SOCOM vs. Ghost Recon Better tactical shooter?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lg_style_510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 lg_style_510
Member since 2005 • 81 Posts
Nevermind the glitz and glamour that Ghost Recon has. Which tactical shooter has the better gameplay on single player and multiplayer?
disneydude35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 disneydude35
Member since 2006 • 1214 Posts
easily ghost recon
agentfred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 agentfred
Member since 2003 • 5666 Posts
Socom has the better multiplayer, gameplay goes to graw though
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts
neither is tactical shooter :D
Cubs360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Cubs360
Member since 2006 • 3771 Posts
Socom has the better multiplayer, gameplay goes to graw thoughagentfred
Socom does not have better multiplayer, Gameplay is and integral part of Multiplayer! Let me ask you this, how can a game have better Multiplayer but have worse Gameplay? BTW, the last Socom got a 6.5 in Gameinformer, even the xbox version of Graw did better than that! Socom is overhyped!
advertise_this

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 advertise_this
Member since 2006 • 1208 Posts
[QUOTE="agentfred"]Socom has the better multiplayer, gameplay goes to graw thoughCubs360
Socom does not have better multiplayer, Gameplay is and integral part of Multiplayer! Let me ask you this, how can a game have better Multiplayer but have worse Gameplay? BTW, the last Socom got a 6.5 in Gameinformer, even the xbox version of Graw did better than that! Socom is overhyped!

since when is gamespot game informer ... and the last socom game was an expansion pack btw... cant wait for socom 4 :)
TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TrueReligion_
Member since 2006 • 11037 Posts
America's Army. Those games aren't even tactical.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
    Earlier Ghost Recon games were poor ports of Rainbow Six, which was an increasingly poor franchise itself. However, with Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter and Rainbow Six Vegas, I would easily say that both franchises are back on top of the tactical shooting game.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AdrianWerner
    Earlier Ghost Recon games were poor ports of Rainbow Six, which was an increasingly poor franchise itself. However, with Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter and Rainbow Six Vegas, I would easily say that both franchises are back on top of the tactical shooting game.SpruceCaboose
except that those "poor franchises" were real tactical shooters, while GRAW and Vegas have more in common with Call of Duty than tactical shooting
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SpruceCaboose
America's Army. Those games aren't even tactical. TrueReligion_

America's Army was a good game, but in terms of balancing tactics with longevity, GRAW wins in my book.
Are they making a sequel to America's Army? I heard of one, and haven't heard anything new in ages. I would love a sequel to it.
TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TrueReligion_
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"] Earlier Ghost Recon games were poor ports of Rainbow Six, which was an increasingly poor franchise itself. However, with Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter and Rainbow Six Vegas, I would easily say that both franchises are back on top of the tactical shooting game.AdrianWerner
except that those "poor franchises" were real tactical shooters, while GRAW and Vegas have more in common with Call of Duty than tactical shooting

Yeah, lately, none of them are realistic. I'm not saying they aren't fun, but they aren't really tactical, and they aren't realistic.
Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#12 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts
The first GR owns almost every tactical shooter but for me its all gone done hill from there.
lg_style_510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lg_style_510
Hmmm ok. Well sorry if misinterpreted what a tactical shooter is. I guess I just consider them tactical because it isn't a simple run n gun like a  call of duty.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"] Earlier Ghost Recon games were poor ports of Rainbow Six, which was an increasingly poor franchise itself. However, with Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter and Rainbow Six Vegas, I would easily say that both franchises are back on top of the tactical shooting game.AdrianWerner

The first Rainbow was great, then they just got worse and worse. More expansion-like and less actual sequel like. I would lessen the tactics and play Vegas over any previous Rainbow game anyday.
TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TrueReligion_
[QUOTE="TrueReligion_"]America's Army. Those games aren't even tactical. SpruceCaboose

Just because you shoot the gun does not make them non-tactical. America's Army was a good game, but in terms of balancing tactics with longevity, GRAW wins in my book.
Are they making a sequel to America's Army? I heard of one, and haven't heard anything new in ages. I would love a sequel to it.

While it's an old game, AA is very realistic and tactical for its time. GRAW was very unrealistic, out of all the Ghost Recon's, I really hated GRAW. The graphics were great, but it wasn't very realistic; it was tactical, but more frustrating than anything. I haven't heard of a new AA, yet. I hope they make one soon.
lg_style_510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lg_style_510
Can I get some examples of fun tactical shooter?
klabut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 klabut
Member since 2006 • 3264 Posts
Ghost Recon imo better multiplayer.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SpruceCaboose
    In terms of flat tactical games, I really liked Full Spectrum Warior.
TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TrueReligion_
[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"] Earlier Ghost Recon games were poor ports of Rainbow Six, which was an increasingly poor franchise itself. However, with Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter and Rainbow Six Vegas, I would easily say that both franchises are back on top of the tactical shooting game.SpruceCaboose

The first Rainbow was great, then they just got worse and worse. More expansion-like and less actual sequel like. I would lessen the tactics and play Vegas over any previous Rainbow game anyday.

