So, what was the greatest set of Pokemon games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Edited 7 months, 4 days ago

Poll: So, what was the greatest set of Pokemon games? (25 votes)

Pokemon R/B (Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, FireRed, LeafGreen) 12%
Pokemon G/S (Gold, Silver, Crystal, HeartGold/SoulSilver) 60%
Pokemon Ru/Sa (Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald) 12%
Pokemon D/P (Diamond, Pearl, Platinum) 4%
Pokemon B/W (Black, White, Black 2, White 2) 4%
Pokemon X/Y (X, Y) 8%

X and Y are old enough that the honeymoon phase is over.

Fine. So now at this point, what Pokemon game still stands as the greatest one of them all, the very best like no one ever was, and more importantly, why?

#1 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10350 posts) -

Going from Red/Blue to Gold/Silver was a massive improvement. Two countries, a massive Pokedex, bringing old protagonists and antagonists back from Red/Blue was great, insanely high level Poke battles.

#2 Posted by subxjoe (9 posts) -

Sorry new rule.

Can't make Pokemon threads unless you have 50970 posts.

MODS lock it down!!!

#3 Posted by Ballroompirate (22555 posts) -

While Red/Blue are classics, X and Y were just amazing (almost everything I wanted in a Pokemon game) so I have to go with X and Y.

#4 Posted by _Matt_ (8868 posts) -

Going from Red/Blue to Gold/Silver was a massive improvement. Two countries, a massive Pokedex, bringing old protagonists and antagonists back from Red/Blue was great, insanely high level Poke battles.

Pretty much.

And Heart Gold and Soul Silver were brilliant remakes too.

#5 Posted by TrappedInABox91 (529 posts) -

Red and Blue were amazing, but Gold/Silver will always be my fav.

#6 Edited by Basinboy (11059 posts) -

Red/Blue

OG Pokemon for life

#7 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22424 posts) -

Gold and silver were probably the most complete initial versions.

#8 Posted by charizard1605 (56065 posts) -

Okay, here's my answer:

Pokemon G/S, which includes Pokemon Gold, Pokemon Silver, Pokemon Crystal, Pokemon HeartGold, and Pokemon SoulSilver.

Why do I think that this was the best set? Because these games are literally perfect. They are the absolute peak of Pokemon, and they will never be replicated again. Let's just go through their awesomeness again (these points go for both the originals and the remakes):

• At the time of their release, they had literally every single Pokemon existing till then (except for certain event legendaries) legitimately available in game.
  • They introduced a staggering amount of new features- from simple UI fixes to game changing features like day/night, berry harvesting, Pokeball crafting, breeding, Special Attack and Defense split, running legendaries, the absolute amazing amounts of innovation exhibited by these games has been unparalleled by any other release in the series before or after.
  • It had the absolute best boss fights in the series- Lance? Motherfucking Red? Whitney with her forsaken Miltank? These games probably represent the last time Pokemon games were legitimately hard.
  • Johto is one of the most interesting regions in the series, with incredible atmosphere, and a great surrounding mythology.
  • It had the best and most consistent set of new Pokemon designs- every single new Pokemon was great, there was not a single bad one. This cannot be said for literally any other Pokemon generation.
  • The graphics and artstyle (more so for the remakes) were breathtakingly beautiful, if constrained a little by the power of the systems these games appeared on.
  • The soundtrack is top tier (although arguably not the best one in the series)
  • The post game was so absolutely great that it literally cannot be topped. After completing the main quest, you get eight more gym badges, another Pokemon League, and then a showdown with Red.
  • The level curve was great- again, this is one of the few times this has been true for Pokemon.
  • All the callbacks to the original games made these seem like a part of a larger Pokemon universe and mythology. This sort of continuity, which all games after these ones eschewed, was sorely missed.
  • Essentially, at the time of their respective release, every single one of the games in this set represented the ultimate culmination of all things Pokemon- for every other Pokemon release, it's a case of three steps forwards, one step back- these games were the only time that was not true.
#9 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24919 posts) -
#10 Posted by mems_1224 (46585 posts) -

Soul Silver/Heart Gold

#11 Posted by Consternated (492 posts) -

Exactly how I remember it. I didn't play gen IV & V, and I've only just started out with gen VI, but Silver/Gold just edge out the originals for me.

