So can we all agree that Bioshock Infinite...

• 134 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by Ghost120x (3604 posts) -

I'm going to play it later today, I got it on ps+ but I have avoided the game for so long because I didn't like the direction it was going in. I loved bioshock 1 but hated 2 ,and my hopes for this game is low.

#52 Edited by mems_1224 (45633 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

@Link3301 said:

@mems_1224 said:

@Link3301 said:

@mems_1224 said: Infinite was incredible.

Please elaborate.

Whats there to elaborate on? It was a great game, unlike the first Bioshock.

But it didn't really do anyhting better than any other games, and way worse in other departments.

It had a great story, a great setting and great characters. If you go into a Bioshock game expecting good gameplay then you're doing it wrong.

Dafuq? I loved the gameplay. How can a game be good if it has bad gameplay? These aren't movies man. You PLAY it for the majority of the time.

I never said it was bad.

#53 Posted by Animal-Mother (26150 posts) -

Nah. Loved Infinite. Great story, good characters, excellent world building, and Skylines were ace.

Is it a flawed game? Sure. Most are. Doesn't make it bad, and I don't think it's overrated.

Overrated in what sense?

Metascore? lots of games last year were given more credit than they deserve

Hype train? sure, but GTA 5 had a monster hype train as well

Is the game bad or incapable of entertaining? no, matter of fact it's a pretty solid game. It has a lot of misfires, but that's triple A game design for you.

#54 Edited by Bread_or_Decide (17046 posts) -

Its a fantastic game. I do not agree with you at all.

#55 Posted by VendettaRed07 (13997 posts) -

lt was overhyped more than it was overrated.

#56 Posted by pelvist (4441 posts) -

Yes it is overrated but not as overrated as Halo games or TLOU are.

#57 Posted by adamosmaki (9339 posts) -

You can agree with yourself. For me the game is a 9 out of 10

Good story, way above average combat, excellent characters, great graphics ( both artistic and technical ) and the best companion character in a game (Elizabeth is freaking great )

Out of 3 Bioshocks for me it was the best

#58 Posted by Heil68 (42461 posts) -

SW's never agrees on anything.

#59 Posted by coasterguy65 (5672 posts) -

There is never going to be a point where everyone agrees, especially in System Wars. That being said, Infinite was a great game. Great story, great game play, and a very nice addition to the Bioshock storyline. I think it's about time for another play through for me actually.

#60 Posted by freedomfreak (37958 posts) -

Underwhelming, but I enjoyed it.

Still prefer the first Bioshock.

#61 Edited by finalfantasy94 (26136 posts) -

Nah, Journey and the Souls games are way more overrated. Infinite was incredible.

I agree with the journey comment.On topic I thought infinite was great.

#62 Edited by finalfantasy94 (26136 posts) -

Yes, most overrated of the year and up there for generation. Infinite wastes it's wonderful creation with emptiness. It spends so much time focusing on trying to be a tricky story of dimension jumping. The shooting is ok, but it's just really just a sequence of shooting areas and you move forward to the next. Bioshock 1 and 2 had a real sense of place, in that you'd spend serious time in areas and have to set up traps or go in a different direction then come back to a hub area where it was filled with other splicers. Elizabeth is a good character, but she is not a great one. See Alyx of Ellie for great AI partners.

I think the main reason people love it is because of the setting, those "ooh ahh" moments when you are floating on the cloud in a building. I concede that actually designing the story would have taken some considerable thought and preparation, but it comes at a huge cost to the actual experience imo. Not a bad game, but far from greatness.

you used traps?I dont think I ever did that in the game.

#63 Edited by Bread_or_Decide (17046 posts) -

@finalfantasy94 said:

@nutcrackr said:

Yes, most overrated of the year and up there for generation. Infinite wastes it's wonderful creation with emptiness. It spends so much time focusing on trying to be a tricky story of dimension jumping. The shooting is ok, but it's just really just a sequence of shooting areas and you move forward to the next. Bioshock 1 and 2 had a real sense of place, in that you'd spend serious time in areas and have to set up traps or go in a different direction then come back to a hub area where it was filled with other splicers. Elizabeth is a good character, but she is not a great one. See Alyx of Ellie for great AI partners.

