So Sony really has everyone fooled....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts

So the other day I randomly ask about 10-15 people that I know that have Xbox One's if they were going to get Destiny. I was blown away that all but 2 of them answered me with " Isn't that only for PS4"? I looked at them like they were complete idiots, but then remembered how Sony paid an A$$LOAD of $$$$ to Activision for exclusive marketing rights for Destiny while MS could only sit back and watch.

As an X1 owner I have to say BRAVO to Sony for successfully pulling the wool over everyone's eyes on this one. Weather you Sony fanboys want to admit it or not, this notion of this mega game being PS4 exclusive even though it is not has had a lot to do with the PS4's early sales lead over the X1.

MS really needs to take a page out of Sony's book on this and do the same thing with a game like The Division!

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

really? that's pretty weird.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

MS really needs to take a page out of Sony's book on this and do the same thing with a game like The Division!

They already did with COD. Tons of people have been thinking it's xbox exclusive for quite some time. And they've also have had an exclusive contract for maps, i believe

And yes, i guess could do that with The Division. I can see that oen being the "next big thing" after Watch Doge and Destiny

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Fact of the matter is, the company who has the lead gets to dictate the pace. MS was doing it last gen with the 360 and now Sony has the upper hand.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

So the other day I randomly ask about 10-15 people that I know that have Xbox One's if they were going to get Destiny. I was blown away that all but 2 of them answered me with " Isn't that only for PS4"? I looked at them like they were complete idiots, but then remembered how Sony paid an A$$LOAD of $$$$ to Activision for exclusive marketing rights for Destiny while MS could only sit back and watch.

As an X1 owner I have to say BRAVO to Sony for successfully pulling the wool over everyone's eyes on this one. Weather you Sony fanboys want to admit it or not, this notion of this mega game being PS4 exclusive even though it is not has had a lot to do with the PS4's early sales lead over the X1.

Lies like always first we have to believe that you have friends and second that they are dumb enough to also own an xbox one..

Oh and MS has been doing that since last gen Call of duty say high,just get over it man sony pull a MS move on Destiny deal with it..hahaha

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

based on ur story i think destiny should be called ps4 exclusive in sw

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

Doesn't Sony have exclusive advertising rights? I think it was the same thing MS did with call of duty for the Xbox 360. It was almost as if call of duty was exclusive to Xbox with all the commercials.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I don't believe you. No one has an XBox One in the real world. It's just a fantasy made up by System Wars.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Well sony are treating it like a first party title.

"We're treating it, for all intents and purposes internally, as if it's a first-party release," he said. "We're wrapping our arms around it on all levels of the organisation. It's a special project and an important project and it has the power to launch Christmas. It's hugely important."

Guess they've no choice really when all they have coming from the 'world class' Sony first party group are Delayclub and The Corridor 18fps LOL

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Well, Playstation is the go-to console for casuals.

Are you surprised at how little their customers know about games?

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

They already did with COD. Tons of people have been thinking it's xbox exclusive for quite some time.

I don't think that's true. This main series has been on playstation 3 since 2006. Call of Duty didn't really become a major xbox brand until Black Ops. You can't exactly hide 4 years of playstation releases with more advertising.

Destiny is special because its a new ip and most people are unaware of what the game actually is.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50545 Posts

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

Yes, because that def. hasn't happened...

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Microsoft did do it with Call of Duty but not to this degree.

If Sony wants to compete this is what they have to do. They did do it smart.

Now will they be ready for the next big exclusive and Microsofts counter attack?

Strong indicators suggest that The Xbox is lead platform on The Division. A next gen only title that we all can't wait for!

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#15 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

Aggressive marketing works. If it doesn't, companies wouldn't pay millions of dollars for them.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

Fools will be fooled

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 clyde46

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Microsoft did do it with Call of Duty but not to this degree.

If Sony wants to compete this is what they have to do. They did do it smart.

Now will they be ready for the next big exclusive and Microsofts counter attack?

Strong indicators suggest that The Xbox is lead platform on The Division. A next gen only title that we all can't wait for!

Lol wat? MS was all over COD. Exclusive timed map packs? All the advertising done on the 360? Lest we forget the infamous COD dog from the initial reveal?

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Shewgenja

Just like MS had everyone fooled last generation when they stressed to the gamers and the gaming press that every revision of the 360 motherboard solved the RRoD.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 clyde46

@Shewgenja said:

Just like MS had everyone fooled last generation when they stressed to the gamers and the gaming press that every revision of the 360 motherboard solved the RRoD.

Just like when Sony refused to acknowledge the PS2's DRE fault..... Both companies are not squeaky clean when it comes to shit like this.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Shewgenja

@clyde46 said:

@Shewgenja said:

Just like when Sony refused to acknowledge the PS2's DRE fault..... Both companies are not squeaky clean when it comes to shit like this.

