So remind me why GTA V is great ? (NO SPOILERS)

• 114 results
#1 Posted by jhonMalcovich (4824 posts) -

I am already at 55% of completion. By some reason, I have an impression that GTA V has less gameplay than all previous installments.

GTAV is basically about piloting different types of vehicles, exactly like all previous GTAs. No seriously, after 55% in, I completly burnt on GTAV.

All missions are built arround driving. Shootings are damn scarce and have usually zero tactics in them. The game lacks gameplay variety so badly.

It´s all about driving. The game dificulty resides in that. Most of the game is about putting you in different situations where you have to drive uncomfortable vehicles you have little familiarity with, usually being persued by police. I mean, almost all missions are about that, heists including.

When I played a few stealth missions, I was like "F*ck yeh", stealth made it to GTAV. The problem is they are really a few. Like only three in total. And I have thought they will have some depth in them. Well, I did was wrong.

And don´t start with "But GTAV has so many secondary activities". No it doesn´t. All secondary activities and missions are generic as **** and lack any depth.

All sport activities are challenging until you level up your characters. After that, it´s like walk in the park. And you will level up your characters really fast.

Tennis is quite generic and easy.

Yoga is a QTE fest.

Killing springs are dumb as f*ck because you don´t even have to take cover. It´s just duck shooting.

Platforming is almost absent.

Scuba diving is pointless because there is nothing interesting under water.

Heists are super scripted and not challenging at all.

Killing missions have zero creativity. I´m staying in the middle of the road with a sniper rifle and nobody gives a f*ck.

And as I already said, shooting missions, which GTA 4 had so many, are now so scarce. You can´t engage a good shooting because usually your target is either escaping or police is on their way.

So in the end, it all comes down to driving, driving, more driving, a little bit more driving, occasional piloting, occasional shooting, more driving.

At this point, I think Far Cry 3 was a much  better shooter and sandbox. IT had driving, shooting, stealth, exploring, platforming and light puzzles almost at the same proportion. The same is true for AC: Brotherhood aswell, a lot more interesting sandbox. Batman: Archam Origin...

#2 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29392 posts) -
It isn't.
#3 Posted by Sushiglutton (5340 posts) -
What's the point, you will just hate anyway.
#4 Posted by biggest_loser (24062 posts) -

You're not wrong. Once you take out the multitude of clothing stores, there's not that much you can do outside the missions. There's sporting stuff, which is fun to try once and racing I guess. The quality of the missions is really up and down. I did a terrible one yesterday where you had to move these containers with a crane. It was dead boring. Some missions are too short or insubstantial, like one where you have to buy some masks and that's it. That said, I did a good one this evening called Blitz Play. I think there's far too much filler. Who gives a **** about yoga? Just stick to the cars guys. 

#5 Posted by Sushiglutton (5340 posts) -

So in the end, it all comes down to driving, driving, more driving, a little bit more driving, occasional piloting, occasional shooting, more driving.

jhonMalcovich

You're not wrong. (...) Just stick to the cars guys.

biggest_loser

q

#6 Posted by sts106mat (19857 posts) -
cool thread bro
#7 Posted by biggest_loser (24062 posts) -

[QUOTE="jhonMalcovich"]

Sushiglutton

biggest_loser

q

Whats your problem? You were too afraid to reply before now you're responding with pictures. GTA V is a weird beast. There's too much driving between missions, yet some of the better missions recently have solid chases in them. Is that okay with you??
#8 Posted by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

GTAV is still in it's honeymoon phase, you will get flamed HARD if you hate on it right now.
Come back in a year, everybody will hate it by then and we can circlejerk about how great GTAIV was.

#9 Posted by Sushiglutton (5340 posts) -
[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"]

[QUOTE="jhonMalcovich"] [QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

biggest_loser

q

Whats your problem? You were too afraid to reply before now you're responding with pictures. GTA V is a weird beast. There's too much driving between missions, yet some of the better missions recently have solid chases in them. Is that okay with you??

