So FF IX (9). . .

• 112 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Young_Charter (19845 posts) -

Out of the PS1-PS3 gen the only Final Fantasy I have not beaten was 9. (the XIII series does not count. Screw that) but after hearing so many game spotters and IGN bring it back up, I felt that this Final Fantasy out of many stood out and I made a terrible mistake not finishing it. Out of many titles on the PS3, PS1, and PS4 I decided to go back to this one and finish it once and for all. For some reason, when it came to 7, 8, and 9 I always stopped playing when I got to Disc 3. Weird, but this time I plan on really faithfully finishing this game before I go to any other backlogs. After 9, I will finish Xenogears.

#2 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (3014 posts) -

Good game. Better than the recent trash they've released.

#3 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8712 posts) -

Been replaying that myself.

#4 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6537 posts) -

It's got the second worst battle system out of every FF but it's got a good story so have fun with that

#5 Posted by Young_Charter (19845 posts) -

Been replaying that myself.

I remember being in the same topic with you about it. How far are you ?

#6 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13427 posts) -

I've never even played 9.

#7 Posted by Sweenix (5398 posts) -

Why have you not played the best final fantasy game to date?

Fun fact: Final Fantasy IX is the highest rated final fantasy game on metacritic ;)

#8 Posted by Zaraxius (205 posts) -

It's got the second worst battle system out of every FF but it's got a good story so have fun with that

That's discouraging to hear, considering the first couple of Final Fantasy games' battle systems are incredibly basic.

#9 Edited by Young_Charter (19845 posts) -

@Sweenix said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Fun fact: Final Fantasy IX is the highest rated final fantasy game on metacritic ;)

Very interesting.

#10 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6537 posts) -

@zaraxius: Well, it's not bad. Its similar to 7 and 8. It's just slow. Really slow. And you can't pick when you limit break.

#11 Edited by WitIsWisdom (3688 posts) -

@zaraxius said:

@Capitan_Kid said:

That's discouraging to hear, considering the first couple of Final Fantasy games' battle systems are incredibly basic.

I strongly disagree with it having the 2nd worst battle system... compared to which titles? All of them? Are you saying the ones after X had a better battle system? FFIX is an amazing game and great RPG. The battle system feels right on key.

I personally rank FFIX as one of the best RPG's of all time. Up there with other favorites of mine like the Breath of Fire franchise (1-3) and Dragon Quest games ((especially 8] [early dragon warrior titles as well)).

#12 Posted by Young_Charter (19845 posts) -

@zaraxius: Well, it's not bad. Its similar to 7 and 8. It's just slow. Really slow. And you can't pick when you limit break.

That was quite bothersome.

#13 Edited by blamix99 (1681 posts) -

i play VIII and IX like once every 2 years, i don't like VII much.. can't wait to get X for my Vita

#14 Posted by Zassimick (6343 posts) -

Playing it through for the first time myself. It's very charming and a lot of fun; can't wait to see where the story goes.

The great thing is, something that's lacking in Final Fantasy XII (keeping it from being my favorite game of all time) and Final Fantasy XIII is abundant in Final Fantasy IX: strong, human characters which the story focuses on. The main cast of four is so wonderful and they are what makes this story great.

#15 Posted by lundy86_4 (43009 posts) -

Really good game. Bought it again on teh Vita a few weeks ago, but haven't gotten round to playing it yet.

#16 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8712 posts) -
#17 Posted by Pray_to_me (2834 posts) -

I quit 1/3rd through. Thought is was pretty boring compared to 4,6 and 7.

#18 Posted by Young_Charter (19845 posts) -
#19 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2417 posts) -

Good game. Better than the recent trash they've released.

#20 Posted by Seabas989 (10110 posts) -

Probably the best and most addicting mini games in the entire franchise.

#21 Posted by Young_Charter (19845 posts) -

Probably the best and most addicting mini games in the entire franchise.

