nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41571 Posts

If there was a thread, I missed it pages back. But EVO started registration it's line up for this year, all of them (if not a good chunk of them) carryovers from the cancelled 2020 gig (due to Mr. Cuellar being a creepazoid).

Though not all in that gig made the cut either. In fact, all of these are, as you'd expect from a show now owned by PlayStation, all fighters on the PlayStation consoles (though Tekken 7 uses the PC version only).

Even the side Tourneys too (Granblue Fantasy, Under Night In Birth, Them's Fighting Herds*, SoulCalibur VI, Skullgirls, Gundam Extreme Vs Maxiboost On, DBFZ, Blazblue Cross Tag Battle) are mostly PS4 versions of multiplats. Keyword: mostly as Fighting Herds is only on PC as far as I know...

Opinion time:

You know and maybe put a tin-foil hat on me and call me Alex or Jimmy, even if online wasn't an issue for Smash Bros. (and it is), Sony's ownership of the Tourney seems to be. Because why would Nintendo WANT PlayStation sponsoring their IP? Because of course they wouldn't, and you can't blame them for that (hell, I don't think even the Smash fandom wants that either). Hell, another notable omission from the canned 2020 gig is another rival first party title: Killer Instinct 2013 (owned by Microsoft).

If I were Nintendo, I'd get their heads out of their asses and get in touch with the competitive scene (bring back NWC maybe?). Hell, Microsoft could host one now and given the Smash Ultimate roster (Banjo and Kazooie, Steve from Minecraft, and even a Vault Boy suit for Mii's), I don't think Nintendo has a problem with an XBOX sponsorship, all the while MS could not only bring fighters (like KI and multiplats like Tekken, MK, SC, or DBFZ, hell even Power Rangers is shaping up to be suited for that scene), but shooters (Halo, Doom 2016, Doom Eternal, Classic Quake, Perfect Dark classic).

What say you?

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#2 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15984 Posts

Nothing changed. Even before PlayStation bought EVO the organizer already use PS4 as the main console for all its fighting game roster bar Smash Bros. and specials for years.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59262 Posts

May watch Guilty Gear. Although still not big on the game. Anime fighters feel like watching two kids smash action figures together, visually, Arc games can be very overbearing at times.

Was playing Last Blade 2 a week or two back and kinds of reminded me of the beauty of simplicity.

Surprised, MK11 is there. They could have just bought a couple of dove white deluxe paint buckets and splashed them against the wall for the audience to enjoy.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

Killer Instinct was no SF5 why did people go xbox 1?

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7714 Posts

Nintendo doesn't want anything to do with the competitive smash scene and with the shit fest of the past years? Can't blame 'em.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 uninspiredcup

The game where they grossly misinterpret the title.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

2 PC/PS exclusives. Looks like a great lineup.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7229 Posts

Sony is killing E3 with its lack of innovation. All the fighting games are the same old fighting games.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@mesome713: Sony wasn't at E3. The gaming industry is killing or has already killed E3.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@mesome713 said:

Sony is killing E3 with its lack of innovation. All the fighting games are the same old fighting games.

You mean E3 is dead without Sony. All time low viewership numbers and no big announcements without them.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44448 Posts

Looking forward to seeing some Guilty Gear Strive action this year.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

same old same old...

it will be something cool to watch that day i guess.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Mesome713

@Telekill: O my bad, I meant they are killing EVO.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1470 Posts

Smash Bros. had the most viewers on EVO a few years ago, so it doesn't look good to lose it. However, Nintendo had already withdrawn Smash Bros. from major eSports competitions, including EVO, as of last year, so I'm not blaming Sony for not having it at this year's EVO.

Apart from that, I think they have a solid lineup of main and side tournaments, and I'm especially looking forward to Guilty Gear Strive.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7343 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

May watch Guilty Gear. Although still not big on the game. Anime fighters feel like watching two kids smash action figures together, visually, Arc games can be very overbearing at times.

Was playing Last Blade 2 a week or two back and kinds of reminded me of the beauty of simplicity.

Surprised, MK11 is there. They could have just bought a couple of dove white deluxe paint buckets and splashed them against the wall for the audience to enjoy.

Last Blade 2 is still my favorite 2D fighting game, even all these years later.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39691 Posts

Nintendo got new servers, right? Have they fixed the unplayble lag in Smash?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 uninspiredcup

@judaspete: Yes. Get the impression Samurai Shodown flopped, which sucks ass.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 judaspete

@uninspiredcup: Man, really? Have any of their recent games done well? I've heard KoF 14 wasn't a big hit either, and can't imagine Heroines sold that great.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34731 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Don't know, and no.

Nintendo might get working online in 2025 or so.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

No VF5:US?!?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hardwenzen  Online

@Litchie said:
@hardwenzen said:

Don't know, and no.

It was confirmed last year that they got new servers. What is the point of upgrading servers when nothing changes? Doesn't make sense to me, especially since they know damn well how messy Smash online is.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Litchie

@hardwenzen said:
@Litchie said:
@hardwenzen said:

Don't know, and no.

It was confirmed last year that they got new servers. What is the point of upgrading servers when nothing changes? Doesn't make sense to me, especially since they know damn well how messy Smash online is.

Well, it's not like Smash sells bad.

Why fix something that sells well? Why make games when you can not, and sell old games as new? The new Nintendo motto.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hardwenzen  Online

@Litchie said:
@hardwenzen said:
@Litchie said:
@hardwenzen said:

Don't know, and no.

