So it's no longer about having fun?

• 137 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

I occasionally browse through system wars from time to time, and I'm curious to why all of a sudden people care more about processing power, frame rate, and screen resolution more than the games themselves and how fun they are. That would be like critiquing a movie based on its special effects, sound, and camera angles rather than plot and acting.

So does it matter that much that some games don't run at the highest optimal settings, or is it just another excuse for you guys to argue? Because I think picking a side in the gaming industry a bit childish when each piece of hardware has something to offer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

You aren't allowed to like things that I don't like.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Its system wars, they have to argue and compare something

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46201 Posts

@darkspineslayer said:

You aren't allowed to like things that I don't like.

Even better: when a review scores a game that I haven't played, and that score is not what I expected of it, than that isn't allowed either.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

@xdude85 said:

...why all of a sudden ...

I don't get that. In all the time I've been around Sw has Always been about fanboyish nitpicky fights, and I got here years after they started fighting.

Games are about fun, sure. This forum is about fighting, hence the name. Keeps the forum relatively active and interesting, but is not for everyone. Gamespot actually has a forum for a friendlier general Games Discussion and I recommend it to anyone who can't stomach the atmosphere here. You'll actually find a number of the same people in both forums too.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

They don't have anything fun to play so they just yap about resolution and sales. They think they're owning the discussions but the rest of us are enjoying these fun games while we laugh at them every time they post about resolution and sales.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Because that's what developers are selling on these days.

E3 2013 was all about 1080p 60fps like it was a new thing to these console players. I doubt any of them knew what "frame rate" and "1080p resolution" meant in context back in the 7th gen. They've all become pseudo-PC gamers.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

PS4 and Xflop libraries are almost identical so technical specs are the most objective way to compare them right now. Maybe in late 2015 there will be enough exclusives out to differentiate them in another way.

In other words what the Hell are we going to discuss when both system have the same games?

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

I remember people arguing over tech specs and graphics with genesis vs snes but it was more a local thing. The first online SW I remember was 99/2000 arguing specs of dreamcast vs ps2 then xbox and GameCube. People always argue over whatever they can.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

@xdude85 said:

I occasionally browse through system wars from time to time, and I'm curious to why all of a sudden people care more about processing power, frame rate, and screen resolution more than the games themselves and how fun they are.

Processing power, frame rate, and resolution are measurable factors before a video game is released. Fun is not a measurable factor.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

Actually it's all about fun. Owning Cows, Lems, Sheep is fun, you see. :D

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

that is why i game on pc

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 StrongBlackVine

@CrownKingArthur: You game on PC so you can brag on System Wars?

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@santoron said:

@xdude85 said:

I don't get that. In all the time I've been around Sw has Always been about fanboyish nitpicky fights, and I got here years after they started fighting.

Games are about fun, sure. This forum is about fighting, hence the name. Keeps the forum relatively active and interesting, but is not for everyone. Gamespot actually has a forum for a friendlier general Games Discussion and I recommend it to anyone who can't stomach the atmosphere here. You'll actually find a number of the same people in both forums too.

Pretty much this. Deal with it or find a forum that fits your needs.

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CrownKingArthur

@StrongBlackVine: nah so i don't have to worry about that stuff he's talking about.

and also to keep you company!

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

This is "System" "Wars" and you expect people to talk about how much they love a game? Ain't nobody got time for dat

Evo_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Evo_nine
Member since 2012 • 2224 Posts

@StrongBlackVine:

Really? When is halo, the greatest series of all time, coming to ps4?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

> all of a sudden

You sweet summer child

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8282 Posts

It never was and never will be~

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Well, when you have two similar priced hardware configurations, and one curb stomps the other one, people are going to talk about it.

If a movie was filmed on both a professional grade camera, versus a vertical video on someone's cell phone, World Star Hip Hop style, I'd imagine most people are going to go with the version that is of better quality.

I'm going to go out on s limb here and assume you own an Xbox One. It's okay, champ, we all make bad choices. Nobody could have predicted MS was going to do such a poor job with the Bone's specs.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@santoron said:

@xdude85 said:

Agreed and it's definitely not all of the sudden. What's sudden is that some users are just noticing and becoming aware finally.

j_assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 j_assassin
Member since 2012 • 1011 Posts

Better than arguing about how much money the company makes, which is stupid, its like "my console is crap but its ok cause the company that makes them is gazillionaire"

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@SolidTy said:

@santoron said:

@xdude85 said:

Agreed and it's definitely not all of the sudden. What's sudden is that some users are just noticing and becoming aware finally.

sw has always been like this, is just that last gen lems were "omg it runs at 2 fps better on xbox 360!!!!" and now this gen ps4 runs at increased resolution showing the huge difference in performance and lems are "is not about hardware is about games!!!"

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

I need to go see a man about a horse.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

I need to go see a man about a horse.

My grandpa always used to say that before heading off to the restroom.

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#30 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

I think its PC gamers that care the most about graphics. Having to justify blowing so much money on hardware and getting so little in return in is pretty sad. Then they look at E3 and see Uncharted 4 and The Order gameplay they cry lol

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52424 Posts

It never was, xdude85.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

Errmm I never understood this argument, does having a higher res, better frame rate etc. Make the game not fun to play anymore?

