So I just tried Need for Speed Hot Pursuit.

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

And I can't remember the last time I was so quickly, and thoroughly, disgusted with a game. I mean, what in the absolute fvck is going on with this game? Zero car customization. Zero car buying, even. Terrible, floaty controls. No option for manual shift, no penalty for crashing, and rolling starts for all races = no skill of any kind. Hold down the gas with one hand, and light a blunt with the other. I mean. seriously? Rolling starts, and NO FVCKING MANUAL SHIFT??? AND THIS IS A RACING GAME??? I get that it's Criterion now, and they're basically just making Burnout games with a different name, but this is a bad Burnout game. Looks about as pretty as expected, and that's literally the only thing that even begins to be good.

Very glad that it's just one of the games I pretty much stole from Origin last weekend. If i had actually spent money on it, it would be the first and only time I've ever taken a game back to the store, and raised hell about wanting my money back.

Now, I'm curious. I haven't actually played any racing games in several years, and I'm wondering if the standards are just that low, now? Because, from all I can gather, NFS:HP is one of the more popular and critically acclaimed racers these days. Are all the modern racing games this kind of, "cheap and lazy, even for arcade standards" racers? How are the other NFS games? Last one I played was Most Wanted (the one from 2005, obviously), and I loved that game, aside from the so bad they weren't even funny cinematics. The car customization, race mode diversity, and option to cruise the city, open world style, and get into police chases, was all sweet. Anything else like that these days?

#2 Posted by Cheleman (7676 posts) -

NFS turn garbage after Underground, so... yeah.

#3 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

Cheleman

Is that what happened? I played the sh!t out of Underground on PS2, back in the day. I was a lot more into racers back then, and also played the sh!t out of Gran Turismo 3 and 4, and a couple of the Burnout games. Also, like I said, I really loved Most Wanted, because it was basically underground 2, with the cops from Hot Pursuit, and it was sweet. That's why I was moderately stoked about the new Most Wanted reboot coming up. But, after seeing what Criterion did with Hot Pursuit, my hype for Most Wanted went from like "pretty damn interested" to "completely off the radar. gonna stop acknowledging its existence".

#4 Posted by BPoole96 (22800 posts) -
I wasn't a fan of the game either
#5 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

Back when NFS was still cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdP0kRvtwAw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Huu3ZM9dPqo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw8p7HXPo6w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgecLAwSTaU

All it has now are graphics but the unique tracks and good driving model are gone.

#6 Posted by mems_1224 (47138 posts) -
i liked it. i got it cheap during a steam sale.
#7 Posted by Meeeper282 (1602 posts) -

What the hell is wrong with you, need for speed hot pursuit was/is the best racing game this gen

#8 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

What the hell is wrong with you, need for speed hot pursuit was/is the best racing game this gen

Meeeper282

I prefer my racing games to require at least some kind of reflexes/skill. Rolling starts and no manual shift = as easy and brainless as racing can possibly be. Also, the steering is floaty as hell, and feels like absolute sh!t compared to... literally every racing game I can remember playing. Already uninstalled it.

#9 Posted by kingjazziephiz (2427 posts) -

All it has now are graphics but the unique tracks and good driving model are gone.

nameless12345
they need to make a new porsche unleashed. i'd buy that day one.
#10 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

kingjazziephiz

I'd buy it too if it was as good (or better)...

#11 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

kingjazziephiz

They just need to make another game with a non-arcade style driving model, and car customization on par with the Underground games. Also, they need to give me some GOD DAMN REAL RACE STARTS, AND MANUAL SHIFT!! It seriously boggles my mind that a racing game can exist without manual shift. Am I just missing something? Is there some kind of hidden manual shift option I didn't find? If I were a professional reviewer, writing a review of this game for a website or something, my review would go like this:

No manual shift. Not a racing game. 0/10. Get your sh!t together, Criterion.

#12 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

Shamefully, I must admit I actually enjoyed the game :P

While there was no real challenge, it was at least a relaxing and fun experience, with some great looking enviroments...

#13 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

nameless12345

I like these two, while the visuals are dated from a technical standpoint, they still look very eye-pleasing, especially in the "Atlantica" video. And the gameplay looks nice and fairly responsive...

