So what does system wars think about Deus Ex: Human Revolution? SPOILERS

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by IcyFlamez96 (1355 posts) -

I just beat it a couple days ago and I'm still thinking about the ending. I just LOVE how the whole game wrapped up story wise. Gameplay wise, I would have rather not been shooting much shooting at.... pretty much zombies. I always thought the story was kinda cool, but the whole Panchea section just got me immensley engaged in the plot. After talking to Darrow, then Sarif, then Taggart.... I pretty much hated them all lol. Well Sarif was okay. I picked his ending. It really makes you think though. then I looked up some stuff about how it ties into Dues Ex 1, and how that guy who talks at the beginning and after the credits is the main villian in that game. retty interesting. Again, the ending could have been better gamelay wise, but the story really hit it's climax at that point. The end boss was dumb. Actually I really didn't like any of the bosses now that I think about it... Anyway

So what did you guys think of it? What ending did you guys choose? 

#2 Posted by mems_1224 (47269 posts) -
awesome game, shitty bosses and ending.
#3 Posted by lundy86_4 (43540 posts) -

awesome game, shitty bosses and ending. mems_1224

In a nutshell.

#4 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

I'd say it's an 8 or so. It's fun but way too easy and the boss sections are dumb.

Oh and if you liked it, you should definitely play Deus Ex. It's better in terms of the variety of gameplay although the graphics are really dated.

#5 Posted by Vyse_Legends (9387 posts) -

[QUOTE="mems_1224"]awesome game, shitty bosses and ending. lundy86_4

In a nutshell.

You forgot them awesome ICARUS jumps.:P

#6 Posted by IcyFlamez96 (1355 posts) -

In a nutshell.

How was the ending bad? That's the part were I was engaged in the story the most by far. That was the hardest moral choice I've ever had to make in a game.
#7 Posted by mems_1224 (47269 posts) -
[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="mems_1224"]awesome game, shitty bosses and ending. IcyFlamez96

In a nutshell.

How was the ending bad? That's the part were I was engaged in the story the most by far. That was the hardest moral choice I've ever had to make in a game.

Meh, none of the endings were that different because they all have to lead to the first game.
#8 Posted by IcyFlamez96 (1355 posts) -

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="mems_1224"]awesome game, shitty bosses and ending. Vyse_Legends

In a nutshell.

I can't believe I waited till Singapore to upgrade his jump height. Best. Augmentation. Ever.
#9 Posted by Wolfetan (7522 posts) -

One of my favorite games:)

#10 Posted by IcyFlamez96 (1355 posts) -
[QUOTE="IcyFlamez96"][QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

In a nutshell.

mems_1224

Meh, none of the endings were that different because they all have to lead to the first game.

Not really. The only endings that would make sense in the canon of Deus Ex is Sarif's and the one were you blow up the facility... I think
#11 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

a worthy addition to the deus ex series, better than the second one, but still not as good as the original.

#12 Posted by IcyFlamez96 (1355 posts) -

a worthy addition to the deus ex series, better than the second one, but still not as good as the original.

CaseyWegner

I really want to play the first one now.... But my laptop sucks.

What exactly makes the first one better?

#13 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

Haven't played it yet unfortunately. I'll be getting the Wii U version.

#14 Posted by lundy86_4 (43540 posts) -

I really want to play the first one now.... But my laptop sucks.IcyFlamez96

Legitimately, it could run on a potato, even with mods. Play it. 

#15 Posted by TorqueHappens08 (927 posts) -

[QUOTE="Vyse_Legends"]

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

In a nutshell.

IcyFlamez96

I can't believe I waited till Singapore to upgrade his jump height. Best. Augmentation. Ever.

I killed myself multiple times from jumping from crates, but it made the game so much easier lol. 

2nd best augmentation was seeing through walls while equpied with the lazor rifle. 

Unstoppable killing machine.

#16 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

IcyFlamez96

maybe nostalgia at the moment. it might be dated but it was my favorite game for a long time. it just did so many things right. story, character build options, choices, rewards for exploring, characters, etc.

#17 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

IcyFlamez96

You're basically given more freedom/choices in gameplay. And you aren't awarded experience for going stealthy- that was one of my issues with Human Revolution, why the hell should you get more xp for going a certain way? The whole point of the game is that you're supposed to approach it however you want.

#18 Posted by IcyFlamez96 (1355 posts) -

[QUOTE="IcyFlamez96"]I really want to play the first one now.... But my laptop sucks.lundy86_4

Legitimately, it could run on a potato, even with mods. Play it. 

I'm actually typing this on a rock
#19 Posted by BPoole96 (22802 posts) -

One of the best games this gen

#20 Posted by Shadowchronicle (26039 posts) -
awesome game, shitty bosses and ending. mems_1224
What this guy said.
#21 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

In a nutshell.

Yep, though I'd also like to add the entire final level was pretty bad, feels like they had to rush things up in the end, and even the DLC, The Missing Link was made to give some backstory and explanation to the Hyron Project.

