So... what could stop DS2 from getting GOTY this year

• 131 results
#101 Posted by blamix (192 posts) -

Dark Souls 2 is the best 2014 game out there right now, it is my #1. South Park comes 2nd, but there are still HOT games coming like Arkham Knight, The Order 1886, Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros U and Dragon Age 3. So Dark Souls might lose again like it lostto that super boring crappy game Skyrim

#102 Posted by hehe101 (602 posts) -

it won't

#103 Edited by JangoWuzHere (16089 posts) -

The fact that it's not as good as Dark Souls 1?

#104 Posted by jhonMalcovich (4503 posts) -

@AznbkdX said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@jhonMalcovich: anything really... its nothing new, its dumbed down... much easier than even dark souls 1.

Its a good game.... but why the hell is this locked on GOTY for you?

I must be the only one who thinks DS 2 is harder than 1.

Nope, I think so too. Part of it is due to Estus getting nerfed (slower chug animation, less uses), melee-only heavy armor builds being less viable in PvE (in DaS1 you could tank everything with a high-stability greatshield like GS of Artorias), repeated deaths reducing your health bar gradually, DEX and STR scaling being nerfed, rolling having less iframes, less OP weapons afforded to the player early-game. And then the other parts are enemy hitboxes being out of wack and a lot of boss fights just throwing adds at you to raise the difficulty.

Not true. I have a tank build in DS2 and It is the easiest way to play the game. I can take any boss attack with only a small stamina loss, except probably magic attacks,

#105 Edited by Nonstop-Madness (9469 posts) -

#106 Posted by ZombeGoast (408 posts) -

In my opinion, Dark Souls 2 is an unquestionable GOTY, a pure master piece. Greatly improved over its predecesors.

No its nor even opinion based.

#107 Edited by silversix_ (14051 posts) -

Its unstoppable, the game is a fucking masterpiece.

#108 Posted by foxhound_fox (87623 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

Pretty much every other game coming out this year.

^never played. Or too noob to stand up to the difficulty.

Demon's and Dark Souls aren't hard games, they punish impatience and Rambo-style.

Anyone who has played them should know this by now.

Personally, I can't get into DkS2. It just doesn't feel anything like the first game. I also have a feeling that Destiny is going to sweep a ton of awards this year, probably even on Gamespot.

#109 Posted by Cloud_imperium (2478 posts) -

Dark Souls 2 will stop itself from being GOTY . On other hand , Dragon Age : Inquisition looks so far the most interesting game of this year (even though I hated DA 2) .

#111 Edited by Vaasman (11223 posts) -

Transistor

/dropmic

Edit: Are people seriously listing Mario Kart? On what planet does a casual party go-kart racer have a snowball's chance at GOTY? Not that I don't like the series but come on now.

#112 Edited by RageQuit4Life (349 posts) -

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare will get GOTY award, look like a GOTY material to me.

#113 Edited by santoron (7690 posts) -

Dark Souls 2 will stop itself from being GOTY . On other hand , Dragon Age : Inquisition looks so far the most interesting game of this year (even though I hated DA 2) .

Agreed on all points. GS won't give DS2 GoTY here. Of what hasn't been delayed til next year, DA:Inquisition looks like the strongest candidate.

#114 Edited by mbrockway (3399 posts) -

Any site that doesn't give DS2 GOTY will be called casual noobs. Its likely going to win because it not winning would be admitting they aren't hardcore. "We get it, those noobs at 9GN and 8Spot just aren't hardcore like we are."

#115 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (6963 posts) -

Any site that doesn't give DS2 GOTY will be called casual noobs. Its likely going to win because it not winning would be admitting they aren't hardcore. "We get it, those noobs at 9GN and 8Spot just aren't hardcore like we are."

Well, they could always save face by giving the award to Bayonetta 2. That game is going to be more hardcore than Dark Souls 2, anyway.

#116 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1320 posts) -

Mario Kart 8, Monolith Softs X game, Rocksteadys' Batman Arkham Knight could all win GOTY. Zelda HD.

#117 Edited by ShepardCommandr (2388 posts) -

Pretty much every other game coming out this year.

pretty much yeah

#118 Edited by D4RKL1NG (234 posts) -

Call Of Warfare: Future Duty will take it by default because Kevin Spacy

#119 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2563 posts) -

@jhonMalcovich: Well, it's barely May, and we really have no idea what's coming out the second half of this year. If I had to guess, the GOTY is probably something we haven't even heard of yet.

#120 Edited by TheGuardian03 (21520 posts) -

Arkham Knight, i think it will be amazing and GOTY here.

#121 Edited by MBirdy88 (7646 posts) -

@princeofshapeir said:

@AznbkdX said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@jhonMalcovich: anything really... its nothing new, its dumbed down... much easier than even dark souls 1.

Its a good game.... but why the hell is this locked on GOTY for you?

I must be the only one who thinks DS 2 is harder than 1.

Nope, I think so too. Part of it is due to Estus getting nerfed (slower chug animation, less uses), melee-only heavy armor builds being less viable in PvE (in DaS1 you could tank everything with a high-stability greatshield like GS of Artorias), repeated deaths reducing your health bar gradually, DEX and STR scaling being nerfed, rolling having less iframes, less OP weapons afforded to the player early-game. And then the other parts are enemy hitboxes being out of wack and a lot of boss fights just throwing adds at you to raise the difficulty.

