So...this gen=last gen +?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

What's with these remasters? Why can't they make new games instead?

Don't get me wrong. I'm a hardcore pc gamer. I love myself some eye candy. The last console game I played was GTA V though, and before that it was a few years (I think Halo Reach was the last console game I played before that). I really have nothing against consoles, but even last gen I had a 360 AND ps3 just for the few exclusives I could enjoy, even though I mostly play pc. I haven't felt any urge to buy current consoles yet because of a lack of new and interesting "must have" titles. I'd buy one or both new consoles if I had a reason to.

If I owned a current gen console, I'd be pissed. These remakes are a slap to the face of gaming enthusiasts (gamers are gamers after all, as even consoles are weak pc's in a closed system, but we are all together in that we love our games!)

Don't buy any more "remake" crap. Our money needs to send a message to these corporations to make some new games!

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

It's last gen..

.. at 1080P.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44535 Posts

So just don't buy them and play the games that aren't remakes.

rabakill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 rabakill
Member since 2004 • 884 Posts

It's last gen plus....

online fees and release day dlc

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

This is Generation Milk

and its about to cause a gaming crash like in the 1980's

how far will the industry go before people get fed up with startup dlc pay to win and remastered old games with no backward compatibility

this is it folks the studios aren't even trying anymore just all about milking every last drop out of some beta test or remaster

ppl won't buy next gen ppl won't buy shit

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Yep, that's what I've been saying since launch 2013.

I think this trend will slow down big time in 2016?

I hope...

(Yes, I know there will always be a market for remasters, but the cross gen development is what I'm pointing at)

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#8 cainetao11  Online
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@demi0227_basic said:

What's with these remasters? Why can't they make new games instead?

Don't get me wrong. I'm a hardcore pc gamer. I love myself some eye candy. The last console game I played was GTA V though, and before that it was a few years (I think Halo Reach was the last console game I played before that). I really have nothing against consoles, but even last gen I had a 360 AND ps3 just for the few exclusives I could enjoy, even though I mostly play pc. I haven't felt any urge to buy current consoles yet because of a lack of new and interesting "must have" titles. I'd buy one or both new consoles if I had a reason to.

If I owned a current gen console, I'd be pissed. These remakes are a slap to the face of gaming enthusiasts (gamers are gamers after all, as even consoles are weak pc's in a closed system, but we are all together in that we love our games!)

Don't buy any more "remake" crap. Our money needs to send a message to these corporations to make some new games!

I am so with you. I have not spent a dollar of my money on remasters. I wont keep them as gifts anymore either.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts

No, this is this gen.. I'm confused?

NewWellofGabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NewWellofGabe
Member since 2015 • 113 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

It's last gen..

.. at 1080P.

Tell that to Battlefield: Hardline, Watch Dogs....

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#11 cainetao11  Online
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

last gen was better. There is no equals here

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Remasters aren't anything new. The only thing that's picked up is the amount of whining about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Remasters are not bad. Games that aren't even 5 years old, largely only a year or two being remastered are.

And there's no effort put into them either.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 demi0227_basic

@newwellofgabe said:

@freedomfreak said:

It's last gen..

.. at 1080P.

You mean BF: 3.75, and GTA 3.5 that's worse in every possible way except graphics?

Outside of slightly improved graphics, those games do nothing new.

On the case of last gen being @1080p, that's the truth. New consoles are just enough to run last gen's games in hd. It's unfortunate.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

Good ideas should be conserved, and good games should be conserved and updated for future generations. I am actually even okay with the idea of infinite sequels if the game has a good concept.

NewWellofGabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NewWellofGabe

@demi0227_basic:

I was saying that those two games are not at 1080p on any new console.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#17 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Games this gen take longer to make, so remasters are a quick and dirty way to make profit and make people think there are plenty of games.

Santesyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 Santesyu
Member since 2008 • 4451 Posts

@demi0227_basic: Remakes are just like DLC the only reason people keep making them is because people keep buying them, this will be a new trend that will not go away sadly..

playharderfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 playharderfool
Member since 2009 • 2085 Posts

Because someone put a gun to your head and said, "buy"?

You vote with dollars, it's not a hard concept to grasp. Buy what you want leave the rest on the shelf.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13659 Posts

@demi0227_basic said:

If I owned a current gen console, I'd be pissed.

Yep, the current gen is a gen of broken promises.

Bit better graphics for the most part, no new experiences, a load of remakes, multiplats and shit games.

Yeah I'm pissed. Why I went over to the PC.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I'm still waiting for a FF12 remaster so jog off.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

So far to me it just feels like an "extention" of last gen. It's boring and I'm seriously thinking of skipping it.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

these first 2 years have been the worst first 2 years of any gen ever.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@Gue1 said:

Yea no

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#25 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@Slashkice said:

I'll buy what I want, thanks.

Remakes/remasters aren't stopping new games from coming out at all.