#14 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

While there was no real challenge, it was at least a relaxing and fun experience, with some great looking enviroments...

Rocker6

I'll give it that. It looks good. And I may reinstall it some time, if I really just want to sit back and do some driving. I was just so totally appalled by the complete lack of manual shift, and how it seems that every single race is rolling starts, and even if you totally wipe out, it just starts you back up again, going 100 mph, in the same place you were in before the crash. I mean... jesus. How can you even call it a racing game without manual shift?

#15 Posted by GhettoBlastin92 (1147 posts) -
It was alright, but you could def tell it was more burnout inspired, which was not a terrible thing. It was the best NFS game since Most wanted.
#16 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7412 posts) -

It was alright, but you could def tell it was more burnout inspired, which was not a terrible thing. It was the best NFS game since Most wanted.GhettoBlastin92

Played Carbon first, played identical, but had more variety and slightly better imo. That was the last game sold like hotcakes I think.

256px-NFSHP2_PC.jpg

^Something with skillz involved, but no customization so Criterion got that down right. I stopped half way with both games one of them being rather difficult and the other being that I was bored to death by its mediocrity. I'm glad someone called out the latest HP since I had high hopes only to be served up with a watered down nfs+burnout concoction.

#17 Posted by lamprey263 (23911 posts) -
I haven't bothered with a NFS game since the last Most Wanted, which I enjoyed, and I'm actually looking forward to the next NFSMW
#18 Posted by NeonNinja (17318 posts) -

[QUOTE="Meeeper282"]

the_bi99man

I prefer my racing games to require at least some kind of reflexes/skill. Rolling starts and no manual shift = as easy and brainless as racing can possibly be. Also, the steering is floaty as hell, and feels like absolute sh!t compared to... literally every racing game I can remember playing. Already uninstalled it.

It's f*cking Need for Speed, genius!

#19 Posted by heretrix (37379 posts) -

Love Criterion as a dev, hated Hot Pursuit. But I got it for around 3 bucks a few months ago so I really can't complain.

#20 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16418 posts) -

You guys are damn crazy. Hot Pursuit was fricken awesome. At least the multiplayer was, the singleplayer...not so much.

#21 Posted by NeonNinja (17318 posts) -

Love Criterion as a dev, hated Hot Pursuit. But I got it for around 3 bucks a few months ago so I really can't complain.

heretrix

It looks like they're focusing more on NFS over Burnout though. I'd be interested in seeing them do another genre again, like they did with Black.

#22 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="Meeeper282"]

NeonNinja

Hahaha. I know. I wasn't expecting some kind of deep racing sim or something. But seriously, it can't even be called a racing game if you don't even have the option of manual shift. That's just terrible game design, no matter who you are. And rolling starts suck ass, because the beginning of a race is one of the most important parts (if you have manual shift, so you have to have timing to not fvck up your launch).

Plus, that's the first and only time I've ever seen Need for Speed that watered down. Although, again, the last one I played was Most Wanted.

#23 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16418 posts) -

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

the_bi99man

Hahaha. I know. I wasn't expecting some kind of deep racing sim or something. But seriously, it can't even be called a racing game if you don't even have the option of manual shift. That's just terrible game design, no matter who you are. And rolling starts suck ass, because the beginning of a race is one of the most important parts (if you have manual shift, so you have to have timing to not fvck up your launch).

I don't see how not having those two things makes it poor design. It looks like you came into this game expecting a completely different type of game. Why does the racing genre have to be limited to having trivial things like manual shift and race starts? Especially when those kinds of things don't even make sense for a game that is about car battling and police chases...

#24 Posted by Rockman999 (7232 posts) -

Lol dude it's an arcade racer, why are you getting salty over it not playing like a sim?

#25 Posted by CDUB316 (6589 posts) -

[QUOTE="Meeeper282"]

the_bi99man

sounds like you want a racing sim like a Forza (not horizon) or GT5

this kind of racing game is not meant for what you want out of a racing game it seems...it's just supposed to be bat **** crazy and it excels at that

#26 Posted by mrmusicman247 (17577 posts) -
buy the new one you'll be satisfied
#27 Posted by AcidSoldner (7051 posts) -
Not sure what the hell you where expecting but its a racing/driving game that's focused on high speed police chases more so that straight up racing. Still the best arcade racer this gen.
#28 Posted by DraugenCP (8476 posts) -

It took the series back to what it started out as: a pure arcade racer with exotic cars and locations. So if you expected that 'yo dawg' Underground Fast&Furious rip-off crap, I can understand why you were disappointed.