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#33  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@SolidTy said:

@santoron said:

@xdude85 said:

Totally agree. It's been like this since as far as I can remember. I started coming here & the IGN's "Teh Vestibule" back as early as 2003 (http://www.ign.com/boards/members/remiks00.936308/). System Wars was much, much, much popular & funnier than it is today. It's practically dead these days since the site change. "Teh Vestibule" has changed a lot as well. 2006 was a hilarious time here. I actually stopped coming here for years until mid 2013. It's great to see some familiar names from the past that still come here.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#34 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

I'm all about having fun. I'm a true gamer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@xdude85: Thsi topic is both original and new... and not total common sense.

you miss the point.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@xdude85 said:

I occasionally browse through system wars from time to time, and I'm curious to why all of a sudden people care more about processing power, frame rate, and screen resolution more than the games themselves and how fun they are. That would be like critiquing a movie based on its special effects, sound, and camera angles rather than plot and acting.

So does it matter that much that some games don't run at the highest optimal settings, or is it just another excuse for you guys to argue? Because I think picking a side in the gaming industry a bit childish when each piece of hardware has something to offer.

You can't compare fun which varies from person to person. You can compare hardware and graphics quality.

I mean I can talk for hours about the weather customization in Flight Simulator X because I find it fun applying some of my work skills in a game. But, half the people here won't even know what I'm talking about. That or they'd be bored to death.

Hardware and graphics are somewhat more limited in scope and can be compared directly.

Dragerdeifrit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37  Edited By Dragerdeifrit
Member since 2010 • 769 Posts

i remember when system wars was about fighting over halo/gears of war and resistance/uncharted, and which one had better gameplay or features, now nobody give a s$it if a game is good or not, now its only about insecure and butthurt PC users that paid 2000+ for a little bit more of antialiasing and res, and stupid rabid console fanboys arguing about.. that same shit. oh yeah and hating on EA which its actually fun imo.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

Cows are just this generations Lems. It all works in cycles. Some Cows are laying the resolution thing on real heavy though. At least things are a little calmer now that the consoles are out.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I've been b!tching about this for sooo looooooooong..... Gaming for reason's other than fun has been an pervasive issue for quite some time now.....

www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/28/playing-games-for-all-the-wrong-reasons

And it goes even deeper than that......

critical-gaming.com/blog/2011/10/24/the-zero-sum-funomaly-pt1.html

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By StrongBlackVine

@Evo_nine: Halo is far down the list of best-selling games, agood 20 million below Gran Turismo and joke compared to Grand Theft Auto, Mario, Call Of Duty etc.

Basically Halo is shit and PlayStation has been outselling Xflop consoles since the first Halo and it will continue to do so. One IP can't carry a console. Especially when the developers that made it great have moved on. I'll be playing the best version of the natural evolution of Halo on September 7, 2014.

You have been owned.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

OP has missed out on the Business Wars. That's more fun than gaming for some people on here, too.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@xdude85 said:

This forum is called System Wars not Gameplay Appreciation

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12060 Posts

To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Lance2500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Lance2500
Member since 2009 • 680 Posts

System Wars was never about fun.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#45 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

The problem is that people on SW simply don't give a **** about other people's opinions. Hence, SW sticks to factual numbers like frame rate, resolution, sales etc. It's one of the main reasons why SW has become so stale.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Shewgenja

LOL, System Wars has become stale because of a lot of things.

1. The forum redesign chased people off.

2. XBox is pretty much a sinking ship

3. Nintendo is taking on water ala N64 gen

4. ALL of the arguments that System Wars revolved around for the greater part of a decade serve one system exclusively now.

5. Publishers were afraid of Gen8 going to the Android and iPad, so games have been trickling in ala PS3 launch for BOTH systems, hence there's little to talk about.

6. It is painfully obvious which way the "war" is going to go.

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 CrownKingArthur

you both make good points

i think e3 will breathe new life into it. i hope we have a chat like last year. that was hilarious.

Avatar image for littlestreakier
littlestreakier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 littlestreakier
Member since 2004 • 2950 Posts

I'm not loyal to any console but I frequent SW because I feel like gaming news in general is always brought up here. So it keeps me updated on what's going on in the gaming world.

But yea, I agree, this forum isn't for people getting along. It's about bragging rights for people. I also feel like the newer generation of gaming in general value specs over fun factor more than the older generation of gaming.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Shewgenja

@littlestreakier said:

I'm not loyal to any console but I frequent SW because I feel like gaming news in general is always brought up here. So it keeps me updated on what's going on in the gaming world.

But yea, I agree, this forum isn't for people getting along. It's about bragging rights for people. I also feel like the newer generation of gaming in general value specs over fun factor more than the older generation of gaming.

It will get better. Once people stop thinking like all the rules were written last gen, people will stop giving a **** so much about sales/corporate wars and start talking about what really counts, games. The publishers just didn't help since they were not willing to drop millions into next-gen games. Ironically, we have a system selling more than the PS2 and the Wii but the only steady game releases are coming from indies.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#50 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

IDK it's quite annoying and stupid.

I used to come here for entertainment but ever since this forum has become 95% "ZOMG 1080p, ZOMG 42FPS, ZOMG extra partical"

Now pretty much only come here if I am bored...