So real reason for the GPU+CPU upclock .

• 132 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by tormentos (18346 posts) -

Apparently MS knew all alone the PS4 was more powerful from all sides,developers most have tip MS on the PS4 out performing the xbox one silly.

So MS decided to bump the GPU to gain something,as well as the CPU to try in both instances to give the false impressions that the xbox one was actually faster.

This is back up by Albert Panello twit about how 1.7 > 1.6 when the CPU was bump,people are use to see numbers and most console owners are morons who would only focus on 1.7> 1.6 and claim it is faster,it happen even here,while on the same hardware 1.7 > 1.6,the PS4 CPU final speed was never stated.

This new evidence that the PS4 CPU was performing faster than the xbox one that came in yesterday are not new,a few weeks go a Sunspider test put the PS4 mopping the floor with the xbox one on internet browsing speed.

It was 2+ times faster in Sunspider and 5 times faster in Kraken.

It could be 2 difference things,1 the PS4 CPU is actually faster and sony keep it under wraps,2 the PS4 has more free CPU resources than the xbox one which is something i have argue my self many times here.

MS really screwed up the xbox one,even having the same CPU they with higher clock speed they end up having inferior performance,the way the xbox one was build to be a resources hug,has allot to do with it to,10% GPU reservation is also very high,and while they claim they will give something back,knowing how Kinect is mandatory and how snap and the metro Ui works i don't think they have much room to get here,not more than 5% i will say.

Now some units are beginning to smock,if this is true MS could have potentially had a problem on their hands,and is probably do to that over clock in CPU and GPU.

#2 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

ugh... if all you guys care so damn much about flops and clocks then why do you all game on consoles?

This gen's consolite fanboys sound like last gen PC elitists

#3 Edited by Snugenz (11892 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

ugh... if all you guys care so damn much about flops and clocks then why do you all game on consoles?

Difference being that the PC elitists actually knew what the fuck they were talking about, el tormo just copy/pastes articles from elsewhere then smashes his face against his keyboard to add his own personal touch to them.

tl;dr = stfu el tormo.

#4 Posted by EZs (1360 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

Because console like PS4 comes with GDDR5 and 8 Core CPU, yes we care about TFLOPS and clock speed.

#5 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

@EZs said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Because console like PS4 comes with GDDR5 and 8 Core CPU, yes we care about TFLOPS and clock speed.

Proving yet again that cows are hypocrites and it only matters when their system finally has it. Otherwise it doesn't count

#6 Posted by locopatho (20375 posts) -

Yeah I definitely feel that the PC crap I used to hate (expensive, installs, updates, drm, bugs and glitches, endless elitism and bullshit tech talk from the fans) has infected consoles while PC gaming has gotten easier, cooler and cheaper at the same time.

I will defo get a PS4 at some point (gotta play dat Destiny) but I feel the age of consoles is over pretty much.

#7 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

Blame the xbots that lorded the most miniscule difference in multiplats last gen. You will hear it for the next 5-7 years.

#8 Posted by tormentos (18346 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

Is cheaper simple than PC period and will always be.

#9 Posted by Snugenz (11892 posts) -

@tormentos said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

See, there's that "typing by face" i was talking about, clearly he had no article to copy and paste before his keyboard facesmashing in this instance.

#10 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

@tormentos said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Of course it's cheaper, you're buying worse hardware (if we're talking med-high end). I'll give you the simpler part though

Point is the hypocrisy is blatantly obvious. "Only basement dwelling hermits care about all that crap" is all people said round here all gen and now because you guys have a taste of it you suddenly ALL care and act like you always did.

#11 Edited by Thunder7151 (329 posts) -

All this talk about TFLOPs. GDDR5, GPU, but at the end of the day Ryse still has better graphics than any PS4 game yet released.

Cows truly live in an alternate reality.

#12 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

@StrongBlackVine said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Blame the xbots that lorded the most miniscule difference in multiplats last gen. You will hear it for the next 5-7 years.

Hah! if only it were the lems that did that.

