So does Crysis actually have gameplay or what?

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Yeah the thread title is a bit of an exaggeration, but... Well, how many Crysis threads do we need extolling the virtues of how pretty it is? I don't think I've ever seen anyone actually talk about the gameplay outside a few isolated incidents, just is graphics... And if that's all people talk about, then is it REALLY a good game worth discussing? Sure, it's a pretty game and teh modz and teh foliage but what the hell is the point? wE get it, mods make the game look better. so what? Why do we need a thread about this seemingly every other day?

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

The first one did, the second one was boring.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

The first one actually had some great gameplay. I never played the others, so I don't know how they turned out.

But yes, Crysis was awesome fun. Of course it looked so damn great for its time that most people focused on the graphics and as a result, many people that never played it just called it a glorified tech demo... how wrong they were.

The thing about Crysis is that the gameplay is as good as you make it. You're free to do so much with the mechanics and the world around you, but if you're not creative enough to take advantage of it then it sucks for you.

killatwill15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 killatwill15
Member since 2013 • 855 Posts

crysis 1 did have gameplay,

but it wasn't very good,

crysis 1 is basically the miss Utah 2013 of gaming,

fucking sexy,

but as sharp as a spoon

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

in Crysis games because it is a first person shooter you have a cross-hair right in the middle of the screen which you have to center on enemies to shoot and kill them. Beside that revolutionary gameplay mechanic of the FPS genre you have a suit that allows you to move fast and stuff.

As you can see, it's pretty crazy stuff indeed.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#6 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

The fact that the Nanosuit actually gives you options on how to take an objective is pretty damn brilliant. Do you go stealth? Or gun in and gun out? Maybe throwing a flammable barrel is more your thing? Or sometimes, you just need to take the damage.

Crysis 1 should not be remembered for its graphics, it should be remembered for the power ups you can activate on the fly.

killatwill15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 killatwill15

@hiphops_savior said:

The fact that the Nanosuit actually gives you options on how to take an objective is pretty damn brilliant. Do you go stealth? Or gun in and gun out? Maybe throwing a flammable barrel is more your thing? Or sometimes, you just need to take the damage.

Crysis 1 should not be remembered for its graphics, it should be remembered for the power ups you can activate on the fly.

the power ups that were poorly implemented,

seriously have you played the game at higher difficulties?

this game is remembered for its graphics because everything about it was forgettable,

was the story good? no

did they have interesting characters? no

enemies? no,

and to not aid the problem,

the aforementioned terrible gameplay mechanics,

the suit should've been the focus of the game,

not side saddled to use uninteresting weaponry,

that has been seen in other "by the numbers" fps games before it

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Crytek games in general do not have gameplay.

I wonder if Homefront 2 will continue that distinguished legacy.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

barely

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

First one had amazing gameplay and visuals. I'd still go back and play that over the 2nd and 3rd ones.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Yawn. This thread again.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

@killatwill15 said:

crysis 1 did have gameplay,

but it wasn't very good,

crysis 1 is basically the miss Utah 2013 of gaming,

fucking sexy,

but as sharp as a spoon

Couldn't have put it better.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

so what is it? good gameplay or not? still too many different opinions to make a final call. One person says "great gameplay"..the next person says "nothing great"..is it,..or is it not?

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

I really liked Crysis 1 gameplay. You actually couldn't do much with its sandbox approach, but you could attack the enemy base from every direction you wanted.

I liked Nanosuit powers and customizable weapons.

So imho, Crysis 1 is the best in the series.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

The original and more so Warhead had great gameplay. A bit tech demoish at times(original at least), but that game was oh so badass as far as emergent gameplay concerned.

It's the sequels that fucked all of that up.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

Still the same. Consololites still hating on Crysis while never ever seen it in action. Crysis has the best gameplay of any FPS that came after HL2.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#17 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I enjoyed the first one but I didn't like crisis 2.

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

@VanDammFan said:

so what is it? good gameplay or not? still too many different opinions to make a final call. One person says "great gameplay"..the next person says "nothing great"..is it,..or is it not?

It's like people like different games.

@killatwill15 said:

was the story good? no

I don't see how story and interesting characters matter and the suit was great.

