So... PS4 Owners. what do you think of Destiny Alpha?

• 136 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Seems... alright. a tad souless compared to borderlands. the PvP is standard Halo but with leveling/armor/stats.

A no buy for me.... unless a PC version comes along. controllers are HORRIBLE for shooters... feel like im resteling with the analog sticks more than the games actually challenges. analog are utter s*it.

on a brighter note, I was exploring the Level 4 russian area and found a level 20 cave where I got insta-gib'd

Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

Best FPS in recent history.

- Beautiful open world

- Addictive strike missions

- Crucible PVP is better than any recent FPS.

GamingTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GamingTitan
Member since 2004 • 657 Posts

Was never really interested in it to begin with.

Avatar image for Prince_Denspion
Prince_Denspion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Prince_Denspion
Member since 2004 • 2748 Posts

left it downloading overnight, once i'm off after work in a few hours ill be giving it a try.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Oh, look, the guy with the "Drop a titan on it" sig doesn't like Destiny. In other news, the sky is blue and the Pacific Ocean just happens to be wet today.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

I'm calling it now, it's gonna win all the GOTY awards this year.

It's the best FPS in recent memory and is gonna be a real gamechanger unlike Titanflop.

I maxed out my character in the Alpha doing strike missions, competitive MP, and the story mode.

The maps are HUGE and there are a lot of weapons, armor, and other items to find and unlock. This game has a boatload of content, it's insane.

I wonder, if the Alpha is this full of content and this fun what's the full game gonna be like. It's unreal.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

fk i want to try it but have no codes and people on twitter are way too fast at taking code giveaways

Kingpin0114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Kingpin0114
Member since 2008 • 2607 Posts

It's fun...until I get cut from the servers every five minutes. Gonna try again today to see if the servers are more stable.

onewiththegame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 onewiththegame
Member since 2004 • 4415 Posts

I'm a big Bungie fan and Destiny feels like a Bungie game so I'm happy

Gameplay differently reminds me of Halo and I for one thinks that's a good thing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@Shewgenja said:

Oh, look, the guy with the "Drop a titan on it" sig doesn't like Destiny. In other news, the sky is blue and the Pacific Ocean just happens to be wet today.

.... you sound abit mad? my sig is incredibly dated, I copied lundy and never bothered to change it. considering I own a PS4 and I took the time to download this game.... your assumption is foolish... though if I was to be honest... Titanfall had better gunplay than this game.... so suck it up.

Did I say I didn't like it? my reason for not buying it was because controllers are s*it for shooters... I said it was alright. but I am right in saying, it seemed rather souless considering its bungie.

@Obviously_Right what was so good about it to you? I played one match of domination.... seemed pretty much like halo... but people with higher gear and level had an advantage.

What were strike missions? I've only done abit of everything so far.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@sts106mat said:

The enemies are such bullet sponges is what puts me off. The world could be interesting. its not as smooth or enjoyable as halo or titanfall... Then again this is only an alpha. will probably still get it anyway

on that front, you have to remember that its more of an MMO set up. its going to be easy at first... I imagine the A.I gets better in the later game.

But with Halo style slow limited combat... there is only so much you could do to make it difficult without being cheap.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

Haven't played the alpha. Will have to check it out when I have time. I'm sure it will be decent. There are more shooters coming though that will probably be better overall.

Omega-316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Omega-316
Member since 2011 • 981 Posts

Holy crap. Bungie/ sony just gave me a email with a code. Going to DL now. :)

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts

Haven't tried it yet, waiting for the full game.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

For anyone playing, what's there to do in the open world besides a bunch of random "defend x location" events and finding random enemies? I don't know much about the game, sorry.

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

Its okay. I like the craziness of borderlands over destiny.

The gunplay feels really good though.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Shewgenja

@sts106mat said:

The enemies are such bullet sponges is what puts me off. The world could be interesting. its not as smooth or enjoyable as halo or titanfall... Then again this is only an alpha. will probably still get it anyway

Does this balance out the grind in the higher end, though? Perhaps the enemies are that way because it paces the run to end-game eventually? It's hard to judge games of this scope well from an early Alpha.

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts

It's good fun. I like it.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45094 Posts

funny you mention it because I just got this random notification saying I was selected to play it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@magicalclick said:

MMO is always fun at beginning until it turns into grind fest. Hopefully it isn't so.

I and most other MMO vets usually see it the other way around.

