So PS3 was really more powerful.

• 146 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by BigBoss255 (3538 posts) -

I remember endless debates about 360 being equal to PS3. Just wait for Rage and Gears 3 we were told. In the end though none of these games topped the PS3 exclusives.

The most technically impressive moments this gen were:

1. Chronos' hands in GOW3

2. That tank in KZ3

3. Uncharted - the plane

#2 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7479 posts) -
Sure, PS3 was alittle bit more powerful but it was nothing leaps and bounds ahead of 360 exclusives. Was it worth all the money and marketshare Sony lost? No.
#3 Posted by Liquid_ (2367 posts) -

are people really that dense? it has blu-ray and free internet..

#4 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5144 posts) -

No.  Next thread.  

#5 Posted by OctaBech (276 posts) -
Yes, Sony 1'st party pretty much got the 360 beat in lighting, texture res, poly count, shadows, animations, AI (ray casting), screen res and so forth... but what help is that if third party devs made the most fun games to play like CoD and Skyrim? There's a very good reason why Orbis is being made easy to develop for.
#6 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24655 posts) -

1st Party Games look better on the Console they are exclusive to, News at 11.

#7 Posted by Heil68 (43273 posts) -
Yup, but this is common knowledge, didn't really need a thread.
#8 Posted by timbers_WSU (5753 posts) -

didn't make much difference when it comes to graphics though. I agree the PS3 had a bigger list of really impressive looking games but Halo 4 might be the best looking on consoles period and Forza 4 is not far behind. Also Crysis 2 has a say in this argument as well and it was better on 360.
The point is the difference was small and with the PS4 and 720 the difference is gonna be even smaller if the leaked specs are true. The one that could of changed is Microsoft. So next gen will again come down to excusives, apps, word of mouth, and what people are familiar with.

I am guessing the 720 will win the US, The PS4 wil win Japan and Europe, and the Wii U will be a niche platform that does decent in all 3 regions for a few years and then flatlines. Once again the 720 and PS4 will have enough to please people who does not want 2 consoles but enough for hardcore gamers to want both. As long as the 720 has Halo, Gears, Forza, and Alan Wake.......I am getting a 720. And if the PGR rumor is true that is a system seller for me.
The PS4 I will probably get but not at the start. Thats just me. I like the exclusives on the PS3 that did not do great on sales (Twisted Metal, Starhawk, Wipeout, Heavenly Sword, MNR, and Motorstorm.) That is why the PS3 was a disappointment for me. I did like Killzone 3's single player, Killzone 2's multiplayer, Resistance 3, and MAG. But again. Those games are dead.

I hate God of War, GT5, inFamous, Little Big Planet, and Ratchet and Clank and think Uncharted 1 and 3 are over-rated. My taste is obviously different.

#9 Posted by WiiMan21 (8153 posts) -

A little bit, when a developer knows how to utilize the hardware correctly.

But not enough to really brag about. 

#10 Posted by Neon_Noir (1503 posts) -
You forgot Chloe's bush and Cole's ass hair. Detailed as sh*t.
#11 Posted by WiiMan21 (8153 posts) -

No.  Next thread.  

StrongDeadlift
Oh man, thanks for contributing with your undeniable facts.
#12 Posted by timbers_WSU (5753 posts) -
[QUOTE="OctaBech"]Yes, Sony 1'st party pretty much got the 360 beat in lighting, texture res, poly count, shadows, animations, AI (ray casting), screen res and so forth... but what help is that if third party devs made the most fun games to play like CoD and Skyrim? There's a very good reason why Orbis is being made easy to develop for.

Really? Because Halo 4 has the best lighting on console period and as a technical piece Forza 4 was a stunner. I guess you do not remember the guys at Polyphony watching the Forza 3 demo at E3 and taking notes because of how impressed they were with it huh?
#13 Posted by WiiMan21 (8153 posts) -

Liquid_
It doesn't have free internet, only a free online service. :P
#14 Posted by WiiMan21 (8153 posts) -
[QUOTE="timbers_WSU"][QUOTE="OctaBech"]Yes, Sony 1'st party pretty much got the 360 beat in lighting, texture res, poly count, shadows, animations, AI (ray casting), screen res and so forth... but what help is that if third party devs made the most fun games to play like CoD and Skyrim? There's a very good reason why Orbis is being made easy to develop for.