Any time a PS3 multiplat MIGHT have been slightly better cows went to town on it.

#13 Posted by tormentos (18346 posts) -
@Snugenz said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Difference being that the PC elitists actually knew what the fuck they were talking about, el tormo just copy/pastes articles from elsewhere then smashes his face against his keyboard to add his own personal touch to them.

tl;dr = stfu el tormo.

Yeah some knew so much that they claimed that there would be no difference between xbox one games and PS4 ones,ignoring just about every single benchmark known to man that claimed that in GCN more flops = more performance period,Ron and his secret sauces several other hermits to cheer for the xbox one,basically in all PS4 thread.

The fact that you attack me rather than my argument says it all,you and the rest of the lemmings and some hermits were owned as soon as comparison were posted on sites,720p vs 1080p .. lol

#14 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

@locopatho said:

Yeah I definitely feel that the PC crap I used to hate (expensive, installs, updates, drm, bugs and glitches, endless elitism and bullshit tech talk from the fans) has infected consoles while PC gaming has gotten easier, cooler and cheaper at the same time.

I will defo get a PS4 at some point (gotta play dat Destiny) but I feel the age of consoles is over pretty much.

Yeah that is why people are buying them in record numbers.

#15 Posted by Snugenz (11892 posts) -

@tormentos said:
@Snugenz said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

tl;dr = stfu el tormo.

Yeah some knew so much that they claimed that there would be no difference between xbox one games and PS4 ones,ignoring just about every single benchmark known to man that claimed that in GCN more flops = more performance period,Ron and his secret sauces several other hermits to cheer for the xbox one,basically in all PS4 thread.

The fact that you attack me rather than my argument says it all,you and the rest of the lemmings and some hermits were owned as soon as comparison were posted on sites,720p vs 1080p .. lol

I'm not a lemming and i have more sense than to bother reading any of your inane ramblings on a subject you clearly know fuck all about.

Stfu el tormo.

#16 Posted by tormentos (18346 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

Of course it's cheaper, you're buying worse hardware (if we're talking med-high end). I'll give you the simpler part though

Point is the hypocrisy is blatantly obvious. "Only basement dwelling hermits care about all that crap" is all people said round here all gen and now because you guys have a taste of it you suddenly ALL care and act like you always did.

Really how freaking so.? Build me a 7850GPU like PC that is cheaper than the PS4,i dare you...

Now OS mouse key board,all not just a plain GPU because a plain GPU does nothing without a PC.

Hell on 2005 the xbox 360 was actually more powerful than a $500 dollars GPU,that without counting the $700 or more PC you should have to put that GPU without creating a damn bottle neck.

#17 Posted by locopatho (20375 posts) -

@StrongBlackVine said:

@locopatho said:

Buying "them" in record numbers yes. But "they" aren't consoles any more. They lost the cheapness, ease of use, pop in disc and play aspect. Fuck that noise.

#18 Posted by tormentos (18346 posts) -
@Snugenz said:

I'm not a lemming and i have more sense than to bother reading any of your inane ramblings on a subject you clearly know fuck all about.

Stfu el tormo.

No one force you to read my thread,if you don't like it don't be a damn masochist and don't enter them,you look pretty sad with all that butthurt and anal discomfort your showing...hahahaha

@StrongBlackVine said:

@locopatho said:

Yep they cry about the consoles days been over while people get them like crazy from stores..hahaha

#19 Posted by Maddie_Larkin (6561 posts) -

I think it is based on the OS and how it hogs resources, right now I think it would be fair to state that both are slightly messy, but the PS4 OS seems lighter to "dance with" so to speak, and Locks Down less resources, remember how they stated how much the OS would Lock Down, but then a few weeks stated that Devs could make use of more of the resouces?

Look in fairness Kinect is likely the real reason why more resources are locked Down in the X1 it requires alot to my understanding, and the OS in general in the X1 is not mature enough at present.

Where as while Work still needs done on it, the PS4 OS is further along. I think that is the reason not any kind of hidden or secret hardware.