Guy complains game is all about driving. You agree and say they should focus on the cars. Facepalm worthy to say the least...
#10 Posted by freedomfreak (40972 posts) -
The Ballad of Gay Tony is the "crazier" GTA. That's what I've gotten out of playing GTAV. It's really, REALLY not as crazy as people make it out to be.
#11 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

What about free roaming and GTA online? 

#12 Posted by jhonMalcovich (4824 posts) -

mrintro

Free roaming needs some incentives like trophies. Far Cry 3 had them, Archam Origin had them. GTA V doesn´t have them. Anyway, I explored already all the island when I was making Maude missions, the only secondary missions I really liked so far.

And I was still unable to try GTA online. But I have a slight suspicion that R* planned GTA5 mostly as an online experience. That explains a lot why single player is so generic.  

#13 Posted by sts106mat (19857 posts) -

[QUOTE="mrintro"]

jhonMalcovich

Free roaming needs some incentives like trophies. Far Cry 3 had them, Archam Origin had them. GTA V doesn´t have them. Anyway, I explored already all the islance when I was making Maude missions, the only secondary missions I really liked so far. 

scrap letters and UFO pieces?
#14 Posted by nunovlopes (2607 posts) -

I don't know about V because I'll never make the mistake of buying it. GTAIV was absolute garbage, there's nothing about it that is remotely good. Except for the scale and detail, I'll give you that, but as far as gaming is concerned, it is pure trash.

I´m staying in the middle of the road with a sniper rifle and nobody gives a f*ck.

jhonMalcovich

I remember in IV when I was driving and hitting pedestrians and cars left and right, right in front of the police and they wouldn't care. But the second my car slightly bumps a police car, all hell breaks look loose and everyone is on me.

#15 Posted by jhonMalcovich (4824 posts) -

[QUOTE="jhonMalcovich"]

[QUOTE="mrintro"]

sts106mat

Free roaming needs some incentives like trophies. Far Cry 3 had them, Archam Origin had them. GTA V doesn´t have them. Anyway, I explored already all the islance when I was making Maude missions, the only secondary missions I really liked so far. 

I found a few scrap letters. Can I read them ?

#16 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -

[QUOTE="sts106mat"][QUOTE="jhonMalcovich"]

jhonMalcovich

Not until you find all of them.
#17 Posted by jhonMalcovich (4824 posts) -

[QUOTE="jhonMalcovich"]

[QUOTE="sts106mat"] scrap letters and UFO pieces?lowe0

Not until you find all of them.

Not worth the effort then. Far Cry 3 had letter that were telling you a story piece by piece, adn trophies that were giving you an immediate experience boost. Archam City had puzzles all over the city.

#18 Posted by illmatic8582 (674 posts) -

I bought GTA 5 out of hype and it isn't that great. Some of the missions are amazing but most of the things you can do are just thrown in to make the game longer. Things like doing yoga, tennis, bike riding are just a massive waste of time imo. It is just thrown in so people could say it's a 35 hours game instead of a 15 hour game

#19 Posted by Ballroompirate (23052 posts) -

If you need someone to explain it, then you wont understand it and you will probably still hate it.

#20 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13681 posts) -

If you need someone to explain it, then you wont understand it and you will probably still hate it.

Ballroompirate
Thats just not true. Maybe GTA V and Rockstar genuinely just suck.
#21 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

No point telling you why because your mind is already made up

#22 Posted by foxhound_fox (88743 posts) -

GTAV is still in it's honeymoon phase, you will get flamed HARD if you hate on it right now.
Come back in a year, everybody will hate it by then and we can circlejerk about how great GTAIV was.