Lool just finished that part an hour ago. I played it 4 times before I moved on

#22 Posted by remiks00 (1709 posts) -

I would give 9 a 9. :P

#23 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (13427 posts) -

@Sweenix said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

At the time of release I guess the art style was a major detractor for me, such things don't bother me anymore but I really enjoyed the visuals of 7 and 8 and 9 was quite a departure in style.

Yeah I'll def check it out.

#24 Edited by Gaming-Planet (13998 posts) -

I still need to finish it too, sadly. Might as start from the beginning. I was on the 3rd disc too.

#25 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4795 posts) -

Yeah, IX is most definitely worth a play. The terribly slow battle system makes it kind of a drag, but if you can look past that it's a great jrpg.

#26 Edited by DefconRave (551 posts) -

Yeah, IX is most definitely worth a play. The terribly slow battle system makes it kind of a drag, but if you can look past that it's a great jrpg.

iirc you can speed up the atb fill up rate in the settings. I always speed up the atb rate when I play FF.

#27 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4795 posts) -

@ConanTheStoner said:

iirc you can speed up the atb fill up rate in the settings. I always speed up the atb rate when I play FF.

Yeah, you can increase battle speed just like most FF games, but it's still ridiculously slow. The load times don't help either.

#28 Edited by Consternated (492 posts) -

@DefconRave said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

Yeah, you can increase battle speed just like most FF games, but it's still ridiculously slow. The load times don't help either.

True, true.

FF9 pushed the PS1 a little too far, in my opinion...

#29 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4795 posts) -

@ConanTheStoner said:

@DefconRave said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

True, true.

FF9 pushed the PS1 a little too far, in my opinion...

Yep, it was right at the end of the cycle. SE was already deep in FFX development when IX released from what I remember.

IX was very sluggish, but definitely a great way to cap off the PS1.

#30 Posted by aroxx_ab (9276 posts) -

Do it, Final fantasy 9 and 12 is the best ones.

#31 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4795 posts) -

@aroxx_ab said:

Always good to see love for 12. I wouldn't rank it that high, but I'd put it in my top 5. It's definitely the closest thing we've seen to a "next gen" FF game in terms of combat, content and scale.

#32 Edited by Gue1 (9500 posts) -

FFIX it's for scrubs, even a baby could beat it blindfolded and using only one foot to control it. So, you'll most likely gonna beat it but Xenogears? Lol, no. Once you get to the second disc you'll ask yourself why are you even playing this game. XD

I recommend you play Parasite Eve instead since it's short but really good.

#33 Edited by Young_Charter (19845 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

FFIX it's for scrubs, even a baby could beat it blindfolded and using only one foot to control it. So, you'll most likely gonna beat it but Xenogears? Lol, no. Once you get to the second disc you'll ask yourself why are you even playing this game. XD

I own all three lol. I am almost finish disc 1 now. Btw this is day 1 lol

#34 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4795 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

I never played jrpgs for the challenge really. And I can't say I felt like a scrub while enjoying the characters, world, music, story, exploration, etc.. in FFIX

Sorry, but you sound like some kid that grew up on CoD TDMs trying to describe FFIX. And I know that's not true which makes it all the more strange.

#35 Posted by Alucard_Prime (2743 posts) -

Ff9 is great, if you liked the other Final Fantasies, I don't see why you wouldn't like 9.

#36 Posted by Gue1 (9500 posts) -

@zaraxius said:

@Capitan_Kid said:

the battle system of FFIX has no customization at all unlike the Materia or Junction System. And the enemies don't pose a challenge either like in FFVI. Most (if not all) the areas in the game are very small and all the loot and important items are always in front of your face and even an exclamation mark appears when you're close to them.

If there's a game that defines casual gaming then that game's FFIX. This is the RPG you recommend to people that have never played one. XD

#37 Posted by Young_Charter (19845 posts) -
@Gue1 said:

@zaraxius said:

@Capitan_Kid said:

the battle system of FFIX has no customization at all unlike the Materia or Junction System. And the enemies don't pose a challenge either like in FFVI. Most (if not all) the areas in the game are very small and all the loot and important items are always in front of your face and even an exclamation mark appears when you're close to them.