MS just dropped the ball hardwarewise and software wise. I think the above is also why we have not really seen alot of 1080p games yet from the MS platform, it should be able to, but right nw the OS is likely premature.

#20 Edited by killzowned24 (7345 posts) -

CPU/GPU/Memory = PS4 flawless victory!!

So PS4 wins in every spec now and the only thing higher for the xbone is its price. LMAO!

#21 Posted by Maddie_Larkin (6561 posts) -

@tormentos: Sure if you add the aditional cost of the console too, like additional controller, the online paywall. Consoles have a cheaper initial cost, but throughout a gen? Ive had consoles since the NES and handhelds since the GB, the "cheaper rarely lasted, and this gen I am far as potimistic.

The cost for online gaming alone for 7 years (I am kind here given that a gen might last longer now) is pretty darn high, as in 420$ high. Leaving out the way more expensive games, additional controllers and such

#22 Edited by Caseytappy (2147 posts) -

Crappy hardware outperforms a tiny bit less but fairly equal crappy hardware,what a surprise and how fucking important .

Also Tormo seems to be stuck in time and has a hard time to move on, the Horse is dead and the consoles are out, go play .

Oh wait ...........no games !

#23 Posted by killzowned24 (7345 posts) -

@Caseytappy said:

Crappy hardware outperforms a tiny bit less but fairly equal crappy hardware,what a surprise and how fucking important .

Also Tormo seems to be stuck in time and has a hard time to move on, the Horse is dead and the consoles are out, go play .

I think you mean the bone is dead.

.xbone got whooped so bad! I love how its best looking game runs at subhd and sub 30fps ....so funny!!!

#25 Edited by adamosmaki (9654 posts) -

and people were saying pc gamers are shallow and only care about graphics. A question about some cows . Why do you care that much about hardware all of a sudden ? If you care that much why dont you build a $650-800 pc that will mop the floor with either console?

#26 Posted by killzowned24 (7345 posts) -

@adamosmaki said:

and people were saying pc gamers are shallow and only care about graphics. A question about some cows . Why do you care that much about hardware all of a sudden ? If you care that much why dont you build a $650-800 pc that will mop the floor with either console?

its a new generation and they are all about new hardware that is more powerful,not that hard to understand.

#27 Edited by TheGuardian03 (21781 posts) -

i see tormentos talking more about specs and scores and never discussing games, i'm starting to wonder if some people even have PS3's here.

#28 Posted by NFJSupreme (5379 posts) -

@EZs said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

lol if you do then why would you pay $400 for 1.84 TFLOPS?

#29 Posted by blackace (20886 posts) -

@tormentos: Yaaaawwwwn..... Did someone say something?

#30 Posted by ImDaMan4Realz (94 posts) -

MS needs to drop the price to $300 to compete

#31 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5176 posts) -

@StrongBlackVine said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Please dont go there. Sony was the one who brainwashed people into thinking the PS3 was supposed to be more powerful than the 360 because of "Teh Cell PR" and the $600 pricetag. Sony prior to launch, hyped the PS3 to be 2 times as powerful as the 360, yet the $200 cheaper console ran every game better.

#32 Posted by YD_11 (1857 posts) -

Wake me up when this translates to real world results worth debating... and even then i still probably wont care.

What good are specs when there isn't anything to play in comparison to the competition?

#33 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

^

#34 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42974 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

You're assuming those with irrational loyalties to pieces of plastic look to logic and reason to base their opinions. That is unwise.

#35 Posted by PC_Otter (1623 posts) -

Gamers care about the performance because they are hoping devs take advantage of the better performance and produce better games. This includes hoping for better versions of multiplatform games like with BF4.

#36 Edited by killzowned24 (7345 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

I play on console because its much less a hassle and mp is practically cheat free, plus has exclusives that I like.Not to mention that most news and shows like E3 are dedicated to them.

More power means a whole lot more in the console space with them being fixed hardware for at least half a decade.

