So we all agree that Atlus are the greatest developers ever

• 131 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by charizard1605 (55278 posts) -

I mean, dudes don't know how to make a bad game, and every game they do make is like fucking crack. And they are getting better and better- look at how amazing Persona 4 Golden and Shin Megami Tensei IV are!

They're consistent, and they make incredible games. They have a great portfolio of games, and they tackle themes games otherwise do not.

Also, they did make the greatest RPG ever, so there is that.

#2 Posted by bbkkristian (14886 posts) -

Yes, they make and publish the greatest games ever.

Code of Princess = GOAT. And that other jrpg on vita they made.

#3 Edited by PhazonBlazer (11460 posts) -

#4 Posted by charizard1605 (55278 posts) -

Yes, they make and publish the greatest games ever.

Code of Princess = GOAT. And that other jrpg on vita they made.

Dragon's Crown?

No wait, that's not an RPG

#5 Posted by bbkkristian (14886 posts) -

Get out, Naughty Dog is the Lindsey Lohan of Video Games.

#6 Edited by GreySeal9 (23974 posts) -

As much as I love the Shin Megami Tensei games (I'm enjoying Radiant Historia as well), I'm going to have to say no.

They are absolute masters when it comes to story, writing, and gameplay, but they tend to get really lazy with the level design. Just look at the repetitive dungeons of Persona or the less repetitive but still not varied enough dungeons of Digital Devil Saga/Nocturne or the somewhat bland environments of Radiant Historia.

#7 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16608 posts) -

They are certainly great devs and publishers. The thing I like msot about them is that they really do serve their fans. They will bring over an incredibly obscure RPG even if they KNOW it won't sell well.

SMTIV was good... I got the Neutral Ending though, and thought that having to complete so many side quests without actually knowing which ones was a massive pain in the ass.

#8 Edited by freedom01 (577 posts) -

from the Japanese game developers, yes, Atlus is one of the greatest developer, not only RPG also, but games like Catherine was very fun

#9 Posted by dobzilian (2490 posts) -

Who?

#10 Edited by remiks00 (1621 posts) -

Atlus are mah homies, and I love Naughty Dog as well.

#11 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8092 posts) -

I like Altus games but most of them seem like they are not current last or even 15 year old gen graphic wise. Sometimes it seems like I am playing a snes game.

#12 Posted by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

Nope, Naughty Gods beat them. I love Dragon's Crown but Uncharted 2 is one of the greatest games of all time.....of all time!

#13 Edited by mems_1224 (46137 posts) -

Im playing Persona 4 for PS2 right now for the first time and its incredible. Its a shame I missed out on this

#14 Posted by Pffrbt (6446 posts) -

Most of Atlus' RPGs I find incredibly boring, especially Persona 3 and 4. Right now PlatinumGames is the greatest developer.

#15 Posted by charizard1605 (55278 posts) -

Im playing Persona 4 for PS2 right now for the first time and its incredible. Its a shame I missed out on this

What part you at? Use spoiler tags

#16 Edited by Gue1 (9339 posts) -

if anything they are kings of mediocrity. Of all their games only those made by the SMT team are worth playing. And to be honest, the first 2 Persona games even though darker and more serious in tone they weren't as good. That's why it wasn't till Persona 3 came out that people started to really notice Atlus.

#17 Posted by charizard1605 (55278 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

if anything they are kings of mediocrity. Of all their games only those made by the SMT team are worth playing. And to be honest, the first 2 Persona games even though darker and more serious in tone they weren't as good. That's why it wasn't till Persona 3 came out that people started to notice Atlus.

Or, they didn't notice them because Atlus games never released in the west until then.

#18 Edited by Gue1 (9339 posts) -

@bbkkristian said:

developer and games of the generation. Naughty Gods. To this date not even a single bad game and that deserves respect.

#19 Posted by millerlight89 (18338 posts) -

They are decent, but there are so many better devs out there. Naughty Dog, Bungie, Ninty, Bioware, Ubisoft, etc. If 343 continues its greatness with Halo 4 they will too have an amazing legacy.

#20 Posted by dobzilian (2490 posts) -

Theyre ok, ive only played 2 or 3 of their games. Luminous Arc 2, knights in th2 nightmare.

#21 Posted by farrell2k (5551 posts) -

Nah, more like the Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt of video games.

#22 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38194 posts) -

I'd say they're underrated at least because a lot of people don't even know who they are. Persona 4 is legit though albeit really bland level design wise

Gonna get P4G for my Vita soon for sure though

#23 Posted by Trail_Mix (2021 posts) -

Of course! Couldn't agree more!

#24 Posted by GeoffZak (3715 posts) -

"Atlus" on the cover of a box is like a seal of quality. If you ever see their name on a game, you know it's a good game. I've bought games Atlus has developed or published in the past simply because their name is on it. I assume it's going to be a good game, and my assumption has never been wrong.

Even if they were only the publisher, I know the game is gonna be good because Atlus makes good decisions.

I may have to agree. Persona 1 - 4 are all classics, Catherine is an instant classic, Trauma Team makes me want to become a doctor, and Digital Devil Saga and Nocturne are amazing games with amazing atmosphere.

I feel bad for anyone who hasn't played some of Atlus' best games. Anyone who hasn't played Persona 3 or 4 is really missing out.

#25 Edited by GeoffZak (3715 posts) -
@bbkkristian said:

I may even go as far to say Naughty Dog is the Justin Bieber of video games. They're so full of themselves. In my opinion, Uncharted and The Last of Us are very pretentious.

#26 Posted by Jankarcop (8893 posts) -

Naughty Dog make good interactive-movies, they should try video games though.

