So, why don't people want to count Indie Games?

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

This has been bugging me for a while now; why exactly are people so adamant against claiming Indie Titles on Consoles as a selling point or for their meta game? It's like claiming House of Cards or Orange is the New Black aren't "real" tv shows because they don't air on Networks.

slim70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By slim70
Member since 2005 • 768 Posts

@Lionheart08 said:

This has been bugging me for a while now; why exactly are people so adamant against claiming Indie Titles on Consoles as a selling point or for their meta game? It's like claiming House of Cards or Orange is the New Black aren't "real" tv shows because they don't air on Networks.

Well first of all most people buy a console for big budget games like Halo and Uncharted and secondly PS fans mocked indies all last generation because it was the Xbox 360 that first pushed them.

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FPSfan1985
Member since 2011 • 2174 Posts

Because if you count console indie game. You have to count the PC ones as well. Which will mean GG for for the SW meta.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

I think is cuz no one buys a system to play indies or to look forward to playing indies.

Indies fall into the category of "Im glad is there, and I probably use it more than I think I do, but I dont really care all that much about it"

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

herms are the dominant force in this forum, so indies count by default because if not PC would have no games, only scraps from consoles. But you guys can take your indies and shove it up your asses.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

The logic is they are cheap, they're non-corporate so they don't really count as a mainstream or professional grade product. When I look at indie games I don't see them the same as I would a traditional game, I can't entirely explain it but the brain feels what it feels. People feel the way they do about indie games for a reason, it's not something born from nothing.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@FPSfan1985 said:

Because if you count console indie game. You have to count the PC ones as well. Which will mean GG for for the SW meta.

Already happened years ago.

@Slashkice said:
@FPSfan1985 said:

The PC ones have already counted for a while now.

^

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#9 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Lionheart08 said:

because people are idiots. Indie games can be just as good or better than AAA games

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

are you talking about on SW or in general?

Sylveon128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sylveon128
Member since 2015 • 99 Posts

Back then I would have said because they are crap but now they have really improved a lot and I really like shovel knight and it is coming with a lot of content and I also wish I could say the same for 3rd party but nowadays they like taking content out and being lazy. If Indies make more great game like shovel knight I will pick indies over 3rd party any day.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Because the Metagame in SW likes to pretend it's 15 years ago. Forever. And that's why most of SW pays it little more than lip service anymore.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

I don't mind counting indie games.

I just facepalm when sony fanboys come along and claim indie games as the next new thing, when a lot of "their" indie games are on other platforms as well. Or they are trying to justify buying a system based just on indie game ports.

Also, your analogy is not right, TC. It's more like an indie film not competing in the same scene with mainstream films. A proper example would be something like Frances Ha vs. Argo.

Halo2-Best-FPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Halo2-Best-FPS
Member since 2004 • 784 Posts

1. Low budget, they don't feel epic. Big AAA titles are what matters in reality.

2. Bad gfx. If I wanted to play 1994 gfx I'd build a De Lorean.

3. They are like free web browser games do we count those too?

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

They matter. But in my personal opinion they don't matter as much to me. I don't even mean with regards to the SW meta. I'm just speaking generally. I enjoy indies. Some games like Minecraft, Terraria, Nuclear Throne, or Torchlight II are some of my all time favorites. But I've never bought a system to play an indie. I generally don't get as excited for indie games ether. They just don't hold the same weight. I'm not sure this is the right line of thought. Its just the way I behave when buying systems and games.

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Wild_man_22
Member since 2010 • 907 Posts

Because Indie games have only become a big a thing over the last 5 years or so. And retail is too ingrained in people's brain, as the only thing that matters. Give it time, eventually people will start to accept them more and more as a huge part of their gaming habits.

Indies have been becoming a bigger and bigger part of my gaming. Or at least download able titles. Mostly because I'm in school and don't have alot of time atm. But even so there's alot more variety. Ag least to me.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

I love indies. What I find ironic though is that Playstation fanboys mocked indies last gen when Xbox 360 was the better console for indies, but now that PS4 is the better console for indies and that is pretty much the only thing PS4 has going for it right now in terms of exclusives, they have done a complete 180 and suddenly want to count indies.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts

LEms like them last gen not this gen since SONY is dominating in them.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44049 Posts

Because 360 had tons of kickass high scoring indies last gen and SW ( mostly cows ) insisted they couldn't be counted. :o My oh my what a dif a gen makes eh? :P

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

Which indies? Entwined? Cuz that bombed.