This... It's the same for the people who bitch about indies... If you don't like don't buy.. Those games don't stop AAA games from being made, as they are made by smaller studios. I own over 50 games for my PS4 so yeah, not missing out on the games like some here want to portray with their agenda (and I own 400+ pc games, 100+ ps3 games, 150+vita games(psp/ps1 incl), 20+ 3ds games etc...... )

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#26 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet said:

@demi0227_basic said:

Bit better graphics for the most part, no new experiences, a load of remakes, multiplats and shit games.

Why do you people seem to think pc and consoles can't co-exist? I play both.. have games on both. play consoles style games on console (Playstation family) and pc style games on PC.... meaning : Anything that plays better with a controller I get on console, anything that plays better with keyboard and mouse or only with that I get on PC... and get practivcally every good handheld game.

Maybe because I am an adult with a career, I can buy this stuff. It makes me wonder if the people who can only have one or the other are kids who only get a few games during the holidays and don't have jobs or are too lazy to work?

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#28 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
@demi0227_basic said:

@newwellofgabe said:

@freedomfreak said:

It's last gen..

.. at 1080P.

You mean BF: 3.75, and GTA 3.5 that's worse in every possible way except graphics?

Outside of slightly improved graphics, those games do nothing new.

On the case of last gen being @1080p, that's the truth. New consoles are just enough to run last gen's games in hd. It's unfortunate.

Obviously he meant that those games weren't even 1080p, not that they were somehow not last gen.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@Slashkice said:

No your right, instead it further encourages the murdering of backwards compatibility.... congratulations...

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

It's a slow start. Games are more expensive than ever to develop (blockbuster ones anyway) and the 360 and PS3 are still alive and well.

Hopefully the gen can properly start this year with Arkham Knight :D

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 demi0227_basic

@playharderfool said:

Because someone put a gun to your head and said, "buy"?

You vote with dollars, it's not a hard concept to grasp. Buy what you want leave the rest on the shelf.

Wait a second...are you telling me I can buy what I want!?? Thanks for the enlightenment dude! You really brought this discussion to another level.

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:
@Slashkice said:

No your right, instead it further encourages the murdering of backwards compatibility.... congratulations...

You can't be serious...remasters selling well is NOT the reason BC is getting murdered. It's hard to advance gaming hardware if you stay constrained by the previous gens chip microarchitecture, I'm glad the xbox/ps moved to x86. That being said now that the major consoles use x86 we should see next gen bring back BC.

Some master race right there...

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#33 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@ProtossX said:

This is Generation Milk

and its about to cause a gaming crash like in the 1980's

how far will the industry go before people get fed up with startup dlc pay to win and remastered old games with no backward compatibility

this is it folks the studios aren't even trying anymore just all about milking every last drop out of some beta test or remaster

ppl won't buy next gen ppl won't buy shit

True my friend. Current state of game industry is just,,, sad.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18791 Posts

@Midnightshade29: "Maybe because I am an adult with a career, I can buy this stuff. It makes me wonder if the people who can only have one or the other are kids who only get a few games during the holidays and don't have jobs or are too lazy to work?"

What a dumbass comment.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#35 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Well, i remember the first Playstation getting alot of remakes (Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom, Quake, Quake 2, Half Life, Warcraft 2, C&C and sooo many others).

People just love to complain. I see on PS4 and X1 new games, retail, indies, sequels, new IPs, remasters, remakes, etc.....games for every one.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

I really don't understand why some people complain about remasters. They don't hurt anybody and can be beneficial.

If you don't want them, you don't have to buy them, simple as that; nobody is going to force you to spend money on them.

There are many people that do want them though, as evidenced by how well they sell. Some people never got to play these games before because they may not have owned the last console it was on and some people have played and loved the game so much that they want an even more improved version of the game. Remasters are great for these people.

"But I want new games!", you say? Remasters are not stopping new games from being made. Remasters take very little time and resources to make; they are made by separate and smaller teams; often with only two or three people from the core development team overseeing it; while the rest are still working on new games. Not only are they keeping people employed and giving interns and new hires development experience which benefits the industry as a whole, but since they tend to sell so well while taking so little resources to make; developers make a lot of money from them and that money can then be used to help fund the new games that you want. So even the people that don't like remasters are benefiting from them, so please quit complaining.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13659 Posts

@Midnightshade29 said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:

@demi0227_basic said:

Why do you people seem to think pc and consoles can't co-exist? I play both.. have games on both. play consoles style games on console (Playstation family) and pc style games on PC.... meaning : Anything that plays better with a controller I get on console, anything that plays better with keyboard and mouse or only with that I get on PC... and get practivcally every good handheld game.

Maybe because I am an adult with a career, I can buy this stuff. It makes me wonder if the people who can only have one or the other are kids who only get a few games during the holidays and don't have jobs or are too lazy to work?

Most current gen console games are multiplat. When I plug a controller in to my PC, I can play those same games, just as well, performing how I like. Maybe even better than consoles since most PC games can be played at 60fps, even if that means sacrificing some settings, that's a choice I get to make.

My beef with consoles if that now with so much of it is multiplat, there's less use for them. There's what, a two or three retail exclusives a year? The rest is on the PC. At least the Xbox 360 had a lot of multiplats only with the PS3, so you still needed a console.