Were we playing different games? after less than 2 hours of play when killing the first boss and its afterward-optional boss I recieved the Drangliec armor ... that carried me through 90% of the content... nearly killed all 4 elder souls with it... after that... difference was minimal.

Roll is about the same. Estus is just as good when you get further in... but I felt the game prior to that was easier so I didn't notice... especially considering they throw healing items at you around every corner (exaguration).

DEX/STR scaling doesn't mean much... and the lost health doesn't either... because of the 75% ring AND once again the fact that the "humanity" equivilant's are also thrown at you... and buyable.

The overall level design is far easier.

Oh and pure melee build here.... same as DS1.... hardly any difference. the only big noticable change is how Poise works... and even that was small. (outside of pvp)

#122 Posted by MBirdy88 (7646 posts) -

@blamix said:

Dark Souls 2 is the best 2014 game out there right now, it is my #1. South Park comes 2nd, but there are still HOT games coming like Arkham Knight, The Order 1886, Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros U and Dragon Age 3. So Dark Souls might lose again like it lostto that super boring crappy game Skyrim

Dark Souls will never win another GOTY... because its lost its "look at me, I'm different" appeal.

#123 Posted by mbrockway (3399 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@blamix said:

Dark Souls will never win another GOTY... because its lost its "look at me, I'm different" appeal.

But its gained "if you don't play me you aren't a gamer" appeal. I think the DS series might have the distinction of being the cheapest made retail AAA series.

#124 Posted by MBirdy88 (7646 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@blamix said:

But its gained "if you don't play me you aren't a gamer" appeal. I think the DS series might have the distinction of being the cheapest made retail AAA series.

possibly... the production values are still a dissapointment considering their success... I hope this PS4 title, or at least a next gen dark souls 3 has a massive techinical shake-up.

#125 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

You People take the GOTY way too seriously... Some actually believe its a legitimate award determined through thoughtfull analysis by "Experts"....

#126 Posted by Sweenix (5397 posts) -

Project beast.

You know, a game that herms will never get to play

#127 Posted by jhonMalcovich (4503 posts) -

@Sweenix said:

Project beast.

You know, a game that herms will never get to play

The game that only exists in cows heads XD

#128 Edited by KiZZo1 (3965 posts) -

While still an excellent game it's the worst in the series. Out of nostalgia I booted Demon's Souls after finishing DS2, and found it to be more atmospheric - for example the Nexus vs Majula, the difference is huge to me. Strangely it also ran a lot better. No area was as memorable to me as the ones found in DS1 - nothing like Tomb of Giants, the Crystal Caves, Ruins of new Londo or the Abyss (except the fog forest maybe).

#129 Edited by edwardecl (2101 posts) -

Dark Souls 2 could have done with a bit more development time... It's still a great game but some silly things hold it back.

For example you have a tutorial level that focuses on showing you new game features such as torches and interacting with objects like the trees to kick them down, then after that you only have to use those features one or two times anything worthwhile, the only time you kick down a tree is in Huntsman's Copse to open a meaningless shortcut that you never use, lighting the torches is almost pointless apart from in the Gutter but even then it's not required.

Then you have the level with the zip lines... that really added nothing and was only used twice... there was no area like Sen's Fortress in the game hardly any traps outside chests and the Iron Keep area with only one set of flame traps you had to avoid, which was not exactly hard when you can turn them off just after it. It seems like they came up with a lot of good ideas for stuff, then decided to cut it all out or perhaps these things were last minute additions.

I know a lot of game get put down for over using things, but in this case they under used everything. They could have made the levels bigger just using some of these features more than once.

#130 Edited by speedfog (3035 posts) -

@Couth_ said:

Whenever a solid statement like OP is made, all the haters come out in droves yet no one can provide an answer.. It's definitely not going to be titanfall. Destiny is a LONG shot... maybe some random indie game is all the DS haters can hope for

Why not Titanfall? It had great scores.

#131 Posted by jake44 (1960 posts) -

Dark Souls 2 could have done with a bit more development time... It's still a great game but some silly things hold it back.

For example you have a tutorial level that focuses on showing you new game features such as torches and interacting with objects like the trees to kick them down, then after that you only have to use those features one or two times anything worthwhile, the only time you kick down a tree is in Huntsman's Copse to open a meaningless shortcut that you never use, lighting the torches is almost pointless apart from in the Gutter but even then it's not required.

Then you have the level with the zip lines... that really added nothing and was only used twice... there was no area like Sen's Fortress in the game hardly any traps outside chests and the Iron Keep area with only one set of flame traps you had to avoid, which was not exactly hard when you can turn them off just after it. It seems like they came up with a lot of good ideas for stuff, then decided to cut it all out or perhaps these things were last minute additions.

I know a lot of game get put down for over using things, but in this case they under used everything. They could have made the levels bigger just using some of these features more than once.

That's pretty much my feelings on it. Plus the bosses were mainly disappointing and the game needed more enemy variety. Still the best game I've played this year though.

#132 Posted by with_teeth26 (6053 posts) -

I already enjoyed The Banner Saga more. DS2 feels thrown together, like they looked at the individual elements of what made DS1 good without taking in the entire picture.

#133 Posted by heguain (551 posts) -

This. and Watch_Dogs . But since RPG is my favourite genre and if it turns out to be amazing then, DAI also would be my goty.

#134 Posted by Roler42 (587 posts) -

Transistor and Dreadout come to mind