So Nintendo will be the next Bally Total Fitness.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by TigerSuperman (4331 posts) -

Well Wii U going to flop inevitably aside along with lower than expected 3DS sales Nintendo has been looking at two projects, one that will fail, and the primary one, QOL. Which is basically health and fitness.

If QOL qorks now Nintendo will probably sell of top First party studio(s) and focus completely on QOL or spin them off into their own companies.

This is very similar to the case when Bally, who is not a fitness thing, was a Video Game company. Bally had an extreme reputation with their games and their studios, MOSTLY one .the studio.

Oddly enough Bally decided to bring in a console trying to capitalize on something popular as a gimmick and it did not work out to well, pissing off third parties and retailers, and refusing to move with the rest of the industry. Bally has been relying mostly on their FP for years but it finally caught up to them with their last system and game/arcade sales since. So they though "Toys and Fitness are thing we may do to expand instead of moving with the market" what do you know, Nintendo is thinking the same thing. Oddly, Fitness won, and now Bally is a multimillion dollar exercise chain.

Nintendo seems to be going through this same thing.

#2 Posted by wolverine4262 (20723 posts) -

Mario is gonna have to slim down and lay off the shrooms.

#3 Posted by nintendoboy16 (31369 posts) -

Should THAT be true, it goes with what I said about them pulling out of the games industry than go third party.

#4 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (2620 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

Should THAT be true, it goes with what I said about them pulling out of the games industry than go third party.

if that actually happens, then it will be a blow to gaming as a whole. i don't think it will, just last gen the wii and the ds outsold everything. they just need a good marketing plan and a more powerful console.

#5 Edited by nintendoboy16 (31369 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

if that actually happens, then it will be a blow to gaming as a whole. i don't think it will, just last gen the wii and the ds outsold everything. they just need a good marketing plan and a more powerful console.

If that's the case, maybe the industry could use a kick in the pants with all the bullshit going on. Besides, not like gaming will go away with Nintendo gone.

#6 Edited by lamprey263 (32806 posts) -

Such a labored analogy.

Nintendo is at a breaking even point on everything with the Wii U, so now they can actually turn a profit with the 3DS side of things. I've no doubt they'll return to profitability the end of the fiscal year, not a great one but probably a marginal one. That means they won't be breaking up. Even if they were to lose a couple hundred million dollars a year they could easily ride that out until the unveiling of their next console and handheld, so no I don't imagine they'll be going anywhere for years to come. If, however, their next venture takes a nose-dive, then them going into making games third party would be plausible. And, if that happened, the game studios would stick around because they'd be the ones making the games. It'd be hardware side of things that might see changes, but even if they were to make things third party I highly doubt they'll abandon the handheld market, I imagine at the very least they'll attempt to keep that alive.

#7 Edited by Speak_Low (2249 posts) -

I don't know what they're doing with QOL, but it's disturbing that one of Nintendo's QOL slides said they will "leap frog" over current health wearables and other industry standards. So they think they have some brilliant idea and surefire roadmap that other successful companies haven't thought of or explored yet (like our health industry needed Nintendo to save them). Where have I seen this type of conceit before?

And if one day there's a Nintendo Gym or gym equipment with the Nintendo logo on it, I'm going to laugh so hard that I'll probably burn 500 calories per hour just from thinking of Nintendo and where they ended up.

#8 Posted by MirkoS77 (11060 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

They put out a more powerful console in the state they're currently in with third parties, they'd kill themselves.

OT, I've no faith in this QoL. Iwata came out and said he hastily threw the idea together in a matter of weeks and that's exactly how it feels. Considering how much Nintendo is depending on its success I think it's a stupid plan. But we are talking about Iwata here, so...

#9 Posted by TigerSuperman (4331 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

Such a labored analogy.

Nintendo is at a breaking even point on everything with the Wii U, so now they can actually turn a profit with the 3DS side of things. I've no doubt they'll return to profitability the end of the fiscal year, not a great one but probably a marginal one. That means they won't be breaking up. Even if they were to lose a couple hundred million dollars a year they could easily ride that out until the unveiling of their next console and handheld, so no I don't imagine they'll be going anywhere for years to come. If, however, their next venture takes a nose-dive, then them going into making games third party would be plausible. And, if that happened, the game studios would stick around because they'd be the ones making the games. It'd be hardware side of things that might see changes, but even if they were to make things third party I highly doubt they'll abandon the handheld market, I imagine at the very least they'll attempt to keep that alive.

Nintendo has not been at any break even point whatsoever, 3DS is not even within expectations either, this is not the GBA, nothing is holding Wii U losses, and they are barely throwing in any profit from the 3DS atm, why the heck do you think they are panicking? Digital sales are also way down.

#10 Posted by Jag85 (8774 posts) -

@wolverine4262 said:

Mario is gonna have to slim down and lay off the shrooms.

Mario Fit?

#12 Edited by sonic_spark (5272 posts) -

Funny comparison.

#13 Posted by TigerSuperman (4331 posts) -

@farrell2k said:

In 90 some years, the past two years were the only ones where Nintendo lost money. Microsoft hasn't made a dime in gaming in 14 years, and Sony is on the verge of bankruptcy, but it's Nintendo that is in trouble??? You people are either the most ignorant in the world, or just plain nuts.

Or you don't know how finances work.

If Bob had a 4 billion dollar company but makes no real profits, and ends up with 500,000 left, he still had not gone in the red, but now his company can almost die instantly if something bad happens.

Xbox 360 has been adding nothing but green to the Xbox division since the losses of the first Xbox. They are in the yellow going into green, they have not "lost" money. Just that MS has not made flat out in pocket profit from the Xbox Division. Nintendo is panicking for a reason.