So now that CoD is finally dead

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for GiveMeSomething
GiveMeSomething

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 GiveMeSomething
Member since 2007 • 1323 Posts

What did people migrate to? I just tried CoD on ps4 and there are around 35k people online right now (dead pretty much) Which multiplayer games are active nowadays?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

It is?

Based on the PS4 game,really?

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

Ghosts was just plain bad... multiplayer and single player. The ending for single player was good... but that doesn't make up for the story in general <.<

Black Ops 2 tends to have more players online than ghosts.

But, cod being dead is far-fetched.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#4 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14411 Posts

Yeah, because 35,000 players on one platform means an entire franchise is dead.

/sarcasm

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

At 35k it's probably the 2nd most popular mp game on PS 4. BF 4 has 37k right now so I guess that means BF is dead now too.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

in what world is COD dead?

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

35k players on the newest platform with the lowest install base and the least popular title in the franchise means the whole franchise is dead...

I heard about exaggerations but you sure take the prize TC

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

35k people is quite a lot, take into account other platforms its probably one of the most popular online games. God knows why people play it so much.

All military online shooters bore me, its basically paintball on repeat.

GiveMeSomething

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GiveMeSomething

I don't know, I just want a populated game

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 06
Member since 2003 • 998 Posts

Why do people play CoD so much? Saw Advanced warfare and was actually thinking of getting my first call of duty game, but then I saw that guns have NO recoil, it's like your shooting a water gun... Never mind even water guns have some type of recoil, and that just bothered me, maybe it's just me being too picky, then I saw some hard line online gamplay and it actually looked fun, so I'm thinking battlefield right now, oh and the guns in battlefield sound like real guns and also recoil.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BldgIrsh

@06 said:

Why do people play CoD so much? Saw Advanced warfare and was actually thinking of getting my first call of duty game, but then I saw that guns have NO recoil, it's like your shooting a water gun... Never mind even water guns have some type of recoil, and that just bothered me, maybe it's just me being too picky, then I saw some hard line online gamplay and it actually looked fun, so I'm thinking battlefield right now, oh and the guns in battlefield sound like real guns and also recoil.

Pretty much why people like CoD so much.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@06 said:

The weapons do have recoil. The recoil is on a much small scale because the maps are small and game pace is much faster then Battlefield.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Cranler

@bldgirsh said:

@06 said:

LOL NO! Arena fps have no recoil so why aren't those as popular as CoD?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 06

@JangoWuzHere:

Hmmm, maybe I didn't look hard enough but I really didn't see any. I don't really find that a good excuse, battlefield doesn't reduce recoil when in tighter smaller areas, it just seems like there trying to make the game easier for players, but a more accessible game isn't a bad thing.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

COD is dead to me but it's not dead.

GiveMeSomething

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GiveMeSomething

@06 said:

Yeah, earlier today I played 2 matches and that was it, i couldn't play it anymore, so boring... I'm now playing plants vs zombies, now that's a fun game lol (u wouldn't believe it know xD)

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17  Edited By Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 06

@bldgirsh:

That could be why it attracts so many kids, you don't have to be as accurate so it does make it easier never thought of that.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Cranler

@06 said:

@bldgirsh:

That could be why it attracts so many kids, you don't have to be as accurate so it does make it easier never thought of that.

No it's because it takes 2 bullets to the foot to get a kill and you get to spawn with your fav weapon. Arena shooters have no recoil but require tons of damage to get a kill.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 06

@GiveMeSomething:

Really, never expected that to be any fun, I may have to look at some gameplay, but do teh plants has the recoil? LOL

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BldgIrsh

@06 said:

@bldgirsh:

Basically, a game that requires skill narrows the audience. Have a sniper rifle and across the map? Don't worry you can quickscope the target perfectly without worrying about distance and sway.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 06

@Cranler:

That's right, just remembered, but those spawn times in CoD, is it like .5secs to spawn after death, was I imagining that?

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BldgIrsh

@06: Respawns is instantaneous. Except certain game modes like CTF and SnD.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Called it.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@06 said:

@JangoWuzHere:

Hmmm, maybe I didn't look hard enough but I really didn't see any. I don't really find that a good excuse, battlefield doesn't reduce recoil when in tighter smaller areas, it just seems like there trying to make the game easier for players, but a more accessible game isn't a bad thing.

Well, the movement and general feel in Call of Duty is much faster and snapier. The movement in Battlefield is much slower and a bit more tactical. You have to focus on accuracy and control in Battlefield while Call of Duty is about outpacing your opponent and reaction time.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Cranler

@06 said:

@Cranler:

That's right, just remembered, but those spawn times in CoD, is it like .5secs to spawn after death, was I imagining that?

Arena shooters have instaspawn as well.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Cranler

@Heirren said:

Called it.

