Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

*may contain spoilers*

I never played Ninja Theory's DMC game when it originally came out on ps3, so when It came on ps4 I thought I would see what all the fuss is about. Now finally after playing both games, I must say the old DMC is better just like I thought. First I will start with the minor things like the art and design.

I found the new Dmc to be pretty lack luster in the art and design. There is good use of contrasting colors and the technical stuff like lighting looked really good, but the character models did not (especially the faces). Also the environments where not diverse enough to keep my attention imo. They kept repeating the empty space with floating debris sequences throughout the game and it got visually boring.

Next, the story. The story in the original games are cringe worthy but this game takes it to a new level. The dry sounding emo kid with one liners was awful and many of the lines were so over done in other mediums It makes Ninja Theory look very out of touch if they were trying to incorporate modern lingo in the game. The whole Nephilim thing which is a key part of the plot didn't even make sense because a Nephilim is when a fallen angel (demon) gets with a human and not with an angel like in the game. Next, the side characters were uninteresting and Kat was just pretty much a tool for Vergil having no motives or convictions of her own which is unbelievable for someone to have. She continued to try to stop Dante from hurting Vergil and would much rather let her very own race be ruled by one man.

Finally and most importantly, the gameplay. The new DmC was very linear and the environments were all open spaces giving the player plenty of room for easy dodging and spacing opportunities. Getting a SSS was once something to be kind of proud about now can be pulled off with ease with the angel chain. The bosses were forgettable damage sponges and also where the cheesiest lines and banter in the game come from. Virgil pretty much played the same as Dante with little variety in play. None of the bosses required any thinking or strategy other than to spam and occasionally dodge their easy tells.

After playing both games on PS4 and the DMC collection again on PS3. The older ones had much more interesting characters and concept artwork. The bosses had mixed it up requiring you to think in the battle. For example, when you had to face two bosses at the same time in DMC 3, and depending on which one you killed first the other one would get insanely strong. So you had to work to kill both nearly at the same time. The older games mixed it up with puzzles and other things to add variety and didn't just throw one at the near end of the game. You had to go back to old environments to find new paths after you triggered some kind of event in the game. Finally, the story was bad-ass cheesy and not just trying-to-be-hip-using-the-word-****-all the time cheesy.

So, DMC fans of all kinds, what are your thoughts on the older games vs the new one? Should Capcom continue to outsource it's franchises to other developers because they do a better job? Am I completely wrong and you disagree? Did you start with the new DmC and have a different opinion?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

new DMC>>>>>old shitty DMC games.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

Man you are trying too hard.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

Any Devil May Cry (ok, except 2) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DmC.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mems_1224

@ReadingRainbow4 said:
@mems_1224 said:

giving my honest opinion is trying too hard? whatever helps you sleep at night buddy.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ReadingRainbow4

@mems_1224 said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:
@mems_1224 said:

giving my honest opinion is trying too hard? whatever helps you sleep at night buddy.

Sorry, I just can't fathom how someone thinks Ninja Theories latest turd is better than DMC 3.

It wasn't my intention to offend, I sleep pretty well actually.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

I thought DmC's gameplay was decent, but could not stand Donte. Almost wanted to play the game on mute so I didn't have to hear the horrendous dialogue. DMC was lighthearted to a degree with its cheesiness. DmC tried way too hard to be edgy and had some cringe-worthy scenes.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
  1. Devil May Cry 3
  2. Devil May Cry
  3. Devil May Cry 4
  4. DmC: Devil May Cry

For me. One's simpler combat and dated camera I can deal with because I like the bosses more and the general atmosphere that game had. 4 would be higher if the level design wasn't such garbage. 3 has some rough edges, but overall the combat engine for custom combos is sublime. DmC has a better combat engine than it was expected to have, but the rest of the gameplay is duller. The platforming segments are lame, all the boss fights suck, and the level design has never been a DMC strong point, and that part continues because Ninja Theory has never been good in that regard.

Honestly I could see the argument for DmC, it's a more consistent action game, but I prefer 4, it's more challenging, the combat engine has cooler tricks, and legendary dark knight mode is hype.

Either way Devil May Cry 3 is the only great one, with maybe a nod to OG DMC for being as influential as it is. DMC4 is actually pretty disappointing, and the new DmC was an okay game that is outclassed by better DMC combat engines, at least two of them as overall games, and then doesn't hold a fucking candle to the stuff Platinum Games makes. But that's because Ninja Theory makes mediocre games and has always made mediocre games.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mems_1224

@ReadingRainbow4 said:
@mems_1224 said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:
@mems_1224 said:

Sorry, I just can't fathom how someone thinks Ninja Theories latest turd is better than DMC 3.

I don't get offended by stupid people so no worries. You're more than welcome to enjoy awful games.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ReadingRainbow4

@mems_1224 said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:
@mems_1224 said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:
@mems_1224 said:

I don't get offended by stupid people so no worries. You're more than welcome to enjoy awful games.

DMC 3 is an awful game now?

