So it seems Amazon Fire TV flopped.

#1 Edited by TigerSuperman (2002 posts) -

So seems there were a couple losses in the ol; report for Amazons hardware division. Almost entirely from the supposed FireTv multimedia game device (with controller).

So i suppose this kind of confirms that using a basic phone OS to try and drive a home game console will never work? If the biggest name in online retail has failed than who else could do it? Hopefully this kills the Android console or IOS console ideas and we get more legit players in the real console arena.

Maybe Samsung will make an enclosed console with exclusive content now.

Sig

___

A great deal I do:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=161292436349

#2 Edited by farrell2k (5811 posts) -

Nope. It just demonstrates that the hardware market is still tough for new players.

#3 Edited by TigerSuperman (2002 posts) -

Nope. It just demonstrates that the hardware market is still tough for new players.

This is a dumb conclusion when the vast majority of old and new players failed using the same exact set-up. Also hardware market is vague, Amazon's already in the "hardware market."

#4 Posted by magicalclick (22456 posts) -

Because chromecast is smaller. Big box sux.

#5 Posted by farrell2k (5811 posts) -

@farrell2k said:

This is a dumb conclusion when the vast majority of old and new players failed using the same exact set-up. Also hardware market is vague, Amazon's already in the "hardware market."

Simple observation seems to confirm my conclusion...

#6 Posted by TigerSuperman (2002 posts) -

@TigerSuperman said:

@farrell2k said:

Simple observation seems to confirm my conclusion...

Simple observation conflicts with your conclusion

#7 Edited by inb4uall (5362 posts) -

There are too many variables to isolate the reason consumers didn't want amazon TV. TC is an idiot as always.

#8 Edited by TigerSuperman (2002 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

There are too many variables to isolate the reason consumers didn't want amazon TV. TC is an idiot as always.

I never said anything you just wrote. You seem to have a few mental issues to work out,

Only you would get this from an actual report saying the TV flopped because of lack of difference from the competition (or so they say.)

#9 Posted by topgunmv (10187 posts) -

Amazon specifically said it wasn't a console.

#10 Posted by Sphensen (736 posts) -

No surprise considering almost everyone owns something that can stream video

#11 Posted by inb4uall (5362 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

I never said anything you just wrote. You seem to have a few mental issues to work out,

Only you would get this from an actual report saying the TV flopped because of lack of difference from the competition (or so they say.)

You said"So i suppose this kind of confirms that using a basic phone OS to try and drive a home game console will never work?" I'm saying there are too many variables for you to make that statement. You are still an idiot. Also LOL at selling a neo geo, shitty 4gb 360 and your garbage phone for $500.

#12 Edited by misterpmedia (3363 posts) -

The market is already saturated. Also selling the controller separately? Dafuq Amazon lol.

Makes me wish Amazon came out with a proper console instead of a s000ped up Ouya. Was really disappointed with the hyped up reveal of mysterious Amazonian hardware.

#13 Posted by TigerSuperman (2002 posts) -
#14 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10316 posts) -

I don't know what cool-aid you've been drinking but iOS and Android gamers are real gamers.... Its more than I can say for our cutscene riddled console games.

#15 Posted by topgunmv (10187 posts) -

@topgunmv said:

Amazon specifically said it wasn't a console.

Issue is the media says other wise. And the fact they sold the controller separately intentionally competing in that area.

Far as I know it's just a generic android controller, I actually have one that looks almost exactly like it. When I first saw pictures of it I just assumed it was going to be a kindle accessory.

They did however release exclusive games for the thing, so that does lend some credence to the thought that perhaps they had higher aspirations.

#16 Posted by AdrianWerner (27986 posts) -

Umm..what? Where did you get the idea that it flopped?

#17 Edited by Kinthalis (5306 posts) -

OP is the only one who seems to have flopped. Can't even bother to link to the report or a summary.

My guess is that a reported loss on that front fits perfectly with the market narrative of them launching a BRAND NEW HARDWARE PRODUCT to market. This hardware is an entry point into their marketplace. I wouldn't be surprised if they are selling at cost or possibly even below. It's priced very competitively and sports better hardware than other similar devices.

But that doesn't matter. Like a console, they are going to make their money from selling you digital movies and music and games. It's possible that this revenue will never be tabulated within their hardware division.

#18 Posted by Ghost120x (3739 posts) -

Isn't it typical that a hardware launch is associated with a loss? Wouldn't they will make money back over time on prime memberships and app downloads?

#19 Posted by lhughey (4223 posts) -

Amazon will tweak it. They've shown that they can improve a product over many generations and make it very competitive (within the boundaries of their vision, of course).

#20 Edited by always_explicit (2716 posts) -

The biggest criticism I have over this is the fact that its been marketed extremely poorly. I have only heard it mentioned in a few discussions online. New hardware always needs a massive push at launch, people need to see it and understand it in order to talk about it and decide if it meets their needs as a consumer. This is also where the Nintendo WiiU failed.

#21 Edited by OhSnapitz (18118 posts) -

Why would consumers want a product like that when they can access amazon prime content on the devices they already have? ( smart tv's, gaming systems, bluray players ect).

#22 Posted by farrell2k (5811 posts) -

Why would consumers want a product like that when they can access amazon prime content on the devices they already have? ( smart tv's, gaming systems, bluray players ect).

For the same reason millions of people bought a Roku....they didn't have those other devices.

#23 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (17351 posts) -

The problem with amazing fire TV is that it entered a crowded market. There are too many devices that already stream amazon, hulu, hbogo, netflix, and everything else. They were late to the game and brought nothing new to the table.

So yeah...flop.

#24 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (17351 posts) -

@OhSnapitz said:

For the same reason millions of people bought a Roku....they didn't have those other devices.

Roku came out when devices like this still mattered. And even then ROKU had a hard time really making a big name for itself.

#25 Posted by B4X (3643 posts) -

Is it true the Fire TV doesn't sort Prime content form digital purchases? If so, they need to fix that asap. That is Bad.

That's what I saw on some reviews at amazon.

#26 Posted by Kinthalis (5306 posts) -

@b4x said:

Is it true the Fire TV doesn't sort Prime content form digital purchases? If so, they need to fix that asap. That is Bad.

Yep. But it looks like they do plan on fixing that in an upcoming update.

#28 Edited by bbkkristian (14945 posts) -

It did not attempt to be innovative, so why should it succeed? If you're going to be a new player, you have to go in with a fresh idea. This isn't the iOS store, where knock offs are praised and downloaded. Welcome to the industry, Amazon.

#29 Edited by B4X (3643 posts) -

@b4x said:

Yep. But it looks like they do plan on fixing that in an upcoming update.

Thank god. I might pick it up for my bedroom. That was a pretty big oversight.

#30 Posted by shawn30 (4364 posts) -

The market is already saturated. Also selling the controller separately? Dafuq Amazon lol.

Makes me wish Amazon came out with a proper console instead of a s000ped up Ouya. Was really disappointed with the hyped up reveal of mysterious Amazonian hardware.

This /thread.

#31 Edited by Bread_or_Decide (17351 posts) -

It did not attempt to be innovative, so why should it succeed? If you're going to be a new player, you have to go in with a fresh idea. This isn't the iOS store, where knock offs are praised and downloaded. Welcome to the industry, Amazon.

I was pretty shocked considering amazon is normally ahead of the game.