video games was money but what gave me the happieness was playing those games. Money I see is just a helpful bridge towards that happieness, the real joy comes from the experience and not the fact that I could purcahse it. Of course there are probably people out there who just piss themselves with happieness when they see their checks and the money they have; I'm not one of those people.

Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Goyoshi12

I don't buy this "money can't buy happiness" crap. The only people who say that are people who don't have money.

If you have a billion dollars, and you can't figure out how to use it to do or buy something that makes you happy, then you have serious issues.

DarkLink77

It's not that I can't figure out how to use it it's figuring out what to do with it afterwards.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 freedomfreak  Online

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="gamecubepad"]

Goyoshi12

In technical terms....it kind of doesn't. Admittedly, what got me happieness via video games was money but what gave me the happieness was playing those games. Money I see is just a helpful bridge towards that happieness, the real joy comes from the experience and not the fact that I could purcahse it. Of course there are probably people out there who just piss themselves with happieness when they see their checks and the money they have; I'm not one of those people.

That's how I feel. Like I said, gaming isn't the only thing that could bring me happiness. Travelling the world would bring me more joy than games. I just don't have the money for it. I feel that in that way, money can bring me happiness.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Goyoshi12

It's not that I can't figure out how to use it it's what figuring out what to do with it afterwards.

Yeah, but seriously, who would honestly have that problem?
TheFlameProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 TheFlameProof
Member since 2007 • 438 Posts

DarkLink77
Little money & Complete Freedom > Alot of Money & Restriction on Freedom
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

TheFlameProof

Which does not apply here. Unless you have an unhealthy attachment to video games.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Goyoshi12

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

It's not that I can't figure out how to use it it's what figuring out what to do with it afterwards.

Porbably anyone who would complete their goal early would be my guess.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

Goyoshi12

Get a new goal? :?
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Goyoshi12

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"] Because I'm probably gonna OD when I have a billion dollars? I'm sorry. I'm not the kind of guy that believes money can't bring happinessfreedomfreak

That's how I feel. Like I said, gaming isn't the only thing that could bring me happiness. Travelling the world would bring me more joy than games. I just don't have the money for it. I feel that in that way, money can bring me happiness.

I understand that but the problem that I have with that is there is an end point to that; once you've gone to all the places you've wanted to be and maybe live in a short or long period of time, what then? Of course, games have an end point as well (everything has an end point) but being able to travel around the world I feel could end faster given how much money and freedom you have.

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

I get this strange feeling, while reading posts in here, that some of you are almost blaming video games for your shortcomings.

Like somehow your life will be better with money, and no video games.

Do you guys doubt your ambitions so much that you think you could never be successful enough to live well while still playing video games?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 freedomfreak  Online

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

Goyoshi12

I understand that but the problem that I have with that is there is an end point to that; once you've gone to all the places you've wanted to be and maybe live in a short or long period of time, what then? Of course, games have an end point as well (everything has an end point) but being able to travel around the world I feel could end faster given how much money and freedom you have.

Well, that's true. It is a lot easier carrying a billion dollars around. But it would still bring me happiness. Not to mention travelling around isn't the only thing you could do with money.
TheFlameProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 TheFlameProof

[QUOTE="TheFlameProof"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

Which does not apply here. Unless you have an unhealthy attachment to video games.

All I am saying is the human psyche doesn't work how you think it works. If you have everything you want EXCEPT video games, that want of video games is going to make you extremely unhappy. What makes this unhappiness worse is that you have nothing to dwell on BUT video games because you would have had everything else and video games is the only thing you don't have so you'll only think about that more than anything else.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 freedomfreak  Online
>Do you guys doubt your ambitions so much that you think you could never be successful enough to live well while still playing video games?Ly_the_Fairy
Atm I wouldn't mind the boost. Although that's a bit on the personal side.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#129 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

I get this strange feeling, while reading posts in here, that some of you are almost blaming video games for your shortcomings.

Do you guys doubt your ambitions so much that you think you could never be successful enough to live well while still playing video games?

Ly_the_Fairy
There's living well. And then there's a billion dollars. I would do many, many things for $1,000,000,000.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Goyoshi12

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Yeah, but seriously, who would honestly have that problem?DarkLink77

Get a new goal? :?

Like what? If my goal was to travel around the world and I did that early on in my stage of richness then...what will I do? I have a billion dollars, the only goal I could see is just be a film junkie and that's it; I have no need for a job anymore.

I guess I could try and take over the world but I'm to self conscious for that so....nah. I bet you could though. :)

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts
I would do a lot worse things then stop gaming for a billion.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"][QUOTE="Boostinsane"] What?!? Why are you guys so quick to give up your favorite hobby? Isn't life all about the simple joys and freedoms and not about money?GreekGameManiac

It's their favorite hobby because they don't have a billion dollars.

In all seriousess,i don't think i would take it.