If there's a game that defines casual gaming then that game's FFIX. This is the RPG you recommend to people that have never played one. XD

Idk man. I mean I understand your dislikes towards the game, but FFIX actually delivered in many ways. It doesn't have a junction system but the abilities and skills are nice. But I will admit that Quina is one of the over powered characters out of them all.

#38 Edited by Young_Charter (19845 posts) -

I was so close to finishing Disc 1 last night. But decided to stop. I just got Quina into the party and I want to max out his (sometimes I think he is a her) High Tide ability which requires 250 AP.

#39 Edited by ni6htmare01 (917 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

I played all 3. I thought that Xenogears was awesome until Disc 2. Yeah I had fun with the 1st Parasite Eve but FFIX was a great game but the bosses were way too easy with Max HP of 50K!

#40 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24907 posts) -

Why is this game suddenly getting the attention?

I've always known it to be an amazing game, but never really seen such a huge presence of the game till now.

When people mention Final Fantasy, Cloud is usually there.

#41 Posted by yokofox33 (29367 posts) -

I just started playing it myself for the first time. Haven't gotten very far at all, and I've only gotten into like 2-3 battles. Has a pretty slow start from what I can tell.

#42 Edited by finalfantasy94 (26353 posts) -

well I remember liking it though some characters like garnet were forgettable to me.

#43 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38214 posts) -

Best FF game there is. Battle system is really slow by today's standards but still my favourite.

Plus you get Vivi, who is one of the best game characters ever

#44 Edited by GreySeal9 (24068 posts) -
@Gue1 said:

@zaraxius said:

@Capitan_Kid said:

You love FF7 and that game is even easier. Enemies pose no threat (and I'd argue they don't in FF6 either until the Floating Continent) and limit breaks are ridiculously overpowered.

Also, the ability system (learning abilities and support abilities from weapons, armor, accessories) is clearly a form of customization.

Lastly, all PS1 FF games have small areas.

Once again you have no idea what you're talking about.

#45 Posted by GreySeal9 (24068 posts) -
@Gue1 said:

@zaraxius said:

@Capitan_Kid said:

It doesn't have a junction system

^Most people would agree that its lack of a junction system is a good thing.

#46 Edited by Young_Charter (19845 posts) -

@Young_Charter said:
@Gue1 said:

@zaraxius said:

@Capitan_Kid said:

FFVIII's junction system was a bit complex.

#47 Edited by glez13 (8675 posts) -

@Young_Charter said:

@GreySeal9 said:
@Young_Charter said:
@Gue1 said:

@zaraxius said:

@Capitan_Kid said:

At first glance. It was also highly exploitable. The same with some GF abilities mixed with the card game. Although I'm sure that most whiners about this used a guide since it's very hard to figure it all out in a single playtrough.

#48 Posted by Consternated (492 posts) -

I've just finished a replay of IX... That final scene is one fuck of a tearjerker.

I've always given VI a slight edge over IX, but I really don't know.

#49 Posted by Young_Charter (19845 posts) -

@glez13 said:

@Young_Charter said:

@GreySeal9 said:
@Young_Charter said:
@Gue1 said:

@zaraxius said:

@Capitan_Kid said:

At first glance. It was also highly exploitable. The same with some GF abilities mixed with the card game. Although I'm sure that most whiners about this used a guide since it's very hard to figure it all out in a single playtrough.

It was still fun though. I enjoyed the final boss.

#50 Posted by jwsoul (5297 posts) -

@aroxx_ab said:

Always good to see love for 12. I wouldn't rank it that high, but I'd put it in my top 5. It's definitely the closest thing we've seen to a "next gen" FF game in terms of combat, content and scale.

To be honest i would rank 12 High higher than 9. 9 is by far my least favorite of the 3D Final Fantasy games.