Sagem28
Pretty much... but playing a GTA for anything other than free-roam insanity is doing it wrong. V shines particularly bright in this regard. I've done less than 30% of the story and have played at least 30-35 hours.
#23 Posted by sts106mat (19857 posts) -

jhonMalcovich

Far cry 3 has got nothing on GTA 5. i enjoyed blood dragon way more than Far cry 3. also Far cry 2 >>>>> far cry 3
#24 Posted by jg4xchamp (48377 posts) -
It's visually impressive given its scale and hardware, and there is a lot to the novelty of GTA 5. Plus it's a fun playground. Beyond that? Nothing much.
#25 Posted by always_explicit (2932 posts) -

Its a GTA game, just like any GTA game its 75% hype. If you dont like it then you dont like it and thats absolutely fine. 

Im the opposite I think its pretty good. I love holding up a liquor store and tearing through the wildnerness on a dirt bike.

Gta is great for about as long as it takes you to run out of cool and interesting stuff to do in the GTA world. Its limited by your imagination.

#26 Posted by always_explicit (2932 posts) -

Its a GTA game, just like any GTA game its 75% hype. If you dont like it then you dont like it and thats absolutely fine. 

Im the opposite I think its pretty good. I love holding up a liquor store and tearing through the wildnerness on a dirt bike.

Gta is great for about as long as it takes you to run out of cool and interesting stuff to do in the GTA world. Its limited by your imagination.

#27 Posted by Ballroompirate (23052 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ballroompirate"]

Lulu_Lulu

Thats just not true. Maybe GTA V and Rockstar genuinely just suck.

Yea I'm not gonna lose sleep over that at all, try harder next time.

#28 Posted by jhonMalcovich (4824 posts) -

[QUOTE="jhonMalcovich"]

[QUOTE="sts106mat"] scrap letters and UFO pieces?sts106mat

Far cry 3 has got nothing on GTA 5. i enjoyed blood dragon way more than Far cry 3. also Far cry 2 >>>>> far cry 3

GTA 5 is full of rip-offs from other successful sandboxes.

Letter collecting = feather collecting of AC

Killing sprees = Rakyat Warrior challenges of FarCry3

Los Santos Island = Rip-off of tropical paradise theme of FarCry3

Scuba diving = Rip-off of FarCry3

Secondary objectives = full syncronization of AC

#29 Posted by freedomfreak (40972 posts) -
Letter colleting = classic hidden packages

Killing sprees = Classic GTA Kill Frenzy

Los Santos Island = Are you for real?

Scuba diving = Seriously, are you for real?

jhonMalcovich
Edited because you like being wrong. At least I was able to finish GTAV.
#30 Posted by always_explicit (2932 posts) -

jhonMalcovich

Letter colleting = feather collecting of AC

Well GTA 3 was the definitive sandbox title...so by your logic FarCry copied GTA games. I see no issue in games sharing similar gameplay traits if they are fun and add to the game experience..
#31 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (8198 posts) -

I am already at 55% of completion. By some reason, I have an impression that GTA V has less gameplay than all previous installments.

GTAV is basically about piloting different types of vehicles, exactly like all previous GTAs. No seriously, after 55% in, I completly burnt on GTAV.

All missions are built arround driving. Shootings are damn scarce and have usually zero tactics in them. The game lacks gameplay variety so badly.

It´s all about driving. The game dificulty resides in that. Most of the game is about putting you in different situations where you have to drive uncomfortable vehicles you have little familiarity with, usually being persued by police. I mean, almost all missions are about that, heists including.

When I played a few stealth missions, I was like "F*ck yeh", stealth made it to GTAV. The problem is they are really a few. Like only three in total. And I have thought they will have some depth in them. Well, I did was wrong.

And don´t start with "But GTAV has so many secondary activities". No it doesn´t. All secondary activities and missions are generic as **** and lack any depth.

All sport activities are challenging until you level up your characters. After that, it´s like walk in the park. And you will level up your characters really fast.

Tennis is quite generic and easy.

Yoga is a QTE fest.

Killing springs are dumb as f*ck because you don´t even have to take cover. It´s just duck shooting.

Platforming is almost absent.

Scuba diving is pointless because there is nothing interesting under water.

Heists are super scripted and not challenging at all.