Well I would text you from my 200 foot yacht on the weekends to laugh at you while the playboy bunnies go skinny dipping.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#133 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
With a billion dollars, I could recreate events from particular games in real life. I honestly think anyone who wouldn't take the money is seriously f*cked up in the head. That is a gross amount of money that would make your grandchildren rich beyond their wildest dreams. People work their asses off for 45 years to make a million... I'd give up a lot of traditional hobbies for that kind of money. I could get into more expensive ones (hell, instead of model trains, I could build a private railway and own my own goddamn train).
Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

DarkLink77

Mo' money mo' problems.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

This is a question?

I'll join the huge group that said yes I guess. With that much money I can make a ton even with low interest and do whatever the hell I want with the 10 or so million I would give myself. Then the next generation of my family can live how they want as well from it.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

Blabadon
There's living well. And then there's a billion dollars. I would do many, many things for $1,000,000,000.

Pretty much this.
Chuubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Chuubby
Member since 2012 • 251 Posts

No. Theres only so much things money can buy. :)

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Slow_Show

Mo' money mo' problems.

Did you lose another bet? :P
HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts

yes.

I will make games.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

Chuubby

At least you are noble about it.

Still man... that would just be selifsh to your family and to yourself for the most part.

moistsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 moistsandwich
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I already stopped playing games and wasn't offered anything. So I guess my answer et cetera.themajormayor

So your presence here just became 10 to the power of 5 times more pathetic.

Why visit a site on a regular basis when you are not involved in the activity that said site exists for.

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Ly_the_Fairy

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

Blabadon

And I'm sure you could do just about anything you want with a fraction of a billion dollars.

Even the people who say they would travel the world could do so with a few thousand dollars.

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#144 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

Because I'm probably gonna OD when I have a billion dollars? I'm sorry. I'm not the kind of guy that believes money can't bring happinessfreedomfreak

Life is defined by enduring and overcoming hardship. To have a "free pass" handed to you on the basis of selling out something you love to do is definitely indicative of the personality that, once rich, would sell out other things you love for some nose candy, bottle of brandy, and cheap women.

I'm married with kids, rarely have any substantial amount of disposable income, but there's not much I haven't done, or can't do without "1 beeillion dollars". I can still drive fast, ride mountain bikes on Dread & Terror, shoot guns, go camping.

I'm a hardcore gamer to the 3rd degree. I wouldn't give up Nintendo games for chump change like that. I define wealth and happiness differently, not just by the bottom line.

---

Name some things $1 billion would get you that can't be experienced with much less money.

TheFlameProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 TheFlameProof

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]I already stopped playing games and wasn't offered anything. So I guess my answer et cetera.moistsandwich

So your presence here just became 10 to the power of 5 times more pathetic.

Why visit a site on a regular basis when you are not involved in the activity that said site exists for.

Because he's having withdrawals. :P
Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

Ly_the_Fairy

Um, yes? Even as someone who was regularly told they're a special and unique snowflake and mostly still believes it, I know I ain't gonna pull down eccentric millionaire/billionaire money. And I would much rather be able to dive into a Scrooge McDuck pool-vault of money than play video games.

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

Chuubby
When talking about that much money then there is not much you can not get with money.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="TheFlameProof"] Little money & Complete Freedom > Alot of Money & Restriction on FreedomTheFlameProof

All I am saying is the human psyche doesn't work how you think it works. If you have everything you want EXCEPT video games, that want of video games is going to make you extremely unhappy. What makes this unhappiness worse is that you have nothing to dwell on BUT video games because you would have had everything else and video games is the only thing you don't have so you'll only think about that more than anything else.

I don't think it works like that, either. :|
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Goyoshi12

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"] That's how I feel. Like I said, gaming isn't the only thing that could bring me happiness. Travelling the world would bring me more joy than games. I just don't have the money for it. I feel that in that way, money can bring me happiness.freedomfreak

Well, that's true. It is a lot easier carrying a billion dollars around. But it would still bring me happiness. Not to mention travelling around isn't the only thing you could do with money.

Perhaps, I still have much to learn about all those other things in life that could bring me happieness outside of video games, movies, and traveling but given my persona that might be a tough thing for me.

I guess it depends on the individuals and their interests. If someone liked every activity in the whole wide world he'd have no trouble what so ever filling in time that he would dictate to gaming but for a guy who's a little bit more meticlous than that it would be rather difficult; not your problem but mine.

Although, thinking about it, even with a billion dollars perhaps I could still get a job. If a job brings me happieness then I see no reason to give it up because I'm now loaded. Guess I'm just thinking too inside the box. Eh, that's me, not you. Just my thoughts on that amount of money and freedom if one were to give up the little void closing hobby we know as gaming.

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Ly_the_Fairy

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

Slow_Show

Um, yes? Even as someone who was regularly told they're a special and unique snowflake and mostly still believes it, I know I ain't gonna pull down eccentric millionaire/billionaire money. And I would much rather be able to dive into a Scrooge McDuck pool-vault of money than play video games.

Contrary to popular believe massive piles of gold coins do not share the same properties as water :P

"The world's newest billionaire found dead after attempting to dive head first into a pool of gold coins breaking his neck on impact"