I think the main reason people love it is because of the setting, those "ooh ahh" moments when you are floating on the cloud in a building. I concede that actually designing the story would have taken some considerable thought and preparation, but it comes at a huge cost to the actual experience imo. Not a bad game, but far from greatness.

The beauty of Bioshock as a series is you play the game however you want. After I discovered the murder of crows trap upgrade in Bioshock Infinite on my second play through it was too fun. Bioshock is as fun as you make it. Play it dumb and all you get is dumb. It gives you the tools. What you do with those tools is up to you.

#64 Edited by Joedgabe (5087 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@nutcrackr said:

The beauty of Bioshock as a series is you play the game however you want. After I discovered the murder of crows trap upgrade in Bioshock Infinite on my second play through it was too fun. Bioshock is as fun as you make it. Play it dumb and all you get is dumb. It gives you the tools. What you do with those tools is up to you.

Well said, i find Bioshock to be the most fun FPS that I've played because of the abilities at your disposal. However saying that the one thing about infinite that will always bother me is the lack of "Big daddy" type enemies, while there are those big robot dudes it really felt lacking in that department. Big Daddies had different gear and you had to sometimes plan out how to fight them as the game became increasingly difficult towards the end because of their health and damage. On infinite it just felt like repetitive enemies sadly.

On that note i'd like to say Bioshock 1 > Bioshock 2 > Bioshock infinite. Even though i didn't finish Bioshock 2 because my gamefile got deleted it was great fun until the point that i played. ( about 3 hours in )

#65 Edited by texasgoldrush (9037 posts) -

@Link3301 said:

@mems_1224 said:

@Link3301 said:

Please elaborate.

But it didn't really do anyhting better than any other games, and way worse in other departments.

It had a great story, a great setting and great characters. If you go into a Bioshock game expecting good gameplay then you're doing it wrong.

No it didn't.

The story is not only conceptually flawed, it is thematically a mess and makes liberal use of handwaves to patch up its illogical aspects. The characters outside the deuteragonist got very little depth, and many promising characters, like Daisy Fitzroy, suffer from motive decay. The setting was great, but it is abandoned for its time space deus ex machina exploration plot. And the ending simply does not work because the themes and characters lack too much depth.

Nevermind the plot rips off Bioshock 2, and Finkton is awfully like Fable III.

#66 Posted by mems_1224 (45633 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

@Link3301 said:

@mems_1224 said:

@Link3301 said:

Please elaborate.

No it didn't.

The story is not only conceptually flawed, it is thematically a mess and makes liberal use of handwaves to patch up its illogical aspects. The characters outside the deuteragonist got very little depth, and many promising characters, like Daisy Fitzroy, suffer from motive decay. The setting was great, but it is abandoned for its time space deus ex machina exploration plot. And the ending simply does not work because the themes and characters lack too much depth.

Still better than Ass Effect 3. U mad?

#67 Posted by texasgoldrush (9037 posts) -

@texasgoldrush said:

@mems_1224 said:

@Link3301 said:

@mems_1224 said:

@Link3301 said:

Please elaborate.

No it didn't.

Funny that you cannot debate my points.....

#68 Posted by DaBrainz (7602 posts) -

I bought the trilogy for $30 back for the autumn steam sale. I'm still trying to make my way through the 1st one. One of the most boring games I ever played. Trying to get my moneys worth though. Doubt I'll ever make it to Infinite.

#69 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16272 posts) -

Can't say, but I found the first one to be "meh" at best in every department except production values. I'll admit, the game was damn pretty and sounded great. Aside from that, gameplay had a ton of potential but was taken down by the need to take so many goddamn pictures, and the story tries it's best to say something but doesn't really elaborate on any of its major themes.

#70 Posted by CrownKingArthur (3495 posts) -
@DaBrainz said:

I bought the trilogy for $30 back for the autumn steam sale. I'm still trying to make my way through the 1st one. One of the most boring games I ever played. Trying to get my moneys worth though. Doubt I'll ever make it to Infinite.

so funny that you would say that man. i was one of the dudes who bought bioshock day-1, and had to deal with the silly securom DRM and stuff back in the day. now if i think back, i remember enjoying myself.