#37 Edited by Gue1 (10198 posts) -

@PC_Otter said:

Gamers care about the performance because they are hoping devs take advantage of the better performance and produce better games. This includes hoping for better versions of multiplatform games like with BF4.

don't even waste your time. Your argument is too logical for the idiots of SW (including the most inept mods I've ever seen in a forum) to understand, just troll and have fun till you get banned.

#38 Edited by clyde46 (46598 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Hah! if only it were the lems that did that.

Any time a PS3 multiplat MIGHT have been slightly better cows went to town on it.

GTA5...

#39 Posted by PC_Otter (1623 posts) -

@Gue1: Or instead I could hold myself to a higher standard, which I intend to do.

#40 Edited by dotWithShoes (4859 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

You know Sony fanboys, they love flops.

#41 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4495 posts) -

Many factors other than CPU could have been the reason for faster internet browsing speed. From the RAM speed, software, os ect ect.

Since when was CPU such a determining factor with internet browsing? And why isn't internet browsing ever used as a benchmark for CPU performance if it is such a factor?

Maybe there's a reason Sony is being less than forcoming in this area, they seem to have no problems hyping everything else about their console.

#42 Edited by always_explicit (2932 posts) -

Oh look another boring thread from the world most boring gamespotter.

Back on SW because his precious PS4 has no games to play.

#43 Posted by TheTruthIsREAL (761 posts) -

@always_explicit: and you're here because? Lol

#44 Edited by always_explicit (2932 posts) -

@TheTruthIsREAL said:

@always_explicit: and you're here because? Lol

I dont want to play games anymore.

#45 Posted by ronvalencia (15129 posts) -

@StrongBlackVine said:

@locopatho said:

Both X1 (with ~2 million)(1) and PS4 (with ~2.1 million)(2) are selling well.

Reference (As per academic standard)

1. http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/11/us-microsoft-xbox-idUSBRE9BA0LB20131211

2. http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/12/03/sony-reveals-2-1-million-global-ps4-sales

#46 Edited by farrell2k (6347 posts) -

If you really cared about faster hardware, you would never game on a console. Deal with the fact that consoles are mid-range PCs and move on.

#47 Edited by tormentos (18346 posts) -

@Maddie_Larkin said:

@tormentos: Sure if you add the aditional cost of the console too, like additional controller, the online paywall. Consoles have a cheaper initial cost, but throughout a gen? Ive had consoles since the NES and handhelds since the GB, the "cheaper rarely lasted, and this gen I am far as potimistic.

The cost for online gaming alone for 7 years (I am kind here given that a gen might last longer now) is pretty darn high, as in 420$ high. Leaving out the way more expensive games, additional controllers and such

Why would i add a second controller into the equation.? Can you even play most PC games in multiplayer mode offline on a single PC.? Come on multiplayer online on PC has been for years before consoles for that same reason.

This is the first year sony will charge for online,and you pay if you want to,adding a second controller is a stupid thing to say most PC gamers and i mean the huge majority don't play multiplayer offline on a single PC.

@Caseytappy said:

Dat incredible buthurt....hahaha

The xbox one line up got beat up by a damn Indie game but but but only gamespot matter..hahaha

@locopatho said:

"McDonalds are selling crazy amounts! They must make the best food hahaha!"

Stupid cunt.

Yeah and Red Lobsters is always full some times sales reflect something some times it doesn't...hahahaha

@NFJSupreme said:

lol if you do then why would you pay $400 for 1.84 TFLOPS?

Thats funny because a $399 PC doesn't give you even half of those 1.84Tflops,is stupid when you compare just a GPU plain vs a complete system.

Face it you need a damn PC to put that GPU.

#48 Edited by ronvalencia (15129 posts) -
@tormentos said:
@Snugenz said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

tl;dr = stfu el tormo.

There's are no secret sauce with X1 and my posts are not about cheering X1 but for correcting your technical mistakes. The only debate exist with X1 and PS4 is gap between the two boxes.

Your memory bandwidth stupidity

http://au.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29451500/xbox-one--7790-confirmed-by-xbox-one-architec.

X1 can add memory bandwidth since it has two memory pools (think of L-shaped multi-memory controller setups) while PS4 has a single memory pool.