Resogun, Helldivers and Ori aren't exclusive. So whcih indies?

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

Lower budgets and most likely reviewed differently. I doubt Dragon Age: Inquisition and IDARB are being judged on the same level.

Indies certainly help fill the dry spells if you own the consoles, but I doubt anyone has picked up a certain console because of an indie exclusive.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Because lemmings would get even more blown out from their total lack of games.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@Lionheart08 said:

Its not like that at all. Its more like saying I watch NFL for guys like Peyton Manning, Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson etc. Not for watching guys like Blake Bortles and Tim Tebow. Or like saying I subscribe to HBO to watch Game of Thrones and their other great series, not to watch 10 year old movies i could buy in a dollar bin at walmart

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

@Gue1 said:

herms are the dominant force in this forum, so indies count by default because if not PC would have no games, only scraps from consoles. But you guys can take your indies and shove it up your asses.

When you think of Hermits, does it provoke thoughts of putting things up their asses? Is that what turns you on? Whoo, boy!

----

Anyway, we had almost a whole gen of them not counting with the 360/PS3. Some people don't like them (maybe due to budget or scale), so they don't want to count them. It's tough titty in the big city, because they count.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@Heil68 said:

Cows didn't like them last gen but love them this gen because it's pretty much all they have. That's pretty accurate Heil, unlike your BS statement.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@Lionheart08 said:

Bad comparison, but the difference is that you don't buy a console for 10$ indie titles. You buy them for the 60$ exclusives. Have you ever heard of a indie title being a system seller?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Heil68

@kingtito said:

@Heil68 said:

Cows didn't like them last gen but love them this gen because it's pretty much all they have. That's pretty accurate Heil, unlike your BS statement.

Thats not true, Journey secured SONY and unprecedented 3rd GOTY last gen.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kingtito

@Heil68 said:

@kingtito said:

@Heil68 said:

Sure that game counted for cows but that's only because it won GOTY. Prior to that release, cows hated indies. Cows hated indies all gen long but now that the tables have turned, they love them. Cows are and always will be the biggest hypocrites in SWs.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Heil68

@kingtito said:

@Heil68 said:

@kingtito said:

@Heil68 said:

Sure that game counted for cows but that's only because it won GOTY. Prior to that release, cows hated indies. Cows hated indies all gen long but now that the tables have turned, they love them. Cows are and always will be the biggest hypocrites in SWs.

I proved you wrong and personally I've always enjoyed indies, and it just so happens that current gen 8 console leader SONY, with the worlds most powerful video game console the PS4 deliverers on them this gen.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#30  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

@Gue1 said:

"Scraps from consoles" would imply that the PC versions of said games are lesser than the console versions. However as we all know, 99% of these games are better on PC. in fact the biggest majority of good games on consoles right now just happen to be indie games that came from the PC and are in most cases better on PC.

Therefor it would make more sense to say that consoles (specifically the PS4 and XB1) have next to no decent "non-indie" games and are relying on scraps from the PC indie and F2P scene to stay relevant.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#32 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

@lostrib said:

are you talking about on SW or in general?

@FastRobby said:

@Lionheart08 said:

Bad comparison, but the difference is that you don't buy a console for 10$ indie titles. You buy them for the 60$ exclusives. Have you ever heard of a indie title being a system seller?

Using that logic, games like Sunset Overdrive or Infamous aren't "real" games either since they weren't system sellers.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kingtito

@Heil68 said:

@kingtito said:

@Heil68 said:

@kingtito said:

@Heil68 said:

I proved you wrong and personally I've always enjoyed indies, and it just so happens that current gen 8 console leader SONY, with the worlds most powerful video game console the PS4 deliverers on them this gen.

You proved cows counted 1 freaking game. That doesn't prove cows hated indies last gen. All they did was conveniently accept that ONE indie because it won GOTY. 99% of the time cows hated on indies and discredited them. Don't pretend like 1 game invalidates what I said.....cows hated indies last gen.

Nice try cow...keep mooing

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts

I love indie titles. They are just trying to make a good game and not trying to live up to crazy hype like big AAA titles. One of my favorite games was on the 360 - Shadow Complex. That was an awesome game and it was the only reason why I held on to my 360 for so long.