Now, moving to recent times, because i'd forgotten the game's plot apart from "would you kindly?", i went back to play bioshock 1 again and i thought the same things you are saying now. i didn't think it was very enjoyable. i did find it pretty boring.

so weird though, after talking about it, now i want to play it again! lol just to remind myself of what it's like.

but yes, i think it got a bit too hyped up back in the day.

#71 Posted by Krelian-co (9774 posts) -

@DaBrainz said:

so funny that you would say that man. i was one of the dudes who bought bioshock day-1, and had to deal with the silly securom DRM and stuff back in the day. now if i think back, i remember enjoying myself.

Now, moving to recent times, because i'd forgotten the game's plot apart from "would you kindly?", i went back to play bioshock 1 again and i thought the same things you are saying now. i didn't think it was very enjoyable. i did find it pretty boring.

so weird though, after talking about it, now i want to play it again! lol just to remind myself of what it's like.

game is great is just too slow for the attention span of 0.1s of kids these days.

#72 Posted by mems_1224 (45633 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

@texasgoldrush said:

@mems_1224 said:

@Link3301 said:

@mems_1224 said:

@Link3301 said:

Please elaborate.

No it didn't.

Funny that you cannot debate my points.....

I dont have debates with insane people. Its alot more fun to just instigate and watch you ramble on like a deranged lunatic.

#73 Edited by AznbkdX (3101 posts) -

Man I would like to love the first one as much as some of you guys do, but it felt like it was rigid in its gameplay. It just didn't feel natural at all compared to Infinite. I'll agree that the setting and handling of fire fights was better, but it was hard to like actually getting into fights with enemies imo.

Overall I might say it is a better game than Infinite as a whole, but the combat bugged the crap out of me personally.

#74 Edited by CrownKingArthur (3495 posts) -

@CrownKingArthur said:
@DaBrainz said:

game is great is just too slow for the attention span of 0.1s of kids these days.

like i said i played the game twice, years apart. once with hype of a new release, once without. and derp, i even said i'd play it a third time.

if you care, all around including boredom, i'd go with an 8/10.

if you don't like this opinion i formed through exposure to the game, great. if you have to resort to insults, that's really really good - honestly, my favorite.

#75 Edited by danten81 (129 posts) -

Might as well just call it "Garbage Raider"

#76 Posted by Solid_Link22 (5583 posts) -

Yes i agree Bioshock Infinite is awesome

#77 Edited by Pikminmaniac (8525 posts) -

Yeah I wasn't impressed with it very much. Not completely terrible, but not very good at all really.

I've yet to play a story driven game that actually works well. There's usually sub standard gameplay in order to pull off the narrative better and then the narrative gets compromised by being inconsistent with enjoyable gameplay design.

#78 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8217 posts) -

@ AznbkdX

Thats exactly how it is. But somepeople just won't admit it.

#79 Posted by Link3301 (1680 posts) -

@mems_1224: nope ME3 was far better than this game.

#80 Edited by chocolate1325 (32368 posts) -

Can't agree loved the world of Columbia but it did have some issues but not alot for me but the Elizabeth character was amazing.

#81 Posted by mems_1224 (45633 posts) -
#82 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (5388 posts) -

Infinite is one of my favourite games of all time. I loved it!

#83 Posted by Stringerboy (6871 posts) -

Nah, Journey and the Souls games are way more overrated. Infinite was incredible.

Incredible game indeed.

#84 Posted by Krelian-co (9774 posts) -
#85 Posted by heretrix (37226 posts) -

All threads starting out with "... can we all agree" is insta fail.

Pretty much. I liked BI until the ending, which I still won't go back to.

#86 Edited by cooolio (421 posts) -

@Link3301 said:

@mems_1224 said:

@Link3301 said:

Please elaborate.

You said that the first bioshock was a bad game and praised Infinite while basically saying that the gameplay is not good and not important. Complete bs. YOU are doing it wrong.