Very true. Just wanted to rub the lems the wrong way. I live for that.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Cool singular story

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

Sony took the page out of M$ handbook last gen. Did you forget COD and various other games marketed to hell and back as Xbox games on TV/Print ads? This is what people wanted. Less games, more money spent on marketing.

Hurray, we are finally getting it.

BruceBenzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23 BruceBenzing
Member since 2013 • 406 Posts

@SolidTy said:

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

Sony took the page out of M$ handbook last gen. Did you forget COD and various other games marketed to hell and back as Xbox games on TV/Print ads? This is what people wanted. Less games, more money spent on marketing.

Both companies last gen marketed a few 3rd party multiplats that way. Nintendo has also done that. It's amazing when someone allegedly unbiased pretends that only MS did it last gen

vickissv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 vickissv2
Member since 2004 • 1951 Posts

It's all good , because when Evolve rolls around , the PC and X1 versions are going to be the forerunners marketing-wise.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@tormentos said:

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

Lies like always first we have to believe that you have friends and second that they are dumb enough to also own an xbox one..

Oh and MS has been doing that since last gen Call of duty say high,just get over it man sony pull a MS move on Destiny deal with it..hahaha

Pot meet kettle? I think if it were actually possible, you'd have negative friends.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS: So what's the problem? What about Tomb Raider and the timed exclusive content for COD and Battlefield? That's just the same...

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#27 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Don't the advertisements only say: "PS4"?
This happened a lot the last generation with x360. I thought it was misleading but nobody agreed :(
But clearly, it does confuse people.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SolidTy

@brucebenzing said:

@SolidTy said:

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

Both companies last gen marketed a few 3rd party multiplats that way. Nintendo has also done that. It's amazing when someone allegedly unbiased pretends that only MS did it last gen

I'm not pretending anything. That's what the OP is doing, he's pretending. That's what you might be doing, I'm not sure yet, but the clue is in your tone and who you chose to reply too. I'm simply setting this horribly tragic thread straight, but he's trolling so he most likely already knows all this.

Marketing is done by all companies before Xbox existed and well after they are gone, but it's no secret that how massive marketing was utilized in the Xbox 360's favor and honestly one of M$'s biggest weapons last gen over the Wii and PS3 was marketing budgets. M$ prefers making less games and has much larger marketing budgets for the few games they do release and 3rd party deals they make. M$ prefers to release a couple of major titles at Xmas time and the rest of the year is 3rd party stuff for most of the 360s lifespan. It's amazing when someone that has been gaming a long time looks the other way all generation with regards to marketing, looks the other way with a ridiculous thread, looks the other way when getting less 1st party games year after year, but gets upset at a post shedding light on the marketing subject.

Just because Sony and Nintendo were marketing doesn't mean they were nearly as effective as Xbox was. They literally spent less money on marketing and making more games instead. Looking at the PS2 vs. Xbox era or the PS3 vs. 360 era: Sony makes more games but has less marketing behind each game. Xbox makes less games but markets the hell out of them. The Xbox way sees bigger sales for those titles. Sony has to rely on word of mouth and a smaller budget due to making more 1st party games. Even Kinect was given half a billion dollars of marketing and it was a sales success (although the product wasn't so great as was revealed later on save for dancing).

Eh. Tired subject is tired. RIP 2005-2014. I've given links, data, marketing information, PR breakdowns on the subject, examples of marketing using youtube videos, pictures, and more on this subject dozens upon dozens of times in SW. I'm tired of PR and Marketing discussions. I said five years ago this is the way the industry is headed and I find it sad that gamers fall for marketing, but here we are in a thread about Destiny Marketing and people seem surprised. If this is the first time you've heard of M$ outspending the competition with marketing, I am not the right person to talk to today. It's 2014. It's time to go back and take an honest look at what was going on all generation since I bought my 360 in Launch 2005 till today. Now Sony is playing the Marketing game with Destiny and I can't help but wonder what the cost is for gamers. How many internal projects are no longer happening, how many games are not going to exist because we gamers voted with our dollars and bought into the annualization of Call of Duty, Madden, Assassin's Creed, and more? It's sickening and I don't blame Nintendo or Sony for trying to catch up, but it's a garbage trend and I dislike it greatly.

The practice and willful ignorance on this subject is simply shameful.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SolidTy
@KungfuKitten said:

Don't the advertisements only say: "PS4"?

This happened a lot the last generation with x360. I thought it was misleading but nobody agreed :(

But clearly, it does confuse people.

There were various threads on this subject last gen, multiple times. I commented in many of them. You are right, people didn't agree it was misleading. Eh.

It does confuse people and this is the way the industry is headed. It's sad.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

Nobody is fooled that this doesn't belong in the sticky.