#29 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -
It wasn't realistic, but it was a ton of fun. If you'd like manual shifting, EA and Slightly Mad made a Need for Speed game for you... oh, what was it called again....
#30 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42883 posts) -
It's an arcade driving game; it doesn't aim for realism...
#31 Posted by FrozenLiquid (12808 posts) -
I only ever drive manual in real life, but that criticism is pretty lame. Hot Pursuit is like the Outrun series, except without the hot girlfriend riding shotgun. It's about driving dangerously fast through every road permutation available, while policed up Bugatti Veyron chases you for the next five miles. It's not suppose to be realistic. It's suppose to be very, very unrealistic.
#32 Posted by EPaul (9906 posts) -

Well i enjoyed the hell out of the game

#33 Posted by blaze_adeel (932 posts) -

rolling starts for all races = no skill of any kind.

the_bi99man
wut??
#34 Posted by rockydog1111 (2076 posts) -

Underground for the PS2 was the last one I played, but I may one of the new ones someday, if it looks interesting.

#35 Posted by Z-Fatalis (1122 posts) -

Most wanted was the last good Need for Speed game the NFS name now sells games not its quality

NFS the run is still the worst racing game I've ever played, I traded it in withing the first 2 hours of buying it.

#36 Posted by dxmcat (1142 posts) -

I def agree with TC. The original hot pursuit (NFS3) was decent, but this newer one felt identical to burnout. Glad I have my PC so I can still play the original "Road & Track ; The Need for Speed" :)

#37 Posted by AsadMahdi59 (6551 posts) -

I really like it. I think it's up there with the original Most Wanted and HP2, but it feels more like a Burnout title for sure.

However I do wish a non Criterion dev would make something closer to old school NFS and Criterion would make a more old school Burnout. However I'm doubtful this will be happening anytime soon. Maybe Rockstar will answer my prayers with a new Midnight Club, but that doesn't seem likely either.

#38 Posted by JasonDarksavior (9325 posts) -

[QUOTE="GhettoBlastin92"]It was alright, but you could def tell it was more burnout inspired, which was not a terrible thing. It was the best NFS game since Most wanted.Bikouchu35

Played Carbon first, played identical, but had more variety and slightly better imo. That was the last game sold like hotcakes I think.

256px-NFSHP2_PC.jpg

^Something with skillz involved, but no customization so Criterion got that down right. I stopped half way with both games one of them being rather difficult and the other being that I was bored to death by its mediocrity. I'm glad someone called out the latest HP since I had high hopes only to be served up with a watered down nfs+burnout concoction.

I remember the day I got this, was so happy. Good memories with Hot Pursuit 2
#39 Posted by clyde46 (46289 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

the_bi99man

I'll give it that. It looks good. And I may reinstall it some time, if I really just want to sit back and do some driving. I was just so totally appalled by the complete lack of manual shift, and how it seems that every single race is rolling starts, and even if you totally wipe out, it just starts you back up again, going 100 mph, in the same place you were in before the crash. I mean... jesus. How can you even call it a racing game without manual shift?

Forza now has rolling starts. Means I cant chose my launch revs.
#40 Posted by TomGriffiths93 (70 posts) -
I don't think NFS has been good since Most Wanted (The original) personally.
#41 Posted by Midnightshade29 (5311 posts) -

And I can't remember the last time I was so quickly, and thoroughly, disgusted with a game. I mean, what in the absolute fvck is going on with this game? Zero car customization. Zero car buying, even. Terrible, floaty controls. No option for manual shift, no penalty for crashing, and rolling starts for all races = no skill of any kind. Hold down the gas with one hand, and light a blunt with the other. I mean. seriously? Rolling starts, and NO FVCKING MANUAL SHIFT??? AND THIS IS A RACING GAME??? I get that it's Criterion now, and they're basically just making Burnout games with a different name, but this is a bad Burnout game. Looks about as pretty as expected, and that's literally the only thing that even begins to be good.