Killing missions have zero creativity. I´m staying in the middle of the road with a sniper rifle and nobody gives a f*ck.

And as I already said, shooting missions, which GTA 4 had so many, are now so scarce. You can´t engage a good shooting because usually your target is either escaping or police is on their way.

At this point, I think Far Cry 3 was a much  better shooter and sandbox. IT had driving, shooting, stealth, exploring, platforming and light puzzles almost at the same proportion. The same is true for AC: Brotherhood aswell, a lot more interesting sandbox. Batman: Archam Origin...

jhonMalcovich
Why are there still games with a stealth mechanic still being made? Stealth is crap and not fun at all. Stealth needs to go away entirely. Games should be fun. Stealth is not fun. Good thing GTA is a fun action game.
#32 Posted by jhonMalcovich (4824 posts) -

[QUOTE="jhonMalcovich"]

[QUOTE="sts106mat"] Far cry 3 has got nothing on GTA 5. i enjoyed blood dragon way more than Far cry 3. also Far cry 2 >>>>> far cry 3always_explicit

Well GTA 3 was the definitive sandbox title...so by your logic FarCry copied GTA games. I see no issue in games sharing similar gameplay traits if they are fun and add to the game experience..

Oh. There is nothing bad at this at all. I just hate when people start pretending like no other game had done it before GTA V.

#33 Posted by jhonMalcovich (4824 posts) -

[QUOTE="jhonMalcovich"]Letter colleting = classic hidden packages

freedomfreak

Hunting ?

#34 Posted by freedomfreak (40972 posts) -
Hunting ?jhonMalcovich
Red Dead Redemption?
#35 Posted by Heil68 (45220 posts) -
I've been having a lot of fun playing it and look forward to more online play.
#36 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -

[QUOTE="always_explicit"][QUOTE="jhonMalcovich"]

jhonMalcovich

Oh. There is nothing bad at this at all. I just hate when people start pretending like no other game had done it before GTA V.

It's ridiculous to call it a rip off when so much of it comes from the GTA series, though. Is BF4 just a rip off of Bad Company for having destruction?
#37 Posted by jhonMalcovich (4824 posts) -

[QUOTE="jhonMalcovich"]Hunting ?freedomfreak
Red Dead Redemption?

Ok. Maybe I am wrong. I just find suspicious that all secondary activities of Far Cry 3 migrated to GTA V :P

#38 Posted by freedomfreak (40972 posts) -

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="jhonMalcovich"]Hunting ?jhonMalcovich

Red Dead Redemption?

Ok. Maybe I am wrong. I just find suspicious that all secondary activities of Far Cry 3 migrated to GTA V :P

MORE LIKE ALL SECONDARY ACTIVITIES FROM RED DEAD REDEMPTION AND PAST GTA GAMES MIGRATED TO GTAV. Seriously, games copy each other all the time. The difference lies within how they implement the "copied" gameplay features. And that, young padawan, is what counts.
#39 Posted by princeofshapeir (14277 posts) -

You're not wrong. Once you take out the multitude of clothing stores, there's not that much you can do outside the missions. There's sporting stuff, which is fun to try once and racing I guess. The quality of the missions is really up and down. I did a terrible one yesterday where you had to move these containers with a crane. It was dead boring. Some missions are too short or insubstantial, like one where you have to buy some masks and that's it. That said, I did a good one this evening called Blitz Play. I think there's far too much filler. Who gives a **** about yoga? Just stick to the cars guys. 

biggest_loser
There is one mission where you are forced to do yoga. ONE. And it takes a grand total of five minutes at the most, and is important to that mission's story.
#40 Posted by freedomfreak (40972 posts) -
There is one mission where you are forced to do yoga. ONE. And it takes a grand total of five minutes at the most, and is important to that mission's story. princeofshapeir
Also, that strip club mission within the first hour of the game.
#41 Posted by Obviously_Right (5101 posts) -

Ballad of Gay Tony with GTA V's Graphics/Controls would be perfect.

