So You Think You Have A Large Collection Of Games and Peripherals ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44056 Posts

Forgetaboutit - I'm selling them all and will now be a full time warrior. :o

Anyway, that is one heck of a collection and almost makes me look like a rookie.. almost. :P

For a cool half mil., it could be all yours.

Discuss if you wish.

Oh and, U Jelly? :lol:

--

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-13-coloured-boxes-perfectly-arranged-a-lifelong-game-collector-heads-to-ebay

"Coloured boxes, perfectly arranged": a lifelong game collector heads to eBay

Radiant Silvergun? This guy has two of 'em.

960x-1

"After a life spent collecting video games I decide to sell off my entire collection."

If that were the opening sentence of a novel - and I sort of wish it was - it would be one of the big ones. Big in terms of scope, big in terms of character, with a quirky theme that's used to cut through to some kind of irreducible truth about mankind and our need to impose order on reality. As things go, it's the opening sentence of a truly epic eBay auction, instead: a vast selection of video games - a history of games, really - that can be yours for just half a million dollars.

The seller wishes to remain anonymous. Let's call him M. On eBay, he's referring to himself as *videogames.museum*: an apt name, given the scope of the collection he's just put on sale. He's conscious, I think, of the creaky old social stereotype of the collector, a stereotype that lives somewhere between the brittle pedantry of the Simpsons' comic book guy and the dark taxidermists lurking within the pages of a cheap serial killer novel. M wants me to know he's normal: he's in his 40s, he's married with children and, according to a glorious factoid culled from his listing, he's the owner of a pet that "isn't interested in video games." "I'm very reserved, and for me just the idea of being interviewed is almost surreal," he says when I contact him to hear more. Maybe he's right. Maybe there's nothing so very unusual about his collection in the first place?

Got, got, need, got...

But... just look at it. Scroll through the introductory text, pick over the endless pictures, and marvel at the PDF which breaks things down over the course of 135 pages. The photos are what get to me personally: I'm stuck on them, really, ceaselessly roving through the listings, peering at one delight after another. Is that a collection of themed Neo Geo Pocket Colors in their original boxes? (Yes.) Is that every game in the Mother series? (Yes.) Is that Elite for the NES? (Yes, yes, yes.) This is an autobiography in cartridges, consoles, and special edition slip-cases, the fruits of a three decades of hoarding, of preserving, of arranging things on shelves. Almost 7000 games, over 300 consoles: the scale of the thing is daunting. It begs questions. Questions like, how did this all start?

"It was a Space Invaders arcade machine placed in a pizzeria near my home," says M, when asked about the moment that games entered his life. "That's easy to say. It was love at first sight." Scroll forward a few years and games escaped from the pizzeria, too. That's because one day his father came home from work with something special. "He had a brand new Atari VCS 2600 in his hands. I was about seven and didn't even know there was something like that.

"To me it was pure magic!" the collector continues. "It is difficult to say more. I was just a kid, but I think that the special thing about my early video games experience was the fact that it was something really new. A new form of entertainment was born and I consider myself a lucky guy to have witnessed the story of video games since the beginning. You have to think that in the 1970s, just the possibility to move a dot that resembled a spaceship on a screen was amazing. The modern kids are not so lucky; of course they have much better games but for sure the magic is long gone."

Stuff like this fills me with a weird kind of contentedness.

I ask M if there was a specific point at which he went from simply buying video games to collecting them. "One after another, the shelves soon were full of coloured boxes, perfectly arranged," he says. "I discovered that they were a joy for my eyes as well as a joy to play." It's not hard to understand what he means. Just glance over his eBay photos and the strange pleasure of completeness, of seeing something complex laid out and categorised in full, is easy to see. This might explain why, when asked to come up with a favourite individual item from his collection, M can't do it. It's the thing in its entirety that matters. Many of his games and consoles haven't even been opened: what makes them special is their place within a wider context.

That said, even a collection as broad as this betrays the inevitable biases of its curator. M's is the collection of a console fanatic, and of a man in love with the great Japanese creators. "The collection is so wide and I have a lot of different kind of games: some of them reflect my tastes and other less," he muses. "And about my tastes I have to say that I'm really ashamed about the trends of today's video games. It's really sad to me that the most purchased video games are all serialised war simulation and similar s**t. I know they are good games with nice graphics and all, but where's the magic?"

Collecting stuff exacts a price, inevitably, and not just in terms of the money it costs to win yourself three or four different copies of Steel Battalion, complete with its huge fold-out controller. (Yes.) M's collection lives down in his basement where it's stacked on shelves "in multiple layers so you can see only a fraction of the total." Imagine it down there: the sheer weight of it. Has it become a burden as much as a hobby? "With a collection like this you can't simply stop feeding it," he replies. "Every new game you add increases the value of all the other games. Also if you stop, someone could say, "Oh you have a very nice collection, but why have you missed this or that game?"

I had no idea this even existed.

I wonder if that's part of why M's chosen to put his collection up for sale. The truth, it turns out, is a lot less complex. "Last year another collector auctioned a collection similar to mine, at least in terms of size, and it seems that the guy has made quite some cash with it," says M. "So why not to try? Sadly in these difficult times I have to think about my kids' futures."

That makes a lot of sense, but how will M feel to see his collection finally heading out the door? Will he admit to a sense of responsibility towards it? He is, after all, eager that it stays together.