Very glad that it's just one of the games I pretty much stole from Origin last weekend. If i had actually spent money on it, it would be the first and only time I've ever taken a game back to the store, and raised hell about wanting my money back.

Now, I'm curious. I haven't actually played any racing games in several years, and I'm wondering if the standards are just that low, now? Because, from all I can gather, NFS:HP is one of the more popular and critically acclaimed racers these days. Are all the modern racing games this kind of, "cheap and lazy, even for arcade standards" racers? How are the other NFS games? Last one I played was Most Wanted (the one from 2005, obviously), and I loved that game, aside from the so bad they weren't even funny cinematics. The car customization, race mode diversity, and option to cruise the city, open world style, and get into police chases, was all sweet. Anything else like that these days?

the_bi99man
yeah i got it from origin too... and it sucks compared to criterion's burnout games. Burnout Paradise was awesome and so was legends on psp..but this game doesn't have anything burnout did besides graphics... If yout want to play racing games, for this gen, play Burnout paradise(for arcade) or GT5 (for sim), both are cheap to get now.. For PC... well I don't know, last one I liked on pc was test drive unlimited, but heard test drive 2 sucked..
#42 Posted by ShadowDeathX (10657 posts) -

I don't think NFS has been good since Most Wanted (The original) personally.TomGriffiths93

This^. Most Wanted 2005 was the last good NFS game.

The new Most Wanted doesn't look like it will change that. The newer games are just way too arcadey. It is just too much arcade style that it makes it uber easy to play.

#43 Posted by Liquid_ (2686 posts) -

Cheleman
You probably didn't play Most Wanted. Easily better than Underground
#45 Posted by NirdBerd (2116 posts) -

It's an arcade racer, GENIUS.

#46 Posted by mariokart64fan (19495 posts) -

i guess you played the 360 ps3 versions lol they gave them the garbage gutter ,

seriously, wheres my quick race mode where i can pick what track laps etc etc ya thats only available in the wii version! bad ea

#47 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

To everyone saying, "it's an arcade racer". I'm fully aware of that. My point is that, no matter what kind of racer it is, it should have manual shift. I've literally never seen a racing game that didn't have manual shift. It's a fundamental part of driving, and adds at least a little bit of skill to a game that otherwise requires nothing but one finger to hold down the gas for 5 minutes. I don't give a sh!t what kind of "racer" your trying to make. If it involves cars, and doesn't have manual shift, it's terrible game design, it's lazy, it's dumbed down beyond dumbed down, and it's not fun. And I don't care if you don't use manual shift. Manual shift is supposed to standard, and the OPTION of using automatic is there, to throw a bone to the casual players. Only automatic, no option for manual shift = pathetic excuse for a racing game, that never should have been allowed to release.

#48 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

seriously, wheres my quick race mode where i can pick what track laps etc etc ya thats only available in the wii version! bad ea

mariokart64fan

no, I played the PC version. And it doesn't matter anyway, unless one of the other versions has manual shift.

#49 Posted by clyde46 (46289 posts) -

[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]

the_bi99man

no, I played the PC version. And it doesn't matter anyway, unless one of the other versions has manual shift.

I love the way the PC version looks, but the lack of a launch option is annoying.
#50 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -

To everyone saying, "it's an arcade racer". I'm fully aware of that. My point is that, no matter what kind of racer it is, it should have manual shift. I've literally never seen a racing game that didn't have manual shift. It's a fundamental part of driving, and adds at least a little bit of skill to a game that otherwise requires nothing but one finger to hold down the gas for 5 minutes. I don't give a sh!t what kind of "racer" your trying to make. If it involves cars, and doesn't have manual shift, it's terrible game design, it's lazy, it's dumbed down beyond dumbed down, and it's not fun. And I don't care if you don't use manual shift. Manual shift is supposed to standard, and the OPTION of using automatic is there, to throw a bone to the casual players. Only automatic, no option for manual shift = pathetic excuse for a racing game, that never should have been allowed to release.

the_bi99man
I do use manual shift, in simulators. This isn't one. There was a NfS-branded Sim that allowed you to shift, but I'm still trying to remember the name....