And I'm the stupid one? ok. I think you might just be cranky at this point so I'll let the asinine comment slide.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:
@mems_1224 said:

And I'm the stupid one? ok. I think you might just be cranky at this point so I'll let the asinine comment slide.

mems typically hates good games and likes terrible games.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mems_1224

@princeofshapeir said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:
@mems_1224 said:

what bad games do i like exactly?

princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 princeofshapeir

@mems_1224 said:
@princeofshapeir said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:
@mems_1224 said:

DmC, for one

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mems_1224

@princeofshapeir said:
@mems_1224 said:
@princeofshapeir said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:
@mems_1224 said:

DmC, for one

Why is it terrible?

princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 princeofshapeir

@mems_1224 said:
@princeofshapeir said:
@mems_1224 said:

DmC, for one

Why is it terrible?

shallow mechanics, dumb story, and one of the worst reimaginings of a classic video game character to date

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mems_1224

@princeofshapeir said:
@mems_1224 said:
@princeofshapeir said:
@mems_1224 said:

DmC, for one

Why is it terrible?

shallow mechanics, dumb story, and one of the worst reimaginings of a classic video game character to date

so basically "waaah i want the main character to look like the stupid one from the old crappy games i liked"

lol at going to a DMC game for story.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@mems_1224 said:
@princeofshapeir said:
@mems_1224 said:
@princeofshapeir said:
@mems_1224 said:

DmC, for one

Why is it terrible?

so basically "waaah i want the main character to look like the stupid one from the old crappy games i liked"

He mentioned more negatives there than just the story and Donte.

The gameplay in general just wasn't very good.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mems_1224

@ReadingRainbow4 said:
@mems_1224 said:
@princeofshapeir said:
@mems_1224 said:
@princeofshapeir said:
@mems_1224 said:

DmC, for one

Why is it terrible?

He mentioned more negatives there than just the story.

he mentioned 3, i replied to 2. i didn't have a problem with the mechanics. i thought they were fine.

princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By princeofshapeir

@mems_1224 said:
@princeofshapeir said:
@mems_1224 said:

Why is it terrible?

nice opinion

and i don't really care about the story in devil may cry games, but the story in DmC is just laughably bad and full of contrived efforts to be edgy. it's hard to ignore how bad it is

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#20 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

That time of month apparently.

Old DMC wins, for one it actually feels creative, even if DMC 1 aged poorly in many regards, second, it's not a Ninja Theory game. That's a pretty big win for any game.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ReadingRainbow4

@princeofshapeir said:
@mems_1224 said:
@princeofshapeir said:
@mems_1224 said:

Why is it terrible?

nice opinion

and i don't really care about the story in devil may cry games, but the story in DmC is just laughably bad and full of contrived efforts to be edgy. it's hard to ignore how bad it is

As long as mems didn't find issue with something it's not a valid complaint bro. See how this works?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mems_1224

@ReadingRainbow4 said:
@princeofshapeir said:
@mems_1224 said:
@princeofshapeir said:
@mems_1224 said:

Why is it terrible?

nice opinion

As long as mems didn't find issue with something it's not a valid complaint bro. See how this works?

pretty much. glad you finally caught up. i knew you were slow but i didnt think you were THAT slow.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ReadingRainbow4

@mems_1224 said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:
@princeofshapeir said:
@mems_1224 said:
@princeofshapeir said:
@mems_1224 said:

Why is it terrible?

nice opinion

pretty much. glad you finally caught up. i knew you were slow but i didnt think you were THAT slow.

didn't.

right, ok.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mems_1224

@ReadingRainbow4 said:
@mems_1224 said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:
@princeofshapeir said:
@mems_1224 said:
@princeofshapeir said:
@mems_1224 said:

Why is it terrible?

nice opinion

didn't.

right, ok.

lulz, resorting to being a grammar nazi. the saddest last straw a person can grasp.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ReadingRainbow4

@mems_1224 said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:
@mems_1224 said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:
@princeofshapeir said:
@mems_1224 said:
@princeofshapeir said:
@mems_1224 said:

Why is it terrible?

nice opinion

didn't.

right, ok.

lulz, resorting to being a grammar nazi. the saddest last straw a person can grasp.

Generally when you accuse someone of being slow you should at least grasp how basic punctuation works.

You already reached the saddest depths in this thread I'm afraid, kind of hard to go lower.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

Well thanks guys for derailing the thread with your "banter". @mems_1224 could you at least explain why you like DmC over the older games so there can be some debate and more importantly, actual discussion?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mems_1224

@Ghost120x said:

Well thanks guys for derailing the thread with your "banter". @mems_1224 could you at least explain why you like DmC over the older games so there can be some debate and more importantly, actual discussion?

hey, they attacked me unprovoked over my opinion. i thought the new one was fun in a way the old ones never were for me. i had fun with the combat and i didnt really have a problem with the new dante or the story. plus it had some really cool looking levels like the night club and the boss battle with that Fox news anchor.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mems_1224

@ReadingRainbow4 said:
@mems_1224 said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

didn't.

right, ok.

Generally when you accuse someone of being slow you should at least grasp how basic punctuation works.

You already reached the saddest depths in this thread I'm afraid, kind of hard to go lower.

at least capitalize when you go full grammar hitler. otherwise, you just look like a bigger tool.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

This was discussed couple months ago.......