Why fix something that sells well? Why make games when you can not, and sell old games as new? The new Nintendo motto.

Oh yes, i know that motto. But, i wonder if they cared about Smash being kicked out of EVO. Probably don't give a damn, tho.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Litchie

@hardwenzen said:
@Litchie said:
@hardwenzen said:
@Litchie said:
@hardwenzen said:

Don't know, and no.

Oh yes, i know that motto. But, i wonder if they cared about Smash being kicked out of EVO. Probably don't give a damn, tho.

Doesn't seem like it. I can imagine Nintendo even preferring Smash not being at EVO after their pedophile fans were outed.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hardwenzen  Online

@Litchie said:
@hardwenzen said:
@Litchie said:
@hardwenzen said:
@Litchie said:

Don't know, and no.

Doesn't seem like it. I can imagine Nintendo even preferring Smash not being at EVO after their pedophile fans were outed.

lol oof

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 VFighter

@Litchie: Pedophile fans...? What's the story behind this, never heard about this one.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Litchie

@vfighter: Iunno. Something about some Smash players being creeps. Probably easy to google.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 nintendoboy16

@Litchie said:

@vfighter: Iunno. Something about some Smash players being creeps. Probably easy to google.

And even more depressing is that news comes out when similar allegations hit Joey Cuellar, who owned EVO until Sony bought it.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18259 Posts

First of all ... lol at Nintendo caring about the Smash competitive scene, i bet they would be happier if it didn't exist.

Second, it would be dumb to add Smash into an online tournament, that's just a no no.

Third, Killer Instinct is definitely an odd exclusion because the online is pretty good, then again the game has not been in the lineup since 2016/2015 i think.

Last but not least, EVO has always been a Sony focused event but not because of anything brand related.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 nintendoboy16

@madsnakehhh said:

First of all ... lol at Nintendo caring about the Smash competitive scene, i bet they would be happier if it didn't exist.

Second, it would be dumb to add Smash into an online tournament, that's just a no no.

Third, Killer Instinct is definitely an odd exclusion because the online is pretty good, then again the game has not been in the lineup since 2016/2015 i think.

Last but not least, EVO has always been a Sony focused event but not because of anything brand related.

That's why I said they need to get their heads out of their asses! Also, definitely better police it too.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23720 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

No Virtua Fighter? 😥

@vfighter said:

No VF5:US?!?

Online event. I'm sure it could eke out a spot as a side game this year if it were local play. FS still had side games previously.

Aside from those headliners all being the most popular traditional FGs at the moment, they all have at least a decent implementation of rollback netcode. VF5 would be wildly inconsistent between the relay server setup and delay based netcode. Can't really play a fighting game competitively with 5-10 frames of additional input delay being common. For both spectators and especially competitors, would be a disaster.

Some of the side games are also delay based, like DBFZ for example. But that game just has a much larger player base at the moment and doesn't work off some wonky relay system, so isn't as inconsistent in practice.

Sega just cursed VF5:US for online play out the gate, sucks.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#35  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

Tekken 7 is a godlike game, but as an online tourny being the main stagey type game is kind of wack. Both SFV n Tekken 7 have bad net code, should have replaced both with games that have better netcode.

Obviously if we had locals back they would be main games, as they are ace, but for online tourny shit they should have considered ones that have good implementation of rollback. Mk11 is wack, but it makes sense. Strive also has great netcode, tho shit structure.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18259 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:
@madsnakehhh said:

That's why I said they need to get their heads out of their asses! Also, definitely better police it too.

Oh, i thought you were talking about Sony. Well, yeah Nintendo needs to do that.

Also, and as unpopular as this sounds ... the whole drama with the players, was blown out of proportion, the community received a lot of undeserving hate, some douches took advantage of the drama (f you Esam) and some other players were falsely accused like Nairo or Mewtwo King. So yeah ...

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nintendoboy16

@madsnakehhh: A bit of both. Sorry for Not being clear.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By VFighter

@ConanTheStoner: That sucks, but I didn't realize that EVO was going to be online this year, thought it would go back to it's traditional style.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By uninspiredcup

@judaspete said:

@uninspiredcup: Man, really? Have any of their recent games done well? I've heard KoF 14 wasn't a big hit either, and can't imagine Heroines sold that great.

On the PC side yea, they usually do pretty poor. Can't comment on the console end, and that's obv where the bulk of sales will be.

But just compared to other fighting games released on PC, well...

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 judaspete

@uninspiredcup: Oof. SNK had always been kinda niche, but damn.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ZeroTheHero

@madsnakehhh said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@madsnakehhh said:

Oh, i thought you were talking about Sony. Well, yeah Nintendo needs to do that.

Also, and as unpopular as this sounds ... the whole drama with the players, was blown out of proportion, the community received a lot of undeserving hate, some douches took advantage of the drama (f you Esam) and some other players were falsely accused like Nairo or Mewtwo King. So yeah ...

Smash community is pretty gross I dunno if they take showers they don't treat women and trans people good. They got a ton of issues to plow through.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Mesome713

Without Smash, EVO is dead. RIP.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ZeroTheHero

@mesome713 said:

Without Smash, EVO is dead. RIP.

Did sony kick smash out because its not on playstation? Are people yelling about evo now?

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Mesome713

@zerothehero: Not sure what your talking about. I’m talking about EVO.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8344 Posts

@mesome713 said:

@zerothehero: Not sure what your talking about. I’m talking about EVO.

EVO should bring back smash