Some PS4 failures the result of shipping damage, claims Sony

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by danabo (2474 posts) -

Sony has said that hardware problems surrounding the North American launch of its next-generation PS4 console are largely the result of damage during shipping, rather than sabotage at the factory.

The PS4's launch last week was marred by reports of hardware failures, including a dead-on-arrival error dubbed the Pulsing Blue Light of Death. As reports of faulty units rose, accounting for a third of all PS4 reviews on Amazon, Sony stepped forward to claim that such issues affected a tiny minority of around 0.4 per cent. This would, however, later be revised to "less than 1 per cent" - a doubling of the estimate.

With rumours of workers at the Foxconn factory where the PS4 is produced deliberately sabotaging the consoles in protest at poor working conditions, Sony has now claimed it has a handle on at least some of the failures, which are apparently due to shipping problems, not sabotage.

"There have been several issues reported, which leads us to believe there isn’t a singular problem that could impact a broader percentage of PS4 units," Sony spokesperson Satoshi Nakajima told Bloomberg of the flaws, denying the possibility that a wider-ranging design flaw is to blame. "We also understand that some units were reportedly damaged during shipping," he added - potentially answering why many of the faulty units appeared to come from a batch sold by Amazon. Sony have refused to comment when asked about poor build quality and the PS4 'wobble'.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

#2 Posted by KarateeeChop (4652 posts) -

lol sony

#3 Posted by lx_theo (6211 posts) -

Yeah, I heard about amazon having really stupid packaging protection back when the failures being reported.

#4 Posted by xhawk27 (7345 posts) -

Hahhaahahaha SDC force shields up!!!!!!!!!

#5 Posted by BattleSpectre (6235 posts) -

AMAZON! YOU! YOU DIRTY cheating bastards.... how could you?!?! You didn't even offer me warranty when I bought off you.

#6 Edited by joehult (366 posts) -

My amazon ps4 came with two air filled bags on top and nothing for protection on the bottom. Ups guarantees that your package will have several extreme impacts while handling your package. I'm just glad mine was handled by FedEx and I was able to have them hold it instead of putting it on a delivery truck. Basically only two layers of thin cardboard was cushioning any blows to the unit.

#7 Posted by Heil68 (45197 posts) -

OF course it wasn't Sony's fault. Thanks for clearing that up TC. Link added.

#8 Posted by Heil68 (45197 posts) -

@xhawk27 said:

Hahhaahahaha SDC force shields up!!!!!!!!!

I wonder if shipping problems are the root cause of these bricks?

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_one_support/f/4269/t/1626383.aspx

We could be on to something here. I'll reach out to MS for a comment.

#9 Edited by danabo (2474 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

You know very well I created this thread as an excuse to post a wobble.gif

#10 Edited by Chutebox (37365 posts) -

@lx_theo said:

Yeah, I heard about amazon having really stupid packaging protection back when the failures being reported.

They showed themselves packing the boxes, the put the PS4 box down on the back without any bubble wrap in the box first.

@joehult: Ya, that's what I mean. I couldn't believe it when i saw it.

#11 Posted by Heil68 (45197 posts) -

@danabo said:

@Heil68 said:

You know very well I created this thread as an excuse to post a wobble.gif

I gave you a xbone wobble VIDEO, use that once! ;)

#12 Edited by danabo (2474 posts) -

@Chutebox said:

@lx_theo said:

They showed themselves packing the boxes, the put the PS4 box down on the back without any bubble wrap in the box first.

That's how they should be packed to prevent them skipping around on the conveyors.

EDIT: Like so..

#13 Posted by Allicrombie (25235 posts) -

probably lucky mine works then.

#14 Edited by Chutebox (37365 posts) -

@danabo said:

@Chutebox said:

@lx_theo said:

That's how they should be packed to prevent them skipping around on the conveyors.

EDIT: Like so..

How does packing it between packaging cause that? That package has to be extremely light.

#15 Edited by cainetao11 (17745 posts) -

Now, when MS responded to faulty X1's it was all bad from cows. How about Sony? Its all someone else's fault huh?

#16 Posted by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -

sony really is trying trying to dodge the issue, but then again even ps4 owners seem to be more concerned with protecting sony's image than trying to figure out if they have been sold hardware prone to failure. so sony really has no reason to do anything besides dodge blame.

#17 Posted by magicalclick (22836 posts) -

Excuses excuses. So they blame others for their fragile console or their poor packaging.

#18 Posted by danabo (2474 posts) -

@Chutebox said:

How does packing it between packaging cause that? That package has to be extremely light.

The box is bigger than the item. The extra padding helps stop it from shifting in transit. This frequently occurs when there's a small heavy item in a large box, but I have no idea what's in the gif (it was just the first image on google). I may have worked in logistics for a few years. :)

#19 Posted by waltefmoney (18030 posts) -

What a shitty company, can never admit to their own mistakes. Can't wait for the new video of them bowing and apologizing to consumers.

#20 Posted by GrayF0X786 (3863 posts) -

Amazon UK better not fk with our yet to be released ps4s

#21 Edited by danabo (2474 posts) -

@GrayF0X786 said:

Amazon UK better not fk with our yet to be released ps4s

As long as DHL handle them you should be fine. If it's Yodel, well, good luck.