---

Your second error is with ROPS's Gpixel rates i.e. to fill "25.6 Gpixel/s" at 64 bit color against memory bandwidth. MS has correctly countered 13.6 gpixel vs 25.6 gpixel debate with memory bandwidth requirement and color bit depth.

Fill-rate is a function of ROPS and memory bandwidth.

You didn't factor in the superior Gpixel rates from 7970 which uses the same 32 ROPs and with superior memory bandwidth. Your brain is only limited X1 vs PS4 when there's another gaming platform with superior GCN solution.

I have corrected your errors with the alternative 32 ROPS > 16 ROPS with cap'ed 1920x1080p screen i.e. less cycles = better performance.

--------

For games that are CU (ALU/TMUs) bounded (e.g. DX11 1080p for BF4, Crysis 2, COD Ghost), I have already stated prototype 7850 with 12 active CUs at 860Mhz (~1.3 TFLOPS) will NOT exceed retail 7850 with 16 active CUs at 860Mhz (~1.76 TFLOPS).

#49 Posted by tormentos (18346 posts) -

@StrongDeadlift said:

Please dont go there. Sony was the one who brainwashed people into thinking the PS3 was supposed to be more powerful than the 360 because of "Teh Cell PR" and the $600 pricetag. Sony prior to launch, hyped the PS3 to be 2 times as powerful as the 360, yet the $200 cheaper console ran every game better.

You are so full of sh** it was MS who on 2005 was making charts about how superior the xbox 360 was,in fact they even falsely claim that Xenon >>> Cell when we all know it was a total lie,wait what about the xbox 360 has 256Gb/s bandwidth per second.? No even the damn PS4 and xbox one have that bandwidth now..

The PS3 was $600 because it was a completely superior platform to the xbox 360,Blu-ray alone justify those $600,but lets talk about rechargeable battery on the controller,HDMI,Wifi which even the damn Wii had,60GB HDD,media card reader it wasn't even close..

There is nothing on xbox 360 that touch uncharted 3 or TLOU period,hell and even games now like GTA5 run better on PS3,the only thing it save MS from been owned last gen for the start was having a easier to code hardware and the fact that the PS3 was very difficult,funny enough you lemmings made a parade for 8 years about a missing path of grass or 100 lines less of resolution,now that the PS4 walk all over the xbox one even doubling it resolution some how is ok.. lol

@farrell2k said:

If you really cared about faster hardware, you would never game on a console. Deal with the fact that consoles are mid-range PCs and move on.

You people are sad trolls,i will when you find me a damn PC for $399 that beat the PS4,until then i don't care but i don't think that will happen any time soon.

#50 Posted by tormentos (18346 posts) -
@ronvalencia said:

There's are no secret sauce with X1 and my posts are not about cheering X1 but for correcting your technical mistakes. The only debate exist with X1 and PS4 is gap between the two boxes.

Your memory bandwidth stupidity

http://au.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29451500/xbox-one--7790-confirmed-by-xbox-one-architec.

X1 can add memory bandwidth since it has two memory pools (think of L-shaped multi-memory controller setups) while PS4 has a single memory pool.

--------

For games that are CU (ALU/TMUs) bounded (e.g. DX11 1080p for BF4, Crysis 2, COD Ghost), I have already stated prototype 7850 with 12 active CUs at 860Mhz (~1.3 TFLOPS) will NOT exceed retail 7850 with 16 active CUs at 860Mhz (~1.76 TFLOPS).

You can hide on that memory crap all you want fact is you cheer leaded for the xbox one like a 14 teen year old school girl does for her team,and you ignored pretty much every freaking benchmark i posted proving how big the difference would be..

There is not a single FPS on xbox one that is higher than 720p,it can only do sport and racing games which even last gen consoles like the xbox 360 and PS3 did at that resolution,is to late for you Ron you let your inside lemming outside to much for every one to see,you were owned the xbox one is a piece of sh** 1.18TF lower than a 7770 and actually more expensive than the PS4...hahahaa