Oh, and on topic of Missing Link, I'd say it's one of the best pieces of DLC this gen, it's HR at its best, no bosses, and the game rewards you for being stealthy, if you don't get detected, it slightly affects the story, the characters react to it, there are less enemy patrols, which is a really nice touch. And the biggest decision you have to make in the game has a secret third option, which is awesome.

Ultimately, though, HR was one of the best series reboots I played this gen, and I definitely want to see more, hope we get another full Deus Ex game, don't have any interest in that iOS stuff.

#22 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="IcyFlamez96"] How was the ending bad? That's the part were I was engaged in the story the most by far. That was the hardest moral choice I've ever had to make in a game.IcyFlamez96

Not really. The only endings that would make sense in the canon of Deus Ex is Sarif's and the one were you blow up the facility... I think

Yeah, I think blowing up the facility would be the most sensible option if you want to keep up with the canon. The ones where you prevent or limit further human augmentation don't make sense canon-wise.

Honestly, I'd have prefered if the game had only a single ending, works the best in the prequels, if you ask me, and wouldn't damage the experience.

#23 Posted by lundy86_4 (43540 posts) -

I'm actually typing this on a rockIcyFlamez96

Is a potato slightly more powerful than a rock?

Yep, though I'd also like to add the entire final level was pretty bad, feels like they had to rush things up in the end, and even the DLC, The Missing Link was made to give some backstory and explanation to the Hyron Project.

Oh, and on topic of Missing Link, I'd say it's one of the best pieces of DLC this gen, it's HR at its best, no bosses, and the game rewards you for being stealthy, if you don't get detected, it slightly affects the story, the characters react to it, there are less enemy patrols, which is a really nice touch. And the biggest decision you have to make in the game has a secret third option, which is awesome.

Ultimately, though, HR was one of the best series reboots I played this gen, and I definitely want to see more, hope we get another full Deus Ex game, don't have any interest in that iOS stuff.

Rocker6

TBH, I loved the DLC content... Exactly for the reasons you state.

A full Deus Ex sequel (disregarding Invisible War), would be awesome.

#24 Posted by Stringerboy (7088 posts) -

Good game, very atmospheric. Sadly I didn't give a shit about the plot or characters even though the premise was quite interesting.

#25 Posted by verbalfilth (4609 posts) -

You should be slapped for waiting this long to play the game. It was amazing.

The only thing I can complain about it is the mandatory boss fights. The og version had the option of bypassing the boss fights through one way or the other.

- play the first one. it still holds up to this day with the exception of graphics, and there are mods for that. I'd be surprised if your laptop can't run it. It must really be ancient if it can't.

The reason why the first one is better than DE:HR in my opinion include:

• more hubs 
  • more options on exploration or gameplay 
  •  Characters are more fleshed out  
  • Story was much better, so was the music IMO. 
  • The upgrades are more detailed and class specific which allowed for a lot of replayability. 
  • I hate it to say it but ...Nostalgia is a big factor for me. You might miss out on this one since you're coming into it a bit late but playing it when it came out was amazing. the options, the scope,...I was just blown out my mind with the number of things I could do in that game. You could tell a lot, and I mean A LOT of thought went into its development. Granted you might see some things that deus ex did well implemented perfectly in some games, but to this day I have yet to find a game that has the whole thing down to a tee in one clean package.
#26 Posted by bbkkristian (14956 posts) -

[QUOTE="IcyFlamez96"]I'm actually typing this on a rocklundy86_4

Is a potato slightly more powerful than a rock?

Doesn't a potato conduct electricity?
#27 Posted by Murderstyle75 (4167 posts) -
Great game. I just need to get back into it.
#28 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

lundy86_4

TBH, I loved the DLC content... Exactly for the reasons you state.

A full Deus Ex sequel (disregarding Invisible War), would be awesome.

Well, this might come as a slight shock, but I actually enjoyed Invisible War. It's the weakest Deus Ex game by far, no arguments there, but I still think it was pretty good in its own right.

Still, if they disregarded it and came up with another Deus Ex sequel, there'd be no complaints from me! :P

#29 Posted by lundy86_4 (43540 posts) -

Doesn't a potato conduct electricity?bbkkristian

It most certainly does. It can, in fact,  power things  :P

#30 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

The only thing I can complain about it is the mandatory boss fights. The og version had the option of bypassing the boss fights through one way or the other.

- play the first one. it still holds up to this day with the exception of graphics, and there are mods for that. I'd be surprised if your laptop can't run it. It must really be ancient if it can't.

• more hubs 
  • The upgrades are more detailed and class specific which allowed for a lot of replayability. 
  • I hate it to say it but ...Nostalgia is a big factor for me. You might miss out on this one since you're coming into it a bit late but playing it when it came out was amazing. the options, the scope,...I was just blown out my mind with the number of things I could do in that game. You could tell a lot, and I mean A LOT of thought went into its development. Granted you might see some things that deus ex did well implemented perfectly in some games, but to this day I have yet to find a game that has the whole thing down to a tee in one clean package.

verbalfilth

I played Deus Ex for the first time I think 2 years ago. It's one of my favorite games and it does hold up to this day, so nostalgia is not a big factor.