IF that last sentence aimed at me, even if indirectly, it was uncalled for and is both presumptuous and stupid. I have a job, I own a current gen console, but now I mostly game on the PC. I paid a lot for my current gen console, I have earned the right to be disappointed with the current direction of consoles, and call it out when it doesn't deliver.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 demi0227_basic

@PSP107 said:

@Midnightshade29: "Maybe because I am an adult with a career, I can buy this stuff. It makes me wonder if the people who can only have one or the other are kids who only get a few games during the holidays and don't have jobs or are too lazy to work?"

What a dumbass comment.

I think it's an astute comment. I've often wondered about the issue myself. There's a pretty large mix of people in here that make plenty of money, along with kids that can't buy their own stuff, and everything in between. My pc and peripherals for it tops $3k. I don't have a Xbone or PS4 not because of lack of funds, but because I haven't yet seen the value in a purchase yet. It's like when people talk about a $700ish pc being so expensive...to me, that's not much if you enjoy gaming as a hobby. If your a healthy, capable adult, even with a shit job, you should still be able to afford a decent pc and console or 2 within a year of work. Unless your pot habit is too big! Mwahahaha!

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@demi0227_basic said:

@PSP107 said:

What a dumbass comment.

I think it's an astute comment. I've often wondered about the issue myself. There's a pretty large mix of people in here that make plenty of money, along with kids that can't buy their own stuff, and everything in between. My pc and peripherals for it tops $3k. I don't have a Xbone or PS4 not because of lack of funds, but because I haven't yet seen the value in a purchase yet. It's like when people talk about a $700ish pc being so expensive...to me, that's not much if you enjoy gaming as a hobby. If your a healthy, capable adult, even with a shit job, you should still be able to afford a decent pc and console or 2 within a year of work. Unless your pot habit is too big! Mwahahaha!

Yeah as a PC gamer I would have jumped on to getting a PS4 if the thing wasn't a piece of shit.. I remember going to my friends house for the launch to check it out.. Turn on.. Hmm thats funny you have absolutely NO access to any of your PSN titles you could play on your PSP/PS3/Vita interchangably including PSone titles.. Whats that? They cut off the numerous multi media features the PS3 had? Whats that the thing can't even read a fucking music cd you put into it?

I remember the Sony fanboys talking how they thought Sony knew what gamers wanted.. Yet they are spearheading one of the worse trends in gaming, far worse than dlc.. That is the complete destruction of backwards compatibility.. So they can re-release remasters of games that are as young as a year old at it's release with some face lifts, boom $50.. Now we are hearing they are going to "remaster" God of War 3... Basically having people rebuying games many already owned with a slight face lift that mods on computers have been doing for free (with greater affect) for over a decade.. So what I am seeing here is a incredibly crippled console hardware wise with not even the features or the libraries of the past gen to hold it up, meanwhile Sony is piece mailing it back to you at near full retail.. This is all while the system is releasing the same theme park AAA games we have been getting last gen with minimal difference if any outside of a face lift.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18791 Posts

@sSubZerOo: @demi0227_basic:

He just needs to get out more. learn more on how people have a different view on expensive/inexpensive.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

@Gue1 said:

This must be your first gen gaming.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#43 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

because ... they can't come up with new good games so the put a little more sugar coating to old popular game. If I think of a good game for PS4 I think about GATV and The Last Of Us ... two games that I played on the PS3 ... what is the only good game fro the X1 ? Halo MCC ... yeah

NewWellofGabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 NewWellofGabe

@Coco_pierrot said:

what is the only good game fro the X1 ? Halo MCC ... yeah

And even that released as a broken mess.

Avatar image for meluvulongtime8
meluvulongtime8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 14

#45 meluvulongtime8
Member since 2007 • 1428 Posts
@SolidTy said:

I hope...

(Yes, I know there will always be a market for remasters, but the cross gen development is what I'm pointing at)

I hope you're right about 2016. The amount of remasters plus cross gen games is what bothers me too. Remasters are nice if you missed or passed on a game from a previous gen, but there's not much for games specifically for the new gen of consoles. I think it's even more glaring because of some hum-drum current gen titles. Really hoping Bloodborne delivers

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@meluvulongtime8 said:
@SolidTy said:

I hope...

I hope you're right about 2016. The amount of remasters plus cross gen games is what bothers me too. Remasters are nice if you missed or passed on a game from a previous gen, but there's not much for games specifically for the new gen of consoles. I think it's even more glaring because of some hum-drum current gen titles. Really hoping Bloodborne delivers

I hope so as well, both on the 2016 and Bloodborne front... :)

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#47 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

It's last gen..

.. at 1080P.

Gen 7 Remastered.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@achilles614 said:

@MBirdy88 said:
@Slashkice said:

You can't be serious...remasters selling well is NOT the reason BC is getting murdered. It's hard to advance gaming hardware if you stay constrained by the previous gens chip microarchitecture, I'm glad the xbox/ps moved to x86. That being said now that the major consoles use x86 we should see next gen bring back BC.

Some master race right there...

I'm sure you will be telling yourself that when they do the same s*it next generation.