The early game is a mindless grind. then the end-game is the challenging content... I bet this game will be no different, people will race to max level because any PVP before that is a broken unbalanced mess... and the end game dungeons will be more exciting than 99% of the leveling process... being a shooter I don't think this will change.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#25  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

I played it yesterday, and earlier today. Honestly, If you've played Borderlands & Halo, then you'll adapt quickly to the gameplay mechanics of the game; because that's almost exactly what it feels like. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. The game is very solid, non-glitchy, and impressive for an Alpha build. One thing that I did notice for example is that it seems like they tried to counter the "boring,dumb AI" backlash by increasing the health of the enemies and sometimes throwing waves of enemies at you at once. Unfortunately, by doing so, it makes combat a bit tedious; turning enemies into bullet sponges (especially the captains with shields) where you constantly have to shoot -->get shot --->run hide (let's sheilds recharge) --->rinse and repeat. It feels like you're not doing much damage to them, but they doing a ton to you...which can get really annoying more than fun, even with a Strike Team this happens often. If you played borderlands and encountered enemies that were way above your lvl, you'll know exactly what I'm trying to say lol. But the problem with the Destiny scenario is you are the same lvl as the enemy in this example; and you have a decent weapon. They can easily remedy this though, it's just a balancing issue. Trust me, I'm no noob when it comes to FPS.

It's a solid game so far. I have more to critique later, be it good or bad. I'll be back online later.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

its good so far.. its beautiful and plays really smooth.. voice acting isnt that great(especially Peter Dinklage as the AI)

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Shewgenja

@StrongDeadlift said:

@Shewgenja said:

That's the spirit :)

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Shewgenja

@sts106mat said:

I know, that is a worry, they might scale up as well.

the mission was set in a power station and was only rated two levels above my rank and the other members of the fire team. what should have been a relatively simple encounter took about 6 retries, i started to feel like the game was beginning to take the piss, throwing multi-shielded enemies in. even using whatever the equivalent of a DMR is called, it was taking us tons of ammo to kill the captains etc. some of them have a cheap regen mechanic it seems too.

I definitely need to give it more time, but if it carries on in this manner, i will likely lose interest unless something really grabs me like the story or some other mechanic i am unaware of. normally i can tell after 10 minutes if i am going to enjoy a game, i only get a maybe vibe from the hour or so i have had with it.

Hmmm.. This sounds like something I might actually like. Although, to be fair, I liked FFXI at launch.

HadOne2Many

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 HadOne2Many
Member since 2012 • 1485 Posts

Have to say I am very jealous at the moment because I don't have a PS4...not jealous enough to buy one but if this game were an exclusive I probably would.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#34 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

I do not like the pvp so far.

The rest of it is solid for a mmo that's not really a mmo, but is totally a mmo.

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

Played for a few hours last night and thought it was pretty cool. Will put in a few hours today and see if I still feel the same.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TheEroica  Moderator  Online
Member since 2009 • 22662 Posts

damn it... I never signed up. Oh well... still got the beta key. @jg4xchamp explain about the pvp. Not compelling?

CRUSHER88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By CRUSHER88
Member since 2003 • 2037 Posts

I'm not really sure if I like it or not at this point. I mean, the loot system/gearing up doesn't seem better then Borderlands. The competitive multiplayer is not better than Halo or Titanfall. The two classes I have played feel way too similar because this is still a shooter, not an MMO. The low level cap doesn't help either since there is no way to see if these classes differ more from each other later on. The upside:

- The tower is a pretty cool central hub to get everything

- The one zone alone seems massive (ran into some really high levels randomly and got destroyed)

- There is a difficulty switch for the main mission/strike which is always nice

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

@sts106mat said:

@Flubbbs said:

its good so far.. its beautiful and plays really smooth.. voice acting isnt that great

Lol Peter Dinklage = auto win

i agree but his voice acting isnt good

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

I like it.. It's a full fledged RPG and a full fledged shooter at the same time.. Something that hasn't been done with this much thoroughness

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

The rest of it is solid for a mmo that's not really a mmo, but is totally a mmo.

why dont u like pvp? how do it compare to halo 4 in terms of the game mechanics?

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#41  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Played for about 2 hours.

+ gameplay, presentation, menus, lore.

- long loadings, invisible walls, limited explorable area, only 3 player coop?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jg4xchamp

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

why dont u like pvp? how do it compare to halo 4 in terms of the game mechanics?

Remember how Halo 4 has unlockables, and has random drops, and it's not arena shooter rules of being on a set playing field? it's that. It's not out right broken(I'm assuming they gate it based on your own level, thus those are the only type of weapons you can get), but some of these people had some tricks and stuff I didn't unlock yet. So there you go. Like whatever it can still be fun(I had an okay time even in the likes of Halo 4), but I wouldn't go out of my way to play the pvp.