It was one of the few sandbox shooters in the era of corridor, cinematic FPSs. It throws you in a big island right from the start. You can approach the enemy base however you want, vehicles, day/night cycle, power suit, gunplay is satisfying. The first one was a great FPS. I didn't like 2 and 3 though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y5KiJt9oxg#t=143

longtonguecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19  Edited By longtonguecat
Member since 2008 • 2558 Posts

Crysis had great gameplay for its time - people down playing it probably premptively jumped to that conclusion because all they heard about it was the graphics and assumed the rest of it was terrible. The large sandbox levels were a lot of fun and made you feel like a great tactician picking which tools of yours you would use. If anyone wants to bash the game just mention the story or characters though - reminded me of a Michael Bay movie in that regard.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@turtlethetaffer said:

Yeah the thread title is a bit of an exaggeration, but... Well, how many Crysis threads do we need extolling the virtues of how pretty it is? I don't think I've ever seen anyone actually talk about the gameplay outside a few isolated incidents, just is graphics... And if that's all people talk about, then is it REALLY a good game worth discussing? Sure, it's a pretty game and teh modz and teh foliage but what the hell is the point? wE get it, mods make the game look better. so what? Why do we need a thread about this seemingly every other day?

Yes there is and quite good too. The game have imaginative ways of killing enemies instead of the point point, shoot shoot of all other FPS games.

Edit:

The game is laid out like a sim. That is, enemies are organized into patrols with patrol routes and not just enemies randomly sprinkled around. They stick to their routes. But, they don't always behave the same. The same patrol may leisurely walk single file along a trail. On a different playthrough, the same patrol may be sprinting fast, or they may not even roam. They're under cover waiting for you to come to them. Sometimes, they'd even be prone in a circle, guns facing outward.

lunar1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By lunar1122
Member since 2012 • 784 Posts

I found crysis 2 to be decent.. Crysis 1 was probably their best.. Crysis 3 was okay.. I think the Bow and Arrow ruined that game for me personally . It didnt feel cool , it felt awkward and cloaked bow and arrows was ez mode nonsense.

Crytek has a track record of making their expansions "even worst" .So i wouldnt expect much for another crysis or ryse.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@turtlethetaffer: Why don't you name your favorite FPS and discuss specifics of why you think it's better than Crysis. You'll get more responses than the generic crap you post.

You mentioned gameplay. Then discuss gameplay specifics.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Well If you wana talk Gameplay then Crysis has actually been improving its sequels in that area ever since it went Multiplatform.

The next one should come to the Wii U, maybe that would make it better ;)

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts

At the time, the gameplay in Crysis was pretty revolutionary in a lot of different ways. My favorite being the way the physics were handled. You could be in a house, the enemy could throw a grenade and leave you completely exposed. Or being able to turn on strength mode and easily create your own "door" into a building. Or being able to kill enemies by shooting down trees. Everything in the game felt fully interactive. Everything could be broken or thrown and used as a weapon and this was all done in 2007. Compare this to a 2013 survival game like the Last of Us where the only items you can pick up and throw are... bricks and bottles with a completely static environment. The fact that they didn't take advantage of this and bring it to the next level in Crysis 2 and 3 are major disappointments. (That + the removal of power struggle)

Here's a good commentary on what makes its gameplay so great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyQTCeobZlg

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Tech demos aren't meant to be played

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

Crysis is pretty old so for it's time it was okay, is it good now like RE4 or Doom 2 or other games from the past that you can still enjoy today? nope. Crytech sucks at developing entertainment, but that's just my opinion.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

There is gameplay, but people really just play Crisis for the Graphics.

The First game has terrible AI though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@hiphops_savior said:

... you make it sound like this is rare.

now lets go back to reality.

stealth - 12 seconds then a long ass recharge time, same with speed ect.

it was all a big pile of "meh" "powerups on the fly" you sound like their marketing crap =/

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#30  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto: Because I was trying to point out that no one EVER talks about the graphics here. I just saw another thread about Cryis vs Far Cry 3 graphics wise and it's getting old as hell.

But ya I think my favorite recent FPS would be Far Cry 3. Terrible story and characters but the free form gameplay was great. Taking down bases in a variety of different ways is empowering and awesome.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

Crysis and Crysis Warhead were great games

Crysis 2 was a borefest

Crysis 3 actually improved alot on Crysis 2 though still far from Crysis 1 and warhead quality ( still decent game though )

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#32 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14413 Posts

Crysis 2 was great.

