So where do you all REALLY stand with ''Teh Graphix''?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ImOldGreg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ImOldGreg
Member since 2007 • 2357 Posts

Those ''Queers of Warm vs George Foreman Grillzone 2 vs Get back in the kitchen and start cookin' Mama'' etc. Graphics threads seem to be a dime a dozen here (Duh). But do we really care about the looks that much?

Personally I find that as long as the visuals arn't ladden with glitchs and bugs, and that they serve the atmosphere of the game I could'nt care less about pixal counting and Console comparison's that reveal the Xbox verson of ''Assassins breed excessivly'' has a slightly shorter drawbridge distance.

Don't get me wrong. When I first glimpled Crysis on a H.D moniter my face did melt a little, but then again I felt that Overlord 2 was a real looker because its characters looked like the love child of Monty Python and J.R.R Tolkein...and its ''Graphix engine'' looks like its run on steam and a hand crank! :P

So how do you guys really feel about it all, any underated favorites? Does a game have to charm you with its wiggle before you give it a go? Or are those cockfight threads really an accurate reflection of the attitudes here? ;)

samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

I enjoy a graphical set piece but you gotta have that story if you want me to remember it.

2-10-08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#3 2-10-08
Member since 2008 • 2775 Posts

Stories in videogames, ha. Graphics are all that I remember a game by.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

Graphics are always a plus, but I'd prefer graphics look more inspired and stylized than realistic. Games like Uncharted and Halo take more realistic game and add a dash of their own look and charm, which is what I wish more devs would do. I always dig RPG's because most of them have these gorgeous and varied environments to explore, even if the graphics aren't Crysis level.

manicfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 manicfoot
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts

I do care about graphics, but it in the context of the system. I don't compare PS3 to 360 or Wii to PS2. If a game pushes the system further than anything else or it has a fantastic art style then its a great looking game to me. This is why I think Sonic 3, Klonoa and Donkey Kong Country all look fantastic.

Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 Doolz2024
Member since 2007 • 9623 Posts
Superb visuals are nice, but if a game doesn't have good gameplay, I won't like it no matter how good it looks.
ImOldGreg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ImOldGreg

Graphics are always a plus, but I'd prefer graphics look more inspired and stylized than realistic. Games like Uncharted and Halo take more realistic game and add a dash of their own look and charm, which is what I wish more devs would do. I always dig RPG's because most of them have these gorgeous and varied environments to explore, even if the graphics aren't Crysis level.

BioShockOwnz
Thats why I hide my old JRPG collection whenever I've got some mates over...sure their hero's blur the line between sexes and make my eyes twitch, but damn are some of those Vistas awe inspiring- Entire city's buildt out of chrome silver, floating islands, magical airships etc. good eye candy :)
Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

Graphs are not a factor for me, I don't care how good the graphs are... I'mmore interested on the story/gameplay, and after that graphic STYLE. I'm enjoying the Brutal Legend world because it kicks ass, even though the graphics are nothing to be amazed with.

Mogotoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Mogotoo
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

Graphics do help make a game better. I enjoy the visuals of games like SSBB and TP much more than SSB64 and OoT.

However, I find these little disputes between graphics of the same generation ridiculous. It's one thing to compare the visulas of Super Mario 64 to the visuals of Super Mario Galaxy; it's a whole other thing to compare the visuals of Uncharted to the visuals of Gears of War. All curent-gen games look great; who cares about such insignificant differences? Will you really notice when you're actually playing the game?

People should enjoy current-gen games and be happy that graphics have improved over the generations.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BioShockOwnz

[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

ImOldGreg

Thats why I hide my old JRPG collection whenever I've got some mates over...sure their hero's blur the line between sexes and make my eyes twitch, but damn are some of those Vistas awe inspiring- Entire city's buildt out of chrome silver, floating islands, magical airships etc. good eye candy :)

Agreed. The anime cliches with effeminate boys and men... ugh. Which is why I tend to take the WRPG's over JRPG's.

But the environments are always stunning to explore or just look at.

CakeBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CakeBalls
Member since 2009 • 848 Posts
Good graphics are a must. Dunno about other but they definitely contribute towards how much I enjoy a game.
AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
I really like how The Witcher 2 is looking.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BioShockOwnz

I really like how The Witcher 2 is looking.AAllxxjjnn

Same. The environments look mindblowing.

skinny_man_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#14 skinny_man_69
Member since 2005 • 5147 Posts

I always like it when graphics present me with something that I had never seen before. Sure games like Killzone 2, Crysis and Gears of War strive for realism, but when you look out at the world of Prince of Persia or one of the vistas of Brutal Legend, I always just stop and think of how the imagination is so complicated and beautiful. Stuff like that really captivates me...

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

Art style is more important I suppose?

Actually I prefer clean looking games.

ImOldGreg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ImOldGreg

I always like it when graphics present me with something that I had never seen before. Sure games like Killzone 2, Crysis and Gears of War strive for realism, but when you look out at the world of Prince of Persia or one of the vistas of Brutal Legend, I always just stop and think of how the imagination is so complicated and beautiful. Stuff like that really captivates me...

skinny_man_69
Agreed, Whilst I'll admit the new Prince of persia was a flawed experiance, the first time I watched a coruppted land purify, my eyebrows shot streight up, those darkness creatures, the way they move and the color of the liberated lands where all very fresh. And Brutal Legend was and is just one long treat for the eyes, start to finish. :)
Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 Conjuration
Member since 2006 • 3562 Posts

For home consoles, amazing graphics are mandatory. That's part of the reason why my Wii is a paper-weight.
When it comes to handlhelds I don't care about the graphics.

alphamale1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 alphamale1989
Member since 2008 • 3134 Posts
Good graphics are always a plus, but thier style and the atmosphere they create are much more important. I still think Yoshi's Isand and Donkey Kong Country for the SNES look good (if you play them in SD anyways).
dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#19 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16051 Posts

Graphics are like outer beauty; they matter to a degree, but they shouldn't dictate what you will/will not play.

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

There are many things more important.

CaptainHarley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 CaptainHarley
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

is anybody going to honestly say they dont like good graphics? anyway good graphics totally make a game better and more immersive. i love my pc, and while i could play the same games on it without most fo the investment ive made, really, it just isnt the same.