#87 Posted by lazerface216 (7449 posts) -

the game was a total letdown for me. every single aspect of bioshock infinite was done better in the original. gunplay, plasmids, story, characters, atmosphere, music, level design etc...

don't get me wrong, it's not a shit game or anything, but it had a lot to live up to and it didn't come close.

#88 Posted by lazerface216 (7449 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

Incredible game indeed.

LMFAO!!! so many questions unanswered. so many plot holes. so much game critic hype.

so sad.

#89 Edited by Shielder7 (4432 posts) -

I really liked it, I thought it was a lot better than the 2ed one so yeah can't agree with you at all..

#90 Posted by Shielder7 (4432 posts) -

@Link3301 said:

At what sucking and generally not making any sense?

#91 Edited by texasgoldrush (9037 posts) -

@Shielder7 said:

I really liked it, I thought it was a lot better than the 2ed one so yeah can't agree with you at all..

no, the second one is far better...why?

CONSISTENCY

Hell, Bioshock Infinite is what you get when you tell Bioshock 2 poorly. With worse characters, with a more ridiculous plot, and with more thematic confusion.

#92 Posted by texasgoldrush (9037 posts) -

@Link3301 said:

No, it makes perfect sense, and the entire game not only foreshadows it, but brings up themes that come up big in the ending.

#93 Posted by Krelian-co (9774 posts) -

@Shielder7 said:

@Link3301 said:

No, it makes perfect sense, and the entire game not only foreshadows it, but brings up themes that come up big in the ending.

why are u still talking as if someone gives a flying fuk what you think?

#94 Edited by mems_1224 (45633 posts) -

@texasgoldrush said:

@Shielder7 said:

@Link3301 said:

Because, like I said earlier, he's insane. Im not saying that in a joking sort of way, I honestly think he has some sort of psychological disorder.

#95 Edited by texasgoldrush (9037 posts) -

@Krelian-co said:

@texasgoldrush said:

@Shielder7 said:

@Link3301 said:

Because, like I said earlier, he's insane. Im not saying that in a joking sort of way, I honestly think he has some sort of psychological disorder.

No, I just pay attention to the story.

And I have paid attention to Bioshock infinite, the depth just isn't there.

#96 Posted by mems_1224 (45633 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

@Krelian-co said:

@texasgoldrush said:

@Shielder7 said:

@Link3301 said:

No, I just pay attention to the story.

And I have paid attention to Bioshock infinite, the depth just isn't there.

Is that what the voices are telling you to say?

#97 Edited by texasgoldrush (9037 posts) -

@lazerface216 said:

@Stringerboy said:

@mems_1224 said:

Incredible game indeed.

LMFAO!!! so many questions unanswered. so many plot holes. so much game critic hype.

so sad.

Here is the real kicker.

Why is that when Booker accepts the baptism, he will ALWAYS become a evil religious nut who creates a city and steals the child of the Booker who doesn't accept the baptism, always a drunk gambler who would sell his daughter? In a universe of infinite possibilities, why does Booker only have two paths? Why can't the Booker who accepts the baptism be a tolerant man and why can't Booker who doesn't, stay sober and take care of his daughter?

This logic in itself is bad, however, with the piss poor characterization of Booker, its worse.

#98 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8217 posts) -

@ mems_1224

The Voices in my head are never wrong, feel free to make fun of them. They're still right. Bioshock Infinite's multiverse idea its big mistake both narratively and mechanically.

#99 Posted by texasgoldrush (9037 posts) -

@ mems_1224

The Voices in my head are never wrong, feel free to make fun of them. They're still right. Bioshock Infinite's multiverse idea its big mistake both narratively and mechanically.

Not really actually, not the biggest problem.

The biggest problem is the weak characterization and the thematic confusion of the narrative. And it really lacks the depth in a lot of areas.

I do think Infinite really got chopped up to get out of development hell and it shows.

#100 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8217 posts) -

@ texasgoldrush

I didn't like the Boys of Silence. Playing hide and seek with them is not as fun as doing it in Splinter Cell.

Oh and theres that entire section with Ladie Comstock.

To be honest I'd rather play that game as Elizabeth, I think I wouldve gotten more out of her than Booker.