"I'll probably have mixed feelings: sadness, emptiness, relief. I'll certainly feel lighter. I never thought about it, but after I put the auction up I received hundreds of messages from enthusiast gamers all over the world. So many people wrote to me just to say thanks for the opportunity to see my collection. Because I'm not the kind of guy who goes around bragging that I have this and I have that, this is the first time I'm sharing my passion. So after witnessing so much enthusiasm I'm starting to worry about a possible demise of my collection."

At the time of writing, the eBay bids counter reads zero, but the auction has two days left to run. Anything could happen. As for M, he still buys games, and plans to continue buying them after his collection is gone. "Hell yes!" he says, " I just bought two yesterday - and of course, they are still sealed."

More importantly, M still plays games and spends his time thinking about them. "I'm still a video game enthusiast and I like to be aware about everything concerned with video games. Every day I'm checking for news, reviews, and all that," he says. "If I want to buy a game I buy it always on the day it comes out. Last November I was the first to reach my local games shop to have the new Wii U. So the enthusiasm is still there but the family and the other commitments of life at the moment leave me only a little time to play. Nothing special, about three or four hours a week."

Three or four hours? Sounds entirely reasonable to me. "Even when I was a child I never spent too much time playing video games," he concludes. "It was a sane passion and not an obsession."

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
Yes
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Yeah I have a huge one, but this guys is spectacular. Kind of collection that should go in a museum, or be archived for one.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SecretPolice  Online

Yeah I have a huge one, but this guys is spectacular. Kind of collection that should go in a museum, or be archived for one.skrat_01
C'mon man, that just doesn't sound right :shock: I kid ya my friend. :P

I have those Super Action controllers from the Colecovision days and rarely ever see or hear of others having them plus, they could be considered one of the earliest examples of motion control since it has that wheel on the top that controls how fast you run in sports games, the faster you spin it, the faster your character runs. :o

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#6 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Probably could make more if he sold individually.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#7 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

Not really. I trade in a lot of games that I get bored of. I have a fairly large collection of movies though. Close to around 500 if I had to guess.

thedork_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thedork_knight
Member since 2011 • 2664 Posts
have better things to spend my cash on
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts
I saw that a week or so ago, amazing collection.
NexApex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 NexApex
Member since 2012 • 225 Posts

Wish I had the money, space and time to collect games like Mr. M (?). I'm glad he's thinking about his family and trying to give them a better future. Even if someone had the money to purchase his collect, it'll take multiple lifetimes just to play and finish half those games. Definitely something to be proud of and have that nostalgic feeling that's for sure.

HaRmLeSS_RaGe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 HaRmLeSS_RaGe
Member since 2012 • 1330 Posts

Meh, i've taken better stuff to the tip....

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

[QUOTE="skrat_01"]Yeah I have a huge one, but this guys is spectacular. Kind of collection that should go in a museum, or be archived for one.SecretPolice

C'mon man, that just doesn't sound right :shock: I kid ya my friend. :P

I have those Super Action controllers from the Colecovision days and rarely ever see or hear of others having them plus, they could be considered one of the earliest examples of motion control since it has that wheel on the top that controls how fast you run in sports games, the faster you spin it, the faster your character runs. :o

Hey, only speaking the facts ;) That's pretty cool though, I's be hanging onto that controller. (hohohohoh)
cloudff7tm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 cloudff7tm
Member since 2006 • 3975 Posts

Wow thats crazy. 

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#14 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

yes i actually do because i dont sit back and play oh this isnt selling this is selling game  i actually support the developers im willing to bet that the majority who are so much into sales  are the ones that cant afford all the games /consoles      even if they were 200 lol  , 

i own every console thus far from sega (minus sms)  all consoles from sony all consoles from microsoft and all consoles from nintendo as well as a 2600 ,

and have alot of games for each of them averaging 100 per gen  highest is 330+(360   followed by snes 210 wii 160+  n64 110 gc 101   so ya ,   i got enough,    

already on my wiiu  i have 20  games and google maps haha    i aint going to stop  any time soon on my wiiu  ,

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

I like to collect things that I will someday play not things that I will never play. The collection looks pretty but I don't think I'd be able to resist the urge to open every box and play each game for at least couple of hours and beat the ones that I find to be insteresting and fun.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#16 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Keep them.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

Not really. I trade in a lot of games that I get bored of. I have a fairly large collection of movies though. Close to around 500 if I had to guess.

Master_ShakeXXX

I have an 806 DVD movie rack filled to the brim and over 500 games on Steam... I guess I'm one of those collecting losers. lol Bad picture, but oh well.

0215130415.jpg

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
He should make an actual museum and charge $10 to come in and see it, maybe print out fact sheets and timelines. Experts would do all this for free just to be part of it, he could make a fortune without selling it.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SecretPolice  Online

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

DragonfireXZ95

I have an 806 DVD movie rack filled to the brim and over 500 games on Steam... I guess I'm one of those collecting losers. lol Bad picture, but oh well.

0215130415.jpg

Tip of da hat to you sir. :)

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Nope. If I decide to start collecting again as a hobby, I'll resume scale model dioramas/vignettes. It's been a while.

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts
Meh, my gaming collection is around 4000 and I already have more games then I could ever finish in my lifetime. I thought about going for full system collections but in the end, it's not worth it.