Many pussies preferred Bayonetta or new DmC simply due to the ease of performing combos and better fluidity.

Vets preferred DmC3 because more freedom, options, and creativity.

Now cuz I can:

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@mems_1224 said:
@princeofshapeir said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:
@mems_1224 said:

YOUR TASTE IS SHIIIIIIIIIET.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mems_1224

@silversix_ said:
@mems_1224 said:
@princeofshapeir said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:
@mems_1224 said:

YOUR TASTE IS SHIIIIIIIIIET.

you like souls games. your opinion is irrelevant

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Old DMC, duh.

1. DMC3
  2. DMC1
  3. DMC4

-

-

-

19. DmC

-

28. DMC2

magmadragoonx4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 magmadragoonx4
Member since 2015 • 697 Posts

DevilMayCry4 is great when the speed is turned up and you ignore the repetition. I haven't played the console special edition but I assume the visuals would compare to the PC dx10 version which are very clearly superior to the DMC graphics. The old camera was real bad but being forced into color coded fighting style is horrible there is no winning, there is no more clover studio at Capcom. I think it's a bit confusing but we just have to follow what Platinum is up to for the true sequels(Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising).

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

That is a big fat load of Nostalgia Laced Bullshit.

Let me start with DmC:

Each enviroment was most definitely different and unique if you actually took just one second to notice you go from a carnival to a street level then to factory then to a church like area and so on including a disco and even an parts of a sub way....Upside Down, DmC had a **** load of variety and you didn't have repeat or backtrack to someplace you had already been to even a single time. ... speaking of which.

The Older Games did not have puzzles.... they had fetch quests you needed to go pixel hunting looking for something to place into something in order to continue, THATS NOT A PUZZLE and the President Evil world layout was pretty fucking pointless if all the areas were locked off or empty space saved for later events in the game.

The Bosses were pretty much identical, not a single one of them requires abit of thinking, that example you gave does not require thinking it simply required fast reflexes and endurance, I think DMC 4's Savior required alil though but it was mostly trial and error just trying to figure out how to lop off those unreachable crystals. Still one of my favourite Bosses next to Jubeleius in Bayonetta.

You critism about the combat is superficial. It seems like you were way to focused on the ranking systems than you were on the actual mechanics, I do believe there is something wron with the combat in DmC but if your only argument is "Getting a SSS was so easy" then I can't take you seriously..... if you want then they can simply readjust the scaling on the ranking system.... just to give you some idea of how ridiculous that argument is.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#36  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

Very much enjoyed the new DMC''s "They Live" and "Blade" inspired world.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37  Edited By Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Lets look at gameplay.

Old DMC:Every enemy can be killed with every weapon/unless they fly then you gotta get creative/ so its your "Style"

New DMC DMC:Red enemy - Red weapon , Blue enemy - Blue weapon.Ninja Theory's "Style"

Story is bad in all of them.

I have said it before , i will say it again:New DMC is not a bad game , its a bad "DMC" game

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 OneSanitarium
Member since 2009 • 6959 Posts

DmC just has too many problems thrown throughout that just make it a bad game. It has decent combat, definitely above average for most action games, but even that aspect is made worse by stupid design choices.

DMC is just better than DmC.

UltimateImp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#39 UltimateImp
Member since 2015 • 1192 Posts

@mems_1224 said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Did you just call him stupid? That's a word you use for people who are less intelligent than you are, and you're the least intelligent person in this thread.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#40  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

I'm probably the biggest DMC fan here and I would say

DMC 3 >>> DMC >> DmC = DMC4 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DMC 2

this when it comes to the overall package. Combat alone I would put

DMC 3 > DMC4 (even though you could change the styles on the fly in DMC 4, the weapons and combos were better on DMC 3 imo) >>>>>>> DmC >>>> DMC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DMC 2

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#41 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts
@ultimateimp said:
@mems_1224 said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Did you just call him stupid? That's a word you use for people who are less intelligent than you are, and you're the least intelligent person in this thread.

mems is not only the least intelligent person on this thread. He's also the least intelligent person lurking on these forums

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

I loved what the Ninja Theory folks did with the IP. DmC is great. I've only ever played the original Devil May Cry and I don't have fond memories of it.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#43  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

DMC3 > DMC > Run-DMC > DMC4 > DmC > DMC2

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

I think the obvious answer to this is DMC 3.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts

Old DMC is for goths. New DmC is for emos.

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts

Ummm did we play the same game? "Lackluster art?" Your telling me this has lackluster art? Coming from someone who's played all DMC games Dmc is hands down the reboot the series needed.

And new Dante's design is questionable but his attitude is not whiny or "emo." He act's like the same humorous bad ass as old Dante.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@bobrossperm said:

Yeah because a bright red coat screams "Goth" lol.

Great post by the way.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#49 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

@Ant_17 said:
@bobrossperm said:

Yeah because a bright red coat screams "Goth" lol.

Great post by the way.

Goth has evolved bub

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#50 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@Jag85 said:

DMC3 > DMC > Run-DMC > DMC4 > DmC > DMC2

This is ridiculous, Run-DMC should be way the **** higher.