Also UC1 and TLOU both flopped badly here.

#27 Edited by madsnakehhh (14043 posts) -

Lol, not at all, they are great that's for sure.

#28 Edited by Xaero_Gravity (8694 posts) -

@GeoffZak said:

"Atlus" on the cover of a box is like a seal of quality. If you ever see their name on a game, you know it's a good game. I've bought games Atlus has developed or published in the past simply because their name is on it. I assume it's going to be a good game, and my assumption has never been wrong.

Even if they were only the publisher, I know the game is gonna be good because Atlus makes good decisions.

I may have to agree. Persona 1 - 4 are all classics, Catherine is an instant classic, Trauma Team makes me want to become a doctor, and Digital Devil Saga and Nocturne are amazing games with amazing atmosphere.

I feel bad for anyone who hasn't played some of Atlus' best games. Anyone who hasn't played Persona 3 or 4 is really missing out.

Yup, it sure is.

#29 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8694 posts) -

And for the record, I love Atlus, but they've published a lot of shit so that statement is ridiculous.

#30 Posted by charizard1605 (55278 posts) -

Naughty Dog make good interactive-movies, they should try video games though.

Also UC1 and TLOU both flopped badly here.

Okay?

#31 Edited by da_illest101 (7408 posts) -

I cannot name a atlus game that I cared about so no.

#32 Edited by cfisher2833 (1540 posts) -

Ugh....no. That'd have to go to:

Seriously. Can any other dev studio really match their level of not only quality, but also variety?

#33 Posted by PannicAtack (20921 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

@bbkkristian said:

developer and games of the generation. Naughty Gods. To this date not even a single bad game and that deserves respect.

Uncharted and that "use the sixaxis to aim your grenades" mechanic say hi.

#34 Edited by ShepardCommandr (2256 posts) -
#35 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26225 posts) -

I havent run into a bad atlus game so far though that could always change. Though I will give them props for publishing.

#36 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6719 posts) -

Greatest RPG developers maybe, but not overall.

#37 Posted by Whiteblade999 (5536 posts) -

Nah, Obsidian is the best overall now-a-days imo, with CD Projekt Red as a close second.

#38 Posted by jg4xchamp (46966 posts) -

No, their best work is fine. But they have some god awful dungeon designs in those persona games in between some genuinely good ones. Yeah the story stuff is a lot of fun. You know so long as you keep it in the for a videogame story bubble. But the gameplay has its short comings. Nocturne is dope as fuck though. That battle system is so satisfying.

#39 Posted by Ghost120x (3680 posts) -

Nope. Some uninformed people probably think they are only responsible for persona games and SMT. But when you see games published by atlus called Tokyo beat down....

I got this game for FOUR DOLLARS and I still feel cheated.

#40 Edited by -RPGamer- (34283 posts) -

I love Atlus, BUT even with their Persona series I have issues, like terrible level design to the point where I actively dislike going into any of the games "dungeons". Also, Perona games use one of gamings biggest design faux pas IMHO with their time limit.

Add to that pretty lack luster titles like Catherine and I have a hard time saying they're THE greatest. I can easy say they are one of though.

#41 Posted by tymeservesfate (1486 posts) -

Nope, Naughty Gods beat them. I love Dragon's Crown but Uncharted 2 is one of the greatest games of all time.....of all time!

@I_can_haz: oh ok, now i see why consider you a fool...geez man, smh lol. no wonder the majority of the time you just post pix on here instead of 'trying' to form ur own thought. you must have loved picture books as a child, huh Haz? lol ;) but on topic....Atlus is a pretty awesome developer *cough*

#42 Posted by Suppaman100 (3693 posts) -

On par with Naughty Dog at the moment.

Atlus is the best jap dev now, Naughty Dog is the best in the west now.

#43 Edited by TheGuardian03 (21417 posts) -

Kojima Productions says hi, i loved every game Kojima made, he hasn't made a bad game.

#44 Posted by MrYaotubo (2587 posts) -

Not even close,although they have some pretty cool games.

#45 Posted by freedomfreak (38631 posts) -

Ugh....no. That'd have to go to:

Seriously. Can any other dev studio really match their level of not only quality, but also variety?

Nice to see Klei get some love. Gonna check out Don't Starve next month. I'm excited for that.

#46 Posted by yokofox33 (29179 posts) -

Damn straight they are best. They pander to my taste in video games.

#47 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6516 posts) -

Theyve got a lot of shit under their name and the gameplay/level design in their games is quite mediocre. They make good stories but thats about it

#48 Posted by Lucianu (9308 posts) -

I mean, dudes don't know how to make a bad game, and every game they do make is like fucking crack. And they are getting better and better- look at how amazing Persona 4 Golden and Shin Megami Tensei IV are!

They're consistent, and they make incredible games. They have a great portfolio of games, and they tackle themes games otherwise do not.

Also, they did make the greatest RPG ever, so there is that.

They are a talented development team, and i'm glad SEGA promised not to screw around with them, leaving them to do their own thing and even letting them do something, if they want, with some of SEGA's dormant IPs. A sequel to Phantasy Star IV, Shining Force III and Panzer motherfucking Dragoon Saga? Yes please.

The future of SEGA is very intriguing to me right now.

#49 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

/laughs at any thread starting off with "we all agree", or "can we all agree"

#50 Posted by Some-Mist (5630 posts) -

@GeoffZak said:

hopefully you didn't get suckered into buying The Cursed Crusade.

anyway, I like Atlus developed/published games, but they definitely aren't my favorite. That would probably go to Treasure or CAVE.