#42 Posted by locopatho (20384 posts) -
It's the wackiness and freedom of San Andreas combined with the technical improvements of GTAIV and set in a huge, beautiful, varied world. In terms of missions? It's not terribly special, no, apart from the heists and assassinations. But GTA has never been about just it's missions, in terms of free roaming fun it's the best GTA.
[QUOTE="jhonMalcovich"]

[QUOTE="sts106mat"] scrap letters and UFO pieces?sts106mat

Well that's just wrong.
#43 Posted by locopatho (20384 posts) -

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="jhonMalcovich"]Hunting ?jhonMalcovich

Red Dead Redemption?

All the secondary activities of the GTA series migrated to other open world series. Rockstar are the open world innovators that everyone else follows. Learn your history boy :P
#44 Posted by jhonMalcovich (4824 posts) -

[QUOTE="jhonMalcovich"]

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"] Red Dead Redemption?freedomfreak

MORE LIKE ALL SECONDARY ACTIVITIES FROM RED DEAD REDEMPTION AND PAST GTA GAMES MIGRATED TO GTAV. Seriously, games copy each other all the time. The difference lies within how they implement the "copied" gameplay features. And that, young padawan, is what counts.

The problem is all previous sand boxes did it better than GTA V even if they copied from previous Rockstar games.

Far Cry 3 did better scuba diving, hunting, killing spree, assesination missions, it was more fun to wreak havoc, even driving was more challenging, scooter time races were just awesome, better island exploration.

Just Cause 2, bigger island, better tools to wreak havoc and probably better MP.

RDR had better shooting.

GTA4 had better shooting and characters motivations.

Archam City had better trophies, world exploration, melee combat and story .

Assasin Creed had better assesination and infilitration missions. Brotherhood had awesome Davinchi machines missions.

#45 Posted by freedomfreak (40972 posts) -
Holy shit, man. I'm not gonna counter all that stuff. My stance on open world sidemissions is that they get boring within 10 minutes. Especially if it's developed by Ubisoft. And f*ck Far Cry 3. Thank God, I bought it as a present for my brother because I'd feel more bad about buying it for myself than I would've buying MOH: Warfighter. WHICH I DID LAST WEEK AND IT'S GENERIC AS SHIT I think the hunting is best in RDR because I can sell muh bear meat in Mexico for lots of pesos. Besides that, eh to most side stuff in videogames.
#46 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (8198 posts) -
I've been having a lot of fun playing it and look forward to more online play. Heil68
I lost my character. :(
#47 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -
[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="jhonMalcovich"]Letter colleting = classic hidden packages

los santos island= rip off of mother nature? California isnt tropical, Miami is tropical and Vice city came out before Far Cry
#48 Posted by jhonMalcovich (4824 posts) -

Holy shit, man. I'm not gonna counter all that stuff. My stance on open world sidemissions is that they get boring within 10 minutes. Especially if it's developed by Ubisoft. And f*ck Far Cry 3. Thank God, I bought it as a present for my brother because I'd feel more bad about buying it for myself than I would've buying MOH: Warfighter. WHICH I DID LAST WEEK AND IT'S GENERIC AS SHIT I think the hunting is best in RDR because I can sell muh bear meat in Mexico for lots of pesos. Besides that, eh to most side stuff in videogames.freedomfreak

Far Cry 3  was awesome

tumblr_m8fu3etzdf1r6v7x1.gif

#49 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23865 posts) -

everything has warts.

i overlook them because the overall game is so fun to play through.

is game "X" better than gta 5?

sure if you like game "X" more then cool, it's better.

#50 Posted by freedomfreak (40972 posts) -
Far Cry 3  was awesome

tumblr_m8fu3etzdf1r6v7x1.gif

jhonMalcovich
I liked Blood Dragon more. Perhaps because it was a lot shorter, so it felt a lot less draggy. Didn't even get to the 2nd island in Far Cry 3. I actually stopped playing when somebody mentioned that there's ANOTHER ISLAND.