I don't have to use any tactics in R6Vegas. I thought is was more run-and-gun than anything. Especially considering the health meter was removed, and they used the "Halo" health meter. I enjoyed it though, as an average FPS with great graphics, but it doesn't compare to tactical shooters on the PC. (IMO)
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SpruceCaboose
    And Ghost Recon and Rainbow are both tactical shooters in the definative sense since they both utilize much more tactical approaches that just running into a room and shooting.
    You need to coordinate a squad, weigh silence vs. firepower, time strikes, and more. You could say it is not as tactical as a pure tactics game, but it is much more tactical than a Call of Duty or Halo.
CWEBB04z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 CWEBB04z
Member since 2006 • 4879 Posts

Socom 3 has over 20,000 people playing at peak times, with barely little kids. I'd say Multiplayer is better on Socom.

Socom 2 still has over 7,000 people playing at peak times.

Socom has 500 players at peak times.

Multiplayer owns on Socom.

advertise_this

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 advertise_this
Member since 2006 • 1208 Posts

Socom 3 has over 20,000 people playing at peak times, with barely little kids. I'd say Multiplayer is better on Socom.

CWEBB04z
i'll have to agree on that ... eve i still play it from time to time.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AdrianWerner
[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"] Earlier Ghost Recon games were poor ports of Rainbow Six, which was an increasingly poor franchise itself. However, with Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter and Rainbow Six Vegas, I would easily say that both franchises are back on top of the tactical shooting game.SpruceCaboose

I disagree...both Rogue Spear and Raven Shield felt like proper sequels, not add-ons
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AdrianWerner
  they both utilize much more tactical approaches that just running into a room and shooting.SpruceCaboose
ermm...90% of the time that's exacly how you play Vegas and GRAW
GODFLESH_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GODFLESH_basic
Member since 2003 • 1018 Posts
Sorry guys, tactical shooters died when they started being released on consoles, they got exceedingly dumbed down and "action oriented" to please you kool aid drinkers.  Thanks.
kentlucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kentlucky
Member since 2003 • 354 Posts
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"] they both utilize much more tactical approaches that just running into a room and shooting.AdrianWerner
ermm...90% of the time that's exacly how you play Vegas and GRAW

I don't know about MP but if you're talking SP then this is BS.  I'm playing R6V and I'm spending 90% of the time finding cover and trying to flank enemies.  Certainly not run and gun.  I think it's pretty tactical and unforgiving, maybe not as much as something like ArmA, but pretty damned good, I'd say. 
-Beowulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 -Beowulf
Member since 2006 • 1801 Posts
Ghost Recon, without a doubt.
kentlucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kentlucky
Sorry guys, tactical shooters died when they started being released on consoles, they got exceedingly dumbed down and "action oriented" to please you kool aid drinkers. Thanks.GODFLESH_basic

Well-supported argument.  Thanks. 
StarFoxCOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29 StarFoxCOM
Member since 2006 • 5605 Posts
GRAW is the best Tatitcal Shooter. But the Socom Series is better
GODFLESH_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GODFLESH_basic
Member since 2003 • 1018 Posts

[QUOTE="GODFLESH_basic"]Sorry guys, tactical shooters died when they started being released on consoles, they got exceedingly dumbed down and "action oriented" to please you kool aid drinkers. Thanks.kentlucky

Well-supported argument.  Thanks. 

You havn't played many older tactical shooters on the PC have you. 

kentlucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 kentlucky

[QUOTE="kentlucky"][QUOTE="GODFLESH_basic"]Sorry guys, tactical shooters died when they started being released on consoles, they got exceedingly dumbed down and "action oriented" to please you kool aid drinkers. Thanks.GODFLESH_basic

Well-supported argument. Thanks.

You havn't played many older tactical shooters on the PC have you.

Well, I played the original Rainbow Six where you had to shoot your teammates when they got stuck in doorways.  Anyways, you're the one that claimed consoles killed tactical shooters, so support your argument. 
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

Socom 3 has over 20,000 people playing at peak times, with barely little kids. I'd say Multiplayer is better on Socom.

CWEBB04z
So thats around 5,000 using the warp cord, 10,000 backed up into a rock or a wall and sniping. 4,000 using an action replay, and 1,000 griping about the other 19,000 cheaters. They may all be run and gun these days but at least GRAW kept most of the cheaters out with updates.
GatoFeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 GatoFeo
Member since 2004 • 1846 Posts
Socom, it's gettin old, but it's still good.... Ghost fighter has good picture, but it's so easy to kill someone.... Like with one shot..... No Skils...
Avatar image for NoFanboyzPlease
NoFanboyzPlease

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 NoFanboyzPlease
Member since 2007 • 266 Posts
Socom
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
The pc version is the most tatical and relistic taticla shooter. socom lacks the tatical map, your team mates don't do what you tell them to do in socom
TheWiikestLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TheWiikestLink
Member since 2006 • 1730 Posts
socom II was the best socom(and if it was the LAST socom to be released,id say socom > graw)but s3 and CA make it easier on me to say GRAW is better overall.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Film-Guy
Member since 2007 • 26778 Posts
This is the best tactical shooter of all time.

Windows Front Cover