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 asylumni
Member since 2003 • 3304 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

Because 360 had tons of kickass high scoring indies last gen and SW ( mostly cows ) insisted they couldn't be counted. :o My oh my what a dif a gen makes eh? :P

Strange, how you forget that the Lemmings were in agreement (along with Sheep) at the start of the gen when it was decided what would count in the metagame. It was only when the 360 started getting high rated indies that they changed their tune and wanted to change the rules to suit them better.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Heil68

@kingtito said:

@Heil68 said:

@kingtito said:

@Heil68 said:

@kingtito said:

@Heil68 said:

You proved cows counted 1 freaking game. That doesn't prove cows hated indies last gen. All they did was conveniently accept that ONE indie because it won GOTY. 99% of the time cows hated on indies and discredited them. Don't pretend like 1 game invalidates what I said.....cows hated indies last gen.

So no response to my 100% FACTS?

Thought so...

PS4 is current gen 8 console leader btw.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By kingtito

@Heil68 said:

@kingtito said:

@Heil68 said:

@kingtito said:

@Heil68 said:

@kingtito said:

@Heil68 said:

So no response to my 100% FACTS?

Thought so...

PS4 is current gen 8 console leader btw.

The only fact I you presented is the PS4 being the current gen leader. Why would I need to respond? I own a PS4 and just purchased BB yesterday, so I don't give a rats ass who sells the most this gen.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@Lionheart08: If I wanted to play arcade games or 2d scrollers, I'd dust off my NES.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

Because I don't buy consoles for indies. I play indies on my PC where I can buy them much, much cheaper and without DRM.

slim70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By slim70
Member since 2005 • 768 Posts

@Heil68 said:

@kingtito said:

@Heil68 said:

@kingtito said:

@Heil68 said:

You didn't prove anyone wrong you PS humping moron this isn't about Journey winning GotY it's about why people are hating on indie games. PS fanboys hated on indies last gen and now that they make up the majority of the PS4's game library so they're praised which makes all you PS salesman fucking losers hypocrites.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#42  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

It's short sighted and stupid to ignore indie games on any platform. If the game is on a platform, it counts for that platform. If you do not have a platform capable of playing any of those games (not all people have a PC sitting around to play games on), then they most certainly matter when considering how much potential gameplay time that platform is going to be worth.

When people start having gaming PCs that can run the majority of multiplatform titles and indie titles, then the consoles lose a lot of their potential value. That skews people's opinions quite a bit.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#43  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@Halo2-Best-FPS said:

Wha... ?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Heil68

@slim70 said:

@Heil68 said:

@kingtito said:

@Heil68 said:

@kingtito said:

@Heil68 said:

You didn't prove anyone wrong you PS humping moron this isn't about Journey winning GotY it's about why people are hating on indie games. PS fanboys hated on indies last gen and now that they make up the majority of the PS4's game library so they're praised which makes all you PS salesman fucking losers hypocrites.

Journey garnered SONY an unprecedented 3 GOTY last gen validating the indie games.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#45 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@Heil68 said:

@slim70 said:

Journey garnered SONY an unprecedented 3 GOTY last gen validating the indie games.

Journey is not even an indie game to begin with....

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Halo2-Best-FPS said:

Wha... ?

De Lorean is the car they use to make a time machine in the Back to the Future films

Otherwise, I believe he is saying indie games have shitty graphics

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Games are games period.

However, I did not spend 400 bucks to play something that looks, in many many cases like something I played during the Arcade era of the 80´s, for that matter I just have to turn on my PS1 and I´m ready to go.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#48 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@lostrib said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Halo2-Best-FPS said:

Wha... ?

De Lorean is the car they use to make a time machine in the Back to the Future films

Otherwise, I believe he is saying indie games have shitty graphics

I know, and while I may not be the best at these, I hardly see that is a great analogy.

Then again, nothing will beat a comparison of ID theft to a terrorist attack.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Heil68

@Gue1 said:

@Heil68 said:

@slim70 said:

Journey is not even an indie game to begin with....

Yes it is...

Journey is an indievideo game developed by Thatgamecompany for the PlayStation 3. It was released on March 13, 2012, via the PlayStation Network.

Journey was developed by thatgamecompany, an independent game company. Sony and thatgamecompany had a three-game contract, so Sony would publish their games and allow them for PS3. So thatgamecompany isn't owned by Sony, Sony just published their games. I hope that makes sense.

Remember to Live, LEARN and Love.

Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Buckhannah
Member since 2013 • 715 Posts

It's annoying to buy a new Gen $400 console, and have so much of its new releases every week look like gamea that ran on the console your mom bought you for Christmas in 1986.

Some of them are all right, but it's few and far between.