Stealth didn't work, but you don't play a shooter to be stealthy so it doesn't matter.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

Not that I know of.

I can't move, or do anything. It just makes me stand there, looking at godrays coming through the trees.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Crysis has great gameplay, it won FPS of the year here at Gamespot beating Halo 3, Bioshock, Call Of Duty 4 and The Orange Box. So yeah, it's not just purty graphics. Contrary to System Wars, you don't have to choose just one of graphics or gameplay... you can have top quality in both :P

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

Crysis was a great game, awesome follow up to Farcry. Warhead messed it up a little but still was good. Crysis 2 messed it up even further but still slightly managed to be okay. Crysis 3 was even more messed up, that was enough for me.

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

The first had great gameplay. Problem is that the possibilities are not obvious. Many people, for example, still think speed is useless. The gunplay perhaps is not that great, but the movement in the game is a great.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#39  Edited By donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

It has tremendous, sandbox shooter game play. The nano abilities gave you a great toolset for tackling problems. Crisis 2 limited the sandbox by turning the game into a more linear affair without the go-anywhere appeal. Crisis 3 made some improvements based on the criticism for part 2, but the fact that it was ported to consoles still resulted in a game that felt limited and comparatively linear compared to part 1. So yeah, the game play is great, it just felt a lot better when it had an open world, go anywhere, do anything feel. Think Skyrim with guns... a bit like Far Cry 3.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

@hiphops_savior said:

... you make it sound like this is rare.

now lets go back to reality.

stealth - 12 seconds then a long ass recharge time, same with speed ect.

it was all a big pile of "meh" "powerups on the fly" you sound like their marketing crap =/

Marketing? When I played Crysis for first time, the fact that you can use Camo just blew me away. Far Cry gave you options of how to take an objective, but Crysis made you a super soldier with tools to take down mooks.

killatwill15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By killatwill15

@edidili said:

@VanDammFan said:

It's like people like different games.

@killatwill15 said:

was the story good? no

I don't see how story and interesting characters matter and the suit was great.

It was one of the few sandbox shooters in the era of corridor, cinematic FPSs. It throws you in a big island right from the start. You can approach the enemy base however you want, vehicles, day/night cycle, power suit, gunplay is satisfying. The first one was a great FPS. I didn't like 2 and 3 though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y5KiJt9oxg#t=143

hip hops saviour said the game shouldn't be remembered for its graphics,

so I gave him reasons as to why it will,

that is why the sequels sucked,

because the source was trash.

and compared to other fps games,

crysis failed as a competent shooter, and open world game,

only the graphics make it note worthy,

it is nothing but an over priced benchmarking tool

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jun_aka_pekto

@turtlethetaffer said:

@jun_aka_pekto: Because I was trying to point out that no one EVER talks about the graphics here. I just saw another thread about Cryis vs Far Cry 3 graphics wise and it's getting old as hell.

But ya I think my favorite recent FPS would be Far Cry 3. Terrible story and characters but the free form gameplay was great. Taking down bases in a variety of different ways is empowering and awesome.

Trumping up graphics hold true for many FPS games. There's gameplay in games like BF4 and the KZ games. But most of the the time, it's their graphics everyone talks about.

Crysis used to be my most-played FPS game until Far Cry 3 came along. As I said in a different thread, Far Cry 3 out-Crysised Crysis.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@Epak_ said:

The first one did, the second one was boring.

correct answer. Crysis 1 let me take a huge detour around a mountain and slap c4 on trucks and drive them through buildings, use speed and strength modes, etc. Then they took all the fun away

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

You joined in 2009 and the game released in 2007. Of course you haven't heard much about it. The hyped died long before you joined.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

I thought the gameplay in Crysis and Warhead when they came out were amazing. Going invis and being able to plot out your own plan in a big sandbox were rare sights in FPS gaming. Really just Farcry before Crysis.

The gameplay might be a bit dated now.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

The first Crysis had excellent gameplay, I loved it. Shame the other two didn't hold the line...

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#47 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

I have Crysis for the PC... I think the gameplay was horrible, and still is. The AI was stupid and it was just run and shoot. Did not had to take any cover at all.

But then again I did not buy it in the year the game came out.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

It definitely did. It was actually surprisingly good too imo depending on how you played it.

I do agree that we gush over teh grafix a bit too much on games like this. Keeps the game from being known as anything other than an eye pleaser to people who have not played it.