It seems better for coop and environmental stuff than the pvp. Plus the map I kept playing on the moon, kind of meh.

I can dig something like Reach, where the quirk is something everyone access to(sans the fact that Armor Lock is bullshit), but games where it's about unlocking your shit? never my cup of tea. Not that they can't be fun here and there, but I much prefer the likes of Unreal or Tribes or Halo in their prime.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Remember how Halo 4 has unlockables, and has random drops, and it's not arena shooter rules of being on a set playing field? it's that. It's not out right broken(I'm assuming they gate it based on your own level, thus those are the only type of weapons you can get), but some of these people had some tricks and stuff I didn't unlock yet. So there you go. Like whatever it can still be fun(I had an okay time even in the likes of Halo 4), but I wouldn't go out of my way to play the pvp.

It seems better for coop and environmental stuff than the pvp. Plus the map I kept playing on the moon, kind of meh.

I can dig something like Reach, where the quirk is something everyone access to(sans the fact that Armor Lock is bullshit), but games where it's about unlocking your shit? never my cup of tea. Not that they can't be fun here and there, but I much prefer the likes of Unreal or Tribes or Halo in their prime.

there is going to be a huge balancing problem from the looks of things. i just wish the pvp was compeltly seperate to the campaign stuff and they reset all ur weapon stats/powers so everyone is equal. it would also work better if the super powers were pickups but bungie isnt going to change ah well halo 5 it is

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jg4xchamp

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

there is going to be a huge balancing problem from the looks of things. i just wish the pvp was compeltly seperate to the campaign stuff and they reset all ur weapon stats/powers so everyone is equal. it would also work better if the super powers were pickups but bungie isnt going to change ah well halo 5 it is

Yeah, to be fair I would argue it's more in line with the pvp of what the likes of Diablo, the souls series, and those type of games have.

You're meant to put in some work getting some things, building some things to create the things you need to battle in these things. Balance isn't the aim as much as sheer variety of ideas. Destiny was never going to be in the same vein as a Unreal or Counterstrike or even a Team Fortress.

AmazonAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 AmazonAngry
Member since 2014 • 968 Posts

Very addictive. Didn't have any issues. Way better than Borderlands. Glad herms get to miss out.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

So I've put about 6 hours into the Alpha. Here are a few thoughts.

+Great art design

+Great lighting effects

+PvE is challenging

+PvP is fun

-Framerate is horrendous

-Load times

-Voice acting

I hope they can either work out the framerate or drop some of the lighting effects for the sake of gameplay. Destiny has tons of potential and I am looking forward to the beta next month.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#47 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@MBirdy88:

Amazing!

I wouldn't compare it to borderlands 2 ... sure it has some similar elements but is much different in feel and atmosphere. It's open world like an mmo and is breathtaking graphically.

My only complaint so far as most of the guns and inventory icons look the same. Different stats same look. Borderlands wasn't like that, as everything looked different....mmos though are ... shame on that front.

Gunplay is smooth as silk, and very fun!

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

My friend said it was a lot better than what they've been showing. Gives me some hope and relief.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#49 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@GoldenElementXL said:

+Great art design

+Great lighting effects

+PvE is challenging

+PvP is fun

-Framerate is horrendous

-Load times

-Voice acting

I hope they can either work out the framerate or drop some of the lighting effects for the sake of gameplay. Destiny has tons of potential and I am looking forward to the beta next month.

Really frame rate drops? Do I just not notice these things in games? I used to be able to play a pc game with an old gfx card at 20fps and max settings as I would rather have the shinnies than higher fps because as long as it didn't dip into the teens I couldn't really tell. Although this game I haven't seen any dips. Then again I haven't played with many people , mostly solo with an occasional random, but it was smooth for me. Haven't played PVP yet though.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

@GoldenElementXL said:

+Great art design

+Great lighting effects

+PvE is challenging

+PvP is fun

-Framerate is horrendous

-Load times

-Voice acting

Well, it is still alpha. That will probably be ironed out. Its hard for me to judge a game on performance issues in an alpha state.

That being said, I have played enough to give a rough review of the game.

The shooting in itself is solid, reminds me a lot of Halo. Sorry, but it really does. The classes really didn't feel that different from another. Maybe the latter will change in final release.

The art style is good. The game looks incredible. The upgrade and armor upgrade process seems well thought out. It does feel like a MMO.

I still have more of the game to explore. I did get a class to full level in the alpha build.

So far the game feels solid, but I am not sure I would classify this as GOTY or anything from what I have seen. There could be a lot of additions that could change my mind, this is only a alpha after all.

I guess we shall see. I was entertained, just not sure how long this will keep me hooked in final release.