Really? Because Halo 4 has the best lighting on console period and as a technical piece Forza 4 was a stunner. I guess you do not remember the guys at Polyphony watching the Forza 3 demo at E3 and taking notes because of how impressed they were with it huh?

The lighting looked nice, but it was more bloom than anything. Uncharted 3 and Journey has better lighting.
#15 Posted by rrjim1 (844 posts) -

Yes, movies always look better than games!

#16 Posted by HaRmLeSS_RaGe (1270 posts) -

A few games do look marginally better I would agree. Not worth the zillions of dollars it cost Sony due to teh Cell though.

#17 Posted by OctaBech (276 posts) -
[QUOTE="timbers_WSU"][QUOTE="OctaBech"]Yes, Sony 1'st party pretty much got the 360 beat in lighting, texture res, poly count, shadows, animations, AI (ray casting), screen res and so forth... but what help is that if third party devs made the most fun games to play like CoD and Skyrim? There's a very good reason why Orbis is being made easy to develop for.

Not in raw technical terms, but it does bring up a good point, good art direction can closes the hole (though I would argue the cartoonish lighting held Forza 3 back).
#18 Posted by OctaBech (276 posts) -

A few games do look marginally better I would agree. Not worth the zillions of dollars it cost Sony due to teh Cell though.

HaRmLeSS_RaGe
So very true.
#19 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27328 posts) -

Liquid_
How exactly does that have anything to do with how powerful it was?
#20 Posted by Speedzilla (1756 posts) -

Of course it is. Uncharted 2-3, Killzone 3, God of War 3, all more impressive than any 360 exclusive. The best 360 exclusive needs a whole lot of bloom to look good. (Halo 4)

#21 Posted by lundy86_4 (42876 posts) -

1. Chronos' hands in GOW3

2. That tank in KZ3

3. Uncharted - the plane

BigBoss255

I have no idea why. 

#22 Posted by AdobeArtist (22792 posts) -

360 games were typically 640-720 res.
PS3 games were typically 640-720 res.

Most games on either system run at 30fps with the exception of some racers.

Just how exactly is PS3 "more powerful"? Or are we still waiting for that 120 fps in 4D?

#24 Posted by themajormayor (25678 posts) -
Yup it's much more powerful.
#25 Posted by Gue1 (9456 posts) -

The Cell is still more powerful than an Ivy Bridge core i7 meanwhile the Xbox has nothing over the PC. The only thing that is holding back the Cell is the Ram.

Cell = 240GFLOPS

i7-3770K 3.5GHz = 120GFLOPS

Stay salty herms.  :cool:

#26 Posted by Frostbite24 (4534 posts) -

Not really.

#27 Posted by faizan_faizan (7846 posts) -

No.  Next thread.  

StrongDeadlift

#28 Posted by faizan_faizan (7846 posts) -

It's beautiful 0_0
Oops

#29 Posted by OctaBech (276 posts) -

360 games were typically 640-720 res.
PS3 games were typically 640-720 res.

Most games on either system run at 30fps with the exception of some racers.

Just how exactly is PS3 "more powerful"? Or are we still waiting for that 120 fps in 4D?

AdobeArtist
The op is clearly talking about the games pushing the consoles the most, where ie res difference is more evident. The silly thing is that we are debating this, because 3'rd parties brought most of the fun and PS3's advantage disappeared due to complex architecture complicated by the weak RSX. CELL having to be synced with RSX and the split memory pool was asking too much from 3'rd party devs, who's budgets only go so far.
#30 Posted by Miketheman83 (3156 posts) -
The biggest difference between Sony games and Microsoft games is that Sony games are extremely linear and scripted. God of War still has a fixed camera for Christ sake. Uncharted was very scripted and Killzone was a corridor shooter. When you look at games on the 360 that are practically open world compared to PS3 games. Any games with a certain amount of scale turn out horrible in the PS3, like Skyrim, GTA etc. If Microsoft mace a game where it was a linear, scripted, corridor shooter there is no doubt it would look just as good.
#31 Posted by OctaBech (276 posts) -

The Cell is still more powerful than an Ivy Bridge core i7 meanwhile the Xbox has nothing over the PC. The only thing that is holding back the Cell is the Ram.