#12 Posted by yokofox33 (29373 posts) -

I think my sentimental favs are definitely Red/Blue since they introduced me to the series. I was so addicted to those games.

Gold/Silver though were just so expansive and a major improvement in terms of battling and just small details. And the allure of discovering the new Pokemon for the first time was awesome.

#13 Posted by yokofox33 (29373 posts) -
#14 Posted by charizard1605 (56065 posts) -
#15 Edited by Pikminmaniac (8770 posts) -

X/Y

I don't care about the story or the world of Pokemon at all. All I care about is the battle system and strategy as well as custom tailoring a team for said system. The games have only improved and tweaked this with each iteration. The X/Y generation is easily the best for that.

#16 Posted by Jandurin (95544 posts) -

You can't tell me you are only just seeing that?

It's been all over the internet for five days now!

shut up cunt

#17 Posted by VendettaRed07 (13998 posts) -

G/S...

only time l felt like they were really trying to make the best videogame possible.

They really put 100% effort and creativity into those games. Everything else felt like they were always holding back or dumbing things down for pointless reasons, or just making odd, random decisions involving gameplay in general.

The only time the series has taken a legit step forward.

#18 Posted by bbkkristian (14945 posts) -

Don't go telling the pokemon XY gamefaqs board your favorite game is HeartGold/SoulSilver, they'll stone you.

#19 Edited by charizard1605 (56065 posts) -

Don't go telling the pokemon XY gamefaqs board your favorite game is HeartGold/SoulSilver, they'll stone you.

LET THEM COME AT ME

@Jandurin said:

shut up cunt

;__;

#20 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22424 posts) -

@VendettaRed07: by all means X and Y were a big step forward in terms of tech and overall presentation

#21 Posted by bbkkristian (14945 posts) -

@charizard1605: I will fight with you till the end, brother. HeartGold/SoulSilver ftw.

#22 Posted by Jandurin (95544 posts) -

i'm sorry i didn't mean it bby

#23 Posted by charizard1605 (56065 posts) -

G/S...

only time l felt like they were really trying to make the best videogame possible.

They really put 100% effort and creativity into those games. Everything else felt like they were always holding back or dumbing things down for pointless reasons, or just making odd, random decisions involving gameplay in general.

The only time the series has taken a legit step forward.

Eh, X and Y were pretty legitimate leaps forward

@charizard1605: I will fight with you till the end, brother. HeartGold/SoulSilver ftw.

And all heathens who deny that shall be smote by the glory that is the Helix Fossil

@Jandurin said:

i'm sorry i didn't mean it bby

k

#24 Posted by yokofox33 (29373 posts) -
#25 Edited by trugs26 (5296 posts) -

H/G > R/B > R/S > D/P > X/Y

I didn't play B/W.

And I didn't have trouble making that order. To me, it's really clear which games are better.

Currently still playing X/Y, but man, it's so annoying how obviously point to point it is. Definitely the worst so far.

#26 Posted by charizard1605 (56065 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@yokofox33 said:
@LegatoSkyheart said:

Gold and Silver will be my favorite forever.

Although Red and Blue is becoming more awesome by the minute.

My brain just exploded.

You can't tell me you are only just seeing that?

It's been all over the internet for five days now!

I don't use Twitch, so yeah, my first time seeing it. I should probably sign up and start streaming my crappy game videos.

Lol, I don't use it either, but every single major gaming site, technology site, and general news site reported on it, and you can't go to Reddit/4Chan/GAF without your front page being littered by references to that stream

#27 Posted by Jandurin (95544 posts) -

PERSONALLY

gaf wouldn't take me

reddit is a pile of crap

and fuck 4chan

fin

#28 Edited by charizard1605 (56065 posts) -

@Jandurin said:

PERSONALLY

gaf wouldn't take me

reddit is a pile of crap

and fuck 4chan

fin

It's okay, we'll take you in

#29 Posted by jg4xchamp (47389 posts) -

I don't know. I guess like Madden: Probably the latest one all things considered is the "best" game. But also like Madden it's rote to the point of making you wonder exactly when they plan on doing something interesting with the game design of that series. The first of never? most likely.

#30 Posted by Crazyguy105 (9512 posts) -

Black 2 and White 2.