#31 Posted by lundy86_4 (43540 posts) -

Well, this might come as a slight shock, but I actually enjoyed Invisible War. It's the weakest Deus Ex game by far, no arguments there, but I still think it was pretty good in its own right.

Still, if they disregarded it and came up with another Deus Ex sequel, there'd be no complaints from me! :P

Rocker6

It's no shock As a game, I enjoyed it as well. It was simply lackluster in comparison to the original :P

#32 Posted by parkurtommo (27244 posts) -

Hated it at first, i got the wrong augmentations (although the principle of having various augmentations and then only having a few that actually make more sense to get early on is stupid), had a hard time in the first few areas because of lack of good augmentations. Later on it started becoming fun. I wasn't a huge fan of the story either, it was so memorable (*sarcasm*) that ... well I can't actually remember a f*cking thing of it.

The bosses were utter shit and didn't belong in the game.

#33 Posted by verbalfilth (4609 posts) -

[QUOTE="verbalfilth"]

• more hubs 

cain006

I played Deus Ex for the first time I think 2 years ago. It's one of my favorite games and it does hold up to this day, so nostalgia is not a big factor.

Its good to know that people getting into it aren't underwhelmed by the game, and also better to know that people like me aren't blowing the praises out of proportion then.
#34 Posted by Zaibach (13457 posts) -

BPoole96

#35 Posted by Blabadon (26639 posts) -

BPoole96
Yep, this. It sits on my shelf screaming "REPLAY ME BITCH" but I don't have the time
#36 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

Blabadon

Yep, this. It sits on my shelf screaming "REPLAY ME BITCH" but I don't have the time

Wait for that Director Cut DLC announced at E3, it'll bring some changes to the boss battles, make them more friendly for us stealthy hacker types. No release date yet, but it should be pretty soon.

#37 Posted by Slashkice (13240 posts) -

Still haven't beaten this game. I left it off at the first city.

#38 Posted by Vaasman (11496 posts) -

What? You liked the ending? It didn't cause as much heartache but I'd say that shit was just as bad as the ME3 ending. 

They spent all that time developing these characters and this universe and setting up player choices, only to get a "choose the ending you like" ending with a monologue and no resolution (I'm still talking about DE:HR here.)

Boss fights were bad too.

Great game otherwise. Loved walking around the cities and playing stealthy and seeing all the ways to reach the different goals.

#39 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34159 posts) -

I never played the first game, so I didn't really have any expectations going into the game or much to compare Human Revolution. That being said I played the game and enjoyed it immensly. One of the better games I've played this gen.

#40 Posted by silversix_ (14794 posts) -
Awesome game with shitty engine. The forced stealth is the only other thing i didn't liked.
#41 Posted by metal_zombie (2288 posts) -
It was ok there was something i didn't like about it but overall a good game
#42 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

What? You liked the ending? It didn't cause as much heartache but I'd say that shit was just as bad as the ME3 ending. 

They spent all that time developing these characters and this universe and setting up player choices, only to get a "choose the ending you like" ending with a monologue and no resolution (I'm still talking about DE:HR here.)

Boss fights were bad too.

Great game otherwise. Loved walking around the cities and playing stealthy and seeing all the ways to reach the different goals.

Vaasman

It didn't bother me much because the Deus Ex series was always about choice in gameplay not story. Even in the original you didn't really choose much and when you chose different stuff storywise, it usually was gameplay (ex: learning the password to the robot lady to cause her to self destruct.) And the ending to Deus Ex was a choose what you like with no resolution other than a little monologue that basically amounted to a description of what you chose.

#43 Posted by 1oh1nine1 (779 posts) -

I enjoyed it immensely, but I felt it was too short, especially compared to the original.  Plus, I think there was just more options/thought/trickery built into the original.

#44 Posted by IcyFlamez96 (1355 posts) -

I thought the soundtrack was amazing too. Just... ughhhh it was so tense a parts. Especially throughout the end. 

The Namir Boss fight had awesome music also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5eiShGVUzqo#t=58s

#45 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -
I enjoyed it, but the backstory didn't grab me. I wanted to read about the crazy transhumanist cyber-future itself, not so much the ethics and conflicting philosophies behind it.
#46 Posted by jg4xchamp (48376 posts) -
The opening is boredom fuel. Stopped playing.
#47 Posted by N30F3N1X (8002 posts) -

It has some flaws, especially in the story, but it's an overall amazing game. No doubt GotY 2011 for thinking men.

#48 Posted by foxhound_fox (88743 posts) -
Haven't played it. Waiting for Wii U "remake" (or whatever it is).
#49 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -
The opening is boredom fuel. Stopped playing. jg4xchamp
You mean when the terrorists attack the labs? That's a terrible opening, it makes you play the game in the least fun way possible.
#50 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Haven't played it. Waiting for Wii U "remake" (or whatever it is).

It's coming to PC, PS3, and 360 too.