Cell = 240GFLOPS

Gue1
But a "simple" thing like Out of Order Execution really makes the life easier for the poor programmer. :)
#32 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5144 posts) -
[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]

No.  Next thread.  

WiiMan21

Because the OP, and the premise of this thread is based on undeniable facts :roll:
#33 Posted by Heil68 (43273 posts) -
[QUOTE="WiiMan21"][QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]

No.  Next thread.  

StrongDeadlift

Because the OP, and the premise of this thread is based on undeniable facts :roll:

So you're just butt hurt? Gotcha!
#34 Posted by Gue1 (9456 posts) -

the Xbox never had good looking games like these. Uncharted always get the graphics awards and that makes everybody feel butthurt and be in denial.

http://youtu.be/lWFByjNqNSg      :cool:

#35 Posted by clone01 (24413 posts) -

Okay.

#36 Posted by faizan_faizan (7846 posts) -

Cell = 240GFLOPS

Gue1
8800 GTS 512 from 2007 = 416 GFLOPS
#37 Posted by Speedzilla (1756 posts) -

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"][QUOTE="WiiMan21"] Oh man, thanks for contributing with your undeniable facts.Heil68

He seems to be bit delusional too.

#38 Posted by Gue1 (9456 posts) -

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"][QUOTE="WiiMan21"] Oh man, thanks for contributing with your undeniable facts.Heil68

have you ever seen this guy being less bitter when talking about something related to Sony?   :lol:

#39 Posted by faizan_faizan (7846 posts) -

the Xbox never had good looking games like these. Uncharted always get the graphics awards and that makes everybody feel butthurt and be in denial.

http://youtu.be/lWFByjNqNSg      :cool:

Gue1
OH MAI GAWD LOOK @ DIS INCREDIBLY DETAILED WALL  OH NOEZ
#40 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34129 posts) -

If the PS3 was more powerful, it wasn't by much.

#41 Posted by JohnF111 (14048 posts) -
As far as I'm concerned Gears 3 looks better than any PS3 game, Killzone 3 and Uncharted 3 however are exceptions which are equal I would say, there are good looking games but from a pure graphics standpoint Gears 3 wins, the next GoW might beat it though.
#42 Posted by Heil68 (43273 posts) -

[QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"] Because the OP, and the premise of this thread is based on undeniable facts :roll:Gue1

have you ever seen this guy being less bitter when talking about something related to Sony?   :lol:

Sure sign of jellyious butt hurt.
#43 Posted by AmnesiaHaze (5683 posts) -

ps3 has still lots of hidden power in its cell, last of us and beyond will raise the bar even higher

#44 Posted by 720OwnsPS4 (131 posts) -

No it's not. You can believe what you like though.

#45 Posted by dom2000 (505 posts) -
Lets argue about a very distant 2nd place were there is a best a 5% difference between the two consoles, and thats probably pushing it. Silly console gamers!
#46 Posted by WiiMan21 (8153 posts) -
[QUOTE="WiiMan21"][QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]

No.  Next thread.  

StrongDeadlift

To an extent, but the fact that he put more effort than your post really shows something.
#47 Posted by AmnesiaHaze (5683 posts) -
Lets argue about a very distant 2nd place were there is a best a 5% difference between the two consoles, and thats probably pushing it. Silly console gamers!dom2000
thats the purpose of system wars isnt it? you might want to visit your master race forum instead :D
#48 Posted by badlalo59 (899 posts) -

For me it works perfectly. Whereas the X360 has died on me twice. I doubt I'll buy a 3rd. I did luv playing Halo 4 multiplayer though and still have a month left of Live but I'm done with this generation 360. Maybe the next one will be better. We'll see.  

#49 Posted by locopatho (20131 posts) -
360 and PS3 are equal. PS3 has better graphics in linear games, but 360 runs open world games better. It's a tie to anyone who's played both. The rest is just fanboy hype.
#50 Posted by PAL360 (26657 posts) -

This gen lasted more than the usual, and both consoles ended up with similar looking multiplats and exclusives! It's clear they are equaly camable.