I think Advanced Warfare will sell great. I doubt CoD will ever die.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@Cranler: it is on the way out and has been for awhile.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

CoD died after MW3 for me

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

nearly dead cod is still better than 95% of games, it has a long way to go before it dies for realz. AW will still do strongly.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Cranler

@Heirren said:

Black Ops 2 broke sales records when it released. Ghosts sold less but that's just one game. Still though there's more people playing Ghosts than any other console shooter.

Why would you think it's going out? People always cite guitar games and Tony Hawk but music and skateboarding simply don't gel with videogaming like shooters do. If CoD dies it would mean that shooters are dying which is as likely to happen as the NFL dying.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@Cranler said:

@Heirren said:

Black Ops 2 broke sales records when it released. Ghosts sold less but that's just one game. Still though there's more people playing Ghosts than any other console shooter.

Why would you think it's going out? People always cite guitar games and Tony Hawk but music and skateboarding simply don't gel with videogaming like shooters do. If CoD dies it would mean that shooters are dying which is as likely to happen as the NFL dying.

While it sold a lot, I think there was still a reported decline with BO2 relative to MW3

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Cranler

@lostrib said:

@Cranler said:

@Heirren said:

While it sold a lot, I think there was still a reported decline with BO2 relative to MW3

Don't have the final tallies of the games to compare. 6-7 million sales would probably be enough to make a little profit. Ghosts sold at least 16 million copies.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#35 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

35k people playing is dead?

That's a strong community.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Cranler

@Wasdie said:

35k people playing is dead?

That's a strong community.

This.

Plus there's a lot of casual gamers who only buy 1 or 2 games a year. When a game sells 33 million copies like GTA V did last year it's certainly going to take sales away from other games that appeal to casuals.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#37 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I played so much MOH:Allied Assault back in the day that I wonder whether I will ever be interested in braindead run and gun games like COD again.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Cranler

@KungfuKitten said:

I played so much MOH:Allied Assault back in the day that I wonder whether I will ever be interested in braindead run and gun games like COD again.

How is MOH AA less braindead? I remember people would run n gun while leaning in that game.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

um, 35k is no where near dead

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Cranler

@blangenakker said:

um, 35k is no where near dead

Plus we must remember that consolites are fragmented between 4 consoles. Add them up and there's about 200k concurrent players.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@Cranler said:

@bldgirsh said:

@06 said:

Because Arena Shooters demanding alot more in movement and map knowledge and power domination. a higher skill cieling, and a higher point of entry.

That and cmon... same as sports games really.... WW1/2 shooters were quite popular... but suddenly relating CoD4 to the on going iraq war theme ..... just appealed to so many more casual gamers than ever before.

Quake/UT are alien in comparison.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42  Edited By R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

@GiveMeSomething said:

So now that CoD is finally dead

It's not

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Cranler

@MBirdy88 said:

@Cranler said:

@bldgirsh said:

@06 said:

Because Arena Shooters demanding alot more in movement and map knowledge and power domination. a higher skill cieling, and a higher point of entry.

That and cmon... same as sports games really.... WW1/2 shooters were quite popular... but suddenly relating CoD4 to the on going iraq war theme ..... just appealed to so many more casual gamers than ever before.

Quake/UT are alien in comparison.

It was a rhetorical question. I was pointing out that no recoil does't automatically make a game noob friendly.

You left out the fact that in most arena fps you have to be proficient with all weapons to do well while in CoD you only have to be good with one weapon to do well.

Arena fps typically require quite a bit more damage to get a kill. In CoD you can get a kill with an assault rifle with 2 bullets. The starting weapon in Quake Live is a machine gun that does 5 points of damage per bullet. This reduces the luck factor. In CoD you can kill anyone no matter how good if you see them before they see you while in Quake a better player can turn around and frag you if he's better.

I say those two factors are just as big as the movement and timing.

What made CoD 4 so popular was the added customization, unlocks and killstreaks. GRAW wasn't super popular.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

I dabbled in COD4 multiplayer, then Battlefield Bad Company came out and I never looked back. Still played the games for the SP until the SP side of stuff started sucking, after Black Ops and MW3 I said goodbye to the series for good. Anyhow, I could forgive the SP side of Battlefield beginnig to suck over time, after all there was great emphasis put on the MP and that's what I loved, but after Battlefield 4 I'm beginning to think there might not be much of a future for the series. Now I'm beginning to question "what's next?".

Well, I hope the upcoming Battlefronts game is epic.

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#45 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

35k playing doesn't sound dead to me. That is a lot of casuals playing a casual game.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#46 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@NFJSupreme said:

COD is dead to me but it's not dead.

its dead and buried

ninjaxams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47 ninjaxams
Member since 2004 • 7500 Posts

@bldgirsh said:

@06 said:

um compared to firing a real life firearm no game has accurate recoil in any game ever. most of these armchair warriors couldn't handle a ak-47 pumping 7.62 on full auto. would be funny as hell to watch though lol.